PDA

View Full Version : How do I get rid of this?

tazban1
Aug 16th, 2003, 08:31 AM
The other day I was on my computer. I left the computer for like 5 minutes. When I came back, there was something called Xupiter downloaded on my computer and I don't know how it got on there. Xupiter.com somehow became my home page and there is a Xupiter tool bar on my browser now.

Fixing the home page issue was easy, but I can't figure out how to get rid of the tool bar. I looked in the control panel and it isn't listed in the add/remove list. I tried right clicking and it doesn't do anything.

per4ever
Aug 16th, 2003, 09:09 AM
install adaware 6.. and see if it's still there after you run the program

http://www.lavasoftusa.com/support/download/

Jordan.
Aug 16th, 2003, 09:11 AM
Thanks K. :)

Chance
Aug 16th, 2003, 09:16 AM
OMG the same thing happend to me. Also another thing that happens is 3 or 4 windows pop up with Xupiter and then my computer freezes.
Also you can change your homepage, but after a while it's back to Xupiter :(

decemberlove
Aug 16th, 2003, 09:17 AM
you gotta install adaware, restart, rerun it again, then install internet explorer again.

itll get rid of it totally.

ZvonarevaFan
Aug 16th, 2003, 10:01 AM
then install internet explorer again.

Probably best to ignore this bit. :)

tazban1
Aug 16th, 2003, 10:39 AM
Thanks.

You'd think it would be illegal for someone to invent something that gets downloaded on your computer without the owner's permission. :fiery:

tazban1
Aug 16th, 2003, 10:44 AM
OMG the same thing happend to me. Also another thing that happens is 3 or 4 windows pop up with Xupiter and then my computer freezes.
Also you can change your homepage, but after a while it's back to Xupiter :(

Have you been getting more pop-ups since the Xupiter problem? I've noticed that I get these pop-ups that I never got before.

When I first got the Xupiter, I had the multiple windows problem, but that only happened right afterward. Also, when I fixed the home page, it did go back to Xupiter right afterwards, but I fixed it again and I didn't have a problem with it since.

The other weird thing is that all the stuff on the Xupiter tool bar somehow showed up in one of the folders in my "favorites". It was strange because it was all in a folder I created for "shopping".

maccardel
Aug 16th, 2003, 01:52 PM
You can use add/remove programs from your control panel or better yet you can use system restore to go back to a time before this happened....... some systems come with gateway goback........try using that.

*JR*
Aug 16th, 2003, 02:21 PM
Not only does Xupiter do this, but these sons of bitches (who practice what's innocuously called "data mining") have a (phony) "remove" command of their own. Indeed that will "release" the default setting for your start page, but leave the "spyware" that "mines data" re. your surfing habits intact! Plus they own many domain names that masquerade as search engines, news sites, etc. and even get "news items" listed as links on legitimate search engines like Google. AND, the same fucking whores in the industry groups who smile on the fact that one cannot (in Internet Explorer) disable the "...page may not display correctly" box permanently if one disables Active X (moving ads, basically) welcome Xupiter as a member in good standing. :mad: BTW, Netscape has been "euthanized" re. taking new customers by AOL after a $4.2 billion loss where they never even made it their "own" browser, with it's clone Mozilla likely to soon follow; Opera sux, meaning IE is basically "it". :rolleyes:

Martian Willow
Aug 16th, 2003, 03:20 PM
Opera sucks how? I'm not sure I understood the rest of those last two sentences either. I thought Mozilla was based on Mosaic. :confused:

controlfreak
Aug 16th, 2003, 03:37 PM
lol, install one piece of software so you can get rid of another one... :rolleyes:

PS: if you think Opera sucks you have obviously never seen me surfing through WTAWorld in it (but that wouldn't be surprising cos it is so damn fast!) :cool:

Chance
Aug 16th, 2003, 04:32 PM
thanks for the info, it looks like it worked :D

Now if only I can make my computer faster.......

Mase
Aug 16th, 2003, 06:21 PM
Damn Xupiter got me too, lol. I removed it and now its not on my tool bar so Im not having so many problems.. Bastards, hahaha...

Big Fat Pink Elephant
Aug 16th, 2003, 06:25 PM
my IT professor was also Opera's inventor's professor..... ;)

decemberlove
Aug 16th, 2003, 06:38 PM
Probably best to ignore this bit. :)

dont thnk so honey

it wont wipe out favorites or anything

Martian Willow
Aug 16th, 2003, 08:03 PM
dont thnk so honey

it wont wipe out favorites or anything

I know that sugar, I (ie me) was suggesting replacing it with a different browser. :)

decemberlove
Aug 17th, 2003, 02:20 AM
ahh kk, i thought you were saying it was a no-no