PDA

View Full Version : Best Chris vs Martina match Ever!!!!

Philbo
Jan 31st, 2002, 09:18 AM
With all these golden days threads doing the rounds at the moment (its been ages since the boards were this much fun!!)

ive decided to do a poll on what Chrissie v Martina match they thought was the best..

I wish you could vote for 3..narrowing it to one is so hard!!!

If you like, you can put your top 3 choices, and I will tally the results, with your top choice getting 3 points, 2nd choice 2 points etc...

I have limited the choices to grand slam matches only...so their classic eastbourne matches arent included!!

BCP
Jan 31st, 2002, 09:46 AM
Excellent thread Czechfan! Guess which one I voted for ;) As an Evert fan, how could I not!

Leaving the Eastbourne finals in would have been fun......

BCP
Jan 31st, 2002, 09:47 AM
BTW, for the record, my other two favs are the 82 AO final, and the 87 Wimbeldon SF

Philbo
Jan 31st, 2002, 09:54 AM
LOL @ BCP...

Oh that match was a heartbreaker!!!

Then again, 85 86 and 87 were heartbreaking for Martina at the French...

But the 85 was the best! Martina had Chris at 0-40 at 5-5 in the 3rd!!!! Alas she didnt convert, then lost the match to a screamer of a backhand down the line from Chris!!!

Evert did soooooo well to beleive in herself enough to win this one...Martina was fairly dominant in their rivalry, and Chris lost her nerve at 5-3 in the 2nd when serving for it...

But she did well to recoup in the 3rd...

Silly Martina - Tried to play toooo defensively and was rallying too much with Chris from the back...Should have come to net sooner and more often!!!

BCP
Jan 31st, 2002, 10:00 AM
totally agree. I almost cried when Chrisa went down 0-40 in that game. To come so close, and not being able to close it out on clay would have devastated her for years I think. That USO in 84 was a heartbreaker for her, and I thought OMG, its going to happen again.

Czechfan, I think Chris broke her string of 13 straight losses in early 85 with a 6-2 6-4 win, but Martina came back at her the next week (/), and beat Chris by the same score.

Which was the Wimbeldon semi that ended in a close call against Chris on match point. It was that one that I meant to include in my top 3. I think it was 87. I remeber 2 amazing points from Martina in that one. One where Chris hit a drop shot. Martina was WAY behind the baseline, and run and hit an amazing down the line forehand. She ended up on the other side of the court. And another amazing rally where chris smashed into the open court, and Martina ran it down, and hit a forehand passing shot. Even Martina couldn't believe that she made that shot!

Philbo
Jan 31st, 2002, 10:16 AM
I know that shot off Chris's smash!!! I remember it clearly!!! It was like "Oh bullshit, how the hell did that happen"???

I think the controversy happened was actually 1988, but I could be wrong..Its hard to separate those two matches after so many years...Time to get the tape out!!!

Rollo or Zummi... Help us with that one!!!

Im 70% certain it was 88????

BCP
Jan 31st, 2002, 10:18 AM
If it was 88, then I meant 88. I always get those two matches confused... old age I think.......

Rollo
Jan 31st, 2002, 12:51 PM
Quality- wise the 85 French was a bit scratchy(it was very windy and Martina was hitting short that day), but for excitement you couldn't beat it. My favoritite point in that crazy 0-40 game is the one where Evert and Navratilova are both at the net smacking reflex voleys at one another. Evert won it and the crowd roared with delight. As Martina said, "9 times out of 10 I win that type of point".

My vote goes to the 1981 Us Open because it was a "neutral" surface, the quality was tops, and it was so damn close! I wanted Martina to win the final SOOOO bad at the time :sad:

saki
Jan 31st, 2002, 04:29 PM
Argh, I can't choose 3! Can I choose 12? ;)

BCP
Feb 1st, 2002, 05:31 AM
Bumpety bump bump...up you go!

Philbo
Feb 1st, 2002, 05:31 AM
I voted for the 1978 WImbledon final, but deep down my fave match is the 1984 French FInal, where Martina whipped Evert 3 and 1 on 'her surface'....

It also gave Martina the GRAND SLAM... Way etc can come in and argue that, but at the time Martina picked up $1million for it, so it was REAL back then at least!!!

But I voted for the 78 Wimbledon final above... I just got the tape out last night, and its hilarious!!!

martina played awfully and very nervous in the first set...

In the 2nd a few things happened that jsut NEVER happen these days..

1) Maritna was at net, and Chris hit the ball str8 at Martina and it hit her in the stomach... Chris and Martina sort of both met at the net, and Chrissie apologised and reached over and ruffles Martina's hair like you would to a small child!!!

Imagine Martina or Venus leaning over and running their hand through each others hair!!!!

2) Martina is at net and Chris hits a very low lob and Martina is right on top of it, she goes to smash it and completely misses it!!! years later Martina named this as one of her most embarrassingmoments!!!

3) During the 2nd set, they ae rallying from the baseline, and a deep shot from Chrissie that was in, gets called out...

Both players pause, both knowing its a bad call, the umpire has already called the score, but Martina tells him Chrissies shot was in, so the umpire then gives Chris the point!!! But Martina had aplay on the ball, so it should have been a let!!!

Both players look at the umpire like he is on drugs, and both come to net, and jsut start working out what the score etc should be - ignoring the umpire saying "ladies, ladies please"...hehe the crowd cracked up!!!!

People use to say Martina argued a lot of calls, but they forge that often she was arguing FOR her opponent, giving points away!!!!!!!

Plus this match is special cuz it was Martina's first Wimbledon....

tennisvideos
Feb 1st, 2002, 06:31 AM
You have to include the 78 & 79 Eastbourne Finals. They were fantastic as well.

My fave would have to be the 85 French Final, but there were so many great clashes it is tough to pick just one.

BCP
Feb 1st, 2002, 06:43 AM
Czechfan:eek: I am outraged that you would pick the '84 FO final as your favourite!:p ;)