PDA

View Full Version : A heads-up for Astronomy fans - Mars to be its closest to Earth in 60,000 years!

Sam L
Aug 14th, 2003, 12:49 AM
Mars will be its closest in 60 millennia on Aug. 27th

(Los Angeles-AP) Aug. 13, 2003 - This month Mars will be nearer to Earth than at any time in nearly 60,000 years. The next time the Red Planet will be this close will be August 28th, 2287.

This August 27th Mars will be roughly 35 million miles away. Just six months ago it was five times that distance.

The fourth rock from the sun is already looming large in the late evening sky with its rusty-colored twinkle in the southeast. During the next several weeks Mars will shine brighter than any other nighttime celestial body except for the moon and Venus.

The closest approach will be on August 27th at 5:51am Eastern Daylight Time. Planetariums around the world are planning Mars-gazing parties beginning the evening of August 26th.

-------------

Hopefully the skies will be clear for me. This is such a significant event. Furthermore, to think that the last time that Mars came this close was probably when our ancestors were still in their early evolutionary stages. :worship:

*JR*
Aug 14th, 2003, 12:59 AM
A comment from Paul McCartney: Sitting in the stand of the sports arena
Waiting for the show to begin
Red lights, green lights, strawberry wine
A good friend of mine, follow the stars
Venus and Mars
Are alright tonight

JoeyWinson3.0
Aug 14th, 2003, 01:06 AM
This means eventually it will collide with us... lets hope it's made of Chocolate, Malt, Caramel and Nougat, like its namesake (the bar... geddit?)

Tarsius
Aug 14th, 2003, 01:12 AM
Very interesting. Who knows if the human race will not have self-destructed yet the next time this comes around? We might be the only generation who will ever get to appreciate this. :)

Sam L
Aug 14th, 2003, 11:48 PM
Very interesting. Who knows if the human race will not have self-destructed yet the next time this comes around? We might be the only generation who will ever get to appreciate this. :)
Hopefully not, 2287 is not too far away. :eek:

Tarsius
Aug 15th, 2003, 12:20 AM
200++ years? At the rate we're going? I sincerely hope so. :angel:

Rocketta
Aug 15th, 2003, 12:53 AM
Yes I've heard this too! I want to see it but it has been cloudy and rainy every FREAKING day here. :(

I also need a telescope and don't get paid until 31rst. I've already blew my monthly "Blow" money. :angel: So I hear you can see it with the naked eye but I want a telescope. :o