PDA

View Full Version : What caused the Black-out

cyberix
Aug 15th, 2003, 02:39 PM
Here is an explanation for what is happening and why a power grid cannot be restaured quickly. NewYork, Cleveland, Toronto,... are part of one power system. They are supplied in power by generating plants in that system and by power imported from other systems (Quebec is a major exporter). The nature of electrical systems is such that demand must always be met by supply. If it doesn't computers will automatically shed load. Now think of an electrical system in the following terms: think of a number of weights (demand centers) hanging from a number of interconnected rubber bands (power lines) from a board. When demand increases (man, it is hot!) the weights become heavier and the rubber bands stretch more and more. Suppose you have a defect in one of the bands and it snaps; all the other bands stretch even more, but if they were close to their limit another band will snap, making the situation even worse, and then another, etc... (the cascade effect). When a generating plant loses its load abruptly, it has to shut down. This takes time, and to bring it back on line takes even more time.
You can blame the politicians but we are also partly to blame. Very few new plants and power lines have been build in the last 10 or 20 years. So power suppliers had to find ways of making electricity supply more economical Sharing generating reserves was one way of doing this. (the all for one, one for all philosophy). the flip side of that decision is of course if one city in that system has a major problem, all cities in the system will share the problem.
Public opinion has switched against building new nuclear and large thermal plants and even building a new power line is very time consuming. This is why power systems are running with little spare reserve and we should expect more and more of these situations.

Dava
Aug 15th, 2003, 02:39 PM
They believe its lightning.

Bacardi
Aug 15th, 2003, 03:04 PM
It was those Canadians :p You know how they are, eating the Canadian bacon, having their Molsen beers, and discussing hockey season when it's not even started.... One of them forgot to push the BIG RED back-up button. :p :lol: Just Kidding....

Actually Dava, they don't think it was lightning now, at least not at the Niagara Falls plant. So they are still pretty unsure as to what's caused this. It seems to me, they could independantly start up each of the smaller 21 plants that went down. And also use the back-up power supply from New England to get things going.

I still like pointing my finger at the lousy politicians. Bushy loses more votes by the passing minute I hope! :D This should be something that was addressed by the Government a long time ago. Bush is out in CA away from the problem, with no intentions of visiting New Yorkers to offer any support, just as his coward behind was hiding during 9/11. :mad:

Dava
Aug 15th, 2003, 03:05 PM
Lol!

cyberix
Aug 15th, 2003, 03:10 PM
They believe its lightning.

Unlikely. Major power lines are protected against lightning by shield wires (the two cables hanging on top of the towers). Major lines (voltages in excess of 230,000 volts) are very rarely affected by lightning.

Eric_tennis
Aug 15th, 2003, 03:41 PM
I don't think they would be soo vulnerable to the lightning.
Anyway it's sad to hear that there were severe riots in Ottawa and NYC. :sad:

I lived in Ottawa before and shocked to know it happend in Ottawa. :eek:

Bacardi
Aug 15th, 2003, 05:51 PM
It's odd that Ottawa has more riots and looting than NYC. NYC has been relatively calm. :eek:

I guess some dummies decided it was a good time to get a new TV and some other choice electronics. :p

btw, just for the record, Bacardi is not near NYC or any of the blackout states... Do not blame her for the riots and looting, i haven't stole a damn thing. but if someone wants to get me a new flat screen tv, new pc, and nice surround sounds system, I won't complain ;)

decemberlove
Aug 15th, 2003, 06:12 PM
I don't think they would be soo vulnerable to the lightning.
Anyway it's sad to hear that there were severe riots in Ottawa and NYC. :sad:

I lived in Ottawa before and shocked to know it happend in Ottawa. :eek:

NOTHING happened in NYC, everyone was just chillin in the streets having a good time.

nyc's bad boy days are long gone. it was rated as american safest city at the start of this year. its overhyped when it comes to crime. youre pretty much safe in most places of nyc. compare this to philly, detroit, and bmore where shit aint always too pretty.

Bacardi
Aug 15th, 2003, 07:00 PM
Exactly..... I keep waiting for Detroit to rise up and the looting, fires, riots begin. :lol: Detroit is really bad for such acts, and the rumors presist it might be all weekend before they have power there. :eek:

Those crazy Ottawa Canadians, well what else do you expect? lol The Molsen beer got too hot for them :lol: J/K ;)

Malin
Aug 15th, 2003, 07:02 PM
I'm sure it was the French-Canadians!!! ;) ;)

cyberix
Aug 15th, 2003, 07:27 PM

because they were not affected, right? ;)

Bacardi
Aug 15th, 2003, 09:26 PM

Malin better watch out or sweetpinks will jump our case for the just kidding on Canadians. She seemed to take it serious over in the other thread..... even after you put 'JK'. I think before people are granted membership people should be given a list of proper webboard talk. JK should be listed as just kidding, as in joking. :lol:

You know, the Frenchie-Canadians didn't have any power outtage. I think it has something to do with them, and the other states more Northern to NY state, seeing as they lost no power. There is something fishy going on..... Those states want to join Canada now I hear is the main reason behind this. :eek: :p JUST KIDDING!!!!!!!!!

Madhuri
Aug 16th, 2003, 12:56 AM
I don't think it was anything major.

Someone probably switched their vibrator into high-power mode and overloaded the system:)

*JR*
Aug 16th, 2003, 02:22 PM
Maybe this question belongs in the "Ask Blondes Anything" thread. (One possible answer there: "They had a sale on Model 415 blow dryers, so we all turned them on @ 4:15"). :p

Barrie_Dude
Aug 16th, 2003, 06:27 PM
We just got power this morning in Toronto

Chris_Martin's_woman
Aug 16th, 2003, 06:31 PM
I cant imagine what I would do if it happened here!.......oh wait a minute.........we went through like three days without power due to a hurricane a few years back, but thats different.

Barrie_Dude
Aug 16th, 2003, 06:40 PM
I cant imagine what I would do if it happened here!.......oh wait a minute.........we went through like three days without power due to a hurricane a few years back, but thats different.Well, I did the hurricane thing in Florida while I lived there. The worst part is being sans air conditioning! :eek: