PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here seen Donnie Darko?

fried_beans
Aug 12th, 2003, 04:13 PM
I just watched it and it was amazing. I think I need to watch it again to completely get it but what are you guys thoughts? I don't really understand the ending so couild someone explain... Man that movie is gonna have me thinking for hours.

gg
Aug 12th, 2003, 04:51 PM
SPOILERS COMING!!!!!!don't read if you intend seeing the movie and you should.

It has that effect on everybody!!! I thought I had finally got some kind of handle on it. Then I read a little about the director talking about parallel universes and also everybody interpreting in their own way. My understanding is that he travels through a wormhole in time to allow himself to be killed by the jet engine that missed killing him at the start. That way he changes some of the events that follow.

GBFH
Aug 12th, 2003, 04:58 PM
hey guys....what's a fuckass? :p

Rocketta
Aug 12th, 2003, 09:08 PM
I didn't get it. :retard:

decemberlove
Aug 12th, 2003, 09:55 PM
i have but i came in late and i didnt pay much attention.

Mrs. Peel
Aug 12th, 2003, 10:41 PM
I watched it and I totally was perplexed because I didn't GET it. lol I think I made the mistake watching it stoned..but that never has been a problem for me before :confused:

DutchieGirl
Aug 13th, 2003, 03:53 AM
I watched it, and I understood it - but I didn't think it was that good a movie!

fried_beans
Aug 13th, 2003, 02:21 PM
I didn't get it. :retard:

Don't worry about it, I don't think many people did. I don't really get it.

Someone explain it, I wanna see if my interpretation is right! :)

DunkMachine
Aug 13th, 2003, 02:46 PM
I just watched it and it was amazing. I think I need to watch it again to completely get it but what are you guys thoughts? I don't really understand the ending so couild someone explain... Man that movie is gonna have me thinking for hours.

Yea that movie got me thinking for hours. Thinking about what in the fuck posessed me to even go and watch it.

fried_beans
Aug 13th, 2003, 08:32 PM
lol ... it was great...for those who like to be challenged mentally and prefer thoughtufl plots rather than guns and explosions.

DunkMachine
Aug 13th, 2003, 09:11 PM
lol ... it was great...for those who like to be challenged mentally and prefer thoughtufl plots rather than guns and explosions.

Fuck that I like guns and explosions. Besides this movie is for those who wish to become mentally challenged because it was BULSHIIIIIIIIIT.

Mrs. Peel
Aug 13th, 2003, 09:32 PM
I watched it, and I understood it - but I didn't think it was that good a movie!

Please enlighten us then...

hitman
Aug 13th, 2003, 10:45 PM
I downloaded it, so I could watch it again. I just did it once, though, and I think I got it.

Its not a movie you can explain very well, though. I mean, what would be the interest in contemplating a Kandinsky if he was to say exactly what was in his paintings?

ASV_FAN
Aug 14th, 2003, 11:58 PM
With a film like this isn't the whole point that you make your own interpretation and therefore nothing ix really wrong as long as you can back it up? At least that's what I think. I thought this movie was brilliant, best I've seen this year along with "The Ring."

Rocketta
Aug 15th, 2003, 12:14 AM
yeah but nobody will explain it in their words? Is a movie really good when you can't even explain in your own words?

Cassius
Aug 15th, 2003, 12:16 AM
Donnie Darko = Brilliant movie + a future cult classic.

The Ring = Mediocre horror + and almost totally forgetable.

XaDavK_Kapri
Aug 15th, 2003, 01:50 AM
Donnie Darko = Brilliant movie + a future cult classic.

The Ring = Mediocre horror + and almost totally forgetable.
I totally agree! I can't understand why everyone LOVED the Ring. Anyways. Donnie Darko was probably one of the movies that troubled me the most. It was a beautiful movie, well written with great performances. It was very very touching and takes you completely into its atmosphere. Another movie a little bit like this but with less science-fiction is "Storytelling". Awesome movie too.

fried_beans
Aug 15th, 2003, 10:11 PM
Why does something have to be explained to be good? Life can't be explained

veryborednow
Aug 15th, 2003, 10:58 PM
Love the film (obviously). Hated The Ring (obviously)

The best explanation - and the one I go along with - Someone came up with this: irnbru1970@yahoo.com It stems from the "Donnie Darko" sounding like a superhero's name, Donnie saves the world, however, he is not your typical superhero.

It is all explained here…

http://www.tangent-universe.org/time-travel.html

after reading this it all makes perfect sense…

Donnie is the Living Receiver

Frank is the manipulated dead

The artifact is the jet engine

The manipulated living are those around Donnie

Donnie was living in a Tangent Universe

The real world would have ended if Frank had not made Donnie put the engine back into the real world

Those who were affected by the Tangent Universe, have awoke from a dream like state- some have the memories lingering within their mind, others forget them…

Donnie saved the world, by destroying himself, for those that he loved.

Fantastic…

Rocketta
Aug 15th, 2003, 11:43 PM
Why does something have to be explained to be good? Life can't be explained

Because if you can't explain it then how do we know it's good? Just cause you enjoyed it? That doesn't make something good that just means you enjoyed it.

Rocketta
Aug 15th, 2003, 11:45 PM
Love the film (obviously). Hated The Ring (obviously)

The best explanation - and the one I go along with - Someone came up with this: irnbru1970@yahoo.com It stems from the "Donnie Darko" sounding like a superhero's name, Donnie saves the world, however, he is not your typical superhero.

It is all explained here…

after reading this it all makes perfect sense…

Donnie is the Living Receiver

Frank is the manipulated dead

The artifact is the jet engine

The manipulated living are those around Donnie

Donnie was living in a Tangent Universe

The real world would have ended if Frank had not made Donnie put the engine back into the real world

Those who were affected by the Tangent Universe, have awoke from a dream like state- some have the memories lingering within their mind, others forget them…

Donnie saved the world, by destroying himself, for those that he loved.

Fantastic…

Thanks I'll take a look at these.

hitman
Aug 16th, 2003, 04:09 AM
Because if you can't explain it then how do we know it's good? Just cause you enjoyed it? That doesn't make something good that just means you enjoyed it.

Well, I dont know for the others, but I know what I meant with the "unexplainable" part. ;)

What I mean is, if you read the lyrics to a very good song, you can see it in so many ways that it only makes it the more rich when the singer never tells you what he trully meant.
I mean, the good things about Donnie Darko are the way the plot develops, the suspense you are put under for all the 2 hours or more (all of the minutes I got myself in the edge of the seat), the way you spend hours wondering about the film after its over, and so on.
I dont know about all the others, but for me, a film cant finish in the minute I leave the cinema. I like to think about it, but I wont do it about something stupid (ie. The Ring) or too obvious (ie. Titanic, where everyone knew the fucking ship would sink but it took FOREVER to get there :p)

For me, the explanation in that little sumary posted makes sense, but by no means it was exactly what I had in mind.

Rocketta
Aug 16th, 2003, 06:03 AM
Well, I dont know for the others, but I know what I meant with the "unexplainable" part. ;)

What I mean is, if you read the lyrics to a very good song, you can see it in so many ways that it only makes it the more rich when the singer never tells you what he trully meant.
I mean, the good things about Donnie Darko are the way the plot develops, the suspense you are put under for all the 2 hours or more (all of the minutes I got myself in the edge of the seat), the way you spend hours wondering about the film after its over, and so on.
I dont know about all the others, but for me, a film cant finish in the minute I leave the cinema. I like to think about it, but I wont do it about something stupid (ie. The Ring) or too obvious (ie. Titanic, where everyone knew the fucking ship would sink but it took FOREVER to get there :p)

For me, the explanation in that little sumary posted makes sense, but by no means it was exactly what I had in mind.

Thanks for this explanation. I mean by my statement. If a movie makes you think but you never are able to put what it meant in your own words then maybe it didnt' really say anything? That's why I say if you can't explain it (meaning what you thought happened) how do we know its good. It could be so convuluted you can't explain it. For the record I saw it. It didn't stay with me for long. I don't think I understand the ending because to me the ending wasn't that good and since everyone is saying the movie was good I figured maybe I just didn't get the ending hence I was asking for someone to put it in their words what happened in the movie.<Was that sentence run-on enough for you? ;) >

Rocketta
Aug 16th, 2003, 06:06 AM
well based on this thread I will actually watch the movie again during my first opportunity. :)

Experimentee
Aug 16th, 2003, 05:26 PM
I thought it sucked. I'm not really normally into sci fi maybe thats why. I read all that stuff about the tangent universe long ago and it did make some sense to me after that but theres still lots of holes in the plot. Anyway i dont think you should have to go looking up a whole lot of stuff in order to understand a movie, it should all be able to be explained without any extraneous sources.

fried_beans
Nov 20th, 2004, 02:03 PM
Well, I just bought the movie and I still notice new twists when I watch it. A sign of a bad screenplay is when there needs to be narraration or everyhting has to be explained. I guess this film was directed towards a more intellectual audience ..though I odnt consider myself that smart I caught on pretty quickly to what was meant.

decemberlove
Nov 20th, 2004, 03:10 PM
i have but i came in late and i didnt pay much attention.

ha. how things have changed without the weed.