PDA

View Full Version : Tourists Who Whine; Power Back In New York

Venus Forever
Aug 16th, 2003, 03:04 AM
Portion in Bold about whining tourists. ;)

All Power Back in New York City

By SARA KUGLER, Associated Press Writer

NEW YORK - Nearly 29 hours after a massive blackout struck, all power was restored to New York City, a utility spokeswoman said late Friday.

Consolidated Edison spokeswoman D. Joy Faber said power was fully restored at 9:03 p.m.

"We are 100 percent back," she said. "Hundreds of employees are working around the clock and will continue to work through the weekend to stabilize the system and to try to prevent any further disruptions."

Still, the city was not completely recovered from the outage, which affected about 50 million people in eight states and Ontario.

Subway trains, still halted where they were when power blacked out Thursday afternoon, were not expected to be operating fully until at least Saturday. Transit officials had said it could take eight hours after power was restored to resume service for the system, which moves about 5 million riders daily.

The blackout occurred at 4:11 p.m. Thursday. On Friday, thousands of people were still trying to get home, businesses were closed and workers were taking an enforced three-day weekend.

Hundreds of flights at the region's three major airports were delayed or canceled because of the blackout, but full electrical power was restored by Friday evening to LaGuardia Airport and Newark Liberty International Airport and to all passenger terminals at John F. Kennedy International Airport.

The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, which runs the airports, said it would restrict access if the gridlock on the roads leading to the airports worsened.

The City Council finance office estimated the blackout cost the city up to $750 million in lost revenue, up to $40 million in lost tax revenue and up to $10 million in overtime pay for the first 24 hours after electricity went out.

Metro-North commuter trains were still crippled Friday, with only six diesel trains running from Grand Central Terminal, where crews barked updates through bullhorns.

Rumpled and unshaven commuters stranded in Manhattan overnight streamed on foot toward Grand Central Terminal and Pennsylvania Station.

"There were people sleeping in their chairs at the trading desks, others on sofas in the conference rooms," said Ted Sullivan, as he headed down Madison Avenue, hoping to catch a train home to Princeton Junction, N.J.

Workers who did make it home Thursday night were left at morning rush hour to squeeze onto buses, hail the rare cab, sweat it out on foot or take the day off.

"I think most people stayed home," Mayor Michael Bloomberg said on his weekly radio show Friday morning. "You walk around the city and traffic is flowing."

Sanitation Commissioner John Doherty said crews would work overtime through the weekend, collecting trash much of it piled up on steamy sidewalks as New Yorkers cleaned spoiled food from warm refrigerators.

Officials opened several cooling centers for people perspiring in the sticky heat, and the parks department hooked up 600 sprinklers in parks throughout the city.

Thursday's dark night saw about 60 serious fires, the majority of which were sparked by lighted candles, Bloomberg said. One person died of a heart attack, a firefighter was injured and a police officer became ill.

The city received 80,000 calls to its 911 line more than double the usual and emergency medical personnel responded to 5,000 calls. Hundreds were rescued from elevators after the city lost power.

Public pools in many areas were open on Friday, but officials closed city beaches because of the health threat posed by sewage leaked into waters during the power crunch.

Sightseers were left to enjoy the parks or roam the streets as many tourist attractions were closed on Friday, including the Empire State Building, Statue of Liberty and Metropolitan Museum of Art, which usually draws 50,000 visitors on a weekend.

Some exasperated tourists simply made plans to bolt.

The airports were open, but travelers endured long lines not just at ticket counters, but at pay phones and everything else. Many faced travel delays of several hours.

Across town at the Port Authority bus terminal, would-be passengers stranded for nearly 24 hours begged to board buses that idled outside. Some buses were operating, but the building and its ticket windows were closed, leaving drivers to sort out the chaos.

Dominik Scales, an Australian on his way to Arizona, was not impressed with his first trip to Manhattan.

"Everyone's walking around with these 'I Love New York' T-shirts," he grumbled. "I hate New York. I just want to get out of here."

================================================== ====

Sorry, I hate people like this. You know what, you hate New York, well, we hate you too. Sorry, but, what happened here was beyond our control, it's not like it was our fault. You don't like New York?? Then why in the world are you here?? Get out, you think we want you??

Excuse us for showing some patriotism for our city. It's not our fault that we know how to support each in a time of need.

You don't like us?? Well then, get lost. What makes you think we want you here?? Just leave, and never come back.

Sorry, but I just hate people like this. No one forced you to come here, so stop whining. Just don't come here, it's simple as that. You know how New Yorkers are, and if you don't, you're the mostignorant person on teh face of the planet.

New York is better without you.

Love ya New York. :worship: :worship:

Bacardi
Aug 16th, 2003, 03:11 AM
Nice article Venus Forever! :wavey:
Glad to hear power is 100% back, I'll call my friends shortly to check up. :)

I hate whiney tourists as well.... And all my friends here, who I've been telling I'm probably moving to NYC in a few months all say "I bet you don't want to move there now" I told them, this doesn't change my outlook at all.... One lights out night that's certain not to happen again for a long time. I've loved NYC everytime I visited, and hope to someday SOON move there and become a New Yorker myself! :yeah:

DutchieGirl
Aug 16th, 2003, 03:14 AM
Portion in Bold about whining tourists. ;)

All Power Back in New York City

By SARA KUGLER, Associated Press Writer

NEW YORK - Nearly 29 hours after a massive blackout struck, all power was restored to New York City, a utility spokeswoman said late Friday.

Consolidated Edison spokeswoman D. Joy Faber said power was fully restored at 9:03 p.m.

"We are 100 percent back," she said. "Hundreds of employees are working around the clock and will continue to work through the weekend to stabilize the system and to try to prevent any further disruptions."

Still, the city was not completely recovered from the outage, which affected about 50 million people in eight states and Ontario.

Subway trains, still halted where they were when power blacked out Thursday afternoon, were not expected to be operating fully until at least Saturday. Transit officials had said it could take eight hours after power was restored to resume service for the system, which moves about 5 million riders daily.

The blackout occurred at 4:11 p.m. Thursday. On Friday, thousands of people were still trying to get home, businesses were closed and workers were taking an enforced three-day weekend.

Hundreds of flights at the region's three major airports were delayed or canceled because of the blackout, but full electrical power was restored by Friday evening to LaGuardia Airport and Newark Liberty International Airport and to all passenger terminals at John F. Kennedy International Airport.

The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, which runs the airports, said it would restrict access if the gridlock on the roads leading to the airports worsened.

The City Council finance office estimated the blackout cost the city up to $750 million in lost revenue, up to $40 million in lost tax revenue and up to $10 million in overtime pay for the first 24 hours after electricity went out.

Metro-North commuter trains were still crippled Friday, with only six diesel trains running from Grand Central Terminal, where crews barked updates through bullhorns.

Rumpled and unshaven commuters stranded in Manhattan overnight streamed on foot toward Grand Central Terminal and Pennsylvania Station.

"There were people sleeping in their chairs at the trading desks, others on sofas in the conference rooms," said Ted Sullivan, as he headed down Madison Avenue, hoping to catch a train home to Princeton Junction, N.J.

Workers who did make it home Thursday night were left at morning rush hour to squeeze onto buses, hail the rare cab, sweat it out on foot or take the day off.

"I think most people stayed home," Mayor Michael Bloomberg said on his weekly radio show Friday morning. "You walk around the city and traffic is flowing."

Sanitation Commissioner John Doherty said crews would work overtime through the weekend, collecting trash much of it piled up on steamy sidewalks as New Yorkers cleaned spoiled food from warm refrigerators.

Officials opened several cooling centers for people perspiring in the sticky heat, and the parks department hooked up 600 sprinklers in parks throughout the city.

Thursday's dark night saw about 60 serious fires, the majority of which were sparked by lighted candles, Bloomberg said. One person died of a heart attack, a firefighter was injured and a police officer became ill.

The city received 80,000 calls to its 911 line more than double the usual and emergency medical personnel responded to 5,000 calls. Hundreds were rescued from elevators after the city lost power.

Public pools in many areas were open on Friday, but officials closed city beaches because of the health threat posed by sewage leaked into waters during the power crunch.

Sightseers were left to enjoy the parks or roam the streets as many tourist attractions were closed on Friday, including the Empire State Building, Statue of Liberty and Metropolitan Museum of Art, which usually draws 50,000 visitors on a weekend.

Some exasperated tourists simply made plans to bolt.

The airports were open, but travelers endured long lines not just at ticket counters, but at pay phones and everything else. Many faced travel delays of several hours.

Across town at the Port Authority bus terminal, would-be passengers stranded for nearly 24 hours begged to board buses that idled outside. Some buses were operating, but the building and its ticket windows were closed, leaving drivers to sort out the chaos.

Dominik Scales, an Australian on his way to Arizona, was not impressed with his first trip to Manhattan.

"Everyone's walking around with these 'I Love New York' T-shirts," he grumbled. "I hate New York. I just want to get out of here."

================================================== ====

Sorry, I hate people like this. You know what, you hate New York, well, we hate you too. Sorry, but, what happened here was beyond our control, it's not like it was our fault. You don't like New York?? Then why in the world are you here?? Get out, you think we want you??

Excuse us for showing some patriotism for our city. It's not our fault that we know how to support each in a time of need.

You don't like us?? Well then, get lost. What makes you think we want you here?? Just leave, and never come back.

Sorry, but I just hate people like this. No one forced you to come here, so stop whining. Just don't come here, it's simple as that. You know how New Yorkers are, and if you don't, you're the mostignorant person on teh face of the planet.

New York is better without you.

Love ya New York. :worship: :worship:

You know what - I think most people think that way. He didn't say it was the fault of the New York people - and he didn't say he hated New Yorkers either! Man, after ten days in Barcelona I HATED it too! SImply for the pure fact that I was going stir crazy not having anyone to talk to, and practically no Spanish people speaking English! But I'd still go back there anyway! It's a heat of the moment thing to say - when something goes wrong, people say "I hate this"...

Ted of Teds Tennis
Aug 16th, 2003, 04:14 AM
Nice post, Venus Forever.

I'm a shortwave radio listener, and you wouldn't believe how biased the BBC's coverage of this has been towards a reflexive anti-Americanism. :mad: They've repeatedly used the word "chaos" to describe the situation in New York City, and tried to set up a false contrast with Toronto and the way they handled it. (Being a shortwave listener, I was able to tune into the CBC as well, and know that Toronto did just as well as New York -- in both cases there was some confusion at first, but everybody seemed to take it in stride.)

Crazy Canuck
Aug 16th, 2003, 04:49 AM
Nice post, Venus Forever.

I'm a shortwave radio listener, and you wouldn't believe how biased the BBC's coverage of this has been towards a reflexive anti-Americanism. :mad: They've repeatedly used the word "chaos" to describe the situation in New York City, and tried to set up a false contrast with Toronto and the way they handled it. (Being a shortwave listener, I was able to tune into the CBC as well, and know that Toronto did just as well as New York -- in both cases there was some confusion at first, but everybody seemed to take it in stride.)
It's funny... the canadian news programs were complaining that we didn't handle it nearly as well as the USA. Our top officials did not make contact (via TV or radio) with the people like Bush and whoever else did. If anything it seems that -politically - it wasn't handled nearly as well up here :confused:

Crazy Canuck
Aug 16th, 2003, 04:50 AM
By the way... no matter how much you may hate them, your city does indeed need "whiney tourists". Any money is good money, even if it comes from annoying bitches :D

DutchieGirl
Aug 16th, 2003, 10:43 AM
By the way... no matter how much you may hate them, your city does indeed need "whiney tourists". Any money is good money, even if it comes from annoying bitches :D

lmao well gond only knows, we get our fair share of whining Americans in Oz! ;)