PDA

View Full Version : Anna's pal Rios just 'having a little fun'

Bonnard
Jan 31st, 2002, 09:24 PM
Much has been written on these pages over the past few days about the comments by Marcelo Rios regarding the current state of women's tennis. Rios, the former No. 1-ranked men's player in the world, put himself in the firing line by saying at last week's Australian Open that women's early-round matches were so uncompetitive and one-sided that they were a "joke."
Much like Pat Cash and Richard Krajicek before him, Rios did not exactly endear himself to the cream of today's women's tennis crop with his observations. Players like Martina Hingis and Venus Williams were quick to knock the petulant Chilean, taking offense to his remarks and springing to the defense of the women's game.

But while some of the top players in the game were spewing anti-Rios rhetoric, perhaps the most popular player in tennis today says people should lighten up and cut her buddy some slack.

"Well, first of all (Rios) is a good friend of mine," said Russian tennis starlet Anna Kournikova, shortly after demolishing Spaniard Cristina Torrens-Valero 6-3, 6-0 in 48 minutes Tuesday afternoon at the Toray Pan Pacific Open in Tokyo -- just the type of match Rios was referring to.

"I just think I played really well (Tuesday) and she just probably felt like there wasn't anything she could do after the first set. It was not like she didn't try or anything. When the top players -- like Martina (Hingis), Jennifer (Capriati) or Lindsay (Davenport) -- are playing well, it's tough to beat them in the first couple of rounds. But that doesn't necessarily mean there is no depth."

Kournikova, the glamour queen of tennis whose ranking has plummeted from a high of No. 8 after a lengthy injury layoff, even goes so far as to agree with Rios -- sort of.

"Of course, in Grand Slams sometimes you do have easy matches in the beginning, but that doesn't mean there's no depth. Like right now, No. 100 (99 actually) like me, I could probably beat somebody who is ranked higher."

Kournikova then leaps to Rios' defense again.

"I will also say that people misunderstand him a lot, especially you guys (the press). You know, I don't think that he meant it in a bad way or anything."

But Anna, he said women's tennis today was a joke!

"That's just Marcelo, he's having fun," a smiling Kournikova gushes. "He's relaxed, he's cool. I don't really think he meant it in a bad way."

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:
:)

http://www.wtafans.com/index2.html
http://www.wtafans.com/interactive.html
http://www.wtafans.com/this.html

Bright Red
Jan 31st, 2002, 09:33 PM
Anna's response was to be expected. After all, she goes around selling sex more than tennis. How could she understand why the other female players are complaining? Not that I don't disagree with Rios entirely.

Interesting how Anna didn't mention two of the best tennis players: the Williamses. I guess she figured that in a matchup between herself and one of the sisters, Rios theory would hold true, and she'd receive a nice bagel or two. Then she'd have to wholeheartedly agree with him.

endiadjendiadj
Jan 31st, 2002, 09:36 PM
anna's entitled to her thoughts just like rios is entitled to his. he is right though. in a backhanded way, he was saying that the top female players are so much better than the rest, hence the same players always make it to the later rounds and the lopsided scores, whereas on the mens tour, no one player is that much better than the next, hence all the upsets and tight matches. which is true.

brickhousesupporter
Jan 31st, 2002, 11:43 PM
Bright Red, I noticed that too. Funny aint it.

Bright Red
Feb 1st, 2002, 12:11 AM
BHS--

Youre right. Too funny.

CC
Feb 1st, 2002, 02:28 AM
I guess she feels the need to defend her friend.....:rolleyes:

GrandSlammed
Feb 1st, 2002, 02:49 AM
Interesting how Anna didn't mention two of the best tennis players: the Williamses. I guess she figured that in a matchup between herself and one of the sisters, Rios theory would hold true, and she'd receive a nice bagel or two. Then she'd have to wholeheartedly agree with him.
Bright Red, Anna Kane has got wins over, "Martina, Jennifer and Lindsay" ... lol... ZERO wins vs. Williams*2... ZERO.:)

ys
Feb 1st, 2002, 03:10 AM
Anna mentiioned players who were #1s. As simple as that. The word "Top" implies certain number.

Who the heck are Williams sisters? #3 at best, showing up at tournaments once a month.

Double Fault
Feb 1st, 2002, 03:14 AM
Originally posted by ys
Anna mentiioned players who were #1s. As simple as that. The word "Top" implies certain number.

Who the heck are Williams sisters? #3 at best, showing up at tournaments once a month.

But #3 is good enough to win a lot, don't you think?

brickhousesupporter
Feb 1st, 2002, 03:15 AM
No ys if you are going to insult the players, its #2 at best. Venus was number two last summer. :rolleyes:

Bright Red
Feb 1st, 2002, 03:16 AM
Originally posted by Grandslammed

Bright Red, Anna Kane has got wins over, "Martina, Jennifer and Lindsay" ... lol... ZERO wins vs. Williams*2... ZERO.

You said it, GS'd. I guess we know who the REAL #1's are.

btw, I love the color you typed my name in.

Double Fault
Feb 1st, 2002, 03:17 AM
brickhousesupporter, thanks for the clarification. I guess if I'm going to quote somebody I should first check their facts. lol :)

apoet29
Feb 1st, 2002, 03:53 AM
Easy guys, Anna is allowed her opinion and is certainly allowed to defend her friend. Although I'm not quite sure why she thought he was joking. Of course, Rios is not the first ATP tour player to slam the women's game and he won't be the last, but this is Anna's opinion of Rios and she is entitled to it even if other female players (Hingis and Capriati) and us disagree with it.

How did the Williams sisters get involved with this argument? Just because Anna didn't mention them doesn't mean that she doesn't think they are talented or a threat. Anna was merely giving examples of top players and that doesn't mean she has to mention every one. She didn't mention Monica Seles (a former no. 1) either. Does that mean that Anna doesn't take Monica seriously as a player? Of course not. Let's not read too much into things here.

Ys, "top" has several definitions to it. The term doesn't necessarily mean just a no 1 player. It could also mean a player in the top ten, a player who has won slams, a player who wins tournaments on a consistent basis. Hingis hasn't won a slam since 99 including the three years since that time she held the no. 1 spot. Was Hingis a top player? Definantly based on her results. Did she deserve to be no. 1? No. Seles hasn't been in a slam final since 98. Is she a top player? Yes, based on her consistency and results. Are the Williams sisters top players? Definantly. Venus has won 4 of the last 7 slams and Serena has won a slam and made a slam finals, plus a chase championship.

I guess my point is that a top player is just not a player who reaches no. 1. That definition has changed over the last four years. When we discuss top players, we need to look at their entire career and not just look at if they have made the no. 1 spot.

Bright Red
Feb 1st, 2002, 04:10 AM
Originally posted by apoet29

Anna was merely giving examples of top players and that doesn't mean she has to mention every one

That would be true for most of the other top 10 players, but to overlook Venus? Come on, apoet29. Venus is clearly the one to beat most of the time. How can anyone who knows anything about women's tennis overlook Venus?

That would be like talking about the leading cola makers and overlooking Coke. Or the best wine producing nations and overlooking France.

Sorry, but Anna has further demonstrated how out of touch she is with her "supposed" sport.

Bright Red
Feb 1st, 2002, 04:13 AM
...or the best golf players and overlooking Tiger Woods.

Martian Mel
Feb 1st, 2002, 04:17 AM
OMG i can't believe this:eek:

You're getting upset because Anna didn't mentioned Venus??
Give her a break, if you get upset about THAT then you will probably dislike a lot of players because not every player will mention Venus in her interview!

Bright Red
Feb 1st, 2002, 04:20 AM
No one's getting upset, except maybe you, Martina Hingisova. Anna chose to express her opinion of Rios opinion, so I just had to give my opinion, and in my opinion, she's out of touch with tennis.

Vanity
Feb 1st, 2002, 04:26 AM
Anna was just making a point. She doesn't need to name off everyone in the top 10 to do that!!! I don't see what the big deal is.

apoet29
Feb 1st, 2002, 04:27 AM
Originally posted by Bright Red
Originally posted by apoet29

That would be true for most of the other top 10 players, but to overlook Venus? Come on, apoet29. Venus is clearly the one to beat most of the time. How can anyone who knows anything about women's tennis overlook Venus?

That would be like talking about the leading cola makers and overlooking Coke. Or the best wine producing nations and overlooking France.

Sorry, but Anna has further demonstrated how out of touch she is with her "supposed" sport.

I think it is really easy to jump on everything that a player says, rip it apart, misinterpret her meaning. Lord knows that enough people do that to Venus and Serena. Perhaps you are right, but I am attempting to give Anna the benefit of the doubt here, especially since she didn't mention Seles whom she is greatly fond of and cites as an inspiration.

BTW, I love your analogy about cola makers and French winemakers. It's great.:wavey:

Bright Red
Feb 1st, 2002, 04:33 AM
Why thank you, apoet29. I don't disagree with you at all, and I do realize the fine line I'm walking here.

Infiniti2001
Feb 1st, 2002, 05:21 AM
Who the heck are Williams sisters?
Check the pic below :) there's 21 year old Venus who is currently the Wimbledon and U.S. Champion and her little sister Serena( 20 ) Together they are 7-0 against Anna Kornikova :p

http://www.fortunecity.com/olympia/bischoff/239/e17772c0.gif

#3 at best, showing up at tournaments once a month.

Well, they've both proven that being #1 really makes no difference to them ... Just refer to the U.S. Open 2001.
Geez, "quit acting like Anna's *hit don't stink :eek:

ys
Feb 1st, 2002, 05:26 AM
Hehe, it works.. I do enjoy these little jabs to my good friends Williams fans..:)
So easy to get them going...:eek:

apoet29
Feb 1st, 2002, 05:29 AM
Originally posted by ys
Hehe, it works.. I do enjoy these little jabs to my good friends Williams fans..:)
So easy to get them going...:eek:

You're so bad! Tell me does this same approach work for you when someone jabs Anna or Martina?:wavey:

Bright Red
Feb 1st, 2002, 05:29 AM
If you call partying going, then I think we're going full swing. :bounce:

ys
Feb 1st, 2002, 05:48 AM
When someone jabs Martina, it is pretty unpredictable, I can start defending her, or I can do something else. I like her but I am by no means a fan of her. :)
With Anna.. I guess it would work wonders.. No one critisizes my favourite players harder than myself, or the cat, perhaps, who is also a fan of many of those players.. So..

Teasing fans of biggest rivals is what these boards are designed for.:p Or, well, for some other things too..:)

apoet29
Feb 1st, 2002, 05:49 AM
Originally posted by ys
When someone jabs Martina, it is pretty unpredictable, I can start defending her, or I can do something else. I like her but I am by no means a fan of her. :)
With Anna.. I guess it would work wonders.. No one critisizes my favourite players harder than myself, or the cat, perhaps, who is also a fan of many of those players.. So..

Teasing fans of biggest rivals is what these boards are designed for.:p Or, well, for some other things too..:)

Amen to that!:)

Meesh
Feb 1st, 2002, 05:54 AM
I still think Billie Jean King had the best reply to Rios. I can't find her actual quote but she mentions the men that diss the woman are having a slump/issues/etc.. or something like that. She also said both the men and woman should be working together to promote the sport! AMEN!

At first people could of "misunderstood" him as Anna said but then he came out a second time and reiterated his opinion.

GrandSlammed
Feb 1st, 2002, 05:57 AM
Poor little innocent, unassuming Anna?

Whether you can handle it or not... you can't talk tennis, in this day and time, when especially making reference to the most domineering players on the Wta tour, and NOT mention the name Williams... it's not done, it CAN'T be done. Sorry but it's obvious, that Anna Kane, in her stinky, sidewinding little way.. tryed dismissing the sisters.:p The three players Anna did mention, have ALL lost their last meetings with the Williams... INCLUDING, Anna herSELF. :eek:

Sooo.. Anna knew good and well, what she was doing... and so DO I. ;)

Also, Anna has talked much smack about Venus in the past... so... this does not surprise anyone.

Anna, girl.. 'ya WRONG.. you know 'ya wrong... and the Lord ain't gonna bless 'ya for being file like that. :p

Vanity
Feb 1st, 2002, 05:59 AM
Hehe, it works.. I do enjoy these little jabs to my good friends Williams fans..

You're right about that, ys! Take Infiniti for example, who only shows up on the board when somebody takes a jab at a Williams sister. :)

apoet29
Feb 1st, 2002, 06:01 AM
Originally posted by Meesh
I still think Billie Jean King had the best reply to Rios. I can't find her actual quote but she mentions the men that diss the woman are having a slump/issues/etc.. or something like that. She also said both the men and woman should be working together to promote the sport! AMEN!

At first people could of "misunderstood" him as Anna said but then he came out a second time and reiterated his opinion.

I love Billie Jean King. She is such a wonderful role for female tennis players and absolutely right about Rios.

Vanity
Feb 1st, 2002, 06:06 AM
Oh grandslammed, calm that robust bootie down before you give yourself a heart attack! hehe ;)

There ARE other players in the WTA tour you know... maybe if one of the Williamses had won the Australian Open, I could understand your anger... ;)
don't take everything against the Williams so personally... unless you are related to them which I highly doubt...

***SMILE*** :D :D :D

:bounce:

Bright Red
Feb 1st, 2002, 06:12 AM
And the wonderful goddesses of tennis look around pensively smiling and appreciating the support of all of their cool fans

http://www.venusserenafans.com/Images/Index/Yellow/sisters-bottom-img2.png

:bounce: :bounce: !Go Venus! :bounce: !Go Serena! :bounce: :bounce:

ys
Feb 1st, 2002, 06:32 AM
Vanity, in a sense we all related to each other. or at least that's what the Bible says..

Infiniti2001
Feb 1st, 2002, 06:53 AM
You're right about that, ys! Take Infiniti for example, who only shows up on the board when somebody takes a jab at a Williams sister.

You better get use to me showing up whenever I feel like it, just like ys shows up to defend the Russian players... I've been around longer than you have and will continue to hang around , so get over yourself Vanity :P

CC
Feb 1st, 2002, 07:02 AM
Yeah Yeah. He may be her friend, and while his comment has a smudge of truth, it came off as spiteful and bullyish. Anna saying that he didn't mean it was ridiculous, because as Meesh said, he reiterated his opinion. I don't know, maybe the best she could have said in that situation was....it was a harsh comment but he's a nice guy otherwise.....blah blah blah.....

Not something as dismissive as "That's just Marcelo, he's having fun." That's just totally ignoring the implications of his attitude toward her and her gender (in the sport of tennis). :rolleyes:

Greenout
Feb 1st, 2002, 07:08 AM
It's kind of pathetic IMHO. Anna just backed up
Rios because she doesn't want to anger her so called
"hormone infected audience". Oh and geez..
she can't bad mouth South America because that's
her sweet "Exhibition" gold market.

Thanks Anna for pushing the WTA back to
the 1950's!!

marshmellow
Feb 1st, 2002, 07:12 AM
lol GS...i don't think anna tried dismissing the williams...or any other player at all....she just said her opinion about it....maybe she could have said something like what CC posted...but she didn't...:rolleyes: ...

Imelda
Feb 1st, 2002, 07:34 AM
Where exactly was Marcelo when Anna told reporters this? Under the the table? :confused:

Martian KC
Feb 1st, 2002, 07:40 AM
lol, I guess we need to mention the willis in every one of our posts too.:rolleyes:

Kart
Feb 1st, 2002, 08:02 AM
ROTFL @ the posts complaining that Anna didn't mention Williams sisters.

I'm sure they're reeling from the blow and Anna is feeling very guilty about so obviously dismissing them.

ajayares
Feb 1st, 2002, 08:23 AM
It's pretty pathetic that some take issue at very petty things..

Oh No, Anna should be ashamed of herself, for not mentioning the williams sisters.. :rolleyes:

Obviously she must have made a mistake aswell, when making comment on her match up against Serena in Sydney a few weeks back.. she said something along these lines " it will be a good test to see where I am at, as I am playing one of the TOP players" (that's not the exact quote, but I do have it on tape and it is similar to that)

As for Rios comments, well he does have a point.. the women's game does not have as much depth as the men's, blind freddy would know that.. but saying that, the Women's game is so much more exicting and 10 times better than the men's IMO..

There are only about 4 player I really like to watch in the men's game..

As for Anna defending Rios's comments it only her opinion.. Big Deal, it does not mean it is right her wrong..

As many opinions on here can attest to that..

Vanity
Feb 1st, 2002, 09:23 AM
I just think some people need to get over the fact that Anna didn't mention the Williamses in her little interview. You Williams obsessives must think Anna's opinion is god's word, the big deal you are making out of this. If Anna thinks nothing of the Williamses, so what? It's HER choice. Get over it.

Jordan.
Feb 1st, 2002, 09:28 AM
Exactly:rolleyes:

Bright Red
Feb 1st, 2002, 11:29 AM
Yummy, yummy. More comments to discuss.

Originally posted by ajayares:
It's pretty pathetic that some take issue at very petty things..

Similarly, it's pretty pathetic to take issue with those of us that take issue with petty things. Apparently it's not so petty as to get a post out of you.

And It's not so much that I take issue with Anna's lack of mentioning as it is that I love taking advantage of a wonderful opportunity to point out how ridiculous Anna can be at times. Overlook Venus? Now that's pathetic.

Anna shouldn't be ashamed of being who she is--that is, someone out of touch with tennis. Whether she mentions Venus and Serena doesn't make the world stop for them or their fans. Nor does it change the fact that each of them has at least won a Grand Slam. Heck, it doesn't change the fact that THEY have won at least ONE singles title. Which is one more than Anna has.

The point here is that Anna chose to not support the truly talented players of the tour on the point that Rios and a lot of others make about women's tennis, and she most likely doesn't know where the Williamses rank. That's her choice but it certainly deserves discussion. And so does she open up herself to the criticism we so justly gave her as well as our exposure of her envy of the Williamses.

I just wish that the host of "The Weakest Link" would tell Anna to "just go away".

ajayares
Feb 1st, 2002, 12:09 PM

Anna shouldn't be ashamed of being who she is--that is, someone out of touch with tennis. Whether she mentions Venus and Serena doesn't make the world stop for them or their fans. The point here is that Anna chose to not support the truly talented players of the tour on the point that Rios and a lot of others make about women's tennis, and she most likely doesn't know where the Williamses rank. That's her choice but it certainly deserves discussion. And so does she open up herself to the criticism we so justly gave her as well as our exposure of her envy of the Williamses.

I just wish that the host of "The Weakest Link" would tell Anna to "just go away". [/B]

Oh, how pathetic can we get..

There is nothing worst than someone who thinks the Sun shines out of Williams ass.. The tennis world revolves around the williams sisters does it???

Oh, how dare you Anna, not know where the Williams sister are rank and how dare her not forget to mention them in every single interview you do..

Do you really think she is envy of the Williams sisters??? I think not..

As for the host of the weakest link telling Anna to just go away, I think it would be more appropriate is "Bright red" would just climb back under that rock..

Bright Red
Feb 1st, 2002, 12:19 PM
Ooh you're scaring me ajayeres. You know what I think? I think the most absolutely pathetic thing I've observed tonight is how you let an anonymous group of posters (including yours truly) get you all worked up. Admit it, that's pathetic. I'm all cozy behind my computer just pushing your buttons--one right after the other, and smiling the whole time.

You've gotten yourself worked up more than anyone else in the thread. And over such a petty topic. It is petty, right?

Try talking about the players instead of the posters. Or is that asking too much of you?

Bright Red
Feb 1st, 2002, 12:21 PM
BTW, ayajeres. Anna doesn't have a title, does she?

Adrian
Feb 1st, 2002, 12:23 PM
Just discussing "Tennis" are we bright red?...you really are pathetic.

Bright Red
Feb 1st, 2002, 12:25 PM
Adrian

I am talking tennis. In fact, I'm asking whether Anna has a singles title.

Care to answer?

Adrian
Feb 1st, 2002, 12:25 PM
No she doesn't..doesn't have her head up her butt either.

Bright Red
Feb 1st, 2002, 12:29 PM
I didn't think so.

You want to know how many titles the Williamses have?

Dawn Marie
Feb 1st, 2002, 12:30 PM
WOW! I didn't realize The Williams sisters are 7 and 0 against Anna? I knew she never won against them, but I thought it was fewer matches then that?

ajayares
Feb 1st, 2002, 12:30 PM
Yeah, off course.. I am really worked up over this topic..

I couldn't really give a sh!t what you type and say.. But I thought I might aswell give my 2 cents worth, just like anyone else has in here..

What Anna has not won a title?? No, you sure??? Well I thought she had won some titles.. may not be a WTA single tour title, but she has won tournaments..

What's that got to do with you arugment??? You seem to be getting off the topic.. :rolleyes:

Bright Red
Feb 1st, 2002, 12:34 PM
Listen, ayajares. The topic is what I make it. Right now, we're in the middle of a discussion as to how Anna is 0-7 against the Williamses.

Bright Red
Feb 1st, 2002, 12:37 PM
Where are the members of Bright Red's fan club when you need them? I always get a response from my many admirers.

juggler
Feb 1st, 2002, 01:20 PM
ive never in my life seen such a big deal made out of such a small, petty, non-issue. its got to the stage where its almost comical.

oh...and i think i know why u are called bright red....

Bright Red
Feb 1st, 2002, 01:31 PM
It's been comical for me from the beginning. And already I have three new willy-foo-foos added to the Bright Red Fan Club.

Let's see, there's you, juggler, Adrian, and ayajares. You guys love me.

1) juggler
2) Adrian
3) ayajares

I just hope it keeps growing and growing and growing. Anyone else want to join. The only requirement is that you be ultra-sensitive and react to me when I talk about your fave. Hee hee, this is way too fun.

Vanity
Feb 1st, 2002, 07:25 PM
I think it's the other way around, bright red... you seemed to be quite upset that Anna didn't mention the Williamses in her interview.

ys
Feb 1st, 2002, 08:03 PM
It seems to me that something that was started as a joke, was
taken too serious by some folks with obvious humour deficiency..:rolleyes:

Aloysius
Feb 1st, 2002, 08:22 PM
Anna will make a great housewife someday. "Yes, husband... No, husband... Oh husband, I know you didn't mean to slap me across the face, punch me in the gut and hurl me across the room. I know you were just joking, husband. teehee. Here, let me fix you dinner. And later, I will put out for you."

Bright Red
Feb 1st, 2002, 08:57 PM
Rise and shine.

Originally posted by Vanity:

I think it's the other way around, bright red... you seemed to be quite upset that Anna didn't mention the Williamses in her interview.

I can't change what you think Vanity. I dish out a lot of harsh but true comments about the tennis players, so I fully expect harsh criticism and assinine remarks in return. Why would I get upset when the remarks start flowing in? Besides, I have three new members of the Bright Red Fan Club.

If you recall, the original post was that I merely said it's interesting Anna didn't mention the Williamses. Certain other posters got upset. One of Bright Red's Fan Club members even went as far as to sneak a peek at Anna's lower anatomy to determine where her head wasn't.

The main point I made was that she went against the WTA tour's opinion of Rios remark. That's a big deal. Unfortunately it didn't turn out to be the focus of this thread.

For the record, I actually think it's great that Anna doesn't mention the Williamses. For one, I have no confidence in her ability to speak tennis, and the Williamses deserve much more than that. Two, I just confirms to me that she is in fact envious of them. And who wouldn't be? Three, it gives me license to go all out and criticize her for a huge oversight.

In the end, I have won. I basically control the members of my fan club. And when I'm bored, I know exactly what to do to have a little fun.

sartrista7
Feb 1st, 2002, 09:09 PM
Oh Christ, this thread has become ridiculous. :rolleyes: It's not a huge oversight not to mention a Williams sister, and if it was deliberate it's not as if that's a surprise. It really doesn't need further debate.

Bright Red
Feb 1st, 2002, 09:25 PM
Anna says Rios is having a little fun. Why can't we have a little fun?

TSequoia01
Feb 1st, 2002, 10:16 PM
Who cares what Anna says or thinks. Maybe I will be concerned with regards to her tennis thoughts when she can reach the finals of a tier IV. Criticisms of Infiniti are unfounded, I find Infiniti's post always thoughtful and pleasant. :cool:

c2
Feb 1st, 2002, 10:49 PM
Not to take this thread in another direction, but.. what I notice about this is it always seems to be some male tennis player dissing the women's game!
What's up with that? Pat Cash, (bona fide idiot), John McEnroe (though he's backtracked lately, ) and I seem to remember (dating myself here) Ilie Nastasie back in the 80's saying the same thing.

:confused:

I may have missed something, but I haven't heard of any of the women players dissing the men, despite the falling ratings, attendance and popularity of the men's game. what's the deal??
More than a little annoying...

:rolleyes:

I think BJK was right.

endiadjendiadj
Feb 1st, 2002, 11:14 PM
'anna went against the wta's opinion of rios' remarks. that's a big deal.'

it's only a big deal if one make it a big deal.

anna obviously didn't take his remarks seriously by her answers. i don't give a rats a$$ about his remarks either! we all know which tour is better anyway! WTA

Bright Red
Feb 1st, 2002, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by cmglenn:

I may have missed something, but I haven't heard of any of the women players dissing the men, despite the falling ratings, attendance and popularity of the men's game. what's the deal??

That's so true. I've never heard them diss the men's game--which is not nearly as interesting as the women's game. It surprises me that given the personalities/attitudes of some of the players on the women's tour, we haven't heard it. The perfect time to diss would have been when Rios made this comments.

Originally posted by endiadjendiadj:
i don't give a rats a$$ about his remarks either! we all know which tour is better anyway! WTA
It's just envy of the women's game. Just like Anna's envy.

endiadjendiadj
Feb 1st, 2002, 11:28 PM
anna's envy of what?

Vanity
Feb 1st, 2002, 11:38 PM
In the end, I have won. I basically control the members of my fan club. And when I'm bored, I know exactly what to do to have a little fun.

Well since this is all fun to you, then I won't bother giving you a proper response. I'm done with this thread now! :D

c2
Feb 2nd, 2002, 12:40 AM
tx, Bright Red. I've never been quoted before! :)

Bright Red
Feb 2nd, 2002, 12:43 AM
Vanity

All of my posts are done for fun--athough some are a different type of fun than others. I try to be accurate and honest about my posts. I try to limit my opinions to the players and not the posters (although as you can see, it is getting increasingly difficult to resist the temptation to poke fun at some of the posters). Tennis for me is not a job-it's a past time activity, and this board is full of opinions about the game. I don't see how could it be anything more than fun.

I hope this doesn't come across as rude, because it is not intended to be. But I never asked you nor anyone for that matter to respond to my posts. I get enough play from the smart posters on this board as well as my loyal fan club members. And when no one responds, I know that what I've posted must be generally agreed with by others. So trust me, I'll not miss your response.

Bright Red
Feb 2nd, 2002, 12:46 AM
yw, cmglenn. It is a great point. I had never thought of it before.

juggler
Feb 2nd, 2002, 09:41 AM
bwahahaha!

its nice that people are so easily entertained

tenn_ace
Feb 2nd, 2002, 10:04 AM
gosh... if Anna didn't mention any of the Williamses, she would have been called a racist "who is out of touch with tennis" or something else. Whatever Red, you really need to go get a life.

marshmellow
Feb 2nd, 2002, 11:02 AM
geez, you guyzhttp://www.theunholytrinity.org/cracks_smileys/kao/chika/chirolp_tere3.gif...lighten up....how does an answer of anna about what rios said get interpreted as dismissing the top players of the wta tour? maybe that's how you see it, but it doesn't mean that anna intentionally dismissed the top women players by saying "That's just Marcelo, he's having fun," ......"He's relaxed, he's cool. I don't really think he meant it in a bad way."

i think that's just how she felt....maybe she does agree somewhat with his commentshttp://www.3dpcgame.com/cwm/s/kao/chika/chirolp_hatena.gif.....then that would actually mean that she thinks the top players on tour are really on a different level with the rest...how could you be mad at that if you're a davenport, a capriati or a williams? (or any player who's consistently on top 10 or 15) http://www.duhspot.com/users/smiley/s/kao/chika/chirolp_kyoton.gifand if she doesn't agree with rios' comments, maybe she just answered that way to not put more fuel into the fire about something that's not worth discussing anymore becos she thought it was really not true...

all we're really doing here right now is speculating. is that bad? no. but it's not worth getting so worked up over if you really disagree with marcelo. maybe anna could have said something like "i disagree, i think he's comments are really off" yes, maybe she could have disagreed with him more decisively.... but she didn't. http://www.duhspot.com/users/smiley/s/kao/chika/chirolp_um.gifdid she dismiss his comments when she answered that he gets misunderstood sometimes? somehow yes. but it's not like she turned her back on the wta tour with those answers. that's her opinion. no one's gonna lose sleep over ithttp://www.theunholytrinity.org/cracks_smileys/kao/chika/chirolp_guu.gif....so there's no sense in blowing it out of proportion...

it was anna who was being interviewed. and those were her answers. you don't have to like them. but to say that she's out of touch with tennis cos you disagree with her answers might be going in a little too deep about the whole issue already. it was marcelo's comments in the first placehttp://www.freakygamers.com/smilies/s2/kao/chika/chirolp_teretere.gif.....everyone's free to agree or disagree with him. http://www.freakygamers.com/smilies/s2/kao/chika/chirolp_iei2.gif...

Playa
Feb 2nd, 2002, 11:20 AM
No one is upsets that Anna didn't mention the williams sisters'
Brigth Red is right !!!

He just guessed right,so do I or any half brains

STICK IT IN YOUR SMALL HEAD

What has started as a kind of joke finished like a war
thank to the sharks!!!!!

Bright Red
Feb 2nd, 2002, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by marshmellow:
how does an answer of anna about what rios said get interpreted as dismissing the top players of the wta tour?
marshmellow, If you read further down in the interview, Anna also says the following:

Anna: "I just think I played really well (Tuesday) and she just probably felt like there wasn't anything she could do after the first set. It was not like she didn't try or anything. When the top players -- like Martina (Hingis), Jennifer (Capriati) or Lindsay (Davenport) -- are playing well, it's tough to beat them in the first couple of rounds. But that doesn't necessarily mean there is no depth."

Originally posted by marshmellow:
but to say that she's out of touch with tennis cos you disagree with her answers might be going in a little too deep about the whole issue already. it was marcelo's comments in the first place.....everyone's free to agree or disagree with him. ...
marshmellow, this is just my opinion of Anna and it doesn't just come from this comment, or her oversight of the Williamses. It comes from a number of other things I see and hear about her doing. Anna's more bad than good for the sport. I wish she would just go away.

Originally posted by the "true" Playa:
No one is upsets that Anna didn't mention the williams sisters'
Well put, Playa. Interesting how upset people are that I noticed? Hmmm.

Originally posted by tennis_ace:
Whatever Red, you really need to go get a life.
The time on your post is Feb 2nd, 2002 05:04 AM GMT, which is Friday night in Boston--which is where you are. So while I was out enjoying myself with friends, you were posting on this board maybe even alone and bitterly, so I really don't think I'm the one who needs to get a life.

marshmellow
Feb 2nd, 2002, 10:18 PM
ok, my bad. she said some names, but she didn't say the williamses. if that means dismissing them, then maybe you're right. IMO, i don't think she intentionally dismissed them though...she just happened to not say their surnames. now why would she do that if she didn't really intend to dismiss them? cos she 4GOT! http://www.contrabandent.com/cwm/s/kao/otn/blobtongue.gif call it silly but cmon...everyone knows venus and serena are top players....if anna didn't include their names, it doesn't mean that she doesn't think they are. cos it's basic knowledge. if this is interpreted as something anna has against the williams sisters, it's not. maybe it's a mistake of omission, but unless anna says something in the lines of "i don't think serena and venus are top players" http://www.contrabandent.com/cwm/s/kao/otn/pblob1.gif, i'd let this one go. venus and serena would not be hurt by this, nor would they care at all about what anna thinks of them. i still hold my stand that anna did not say anything bad about the williams sisters. if you think it is so bad that she didn't say their names, then im completely ok with that. i just don't think that anna would go to all the trouble to forget saying other people's surnames, to dismiss them....ok, now i sound silly...cos this whole thing is...

marshmellow, this is just my opinion of Anna and it doesn't just come from this comment, or her oversight of the Williamses. It comes from a number of other things I see and hear about her doing. Anna's more bad than good for the sport. I wish she would just go away. [/B]

i know it's your opinion. and i never said it's wrong. i just thought maybe we're going a little too deep into something anna had said. but since it's not just from this interview of hers that you're saying all this about, i can respect that. just becos anna's my fave, doesn't mean everyone has to like her. but please also understand that when you explicitly dislike someone, then other people who disagree will say something.

this whole thread was about anna's interview regarding her thoughts on marcelo's comments. anna said what she thought. everyone here said what he/she thought. our opinions don't have to be the same. but there's a way of looking at the whole picture and hearing out everyone else's views, no matter how different they may be from ours.

oh yeah, about anna going away cos she's more bad for the sport than good? i disagreehttp://www.minorannoyance.net/~spin/Smilies/kao/otn/bloblaugh1.gif....but we can have a whole new thread for that...

btw, hopefully im not in your club yet. cos i really never mean to fight with anyone everhttp://www.contrabandent.com/cwm/s/kao/otn/pblob5.gif... but if i am, then that's cool too...maybe i can overtake these guyz and even become pres....

Bright Red
Feb 2nd, 2002, 10:36 PM
Thanks, marshmellow. I completely understand your position and it's 100% reasonable.

And by the way, You're far from being in my fan club. Membership is exclusive and limited to those posters who are intellectually disadvantaged, and unable to refrain from making personal attacks against me because of something I say about a tennis player.

I still only have three loyal members ***sigh***

tenn_ace
Feb 3rd, 2002, 12:31 AM
The time on your post is Feb 2nd, 2002 05:04 AM GMT, which is Friday night in Boston--which is where you are. So while I was out enjoying myself with friends, you were posting on this board maybe even alone and bitterly, so I really don't think I'm the one who needs to get a life.

that remains to be seen when you post all this crap... Besides, who is bitterly here???? over some interview???... that was not even supposed to be about Williamses to start with... hehe..:eek:

Bright Red
Feb 3rd, 2002, 12:35 AM
Oh give it a rest, tennis_ace. You're the only one interested in keeping this thread alive.

CC
Feb 3rd, 2002, 01:57 AM
Yes, let's just forget it because I see that the word I used (dismissed) has completely gone off track. I never said she dismissed the williamses, I said she dismissed the implications of Rios' comments.

Bright Red
Feb 3rd, 2002, 02:02 AM
I also noticed that it was misconstrued, CC.

Iconoclast
Feb 3rd, 2002, 02:11 AM
Originally posted by GrandSlammed
Anna, girl.. 'ya WRONG.. you know 'ya wrong... and the Lord ain't gonna bless 'ya for being file like that.

Invoking deities to get your point across? Well, of course, it's only justified when Anna commits such horrendously vile acts as forgetting to mention Venus Williams in an interview. Let's get the Hague War Crime Tribunal involved as well.

CC
Feb 3rd, 2002, 02:11 AM
Methinks the fingers are too eager to punch.:drool:

CC
Feb 3rd, 2002, 02:14 AM
Originally posted by Iconoclast
Invoking deities to get your point across? Well, of course, it's only justified when Anna commits such horrendously vile acts as forgetting to mention Venus Williams in an interview. Let's get the Hague War Crime Tribunal involved as well.

Still wouldn't really be as ridiculous as Venusgate.

tenn_ace
Feb 3rd, 2002, 03:14 AM
looks like you're glued to the comp waiting for my response...............:o

Bright Red
Feb 3rd, 2002, 03:15 AM
Oh give it a rest, tennis_ace. You're the only one interested in keeping this thread alive.

Vanity
Feb 3rd, 2002, 03:18 AM
Y'all are still at it??? :eek:

tenn_ace
Feb 3rd, 2002, 03:20 AM
what I said, loser....

NOW I'll give it a rest:wavey:

Bright Red
Feb 3rd, 2002, 03:21 AM
Oops, you're right, Vanity. I didn't realize I was. Oh well, I guess I'll stop and sit back and watch this baby sink like the Titanic.

Vanity
Feb 3rd, 2002, 03:23 AM
tenn_ace, that'd probably be the best decision! Bright Red is just a stubbon ol' mule. Don't worry, we know we are right and he is wrong :) As he has proved time and time again, his knowledge of tennis is rather limited. ;)

tenn_ace
Feb 3rd, 2002, 03:24 AM
Thank you, Vanity... I knew I'm not alone understanding it!!!
:kiss:

Bright Red
Feb 3rd, 2002, 03:28 AM
Apparently not as stubborn as you, Vanity. You just can't stop posting to this thread. Now let's see if you can let it sink.

***Bright Red whispers in Vanity's big ears and recommends that she follow along and sing this song:

"Come on and sink, baby sink. Sink, sink, sink. Sink, baby sink. Sink, sink, sink."

But alas, he only hears an echo***

Vanity
Feb 3rd, 2002, 03:29 AM
Thank you, Vanity... I knew I'm not alone understanding it!!!

Trust me, you aren't! LOL!

At this point, Bright Red is just looking for attention ;)

Bright Red
Feb 3rd, 2002, 03:31 AM
Bingo, Vanity! You win.

Your prize will be mailed to you in 3-5 business days.

Dawn Marie
Feb 3rd, 2002, 03:35 AM
LMAO at BRIGHTRED, your sense of humor is fiesty and quite entertaining. I also thought you were a female.. for soem reason? Ah well your funny imho.:)

Bright Red
Feb 3rd, 2002, 03:37 AM
ty, Dawn Marie. I love when someone takes me on like this. It gives me an opportunity to reveal my creative side.

juggler
Feb 3rd, 2002, 06:45 AM
...and your self absorption