PDA

View Full Version : Arantxa in the 90's

DEETHELICK
Jan 31st, 2002, 08:05 PM
Hi everybody

Reading the posts on tennis in the early 90's was really interesting....great post :)

Everyone talks about Seles and Graf, but wat about ASV? What was she like? Was she a major contender for any of the other slams? What was her game like back then?

Wasn't her rivalry with the above 2 a great one?

There isnt much about her in those days and i'd be really interested to know what ASV was upto around that time!!

Thanx :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

anabel
Jan 31st, 2002, 08:14 PM
Yes of course, she was one of the biggest players in 90 's.
She was a contender for all the titles, reaching 11 GS finals. The problem of Arantxa was that she never was able to beat Graf or Seles with regularity. In fact she only defeated 1 time Seles before Hamburg 93 ( but well Seles was very difficult to beat that years) but she always was making finals, but well she lost lot of them... if you see her win lose record in finals.... its similar to her GS..4 wins for 8 finalis lost.
Anyway Arantxa was with Seles the only two player who make the #1 with Graf not injured... She has won titles in all surfaces, she has reached final at all GS and Olympics and Cahmpionships and she has won 5 Fed Cups...
There are too many things to say about her..... incredible career

irma
Jan 31st, 2002, 08:15 PM
I think ASV never got the credit she deserved,I made myself guilty of that too:rolleyes:, because it was always when she beat Steffi(and that happened a few times, wich is normal when you play each other every week, I realy had an ASV burn out in 92 because every week steffi played her again(6 tournaments behind each other or so and I wanted her to play somebody else for a chance, and it was also not that she beat Steffi then because those months she didn`t) but always when she beat Steffi I felt the last played far under her level and I never thought he maybe ASV just played well(now I never thought that of any player who beat Steffi but that`s a different story;))

irma
Jan 31st, 2002, 08:20 PM
anabel this is not to put ASV down but when she became number 1, Steffi was injured and she was already since Montreal 94. after the us open 94 she played 1 tournament till feb 95 because of a career treating backinjury.

saki
Jan 31st, 2002, 08:34 PM
I really enjoyed the Aranxta-Steffi rivalry. When they played on clay the matches were very very close, although Steffi always had the advantage on hardcourts or grass.

The 1995 Wimbledon final was excellent though! The game in the 3rd set with 13 deuces, sums it up brilliantly...

anabel
Jan 31st, 2002, 08:52 PM
Irma i mean Arantxa won French Open & US Open ' 94 with Graf playing, i think that that two titles made Arantxa get #1. Maybe with Graf playing Arantxa would not get it, but well Arantxa won 8 titles that year which made her get #1 early in 1995.
Gra won 7titles and only 1 GS beating Arantxa in the final... Graf finished year as #1 but i think Arantxa was the best that year, and for that she was #1 in 1995

irma
Jan 31st, 2002, 09:03 PM
I see, well it`s not that I think that she(asv) didn`t deserved to be number 1 at the end of 94 since her results where better that year, I think together she saved 7 matchpoints in two matches against Steffi(Hamburg and Montreal) right?

DEETHELICK
Jan 31st, 2002, 11:07 PM
I have read about 1994 for Arantxa and she did really well that year, especially winning that US Open after being blown away in the 1st set 6-1!!!

I think that the number of tourneys she won were all building up to her getting the number 1 ranking, I think they said that if she had not lost in the 1st rnd of the chase that year (to Halard-Decugis) she would have been the year end number 1 no matter what!

I don't think she benefitted from Steffi being injured, in fact even when the 2001 chase champs were on, they said the last time the no 1 ranking had been so tight was in 1994 between ASV and Graf....so it shows that at that time ASV was creeping up with Graf STILL in competition......

Also Arantxa was seeded number 1 at the French and I'm sure the French is played after Feb 95, so she was still able to give Steffi a run for her money...

I have heard about all her accomplishements, but it'd be really good to hear about some of her matches that were classics (not just GS)!

I wasn't even aware of what was goin on then so I feel like I missed out!

I think her, Seles and Graf were top of the roost at that time.... :)

Rollo
Jan 31st, 2002, 11:09 PM
No woman has gotten more out of herself than ASV.
She was the energizer bunny of the women's game. Anyone who beats Graf 3 times in one year(1994), surviving match points in two of those wins,is one strong road warrior IMO.

And with more than a few doubles slams, people forget how she can volley. I only wish she had used it more in singles. IMO her father had a negative effect on her career in the early 90's by firing coaches who tried to change her style.

Arantxa's really utilized her net play in beating Graf at the 94 US Open. Her narrow loses in finals to Graf in 1995 and 1996 must have been heartbreakers for her fans, but 4 singles slams are more than 99% of the WTA women ever win. My hat goes off to Espana's #1 lady of all time.

saki
Feb 1st, 2002, 12:18 AM
What I've always found so impressive about Aranxta is that even though she doesn't have the physical attributes that some players have (height, power etc) she made it anyway with her speed and determination. Vamos the Barcelona Bumblebee!

irma
Feb 1st, 2002, 12:29 AM
she was somebody who gave everything, every match, no matter the score, and she always played a lot of tournaments and always came far, she didn`t get tired for some reason:eek: <P>somebody said once if you would count the meters she ran on the tenniscourts, you can go around the earth at least twice:)

wongqks
Feb 1st, 2002, 01:15 AM
I like Arantxa, it just fascinates me that how Arantxa manage to hold her own in the 1994-5 period, you know, but unfortuneately, she probably been unlucky in a sense that she paly best at a time when people were a bit drifted off from tennis because of Monica stabbing, retirement of Martina etc. I think she probably hurt her own case when her play start drifting off when Monica return. But I like to see her play especially in her prime, it is amazing how aggressive she can be as oppose to what many people think

Julian
Feb 1st, 2002, 04:21 AM
On an extensive research, here are Arantxa's achievements from 1990-1993 (early 90's), BTW I was quite amazed:

-Retired in her 1st ever match from injury against Zvereva in Fed Cup (Finalist in Fed Cup)

-Won 2 Singles titles (won 1st grass title), finalist in 5 (4 was against Steffi!)

-Won 4 doubles titles, finalist in 3 (inc. Chase Champ.)

-Won 2nd Grand Slam (mixed)

-Defeats Martina N. for the 1st time (hamburg), 0-5 against Graf for the year

-Defeats Graf in SF at French Open 6-0, 6-2 (Graf's worst defeat since 1984) (Graf's next worst loss came in 1997!)

-Finalist of French Open (singles and mixed), finalist in mixed at Australian Open

-Won Fed Cup

-Won 1 singles title, finalist in 4

-Won 2 doubles titles, finalist in 1

-DID NOT LOSE before the QF's in ANY tournament! :eek: (out of 16 tournaments reached the SF's or better in 13!)

-W/L Record: 60-15!

-Won Bronze and Silver at Barcelona Olympic games

-Won 7 consecutive doubles titles!! :) (9 overall) finalist in 3 (won doubles in Austalian Open and Chase Champ., finalist in dubs at French Open)

-Finalist in Fed Cup to Germany

-Won 2 singles titles, finalist in 6 (won French Open in mixed, finalist in mixed at Australian Open)

-Defeated Monica Seles for the 1st time(Canada)

-only lost before the QF's ONCE in 18 tournaments (reached the SF's or better in 15 tourneys!!) :eek:

-Won Miami title without dropping a set (6 rounds)

-ended the year #2 in the world

-Lost in the SF's of 7 tournaments (out of 18, reached 4 consecutive SF's) 9-7 record in SF's (reached the SF's in 16 of 18 tourneys played), (SF in Aussie, French, and U.S. Open)

-Won 4 singles titles, finalist in 5

-Won 4 doubles titles, finalist in 2 (won U.S. Open)

-competed in 91 singles matches (won 77), the most matches played since 1986 by Navratilova (92)

-tiebreak record 9-6

-Reached the finals of 8 out of 11 consecutive tourneys

-Won Australian Open (mixed)

-W/L record 77-14!

disposablehero
Feb 1st, 2002, 05:52 AM
Arantxa saved women's tennis from 93-95. It would have been painfully boring without her.

BCP
Feb 1st, 2002, 05:59 AM
Irma, I have to disagree. I think Arantxa always gets the credit that she deserves. Everyone recognises that she is a former world number 1, and that she is a great claycourt player, and her many tournament and her federation cup victories.

However, her only grandslam outside of the french was 1 USO when Steffi was injured, and even that went to the wire. Her record against Monica was, and still is poor. I actually think that her career highlight was the Wimbeldon final which she lost against Steffi. I think she really displayed to the world what she was capable of in that final.

I sort of compare her to Hana, who won a similar number of GS. Except I would say tha Hana won 3 of the 4 majors, regularly beat Chris and Martina, and had patches on the tour when she dominated the tour and was clearly the best (ie when she won 5 tournaments on the trott beating Chris and Martina on the way).

Don't get me wrong. I respect Arantxa, but I think she gets her dues...:)