PDA

View Full Version : World Gymnastics Championships!!!! WHOOO!!!

shap_half
Aug 16th, 2003, 12:52 AM
OMG OMG The World Gymnastic Championships start tomorrow with the Men's Prelims!!! I can't wait for the Women's competition which start on Sunday night!!

Here is a GREAT article about the living and competing legend, Svetlana Khorkin

http://famulus.msnbc.com/famulusspt/apmegasports08-13-150927.asp?spt=GYM

xcrtbckhnd
Aug 16th, 2003, 12:56 AM
Very Cool!!!! Is there a website that has results?

xcrtbckhnd
Aug 16th, 2003, 12:56 AM
Who is on Team USA anyways?

tazban1
Aug 16th, 2003, 01:00 AM
:fiery: We in the U.S. have to wait a whole week to watch it. :fiery:

xcrtbckhnd
Aug 16th, 2003, 01:01 AM
When is it being televised and on what channel?

shap_half
Aug 16th, 2003, 01:02 AM
Very Cool!!!! Is there a website that has results?

you can visit

www.intlgymnast.com
www.insidegymnastics.com
www.usa-gymnastics.org

and most have comprehensive results!

um the women's USA team has

Tasha
Hollie
Carly
Annia
Courtney
Ashley - but she backed out with an illness and have been replaced by Chellsie

xcrtbckhnd
Aug 16th, 2003, 02:00 AM
Which ones from the USA are competing all-around?

BigB08822
Aug 16th, 2003, 04:36 AM
They havent decided who will do AA yet. Well, I take that back. I'm sure they have but it hasnt been released, the lineup is due in tomorrow.

I can promise you that Patterson will do AA, I would also bet that Schwikert and Kupets could do AA as well. Kupets has been ill though and is just getting back to training, had a little rough time of it today in podium training.

I am pretty sure that Vise will only do bars and beam, I know for a fact Hatch will do vault and floor, I doubt she does bars or beam but she is capable on either if she has been consistent since Nationals. Memmel is capable of AA, but I expect to see her on 2-3 events.

I am so excited for the potential of the US team. I just hope the illness, recent injuries and recent line up changes don't get the girls hopes down. They can still pull this off, but will have to fight tough with Romania and China and Russia.

The AA will be very exciting as well, Patterson can win the whole thing and I think she will if she hits all her routines.

Good luck USA!

Nicoleke
Aug 16th, 2003, 10:21 AM
Will it be broadcoast in Europe ?

Rothes
Aug 16th, 2003, 10:34 AM
I wonder if Switzerland entered a team :confused:

Bероника
Aug 16th, 2003, 11:27 AM
Go Svetlana!!!!

Ting
Aug 16th, 2003, 11:40 AM
Who are in the Romanian women's team? Are they participating at all??

Libertango
Aug 16th, 2003, 12:24 PM
Will it be broadcoast in Europe ?

I know in Britain they plan to show coverage on Eurosport from Thursday or Friday next week, don't exactly know how much, so it will probably be the same for Europe.

I can't wait, I really think the USA are the favourites for the womens team, even with Ashley out, also looking for the Chinese to do well :)

Libertango
Aug 17th, 2003, 02:33 AM
Annia Hatch has had to pull out due to a broken knee :eek: :( :sad: :sad: I can't believe it, I am so sorry for her. I just hope now it doesn't affect her career/end her chances at Athens. Good luck Annia! :)

Malin
Aug 17th, 2003, 05:05 AM
Do you guys think as the Olympics get closer that some of the girls from the 2000 US team will start to come back?? Like in Sydeny when Shannen and Dominque came back less than a year before the Olympics.

BigB08822
Aug 17th, 2003, 05:57 AM
I don't think any of the girls from the 2000 squad can come back to make the new Olympic team. Of course, Tasha will but she never quit.

None of the other girls have what it takes to make the team. Maloney and Ray are two of the only real possibilities but both have been injured for their whole NCAA season this year and will be happy to just be ready for the new season, let alone ready enough to make the US Olympic team when we have such depth.

Nicoleke
Aug 17th, 2003, 09:06 AM
Go to the american, french and romanian teams :) :D :) :D ;) !!!!!

Jeff
Aug 17th, 2003, 09:13 AM
I find it hilarious that in gymnastics, being at 5'4, Svetlana is considered "long legged" :p

On tv it does look like she has long legs, though. Can't imagine how little she would look in person though ;)

shap_half
Aug 17th, 2003, 03:26 PM
Of course it is never good when someone pulls out due to an injury but I am just really happy that Terin Humphrey will get the chance to compete. She is such a lovely competitor and should be given her chance. Her floor routine is among the most beautiful routine being performed this quad and I hope she does her best and qualifies herself to the Floor Finals.

Maloney should never be allowed to compete internationally again. She's got one of the ugliest forms I have ever seen in gymnastics. She is a really shameful peformer with all her skills almost always done with poor technique.

controlfreak
Aug 17th, 2003, 03:44 PM
Wow, Sveta McKhorky is still competing? I remember seeing her years ago... before the internet was even invented (for me at least) :)
I expect some of it will show up on Eurosport...

shap_half
Aug 17th, 2003, 03:59 PM
Wow, Sveta McKhorky is still competing? I remember seeing her years ago... before the internet was even invented (for me at least) :)
I expect some of it will show up on Eurosport...

I love Sveta!!! She's my God!

Ting
Aug 19th, 2003, 05:08 AM
China came first in the qualifying round!!:bounce:

BigB08822
Aug 19th, 2003, 09:26 AM
Now it is all down to the final format. The scores are cleared and the top 6 after prelims compete in team finals.

USA, Russia, China, and Romania can all win the gold. It will come down to who hits.

My best bet is on China. If they can do well on FX and VT then they should take it easily. They can manage 3 big scores on beam and bars and 3 good scores on VT and FX.

USA should fight with Romania for the silver. Romania is a great team but very young and inexperienced.

In the end though, it comes down to which team hits. The new format means that 3 gymnasts from each country compete on each event, and all 3 scores will count. One fall can take you out of gold medal position with this format. It also means that a somewhat weaker team (such as the USA after their injuries/illness) can still win if their 3 gymnasts do their jobs.

Libertango
Aug 19th, 2003, 01:13 PM
Actually it is the top eight through to team finals:

1.China
2.Romania
3.USA
4.Ukraine
5.Russia
6.Spain
7.Australia
8.Brazil

So its between these teams for the team title. I too would love to see China win. For a while now I've thought they are the best but they always make mistakes. If they hit their routines they should win :D

AA qualifiers (2 only per country)

1.Elena Gomez (ESP)
2.Chellsie Memmel (USA)
3.Svetlana Khorkina (RUS)
4.Irina Yarotska (UKR)
5.Fan Ye (CHN)
6.Anna Pavlova (RUS)
7.Carly Patterson (USA)
8.Alina Kozich (UKR)
9.Allana Slater (AUS)
10.Andreea Munteanu (ROM)
11.Suzanne Harmes (NED)
12.Kylie Stone (CAN)
13.Oana Ban (ROM)
14.Oksana Chusovitina (UZB)
15.Monette Rosu (AUS)
16.Daria Bijak (GER)
17.Zhang Nan (CHN)
18.Leyanet Gonzalez (CUB)
19.Camila Comin (BRA)
20.Monica Bergamelli (ITA)
21.Daniele Hypolito (BRA)
22.Emilie Lepennec (FRA)
23.Patricia Moreno (ESP)
24.Ayaka Sahara (JPN)

Fantastic
Aug 19th, 2003, 03:47 PM
Cool, Australia ain't doing too badly. :)

How is the mens' competition going?

maya
Aug 19th, 2003, 04:34 PM
I find it hilarious that in gymnastics, being at 5'4, Svetlana is considered "long legged" :p

On tv it does look like she has long legs, though. Can't imagine how little she would look in person though ;)

Khorkina is only 5'4''?! But she looks so tall compared to other competitors (and commentators never fail to mention how tall, elegant, etc she is for a gymnast) ... of course I knew she can't be very tall, but I always assumed she's at least around 165 cm.

Ting
Aug 19th, 2003, 05:35 PM
Actually it is the top eight through to team finals:

1.China
2.Romania
3.USA
4.Ukraine
5.Russia
6.Spain
7.Australia
8.Brazil

So its between these teams for the team title. I too would love to see China win. For a while now I've thought they are the best but they always make mistakes. If they hit their routines they should win :D

AA qualifiers (2 only per country)

1.Elena Gomez (ESP)
2.Chellsie Memmel (USA)
3.Svetlana Khorkina (RUS)
4.Irina Yarotska (UKR)
5.Fan Ye (CHN)
6.Anna Pavlova (RUS)
7.Carly Patterson (USA)
8.Alina Kozich (UKR)
9.Allana Slater (AUS)
10.Andreea Munteanu (ROM)
11.Suzanne Harmes (NED)
12.Kylie Stone (CAN)
13.Oana Ban (ROM)
14.Oksana Chusovitina (UZB)
15.Monette Rosu (AUS)
16.Daria Bijak (GER)
17.Zhang Nan (CHN)
18.Leyanet Gonzalez (CUB)
19.Camila Comin (BRA)
20.Monica Bergamelli (ITA)
21.Daniele Hypolito (BRA)
22.Emilie Lepennec (FRA)
23.Patricia Moreno (ESP)
24.Ayaka Sahara (JPN)
Go Zhang Nan:bounce:

Pity that Kang Xin did not make it into the finals, she should have!!:(

Nicoleke
Aug 19th, 2003, 05:44 PM
What' s France final ranking ? Between 9 and 12 to be " qualify " for the Olympic games, I hope .....

Ting
Aug 19th, 2003, 05:47 PM
What' s France final ranking ? Between 9 and 12 to be " qualify " for the Olympic games, I hope .....
Don't they have to make it into the top 8 to qualify for the Olympics?

Nicoleke
Aug 19th, 2003, 05:49 PM
Don't they have to make it into the top 8 to qualify for the Olympics?
They have to be in the 12 I think :) !!!!!

Ting
Aug 19th, 2003, 05:53 PM
They have to be in the 12 I think :) !!!!!
I see, our newspaper must have been wrong then:)

Ting
Aug 19th, 2003, 06:02 PM
France is 11th:cool:

Ting
Aug 19th, 2003, 06:03 PM
Oops it's 10th sorry:)

Nicoleke
Aug 19th, 2003, 06:14 PM
Thanks for France ' s ranking :), my newspaper said in the 12, :sad: .....

Ting
Aug 19th, 2003, 06:17 PM
Thanks for France ' s ranking :), my newspaper said in the 12, :sad: .....
Yup top 12 qualify for the Olympics:)

Libertango
Aug 19th, 2003, 06:29 PM
Cool, Australia ain't doing too badly. :)

How is the mens' competition going?

In the mens after prelims:

1.USA :eek:
2.Japan
3.China :eek:
4.Romania
5.Korea
6.Russia
7.France
8.Ukraine

The teams finals are tonight. Really wasn't expecting USA to lead and for China not to be. The Chinese had a last minute injury problem though. Also, neither the mens or womens Russian teams are doing too well. The other teams through to the Olympics for women (8-12) are Great Britain, France, Canada, PR Korea.

For the AA qualies:
1.Naoya Tsukahara (JPN) :hearts:
2.Paul Hamm (USA)
3.Yang Tae-Young (KOR)
4.Jason Gatson (USA)
5.Marian Dragulescu (ROM)
6.Hiroyuki Tomita (JPN)
7.Dorin Selariu (ROM)
8.Yang Wei (CHN)
9.Jordan Jovtchev (BUL)
10.Roman Zozulya (UKR)
11.Denis Savenkov (BLR)
12.Rafael Martinez (ESP)
13.Eric Lopez (CUB)
14.Evgeni Podgornyi (RUS)
15.Alexei Bondarenko (RUS)
16.Victor Cano (ESP)
17.Alexander Jeltkov (CAN)
18.Andreas Schweizer (SUI)
19.Yernar Yerimbetov (KAZ)
20.Pavel Gofman (ISR)
21.Ruslan Menentsev (UKR)
22.Florent Maree (FRA)
23.David Kukichi (CAN)

Oh and there is a possibility that Kang Xin will still do AA over Fan Ye in the womens, although I don't know why and its still not certain.

Ting
Aug 19th, 2003, 06:32 PM

2.Japan
4.Romania
5.Korea
6.Russia
7.France
8.Ukraine

The teams finals are tonight. Really wasn't expecting USA to lead and for China not to be. The Chinese had a last minute injury problem though. Also, neither the mens or womens Russian teams are doing too well. The other teams through to the Olympics for women (8-12) are Great Britain, France, Canada, PR Korea.

For the AA qualies:
2.Paul Hamm (USA)
3.Yang Tae-Young (KOR)
4.Jason Gatson (USA)
6.Hiroyuki Tomita (JPN)
7.Dorin Selariu (ROM)
8.Yang Wei (CHN)
9.Jordan Jovtchev (BUL)
10.Roman Zozulya (UKR)
11.Denis Savenkov (BLR)
12.Rafael Martinez (ESP)
13.Eric Lopez (CUB)
16.Victor Cano (ESP)
20.Pavel Gofman (ISR)
22.Florent Maree (FRA)
23.David Kukichi (CAN)

Oh and there is a possibility that Kang Xin will still do AA over Fan Ye in the womens, although I don't know why and its still not certain.
Yang Wei is the only finalist in AA for China??:eek:

No way Kang Xin cannot replace Fan Ye, as I remember Kang Xin has never done well in big competitions:rolleyes:
Btw, those Chinese girls are really young!!:eek:

salima
Aug 19th, 2003, 06:45 PM
Come on Oksana Chusovitina you are my hero, all others please take a look here:
http://www.gymmedia.com/HELP/

http://www.gymmedia.com/HELP/image/Bilder/titel1_01.jpg

Libertango
Aug 19th, 2003, 06:50 PM
Yang Wei is the only finalist in AA for China??:eek:

No way Kang Xin cannot replace Fan Ye, as I remember Kang Xin has never done well in big competitions:rolleyes:
Btw, those Chinese girls are really young!!:eek:

I know, Yang is the only finalist, its shocking but like I said they had some line-up problems right at the start. I think Kang Xin may replace Fan Ye because she is better all-around (apparently) Fan has amazing bars/beam but weak floor/vault whereas Kang is stronger overall. This is what we have been told so far anyway. Still Fan did qualify 5th and was the highest Chinese so I'd still be surprised if they did this.

Ting
Aug 20th, 2003, 12:10 AM
I know, Yang is the only finalist, its shocking but like I said they had some line-up problems right at the start. I think Kang Xin may replace Fan Ye because she is better all-around (apparently) Fan has amazing bars/beam but weak floor/vault whereas Kang is stronger overall. This is what we have been told so far anyway. Still Fan did qualify 5th and was the highest Chinese so I'd still be surprised if they did this.
True but the problem about Kang Xin is that she can never handle big competitions. Not even in those National competitions in China.

Gallofa
Aug 20th, 2003, 12:14 AM
http://us.news1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/rids/20030818/i/1061238234.3758112860.jpg

Gomez leads all-around individual qualifying with a score of 37.549 points, ahead of Chellsie Memmel of the U.S. on 37.449 and Russia's Khorkina on 37.249.

The flying spaniard! :D Goooo Elena!!! :D

propi
Aug 20th, 2003, 12:52 AM
Vamos Elena and all Spain
BTW in mens must be a mistake as both Spanish teams have qualified for Olympic games in Athens

Ting
Aug 20th, 2003, 05:31 AM
How did the men's team final go?? I only watched it for like 10 mins coz I had to go out.

Libertango
Aug 20th, 2003, 07:53 AM
Mens team final:

1.China :D
2.USA
3.Japan
4.Russia
5.Romania
6.Korea
7.France
8.Ukraine

YAY for China, really hope that the women can repeat tomorrow. GO CHINA! :)

Ting
Aug 20th, 2003, 08:43 AM
Mens team final:

1.China :D
2.USA
3.Japan
4.Russia
5.Romania
6.Korea
7.France
8.Ukraine

YAY for China, really hope that the women can repeat tomorrow. GO CHINA! :)
:woohoo: Congrats China:D

Go Chinese girls:bounce::bounce:
I'll sure watch them live tomorrow:)
Zhang Nan is not in any event final though:sad:

Libertango
Aug 20th, 2003, 09:18 AM
Nan Zhang is still in the AA though, and I think has an outside chance of a medal. Courtney Kupets has pulled out of the championships due to an achilles (??) injury.

Ting
Aug 20th, 2003, 12:20 PM
Nan Zhang is still in the AA though, and I think has an outside chance of a medal. Courtney Kupets has pulled out of the championships due to an achilles (??) injury.
Who is that American that came 2nd in the qualifying competition?

Libertango
Aug 20th, 2003, 02:17 PM
Who is that American that came 2nd in the qualifying competition?

Chellsie Memmel qualified second for the AA. Courtney didn't qualify but she is the world bars champion and US champion so its quite a big loss

Fantastic
Aug 20th, 2003, 03:14 PM
Is Alexei Nemov competing?

Libertango
Aug 20th, 2003, 04:53 PM
Is Alexei Nemov competing?

Yea, but not on every apparatus. He has qualified for the floor, high bar and parallel bars finals. I'm not a fan but he looked very good in the team, did a great high bar routine. The Chinese in the team finals were just amazing they seem miles ahead of everyone else :)

Malin
Aug 20th, 2003, 06:15 PM
Can someone tell me what happened to the other girls from the US 2000 Olympic team?? Someone already said that Elise and Kristen are injured. What about Jamie, Vanessa, Morgan, and all those girls. I know a couple of those didn't make the team.

Ting
Aug 20th, 2003, 11:29 PM
Chellsie Memmel qualified second for the AA. Courtney didn't qualify but she is the world bars champion and US champion so its quite a big loss
I don't know much about the American team.
I've only heard of that girl named Carly Patterson:o
Saw her in Goodwill Games 2001

Ting
Aug 21st, 2003, 04:19 AM
Hell China is 4th:sad::sad::sad:

Libertango
Aug 21st, 2003, 07:19 AM
OMG China finish 4th in womens team :( :sad: :( :sad:

1.USA
2.Romania
3.Australia :eek:
4.China :mad:
5.Spain
6.Russia
7.Ukraine
8.Brazil

Can't believe it, really thought China was the best team and that they'd at least medal. Australia medalling is just shocking. Apparently Fan Ye was deducted 0.2 for practising on the podium (you are only allowed to stretch whilst the judges are marking a previous gymnast) and that this lost them the bronze. :fiery:

Ting
Aug 21st, 2003, 07:27 AM

1.USA
2.Romania
5.Spain
6.Russia
7.Ukraine
8.Brazil

Can't believe it, really thought China was the best team and that they'd at least medal. Australia medalling is just shocking. Apparently Fan Ye was deducted 0.2 for practising on the podium (you are only allowed to stretch whilst the judges are marking a previous gymnast) and that this lost them the bronze. :fiery:
Was it true??? Oh I didn't know that I was just wondering why she got that low mark.:( :fiery:
Well, if Fan Ye did not fell of the bars they could still stand a chance, and if Kang Xin and Zhang Nan did not do that crap on FX:rolleyes:

propi
Aug 21st, 2003, 08:08 AM
I was watching yesterday and sorry but it was such a joke :eek: Marks were clearly given depending on the country the gymnast was from, as in many other sports, but this time was simply too much !!!:fiery:

Ting
Aug 21st, 2003, 08:31 AM
American girls did do pretty well there is no doubt about them being number one though.

propi
Aug 21st, 2003, 08:34 AM
American girls did do pretty well there is no doubt about them being number one though.
Yes, in what I saw they were the best, it's stupid denying that, however her puntuation was more generous only IMO

Libertango
Aug 21st, 2003, 11:58 AM
Whilst the American women definitely deserved to win on the day I do think there are better teams out there gymnastically (Romania, China, even Russia) However the Americans are the best athletes. I do also think though that the American men were overmarked, many of their scores were just too high.

Was it true??? Oh I didn't know that I was just wondering why she got that low mark.:( :fiery:
Well, if Fan Ye did not fell of the bars they could still stand a chance, and if Kang Xin and Zhang Nan did not do that crap on FX:rolleyes:

If she hadn't have been docked that 0.2 she would have scored 9.675 and China's total would have been 110.459, beating Australia who scored 110.335. Its amazing to think they lost the bronze over THAT! :eek: You've got to hold the coaches responisble really they should have known better and told the rules properly to their gymnasts. By the time the Chinese got to FX they were a total mess and lost their chance :sad:

Malin
Aug 21st, 2003, 02:29 PM
When will this competition be shown in the US??

shap_half
Aug 21st, 2003, 02:32 PM
Well if that Russian chick didn't fall on her face she would have had a good chance at scoring a another 2 points to that total becuase she had a 10.0 SV. If that was the case, Russia would have placed second. What "ifs" are just not good at this point.

I really wish they would change the team format back to 7-6-5.

And here's to wishing Svetlana Khorkina her third World title since she didn't qualify into any Event Final!

King Aaron
Aug 21st, 2003, 04:58 PM
How did Elena Zamolochidkova do?

Pureracket
Aug 21st, 2003, 10:47 PM
The American women ALWAYS win in International sports competition at one time or another. When will this be shown in the US?

Martian KC
Aug 21st, 2003, 11:02 PM
Glad the Chinese men rebounded, but what happened to the women!?!?!:confused:

When are the individual competitions?!?! Hope Holly gets a medal!!:hearts:

Ting
Aug 22nd, 2003, 12:26 AM
How did Elena Zamolochidkova do?
I only saw Zamo on vault, I heard that she wasn't competing much because of her injury, they didn't show much of the Russians anyway. She did pretty good on vault though.

Ting
Aug 22nd, 2003, 12:27 AM
Glad the Chinese men rebounded, but what happened to the women!?!?!:confused:

When are the individual competitions?!?! Hope Holly gets a medal!!:hearts:
Is Hollie in the individual final??
I thought it was Chellsie and Carly?

Ting
Aug 22nd, 2003, 12:28 AM
Whilst the American women definitely deserved to win on the day I do think there are better teams out there gymnastically (Romania, China, even Russia) However the Americans are the best athletes. I do also think though that the American men were overmarked, many of their scores were just too high.

If she hadn't have been docked that 0.2 she would have scored 9.675 and China's total would have been 110.459, beating Australia who scored 110.335. Its amazing to think they lost the bronze over THAT! :eek: You've got to hold the coaches responisble really they should have known better and told the rules properly to their gymnasts. By the time the Chinese got to FX they were a total mess and lost their chance :sad:
That is a ridiculous rule though IMO:rolleyes:

BigB08822
Aug 22nd, 2003, 01:58 AM
It is easy to blame their loss on the podium mistake, but they bombed 2 of their floor routines. That is just way too much of a mistake in this format and I think missing 3 of the 12 routines (they also had one miss on bars) is enough to take anyone out of medals.

Pureracket
Aug 22nd, 2003, 02:25 AM
When is this coming on the telly in the U.S.?

Ting
Aug 22nd, 2003, 04:33 AM
Yang Wei missed the gold medal by less than 0.1 point!:sad:

Libertango
Aug 22nd, 2003, 04:56 AM
Mens AA final:

1.Paul Hamm (USA)
2.Yang Wei (CHN) :) :(
3.Hiroyuki Tomita (JPN) :)
4.Yernar Yerimbetov (KAZ)
5.Eric Lopez (CUB)
6.Marian Dragulescu (ROM)
7.Naoya Tsukahara (JPN) :hearts: :sad:
8.Jason Gatson (USA)
9.Roman Zozulya (UKR)
10.Ruslan Menentsev (UKR)
11.Alexei Bondarenko (RUS)
12.Yang Tae-Young (KOR)
13.Sven Kawaitkowski (GER)
14.Denis Savenkov (BLR)
15.Andreas Schweizer (SUI)
16.Victor Cano (ESP)
17.Pavel Gofman (ISR)
18.Dmitri Karbonenko (FRA)
19.Rafael Martinez (ESP)
20.David Kikuchi (CAN)
21.Dorin Selariu (ROM)
22.Alexander Jeltkov (CAN)
23.Jordan Jovtchev (BUL)
24.Evgeni Pogorni (RUS)

shap_half
Aug 22nd, 2003, 05:20 AM
Here's to wishing Sveta Khorkina winning the AA title tomorrow night!

and also I heard it through the grapevine that she might take Zamo's place in the vault finals because Zamo's injury is not boding to well for her to compete. I wish Sveta made floor finals. I heard the routine she did last night was just divine!

Ting
Aug 22nd, 2003, 07:46 AM
Here's to wishing Sveta Khorkina winning the AA title tomorrow night!

and also I heard it through the grapevine that she might take Zamo's place in the vault finals because Zamo's injury is not boding to well for her to compete. I wish Sveta made floor finals. I heard the routine she did last night was just divine!
I watched the whole competition and yeah her floor routine was fabulous, it was really really beautiful:)
She got over 9.4 on vault whilst Zamo only got like 9.3 or something so there's quite a possibility that she might take place of Zamo.

Ting
Aug 22nd, 2003, 07:47 AM
And GOOD LUCK Sveta, I sure don't wanna see those Americans or Elena Gomaz winning:rolleyes:

propi
Aug 22nd, 2003, 08:14 AM
And GOOD LUCK Sveta, I sure don't wanna see those Americans or Elena Gomaz winning:rolleyes:
Elena Gómez ;)
Well since the performances seen lately, I'm sure the American girl will win, I only hope Elena does well and has a nice result.
Good luck to Khorkina too, currently the most popular girl in gimnastics

Ting
Aug 22nd, 2003, 08:17 AM
Elena Gómez ;)
Well since the performances seen lately, I'm sure the American girl will win, I only hope Elena does well and has a nice result.
Good luck to Khorkina too, currently the most popular girl in gimnastics
No one is going to beat Sveta if she does well:worship:

propi
Aug 22nd, 2003, 08:22 AM
No one is going to beat Sveta if she does well:worship:
Sure;) but I haven't seen her to take it too seriously ...... I hope she does well and waits to the Olympics to retire, she's 24....

Ting
Aug 22nd, 2003, 08:26 AM
Sure;) but I haven't seen her to take it too seriously ...... I hope she does well and waits to the Olympics to retire, she's 24....
In the Olympics in 2000 she said she would retire the next year, but she didn't. So never believe her, she'll probably compete in Beijing 2008 lol;)
She got 9.650 on FX, above 9.4 on vault, and I bet she did not do bad on Bars and Beam either so compare to the Americans she's way better:)

propi
Aug 22nd, 2003, 08:30 AM
In the Olympics in 2000 she said she would retire the next year, but she didn't. So never believe her, she'll probably compete in Beijing 2008 lol;)
She got 9.650 on FX, above 9.4 on vault, and I bet she did not do bad on Bars and Beam either so compare to the Americans she's way better:)
She's the queen of asimetrics bars for the last 10 years :hearts: however she's not in that final :(

Anyway I'm sure they all can make a bit of space in the podium for little Spanish Elena :kiss:

Ting
Aug 22nd, 2003, 02:00 PM
She's the queen of asimetrics bars for the last 10 years :hearts: however she's not in that final :(

Anyway I'm sure they all can make a bit of space in the podium for little Spanish Elena :kiss:
She's not in the bars final?? I'm surprised! Perhaps the SV was too low. She could always get 9.5 or 9.6 out of 9.7 though!!:eek::worship:

Ting
Aug 22nd, 2003, 02:09 PM
Hmm I just checked, Svetlana still has a chance to compete on bars since Kupets pulled out:)

Malin
Aug 22nd, 2003, 02:14 PM
I wish shannon miller would come back, she was amazing!!!

Ting
Aug 22nd, 2003, 02:20 PM
I wish shannon miller would come back, she was amazing!!!
I saw her on TV after the team final, she looked stunning!:)

Ting
Aug 22nd, 2003, 02:26 PM

2.Japan
4.Romania
5.Korea
6.Russia
7.France
8.Ukraine

For the AA qualies:
2.Paul Hamm (USA)
3.Yang Tae-Young (KOR)
4.Jason Gatson (USA)
6.Hiroyuki Tomita (JPN)
7.Dorin Selariu (ROM)
8.Yang Wei (CHN)
9.Jordan Jovtchev (BUL)
10.Roman Zozulya (UKR)
11.Denis Savenkov (BLR)
12.Rafael Martinez (ESP)
13.Eric Lopez (CUB)
16.Victor Cano (ESP)
20.Pavel Gofman (ISR)
22.Florent Maree (FRA)
23.David Kukichi (CAN)

It is now confirmed that Kang Xin will replace Fan Ye, because the latter needs to "rest for the event finals".

Libertango
Aug 22nd, 2003, 06:51 PM
It is now confirmed that Kang Xin will replace Fan Ye, because the latter needs to "rest for the event finals".

I think this is a good idea. Kang all-round is a better gymnast (I believe) adn besides she hasn't reached any event finals so its another chance for her! :) I'd love either her or Nan Zhang to win. If not, either Sveta or Elena Gomez. I'm sorry I don't think I could bare an American winning :mad:

shap_half
Aug 22nd, 2003, 06:55 PM
Sveta can't make the event finals on bars because Hollie Vise originally made the top 8 but couldn't due to the 2 per country rule os Hollie will be taking Courtney's place tomorrow.

I really hope Sveta takes Zamo's place on vault. Sveta won vault in 2001, I wouldn't doubt that she can win it again now that Annia is not competing.

Good luck at the all around, Queen!

Martian KC
Aug 22nd, 2003, 09:41 PM
Mens AA final:

1.Paul Hamm (USA)
2.Yang Wei (CHN) :) :(
3.Hiroyuki Tomita (JPN) :)
4.Yernar Yerimbetov (KAZ)
5.Eric Lopez (CUB)
6.Marian Dragulescu (ROM)
7.Naoya Tsukahara (JPN) :hearts: :sad:
8.Jason Gatson (USA)
9.Roman Zozulya (UKR)
10.Ruslan Menentsev (UKR)
11.Alexei Bondarenko (RUS)
12.Yang Tae-Young (KOR)
13.Sven Kawaitkowski (GER)
14.Denis Savenkov (BLR)
15.Andreas Schweizer (SUI)
16.Victor Cano (ESP)
17.Pavel Gofman (ISR)
18.Dmitri Karbonenko (FRA)
19.Rafael Martinez (ESP)
20.David Kikuchi (CAN)
21.Dorin Selariu (ROM)
22.Alexander Jeltkov (CAN)
23.Jordan Jovtchev (BUL)
24.Evgeni Pogorni (RUS)

Alexei, Jordan, and Marian!:(

Ting
Aug 22nd, 2003, 11:35 PM
I think this is a good idea. Kang all-round is a better gymnast (I believe) adn besides she hasn't reached any event finals so its another chance for her! :) I'd love either her or Nan Zhang to win. If not, either Sveta or Elena Gomez. I'm sorry I don't think I could bare an American winning :mad:
Me either. :(

Ting
Aug 22nd, 2003, 11:37 PM
Sveta can't make the event finals on bars because Hollie Vise originally made the top 8 but couldn't due to the 2 per country rule os Hollie will be taking Courtney's place tomorrow.

I really hope Sveta takes Zamo's place on vault. Sveta won vault in 2001, I wouldn't doubt that she can win it again now that Annia is not competing.

Good luck at the all around, Queen!
Oh that's a pity, I'd love to see Sveta on bars:angel:
I think she should replace Zamo on vault, her SV is higher than Zamo's and she's doing better than Zamo as well. I'd also like to see Zamo though:)

broncosven
Aug 22nd, 2003, 11:46 PM

1.USA
2.Romania
5.Spain
6.Russia
7.Ukraine
8.Brazil

GO AUSSIE GO!!!! :bounce: :hearts:

WELL DONE GIRLS!!!! :bounce: :hearts:

Ting
Aug 23rd, 2003, 03:35 AM
Congrats Sveta!!! The AA champion!!!:woohoo:
And well done Zhang Nan:bounce:
I cried when seeing Sveta win:)

Libertango
Aug 23rd, 2003, 06:40 AM
Womens AA finals:

1.Svetlana Khorkina (RUS) :eek: :worship:
2.Carly Patterson (USA)

3.Nan Zhang (CHN) :yeah: :bounce: :woohoo:

4.Irina Yarotskya (UKR)
5.Elena Gomez (ESP)
6.Oana Ban (ROM)
7.Kang Xin (CHN) :)
8.Alina Kozich (UKR)
8.Chellsie Memmel (USA)
10.Anna Pavlova (RUS)
11.Emilie Lepennec (FRA)
12.Monette Russo (AUS)
13.Allana Slater (AUS)
14.Kylie Stone (CAN)
15.Andreea Munteanu (ROM)
16.Monica Bergamelli (ITA)
17.Suzanne Harmes (NED)
18.Leyanet Gonzales (CUB)
19.Camila Comin (BRA)
20.Daria Bijak (GER)
21.Aajge Van Walleghem (BEL)
22.Patricia Moreno (ESP)
23.Ayaka Sahara (JPN)
24.Daniele Hypolito (BRA)

Hypolito pulled out after doing half her floor routine, Chusovitina didn't even start :sad: :confused:

Big congrats to Nan, winning China's FIRST EVER all-around individual medal at Worlds!!! :eek: :worship:

Ting
Aug 23rd, 2003, 06:57 AM
Womens AA finals:

1.Svetlana Khorkina (RUS) :eek: :worship:
2.Carly Patterson (USA)

3.Nan Zhang (CHN) :yeah: :bounce: :woohoo:

4.Irina Yarotskya (UKR)
5.Elena Gomez (ESP)
6.Oana Ban (ROM)
7.Kang Xin (CHN) :)
8.Alina Kozich (UKR)
8.Chellsie Memmel (USA)
10.Anna Pavlova (RUS)
11.Emilie Lepennec (FRA)
12.Monette Russo (AUS)
13.Allana Slater (AUS)
14.Kylie Stone (CAN)
15.Andreea Munteanu (ROM)
16.Monica Bergamelli (ITA)
17.Suzanne Harmes (NED)
18.Leyanet Gonzales (CUB)
19.Camila Comin (BRA)
20.Daria Bijak (GER)
21.Aajge Van Walleghem (BEL)
22.Patricia Moreno (ESP)
23.Ayaka Sahara (JPN)
24.Daniele Hypolito (BRA)

Hypolito pulled out after doing half her floor routine, Chusovitina didn't even start :sad: :confused:

Big congrats to Nan, winning China's FIRST EVER all-around individual medal at Worlds!!! :eek: :worship:
Zhang Nan looked so nice with that medal:yeah:

Central
Aug 23rd, 2003, 11:45 AM
Khorkina again? I mean, :eek:, but :rolleyes:

No Romainians, hardly no Ukrainians :(

AKTW
Aug 23rd, 2003, 12:55 PM
Congrats Svetlana and Zhang Nan!
I am happy to see a Chinese girl. :)
Perfect performance from Sveta!

shap_half
Aug 23rd, 2003, 03:41 PM
Sveta was just ON FIRE!!! She really brought it on. If she's on hardly anyone can beat her! She was just amazing last night and I was in tears when she won! Her floor routine was just amazing. I thought she was also underscored on vault, but atleast she won her third AA title. An unprecendented feat!!!

Martian KC
Aug 23rd, 2003, 03:50 PM
CarlY!!!:eek: Wow, fantastic!:D

King Aaron
Aug 23rd, 2003, 06:40 PM
Congratulations Svetlana! :)

Pureracket
Aug 23rd, 2003, 08:28 PM
When does this come on the telly in the US?

Ting
Aug 24th, 2003, 01:37 AM
That's crazy, Elizabeth Tweddle (or whatever her name is) did way better than Chellsie Memmel on UB, however the latter got the highest score:fiery:

Bероника
Aug 24th, 2003, 11:50 AM
Congrats Svetlana!!!!

Becool
Aug 24th, 2003, 04:47 PM
Hypolito :fiery:

How's Comin going? Any news?

R&J
Aug 24th, 2003, 06:53 PM
USA is kicking some butt right now! They are on uneven bars and they are performing very well. There have been alot of accidents so far today - a poor russian girl had a bad accident on floor and got a terrible score. China had some accidents on vault. So far USA is consistantly performing well.

:bounce::bounce:GO USA!!!!!:bounce::bounce:

oh no!!! Holly from the USA just fell on bars!! Drama!!!

Martian KC
Aug 24th, 2003, 06:55 PM
OMG! This has been the weirdest championship ever!

Libertango
Aug 24th, 2003, 07:33 PM
Event finals:

Vault:
1.Oksana Chusovitina (UZB) :eek: :D
2.Kang Yun Mi (KOR) :)
2.Elena Zamolodchikova (RUS)

Bars:
1.Chellsie Memmel (USA)
1.Hollie Vise (USA)
3.Elizabeth Tweddle (GBR)

Mens floor:
1.Paul Hamm (USA)
1.Jordan Jovtchev (BUL)
3.Kyle Shewfelt (CAN)

Pommel horse:
1.Teng Haibin (CHN)
1.Takehiro Kashima (JPN) :)
3.Nikolai Krukov (RUS)

Rings:
1.Jordan Jovtchev (BUL)
1.Dimosthenis Tambakos (GRE)
3.Matteo Morandi (ITA)
3.Andrea Coppolino (ITA)

WOW at Chusovitina!! 12 years after she was world champ on floor, and at age 28!! :eek: :worship: This on top of the fact that her son is very ill at the moment.
Womens beam/floor is tonight and mens vault, high bar, parallel bar. Hope the Chinese do well, they are the best nation on the beam.
There were loads of ties for medals tonight, wierd..........

Martian KC
Aug 24th, 2003, 08:00 PM
Congrats to Holly on her first gold medal!!:D

This is definitely the most talented field of US women.

Julian
Aug 24th, 2003, 09:19 PM
Wow I definitely enjoyed watching the team competition today even though I picked the coverage late...keep in mind that I havent watched Gymnastics on t.v. since the 2000 OLYMPICS and I was surprised on how many big tricks these young ladies are performing with such ease! :eek:

I gotta agree that these U.S. ladies are definitely gonna be the ones to watch in Greece next year. Obviously a big turn around then from what I saw the U.S. team do in the Sydney games..looks like they are training really hard. And I believe they were missing their key members!! Well the Chinese are strong as usual as well as the Romanians (although the Romanians made mistakes which Im not used to see them doing) but what in the world happened to the Russian team?? I didnt get to see them at all! Australia shocked me too!

Anyway wow Khorkina is still competing?? And a 3rd AA title!? Congrats to her! I love watching her perform. And if I heard right Chusovitina is 28?? I guess the gymnastics world isnt only ruled by the "young girls" anymore. hehe But yea I am looking forward to the Olympics next year. GO SVETLANA, ZAMO, CARLY, and CHELSEA!

BTW can anyone fill me in on what happened to Andreea Raducan (I loved her in Sydney!), the U.S. team from the 2000 Olympics, and Ekaterina Lobazynuk (spelling)?? I got a lot of catching up to do. :D

Martian KC
Aug 24th, 2003, 09:27 PM
Raducan retired last year, I believe. I loved Ekaterina Labuznyuk! She was soo cute and elegant!!

Ting
Aug 25th, 2003, 02:11 AM
Happy day for China today:bounce:
Fan Ye 9.812 :eek:
Li Xiaopeng 9.818 and 9.825:eek:

:woohoo:

AKTW
Aug 25th, 2003, 06:34 AM
Congrats Teng Haibin! :)
:eek: Oksana Chusovitina :eek:
I like watching Li Xiaopeng! :D
Go China!! :bounce:

Libertango
Aug 25th, 2003, 07:35 AM
Womens beam:
1.Fan Ye (CHN) :woohoo: :D :worship:
2.Catalina Ponor (ROM)
3.Ludmila Yezhova (RUS)

Floor:
1.Daiane dos Santos (BRA) :eek:
2.Catalina Ponor (ROM)
3.Elena Gomez (ESP)

Mens vault:
1.Li Xiaopeng (CHN) :D
2.Marian Dragulescu (ROM)
3.Kyle Shewfelt (CAN)

Parallel Bars
1.Li Xiaopeng (CHN) :worship:
2.Alexei Nemov (RUS)
3.Huang Xu (CHN)

High Bar:
1.Takehiro Kashima (JPN) :D
2.Igor Cassina (ITA)
3.Alexei Nemov (RUS)

YAY the Chinese women finally do themselves justice! Fan Ye scored the highest score of the whole womens competition, 9.812! :eek: Overall I think it has been a great competition with loads of new names to look out for and a very high level of gymnastics, both in the mens and womens. Can't wait for Athens next year!

propi
Aug 25th, 2003, 08:33 AM
The floor competition was simply great, the 3 girls at the top did perfectly, and the Brasilian was the best with that high jumps.
Congrats to Elena Gómez :kiss: great championship, girl go home and have some rest

AKTW
Aug 25th, 2003, 11:03 AM
Li Xiaopeng won two gold medals! :D
Fan Ye was just great! :D
Congrats China! :woohoo:

Martian KC
Aug 25th, 2003, 09:55 PM
Will the individual events be telecasted in the US?!?!

Libertango
Aug 25th, 2003, 11:40 PM
I've just watched the event finals and all I can say is WOW! Chusovitina and Kang were great on the vault, Daiane dos Santos was adorable on floor ( :eek: at the arabian pike!) but the highlight has to be Fan Ye on the beam, absolutely beautiful from start to finish :worship: Li Xiaopeng was brilliant too. One of the best and highest quality world champs I can remember :)

Ting
Aug 26th, 2003, 12:16 AM
That UB final sucks though:rolleyes:

selesfan1
Aug 26th, 2003, 02:31 AM
ANdrea Joyce said some realy mean things abouta Russian Gymnast. She said I can't believe tey would put an athlete with so little talent on the Russian team. Lisa Skinner fro Australia is hott too bad she was injured. I really enjoyed watching them. It is weird like the commentators said to have to get to know so many new faces the year before the olympics. It is weird to see the U.S. be the best team in the world. Does anyone else think Alexei Nemov is hott?

Ting
Aug 26th, 2003, 02:34 AM
ANdrea Joyce said some realy mean things abouta Russian Gymnast. She said I can't believe tey would put an athlete with so little talent on the Russian team. Lisa Skinner fro Australia is hott too bad she was injured. I really enjoyed watching them. It is weird like the commentators said to have to get to know so many new faces the year before the olympics. It is weird to see the U.S. be the best team in the world. Does anyone else think Alexei Nemov is hott?
Lisa Skinner is great!!:worship:

AKTW
Aug 26th, 2003, 03:58 AM
There're really many new faces and most of them are talented.
Alexei Nemov is hot?Yep. :)

Ting
Aug 26th, 2003, 05:23 AM
There're really many new faces and most of them are talented.
Alexei Nemov is hot?Yep. :)
Oh Alexei's son is a cutie:kiss:

salima
Aug 26th, 2003, 08:28 AM
Congrats, and a biiiiiig :hug: to Oksana

http://www.uzreport.com/En/index.cfm?act=1&news_id=10380

Chusovitina battles age for vault title
UzReport.com Posted 26.08.2003 01:09
Oksana Chusovitina (right) with her coachOksana Chusovitina was not worrying about her rivals when she won the women´s vault at the World Gymnastics Championships on Saturday as the health of her son tends to occupy her mind most of the time.
According to Reuters, the 28-year-old from Uzbekistan has spent part of every day in Anaheim talking on the phone to her three-year-old son Alisher, who is battling against leukaemia.
Alisher is currently receiving treatment in Germany, where he has been since he was diagnosed with the disease a year ago.
After her victory on Saturday, Chusovitina´s first thoughts were not on how she would celebrate the gold medal but on how the win might help her son.
"I help him by being here ... earning money for his treatment," she said. "My goal is to help my son."
Chusovitina has found that her son´s disease is a much tougher battle than the ones she has faced in a long and successful gymnastics career.
She was the 1991 world floor exercise champion for the Soviet Union and an Olympic gold medallist with the CIS team in Barcelona a year later.
Chusovitina was also the first women to perform a full-twisting double layout somersault on the floor with the twist coming in the second somersault.
After the break up of the Soviet Union she began competing for her native Uzbekistan and has bucked a trend in the sport by improving with age.
Over the past few years, she has enjoyed success in the floor and vault disciplines on the circuit, attracting a large following because of her achievements in the sport at a relatively advanced age.
"I´m very excited because this title shows that you can be a successful gymnast at 28," she said.
"This is a woman´s sport, not just a girl´s sport."
Chusovitina and her husband alternate spending time with their son in Germany and she has moved her training base there.
"Alisher lives in the hospital now and his treatment is likely to go on for some time," she said.
"I talked to him on the phone this morning and he said, ´Mom, I love you´."
Olympic vault champion Elena Zamolochikova tied for the silver medal behind Chusovitina, but instead of being unhappy about finishing second, the Russian was full of admiration for the winner.
"I would be very proud to emulate Oksana," Zamolochikova said. "It´s hard to believe that she´s 28 and still performing so well