PDA

View Full Version : OMG, there is no power in New York and New Jersey

Cam'ron Giles
Aug 14th, 2003, 09:20 PM
The entire city is currently black out...:eek:

CC
Aug 14th, 2003, 09:24 PM
Every thing just went off for about a second, but it's running now.

Cam'ron Giles
Aug 14th, 2003, 09:25 PM
Not here...we are in complete darkness

andylover_16
Aug 14th, 2003, 09:26 PM
how did this happen?!?:unsure:

CC
Aug 14th, 2003, 09:27 PM
Haha ... watch out for duppy. :lol:
Are you scared? :sad:

Dava
Aug 14th, 2003, 09:28 PM
:eek:

I hope things are okay.

King Satan
Aug 14th, 2003, 09:29 PM
Not here...we are in complete darkness
and you still have power for your pc? :confused:

YSL
Aug 14th, 2003, 09:35 PM
Shite, just seen the news.

Hope all the posters are OK

andylover_16
Aug 14th, 2003, 09:36 PM
ok.......:scratch:.....what caused an entire blackout in a huge city like that?....

YSL
Aug 14th, 2003, 09:37 PM
It's extended to parts of Canada (Toronto and Ottawa). Detroit, Cleveland, most of NYC have no power too.

Lots of ppl trapped in elevators :sad:

All major NYC airports have no power.

YSL
Aug 14th, 2003, 09:38 PM
They think there may be a fire at the electricity plant

Wimanna
also outages in , Cleveland, Ottawa, Detroit ????

King Satan
The Terrorists!!

Knizzle
and you still have power for your pc? :confused:

He is probably on a laptop ;)

decemberlove
Aug 14th, 2003, 09:39 PM
ours was off for a second, nt even full blackout, just like a short brown-out.

but im sure nyc people are frightened and confused.

surely a lil fire at a transformer wouldnt shut off an entire city.

and an explosion on 14th street?

King Satan
Aug 14th, 2003, 09:39 PM
He is probably on a laptop ;)
yes yes, the laptop it is! I wish i had one :sad:

andylover_16
Aug 14th, 2003, 09:44 PM
this is awful.....was it terrorists:help:.....can u imagine being in the dark at a subway....ahhhhhh........:help:

Cam'ron Giles
Aug 14th, 2003, 09:45 PM
No, I am at work and our network has a back emergency generator...:D

Cam'ron Giles
I am kinda confused though...:sad:

decemberlove
^ and all the people in skyscrapers reliving memories almost two years ago

CC
Aug 14th, 2003, 09:46 PM
Omg, I already hate elevators. Can't imagine what I'd do if I got stuck. Good thing we're on the first floor.

Knizzle
Aug 14th, 2003, 09:46 PM
Let's start praying because this sounds too much like a planned thing. This is a possible beginning for a terrorist attack. Are all those people stuck on the subways??

Cam'ron Giles
Aug 14th, 2003, 09:47 PM
Yes, CC...mi fraid a duppy...:eek:

YSL
Aug 14th, 2003, 09:47 PM
They think a powergrid overloaded?

Cariaoke
Aug 14th, 2003, 09:48 PM
ts, do you need some company in your cube? :tape: :o

andylover_16
Aug 14th, 2003, 09:49 PM
omg........i am looking at a picture of new york city and all of the people are out on the street....it is overcrowded.....the traffic is AWFUL!!!:help:

CC
Aug 14th, 2003, 09:51 PM
Yes, CC...mi fraid a duppy...:eek:

Mi fraid a duppy to! :tape:

I don't leave here till 5:30pm. I hope the traffic lights are working. :eek:

andylover_16
Aug 14th, 2003, 09:58 PM
no terrorist attack it said.....but the traffic lights are out!....:unsure:

THE BLACKOUT, which sent thousands of New Yorkers streaming into the streets and briefly knocked television networks off the air, could not be immediately explained. Most of the cities are linked on the same regional power grid, however.
MSNBC TV showed aerial pictures of fires in the Bronx and Brooklyn. CNN reported that a fire had been reported at the Consolidated Edison plant in New York.
The evening rush hour was just beginning, and NBC correspondents described scenes of pandemonium.

Officials of the Homeland Security Department said they had no immediate information on the blackout, which struck cities stretching from Hartford, Conn., and Syracuse, N.Y., west to Detroit and Cleveland and north to northwest Ontario. The entire city of Toronto was affected, MSNBC television reported.
Much of New England, however, including all of Massachusetts, Rhode Island and New Hampshire, southern Vermont and eastern Connecticut, were unaffected.

A major power blackout hit several major cities in the Northeast, the Midwest and Canada late Thursday afternoon, knocking out electricity to millions of people in New York, Toronto, Detroit, Cleveland and elsewhere.

CC
Aug 14th, 2003, 10:12 PM
Okee, I peeked out the window and the one traffic light I can see is working, so there's really no need for me to panic.

Joana
Aug 14th, 2003, 10:16 PM
Relax, people, you'll survive this. I got used to these sitations over the years of living here. :mad:

*Bubbles*
Aug 14th, 2003, 10:19 PM
I'm watching CNBC and the streets of NY are just packed with people and cars - just chaos. I guess people want to get home before it gets dark.

VSFan1 aka Joshua L.
Aug 14th, 2003, 10:20 PM
Power is out in all of New York City, Albany, Erie, Toledo, Cleveland, Detroit, Toronto, and Ottowa. If you can imagine a circle connecting these cities, that is where power is out.

:eek: I hope you all are ok.

*Bubbles*
Aug 14th, 2003, 10:24 PM
apparently the Niagara Mohawk power grid overloaded. That's it according to CNBC at least

Seles_Beckham
Aug 14th, 2003, 10:49 PM
NEW YORK (Reuters) - An overload caused a massive power outage across swaths of the eastern United States and Canada on Thursday, leaving much of New York, Detroit, Toronto and Ottawa without electricity.

"We have no indication that there is any terrorism involved," said Bryan Lee, a spokesman for the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (news - web sites) in Washington.

Power outages were reported in the New York metropolitan area, Detroit and Cleveland as well as in Toronto and Ottawa, starting shortly after 4:00 p.m. EDT (2000 GMT), witnesses said.

The blackout was caused by a failure at a Manhattan power plant that destabilized the power grid as far as Canada, Lee said.

Subways in New York came to a complete halt, leaving thousands of rush-hour commuters stranded underground in the dark. Traffic was at a standstill throughout the city and sidewalks were jammed as commuters headed home on foot.

Power was out at all three of the New York area's major airports. There were no buses or commuter trains running, and cellular telephone service was disrupted.

"Everything is calm in this city. The New York City power grid was not damaged when it shut down, as it should," Mayor Michael Bloomberg said.

The outage struck nerves among New Yorkers, whose memories of the attacks of Sept. 11, 2001, still run strong, and people could be seen running through the streets of the city's downtown financial district toward the East River and Brooklyn Bridge.

"Scared," said Jeffrey Snop, of Queens, at the Times Square subway station. "It reminded me of 9/11 and stuff like that."

Bloomberg urged calm and said the greatest risk to New Yorkers was from overheating without air conditioning.

The high temperature in New York City on Thursday was 92 degrees F (33 degrees Celsius), reported a few hours before the outage occurred.

CONGESTION AND CONFUSION

Times Square was in a state of confusion. The traffic lights were out, and police were directing the rush-hour flow on what is typically one of the most congested spots in the city.

The power outage hit most of the Canadian province of Ontario, shutting major cities including the Canadian capital Ottawa and Toronto.

In Toronto, Canada's largest city, the transit system ground to a halt. But both the Toronto Stock Exchange, the country's main bourse, and Lester Pearson Airport were operating on back-up power supplies.

in Detroit, headquarters to the largest U.S. automakers, many workers decided to go home after the lights suddenly went out, creating traffic gridlock in many streets and highways from the city core.

A wide swath of the city including the downtown headquarters of General Motors Corp appeared to be affected. The outage came on a day predicted to be one of the hottest of the summer.

A spokesman for Montreal's Dorval airport said all flights to blackout cities had been canceled.

Other airports without power included Detroit, Cleveland and Islip, New York, according to Southwest Airlines.

A spokesman for the Homeland Security Department, set up after the Sept. 11 attacks, said they did not know the cause of the power outages and were investigating.

CNN reported an overload of the Niagara Mohawk power grid and outages as far away as Cleveland, Ohio.

The Oyster Creek nuclear power plant in Forked River, New Jersey was not functioning, according to people familiar with the plant's operation

AjdeNate!
Aug 14th, 2003, 10:55 PM
People on the news get soooooo panicky. The power goes out and immediately everyone on the news are crying terrorism. Geez,... just give it a second before you get everyone else all riled up.

Why they gotta do that anyway??

Mase
Aug 14th, 2003, 11:06 PM
Some crazy shit though, hope it gets cut back on soon..

Bacardi
Aug 14th, 2003, 11:12 PM
My poor friend that's there :sad:

Any news links about this? CNN? Anywhere? Hope she's OK!!!!!!

Bacardi
Aug 14th, 2003, 11:16 PM
Anyone know about the power condition down in the Villiage, along the NYU Campus.... do they have power back yet, or is it still out? :help:

SJW
Aug 14th, 2003, 11:24 PM
ive just seen the pictures on Sky News, thats some crazy stuff going on there

SJW
Aug 14th, 2003, 11:26 PM
Cinci and Toronto affected?? oh god what must the players be thinking? "im never coming here again"?!

Mase
Aug 14th, 2003, 11:33 PM
Cinci and Toronto affected?? oh god what must the players be thinking? "im never coming here again"?!

RIGHT?!?!?!

CC
Aug 14th, 2003, 11:38 PM
Well I made it home. I hope Topshotta is ok. My area is safe it looks like.:)

Cam'ron Giles
Aug 15th, 2003, 02:30 AM
OMG, I made it home...I live on the ninth floor of a 23 story building and had to walk upstairs...hot sweety and tired after fighting my way on to the ferry to make it out of Manhattan...then get the dog and walk back down then up the stairs then back down to get something to eat...:mad: the power just came back to my building...but NYC is still out..You know what, on the ferry heading home, it felt like Sept 11th...I will never forget that day...BUT I AM HOME...:bounce:

Sam L
Aug 15th, 2003, 02:33 AM
I hope you guys get power back real soon...

Renee Zellweger recently moved to New York, I don't know why. :confused:

Rocketta
Aug 15th, 2003, 02:41 AM
Hope the power comes on.

I was living in Brooklyn in '77 or '76 whatever year they had the great Black-out. I was 7 and I still remember it. We were outside, it was night, it was summer. Then blackness! I cried and cried. Luckily, my sisters were outside too. We were not allowed to walk up the stairs cause we lived in the ghetto and stairwells are dangerous. I was so scared going up those stairs but luckily my dad and pierre(our German Shepard) came down and got us.

There was a lot of looting and later that night some guy had broke into a jewlery store and the police chased him down our block. You should've seen the people the next morning out there, including my dad :lol:, looking to see if he dropped any jewlery. They were looking under all the cars and stuff. :o

Bacardi
Aug 15th, 2003, 02:50 AM
Glad you are home TopShotta :wavey:

I'm probably moving to NYC in a few months... I've been considering it now for weeks. I have a few friends there, all of which in the Greenwich Village around the NYU campus. So I hope to be hearing from them all soon, as I'm really worried about them... Nearly as much as I was on the morning of Sept 11th and I arrived at my college to the horrible news and had difficulty calling them all. :sad:

I hope no looting goes on tonight. Maybe it will stay peaceful, but you know how some people are. What I don't get is all those morons burning tires and such in some of the streets. It's already hot, do they really want to fuel the heat that much more? :mad:

YSL
Aug 15th, 2003, 02:53 AM
Good to hear you made it home OK TopShotta.

Am just seeing the pics of NYC in darkness. Scary for all that are there. I hope that the power comes back on VERY soon for all affected.

YSL
Aug 15th, 2003, 05:06 AM
Just thought I'd share this little gem with you all ;)

http://www.lovelyse.cx/give_me_the_code.jpg

Crazy Canuck
Aug 15th, 2003, 07:50 AM
I'm sure that's how they feel about coming to Toronto anyways :D

My power was out for about ten hours. Boo.

Venus Forever
Aug 15th, 2003, 09:21 AM
We're getting back here slowly in New York City.

My power just clicked on 35 minutes ago at 3:50 in the morning.

TWELVE hours of complete darkness.

And, whoever has power is seeing the entire city in the dark on the news. There's just sections of he city with lights, then it's black, then more lights. It's just very strange.

Very strange indeed, but I have lights, as of now. Guarantee I won't later, it'll probably go out.

SJW
Aug 15th, 2003, 11:12 AM
Hope the power comes on.

I was living in Brooklyn in '77 or '76 whatever year they had the great Black-out. I was 7 and I still remember it. We were outside, it was night, it was summer. Then blackness! I cried and cried. Luckily, my sisters were outside too. We were not allowed to walk up the stairs cause we lived in the ghetto and stairwells are dangerous. I was so scared going up those stairs but luckily my dad and pierre(our German Shepard) came down and got us.

There was a lot of looting and later that night some guy had broke into a jewlery store and the police chased him down our block. You should've seen the people the next morning out there, including my dad :lol:, looking to see if he dropped any jewlery. They were looking under all the cars and stuff. :o

LOL@ur dad! :lol:

i heard on the news it was '77

SJW
Aug 15th, 2003, 11:12 AM
I'm sure that's how they feel about coming to Toronto anyways :D

My power was out for about ten hours. Boo.

nawwwww Toronto is the coolest place to a foreigner :D

decemberlove
Aug 15th, 2003, 01:18 PM
everybody loves t-dot :)

Bacardi
Aug 15th, 2003, 01:59 PM
ARGH!!!!! This mess still isn't fixed! And leave it to the shitty politicians saying "it will be resolved in a few hours", and then the Governor of NY saying "Power will be restored to Metro NY by 1am".... 1am passes, pifffff nothing, then an hour later newsflash "Governor says power not likely to be restored by 1am" DUH! I feel sorry for the people in these places, during all this, it's one time you really don't want to be lied to by the politicians... But they still lie. :rolleyes: It's best if you don't really know when the problem to be fixed to just say.... "I don't know" instead of saying a short time, or by a time that you know ain't gonna happen. Once again, more Bush votes going down the drain. I bet the people in NYC will tell you how 'quickly' this was resolved Bushy while you were lounging in CA. :p :mad:

splat
Aug 15th, 2003, 03:06 PM
Our whole province (Ontario) was almost completely blacked out. It's funny, all our radios were saying it was something that happened in the US. And the American radios and the New York Governor Pataki were all saying it happened in Canada :).

cyberix
Aug 15th, 2003, 03:18 PM
Here is an explanation for what is happening and why a power grid cannot be restaured quickly. NewYork, Cleveland, Toronto,... are part of one power system. They are supplied in power by generating plants in that system and by power imported from other systems (Quebec is a major exporter). The nature of electrical systems is such that demand must always be met by supply. If it doesn't computers will automatically shed load. Now think of an electrical system in the following terms: think of a number of weights (demand) hanging from a number of interconnected rubber bands (power lines) from a board. When demand increases (man, it is hot!) the weights become heavier and the rubber bands stretch more and more. Suppose you have a defect in one of the bands and it snaps; all the other bands stretch even more, but if they were close to their limit another band will snap, making the situation even worse, and then another, etc... (the cascade effect). When a generating plant loses its load abruptly it has to shut down. This takes time and to bring it back on line takes even more time.
You can blame the politicians but we are also partly to blame. Very few new plants and power lines have been build in the last 10 or 20 years. Public opinion has switched against building new nuclear and large thermal plants and even building a new power line is very time consuming. This is why power systems are running with little spare reserve and we should expect more and more of these situations.

Bacardi
Aug 15th, 2003, 03:35 PM
Yes it is funny, nearly an hour after it happened the Canadian officials were saying it definately happened on the US side of things. Something about a lightning strike. But what's really stupid, is the fact there wasn't any lightning over the area they are trying to claim it happened. We know it was you Canadians.... Someone got lazy waiting on hockey season up there and forgot to hit the big red button. 'Just Kidding' ;) :D :lol: :p