PDA

View Full Version : Any suggestions for migraine headaches?

G_Catarino79
Aug 13th, 2003, 05:01 AM
I get them killer all the time and all I can do is put ice on the forehead and close my eyes and try to sleep it off.

Is there any way to avoid/help this problem?! It would be very much appreciated

Venus Forever
Aug 13th, 2003, 05:16 AM
Welcome to the club. :wavey:

Normally, I get them when I am stressed out.

As soon as you feel one coming on, however slight it is, take a Motrin Migraine Pain pill. I find that they help me with my own.

Otherwise, as you said, just lay down, turn the tv, computer, whatever, off, and just relax. Taking naps always helps me.

Sometimes I get them when I'm hungry, so, maybe eat something. ;)

But, Motrin Migraine Pain helps me a lot. :D

G_Catarino79
Aug 13th, 2003, 05:20 AM
Thanks for the advice... I usually get them when stressed as well-- which means at work. That's the absolute worst.

I need to stock up on this Motrin Migraine pill :)

BigB08822
Aug 13th, 2003, 08:16 AM
I think you should go to the Dr. I know it sounds so stupid to go to the Dr. for a headache but there is stuff they can prescribe you to really help when you feel a migraine coming on.

As matter of fact, last time I was in the Dr. they had a poster on the wall advertising a medicine for migraines.

King Satan
Aug 13th, 2003, 08:29 AM
forget all these stupid pills........do what venus forever said. Turn off all this crap (tv, pc......) and lay down. make sure you eat, cos if you don't, you'll probably get headaches.........just relax.

what i do is, i go to the bathroom, turn on all the water, sit down, and listen to a lil radio i have. then it goes away :)

WtaTour4Ever
Aug 13th, 2003, 09:07 AM
Excedrin works for me...its kinda slow though. Also Benadryl Cold and Sinus.

Also take something as soon as you remotely think you are going to get one, if you wait, they take forever to go away.

G_Catarino79
Aug 13th, 2003, 04:28 PM
Thanks for all the tips... migraines have to be one of the more annoying things there is

Dava
Aug 13th, 2003, 04:35 PM
Sleep is the only answer! I get them all time, and I go to bed. Looking at your computer wont help.

Kart
Aug 13th, 2003, 04:40 PM
Sit in a dark room.

griffin
Aug 13th, 2003, 04:42 PM
It's easy to say "forget the stupid pills" when you have the option of tuning out for awhile (and you enjoy pain).

But for when mitigation isn't enough, or isn't an option (I find being in a cool, quite, dark room with a cold cloth on my head helps, as does making sure nothing is putting pressure on my neck. no idea why that makes a difference), I'm a big fan of imitrex. In fact, were I to meet its inventor(s), I'd kiss them. Repeatedly.

Imitrex can take me from near-disabled (I've gotten them at work and not gone home because the idea of being on the subway was more than I could bear) to functional in 30 minutes, and almost back to normal in an hour. I am not a pill-popper by nature, and I did resist the idea or resorting to drugs for awhile. But why suffer when you don't have to?

It does require a prescription and it doesn't work for everyone, but it is definitely worth a visit to the doctor (something I also hate). Hell, you want to take a nap as part of your anti-migraine ritual, then take a nap - but take something first so it'll be a nice nap.

Rocketta
Aug 13th, 2003, 05:03 PM
Also, Caffine helps a lot. If you waited too long to take something (of course only liquid gels cause they work the fastest) and drink a really strong cup of coffee while you wait for the pills (that's right plural I've been known to take 3 or more, now I have a prescription for 600 and 800 ibuprophen so I don't have to) and of course eat. :)