PDA

View Full Version : Anyone watched "Homicide"?

Joana
Aug 16th, 2003, 02:40 AM
That's the best police show EVER. Nothing comes close to this! I just can't believe it was canceled due to low ratings in USA. :eek:

Rocketta
Aug 16th, 2003, 06:07 AM
what do you mean canceled by USA? Homocide Life on the Streets was a NBC show that was canceled several years ago.

Yes it was very very good.

cynicole
Aug 16th, 2003, 11:06 AM
I was an addict...at least to the first 4 seasons anyway. Then it went downhill quickly because the exec. producer was more interested in working on "Oz" for HBO (where he had more artistic license). Honestly, it should've been cancelled a year or two before it was...if anything to save us from the horribly wooden "acting" of Michael Michele.

Here's how it found its way to cancellation:
1. camerawork made some people dizzy
2. story arcs stretched over multiple episodes
3. NBC often aired episodes out of order, messing up the storylines
4. they kept changing its timeslot; then chucked it into dead Friday 10pm slot
5. NBC kept interfering or threatening to cancel it (which in turn made some actors wary of continuing when they could find more stable/interesting jobs elsewhere...or led to more attractive actors who couldn't act their way out of a paper bag being hired to replace the "ugly" ones)

There was a reason why, in Season 3, they shot three of the detectives. It was to prevent a midseason cancellation. (Then NBC president Warren Littlefield loved the show and they figured he would want to know what happened to the detectives.)

Clark Johnson RULES!

Rocketta
Aug 16th, 2003, 04:51 PM
I was an addict...at least to the first 4 seasons anyway. Then it went downhill quickly because the exec. producer was more interested in working on "Oz" for HBO (where he had more artistic license). Honestly, it should've been cancelled a year or two before it was...if anything to save us from the horribly wooden "acting" of Michael Michele.

Here's how it found its way to cancellation:
1. camerawork made some people dizzy
2. story arcs stretched over multiple episodes
3. NBC often aired episodes out of order, messing up the storylines
4. they kept changing its timeslot; then chucked it into dead Friday 10pm slot
5. NBC kept interfering or threatening to cancel it (which in turn made some actors wary of continuing when they could find more stable/interesting jobs elsewhere...or led to more attractive actors who couldn't act their way out of a paper bag being hired to replace the "ugly" ones)

There was a reason why, in Season 3, they shot three of the detectives. It was to prevent a midseason cancellation. (Then NBC president Warren Littlefield loved the show and they figured he would want to know what happened to the detectives.)

Clark Johnson RULES!

The movie they did to tie the series up was good. Didn't one of the cops end up being gay???

cynicole
Aug 16th, 2003, 09:46 PM
The movie they did to tie the series up was good. Didn't one of the cops end up being gay???

The movie was okay...but probably really good if you're a Pembleton/Bayliss person (I'm more of a Lewis, Munch, Howard and Bolander person). I think I had more fun with all the "inside jokes" they peppered into the movie.

Bayliss was bisexual...and turned all Eastern-religion zen later after getting shot...and since you saw the movie, I guess you know what else he did.

Poor confused Bayliss.

Joana
Aug 17th, 2003, 11:32 PM
I really liked Kay Howard... too bad she just disappeared without trace. Probably wasn't attractive enough for the audience. :rolleyes:

decemberlove
Aug 17th, 2003, 11:59 PM
the wire is better.

david simon is the writer of both the wire [also the creator] and hlots.

i think the wire gets low ratings as well. prolly cos it is not episodic, it requires an actual thinking audience, rather than the mindless idiots that prefer reality bullshit.

Rocketta
Aug 18th, 2003, 01:16 AM
The movie was okay...but probably really good if you're a Pembleton/Bayliss person (I'm more of a Lewis, Munch, Howard and Bolander person). I think I had more fun with all the "inside jokes" they peppered into the movie.

Bayliss was bisexual...and turned all Eastern-religion zen later after getting shot...and since you saw the movie, I guess you know what else he did.

Poor confused Bayliss.

I wish I could say I remember but I don't. :o

I watch so much stuff that if I've seen a movie only once I can't remember most of it.

cynicole
Aug 18th, 2003, 08:48 AM
I really liked Kay Howard... too bad she just disappeared without trace. Probably wasn't attractive enough for the audience. :rolleyes:

You're right.

They got around ditching actress Melissa Leo by not renewing her contract when it was up at the end of Season 5. I can't recall exactly what the NBC people allegedly said but it's not too hard to imagine what is was. I'd paraphrase, but it really wasn't nice.

I think they also knocked of Jon Polito (Crosetti) because he was ugly. They replaced him with Isabella Hofmann. Then they also didn't renew her contract when it was up (the same time as Leo's) but I think she was pregnant around that time anyway (with Daniel Baldwin's baby) and wouldn't have been back by choice either.

With them gone, we got subjected to the horrible acting of Callie Thorne and later Michael Michelle.

In all fairness to the whole Kay Howard thing, the show's creative team really wrote themself into a hole when they promoted her to sergeant. Apparently, sergeants in homicide departments don't really do anything "exciting."

Most of my favorite "Homicide" moments came from the interactions between Meldrick Lewis (Clark Johnson...who now directs for TV and also the movie S.W.A.T.) and Kay Howard (Melissa Leo). I also thought Johnson and Leo were the best actors on the show despite all the attention given to Andre Braugher and Kyle Secor.

cynicole
Aug 18th, 2003, 08:56 AM
the wire is better.

david simon is the writer of both the wire [also the creator] and hlots.

i think the wire gets low ratings as well. prolly cos it is not episodic, it requires an actual thinking audience, rather than the mindless idiots that prefer reality bullshit.

I don't have HBO at home but I have it where I've been staying this summer and "The Wire" has been something of a treat to me. David Simon also wrote "The Corner" (with cop Ed Burns) and penned some scripts for "NYPD Blue" as well.

Of course, "The Wire" benefits by being on HBO as opposed to the "N[othing] B[ut] C[rap] channel."

And "The Wire" plays more like a mini-series or a "British series" rather than the formulaic American kind. "Homicide" occasionally went off and had some "concept" episodes.

cynicole
Aug 18th, 2003, 09:06 AM
I wish I could say I remember but I don't. :o

I watch so much stuff that if I've seen a movie only once I can't remember most of it.

I just remember that he murdered someone. But I don't think it was even someone we were supposed to even care to hate - just some anonymous criminal who got away in the last season. And it made him feel so guilt-ridden that he had to take leave and contemplated suicide.

Not like Munch who more or less admitted that he murdered Gordon Pratt (the Steve Buscemi character who had shot the three detectives in season 3) and was pretty glad that he did.

I don't really watch much TV anymore. I'm generally busy with school for much of the year, I don't have premium cable, and there's hardly anything on TV that can addict me anymore.

Plus I pretty much studied "Homicide" to get a feel for how TV works.

Rocketta
Aug 18th, 2003, 01:37 PM
I just remember that he murdered someone. But I don't think it was even someone we were supposed to even care to hate - just some anonymous criminal who got away in the last season. And it made him feel so guilt-ridden that he had to take leave and contemplated suicide.

Not like Munch who more or less admitted that he murdered Gordon Pratt (the Steve Buscemi character who had shot the three detectives in season 3) and was pretty glad that he did.

I don't really watch much TV anymore. I'm generally busy with school for much of the year, I don't have premium cable, and there's hardly anything on TV that can addict me anymore.

Plus I pretty much studied "Homicide" to get a feel for how TV works.

Yes I understand you're feeling about episodic tv. It it is truly lacking these days. I pretty much watch HBO for my episodic tv needs. I'm totally looking forward to the new show starting next month called "Carnival". It has a high standard to live up to but I'm getting the feeling it just might.