PDA

View Full Version : TOP: Supporting Lindsay At The US Open

Jan
Aug 11th, 2003, 02:24 PM
:worship:

Lets wish Lindsay Good Luck in the last Grand Slam of 2003.
Come on Lindsay, make this one "Truly Memorable" - You have a good chance here - So Lets Go.
:bounce: :wavey: :bounce: :wavey: :cool:

jacs
Aug 12th, 2003, 02:24 AM
Come On Lindsay!

Jan
Aug 12th, 2003, 07:24 AM
Good to see you in the thread jacs

Lets Go Lindsay
Give it your best :worship: :wavey: :cool:

Toontje
Aug 12th, 2003, 10:12 PM
Come on Lindsay....you can do it!

:worship: :worship: :worship:

:bigclap: :bigclap: :bigclap:

Jan
Aug 13th, 2003, 07:26 AM
TIME TO PICK UP THE TROPHY AGAIN LINDSAY
GO GO GO

QUEENLINDSAY
Aug 13th, 2003, 03:09 PM
GO LINDSAY!!!!
Get your confidence back!!!! You know you can beat anyone there!!!!! Just play your game.

Jan
Aug 14th, 2003, 06:56 AM
WE WILL BE SO PROUD OF YOU LINDSAY
WHEN YOU HOLD THAT TROPHY SO HIGH (AGAIN)
:worship: :D :worship: :cool: :worship: :) :worship: :wavey:

Jan
Aug 15th, 2003, 10:40 AM
STILL HERE CHEERING LINDSAY ON
LETS GO :worship:

LUXXXAS
Aug 16th, 2003, 05:04 AM
Go Lindsay-BELIEVE IN YOURSELF AND THE TITLE WILL BE YOURS-ITS QUITE SIMPLE!!!:bounce::kiss::hearts:

Jan
Aug 18th, 2003, 04:44 PM
Go Lindsay-BELIEVE IN YOURSELF AND THE TITLE WILL BE YOURS-ITS QUITE SIMPLE!!!:bounce::kiss::hearts:

AGREED - LINDSAY THIS TITLE COULD BE YOURS

jacs
Aug 18th, 2003, 11:37 PM
Seeded Three!

Go Lindsay!

pReUrBrIyN
Aug 19th, 2003, 04:35 AM
No chance! Sorry to disappoint ya!

Jan
Aug 19th, 2003, 07:08 AM
WELL THIS THREAD IS FOR SUPPORTING LINDSAY SO I SUGGEST THAT ANYONE WHO DOES NOT SUPPORT HER KEEPS OUT OF HERE!!

GO LINDSAY - NO 3 SEED -HIGHEST SEEDED AMERICAN AFTER THE BELGIANS.

bis2806
Aug 19th, 2003, 01:33 PM
woohoooo!!!! Go Lindsay!!! :D please give it your BEST shot :hearts:

rightous
Aug 19th, 2003, 03:21 PM
I really hope that Lindsay can win, I don't know if she will have a better chance, hopefully Kim stays out of her quarter:)

C'MON LINDSAY:)

Jan
Aug 20th, 2003, 07:14 AM
Lets Go Lindsay
I agree - best if she is not in Kim's part of the draw :worship:

Lindsayfan
Aug 20th, 2003, 12:26 PM
Jan,dont care about stupid ppl who post here just to annoy us...he doesnt deserve attention,just ignore him :rolleyes:

Quote of the Week from WTA Tour site

“It would be like a dream. It would be great to be able to add another one this late in my career, especially there in New York where I played my first Grand Slam and won my first Grand Slam. It would be great to accomplish that. “

-Lindsay Davenport, August 18, 2003

QUEENLINDSAY
Aug 20th, 2003, 07:30 PM
I love the quote!!!!!!
OMG!!!! Lindsay wants this US Open badly!!!!!!
She is in Kim's half, I hope she know now how to beat Kim, GS is different she was not beaten in any granslam except a player named williams.

bis2806
Aug 20th, 2003, 07:33 PM
oh please Lindsay please please please win this!!!!!

Jan
Aug 21st, 2003, 07:37 AM
Not a bad draw I would have thought apart from getting Kim in the semis. Rubin may be tough but she beat her quite easily last time they played which was not so long ago.
Come on Lindsay - YOU CAN WIN THIS :worship:
:cool: :bounce: :wavey:

shirley
Aug 21st, 2003, 05:22 PM
http://www.smilies.nl/bounce/2.gifGood Luck Lindsay!http://www.smilies.nl/bounce/2.gif

Jan
Aug 22nd, 2003, 07:15 AM
My last post in here before I go off line to watch the US Open on TV.

GO GO GO LINDSAY - THIS TITLE CAN BE YOURS.

Lindsayfan
Aug 24th, 2003, 01:46 PM
guys,Lindsay needs all our support..now more than ever!so plz cheer for her here! :bounce:

Plz Lindsay play at Us Open and try to do your best! :smooch:

señor x
Aug 24th, 2003, 01:50 PM
Vamos Lindsay the queen hard!
Vamos Conchita the queen clay!

bmxbandit
Aug 24th, 2003, 01:53 PM
Come on Lindsay!

QUEENLINDSAY
Aug 24th, 2003, 05:12 PM
Come on Lindsay!!!!!
I pray your toes will be fine!!!!
Win the OPEN!!!!whatever it takes!!!!!!

QUEENLINDSAY
Aug 24th, 2003, 08:06 PM
Lindsay will play late afternoon Tomorrow.

Lindsayfan
Aug 25th, 2003, 07:43 AM
our LIndsay is gonna playing even tho her toe isnt ok.let's support her,guys! :yeah:

COME ON LINDSAY!! BEAT THE PAIN AND WIN UR MATCH! :worship:

darkchild
Aug 25th, 2003, 09:05 AM
Go Lindsay!Get the trophy! :)
I think if Lindsay's foot could heal,she have a pretty good chance!
Come on,Lindsay! :bounce:

LindsayRulez
Aug 25th, 2003, 11:52 AM
C'mon Lindsay, may that cortisone pull you through the next two weeks! And I mean a complete 2 weeks, all the way to the championship!

Andrew.
Aug 25th, 2003, 06:32 PM
I hope Lindsay's foot is better and she can win this thing! Take Kim while she's down! :devil: I know you can do it Lindsay! :wavey:

QUEENLINDSAY
Aug 25th, 2003, 06:42 PM
GO Lindsay!!!!!
God Bless your toe!!!!!!

LUXXXAS
Aug 25th, 2003, 07:42 PM
Lindsay beat Callens 6-1;6-0:eek::woohoo::eek::hearts::yeah::kiss::yippee: :bounce:

LUXXXAS
Aug 25th, 2003, 07:44 PM
anybody has seen that match?was Lindsay injured?limping?What about her play?

bh440
Aug 25th, 2003, 07:59 PM
There was some slight limping, nothing looked too serious, but she played well, and looked great in her smashing new red outfit. ;)

QUEENLINDSAY
Aug 25th, 2003, 08:18 PM
She played good but her movement is still not 100%. Maybe she is saving it for bigger or tighter matches.

OH YEAH!!!!!!!!!! she is so gorgeous in her new red outfit!!!!! I LOVE IT!!

Nikki
Aug 25th, 2003, 08:47 PM
Congrats Lindsay:bounce:

Tompier
Aug 25th, 2003, 08:56 PM
:bounce: LINDSAY :bounce:
I WISH YOU ALL THE BEST IN US OPEN

I realy LoVe Mary but you are great champion :worship:
I wish I had seen your quaterfinal against Mary in 1999. :sad: :sad:
GOOD LUCK

RayRob
Aug 25th, 2003, 10:43 PM
Here's Lindsay's (really funny) :lol: press conference - it is a shortened version than the actual transcript - (you need RealOne player) http://census.usopen.org/rc/click/mfile.akamai.com/8589/rm/ibmusopen.download.akamai.com/8589/2003/interviews/int_082508_l.ram

I love where she talks about the shot she had in her foot, "It was some kind of steroid antiinflammatory - legal!" :lol: then she laughed. There were a couple of amusing parts.

Here's the transcript:

MODERATOR: Questions for Lindsay, please.

Q. Kind of a nice way to come back from what happened in New Haven.

LINDSAY DAVENPORT: Yeah, I was really, like, relieved when the match was over and was extremely nervous beforehand just trying to figure out how my foot was gonna be and if it would be okay. And then to be able to get through and get through pretty quickly, hopefully will help me in the long run.

Q. How was it going into this Open without either Williams sister present? Do you enter it with, you know, kind of, "They're gone right now," and maybe a better opportunity for you?

LINDSAY DAVENPORT: I think right now I'm just more worried about my health and how it's gonna be on a day-to-day level. I think maybe if I didn't have my foot and I was 100 percent, I would be a little bit more eager, excited, maybe thinking about that more.

But at this point, the latter rounds have not even begun to cross my mind, and that's really the only -- when I would play them.

So maybe in -- if it was a different time, it would be maybe a little bit more into them not being there, but right now it's not really affecting me.

Q. Can you take us through the last few days since New Haven?

LINDSAY DAVENPORT: Yeah. Well, as soon as I was done in New Haven, I actually drove here and saw the doctors here on Saturday afternoon, and they gave me another shot on Saturday.

Q. Cortisone?

LINDSAY DAVENPORT: They could probably tell you exactly what it was. It was some kind of steroid antiinflammatory, legal (laughing). I'm not exactly sure if it was Cortisone or whatever.

Then was pretty much just resting my foot and didn't do anything yesterday, just trying to let the Cortisone settle, settle my foot down. That was about it.

Q. Do you feel pain today? How is it?

LINDSAY DAVENPORT: A little bit. I mean, it's just, you know, there a little bit. But, you know, I've had my third shot in like, you know, eight weeks, so that's about all I can do for it now, and just gonna go from here and do the best I can now.

Q. What about mentally the last few days? What was that like? Did you think you would play down here?

LINDSAY DAVENPORT: Yeah, it's hard. I mean, I felt extremely bad for everyone involved on Saturday, Jennifer included, the crowd included, you know, everybody. Was just -- you know, you always feel so bad when something like that happens, in a final no less.

And then I was anxious getting here. You know, got the shot. That's never fun to go through. Then yesterday it was just trying to just recover and get ready to play.

Today, I was extremely nervous and kind of edgy and trying to go out there, if it's gonna hurt, will it be okay? It's kind of a weird feeling not knowing. So relieved that the first round is over.

Q. Did you (inaudible) a later start?

LINDSAY DAVENPORT: I agree with the Grand Slams, and they go with halves right away. They announced which half was playing before my foot really started to flare up at the end of last week.

I agree there shouldn't be, you know, a precedent set for one or two matches. So it was already decided. If it had been maybe earlier last week when I had asked, maybe it would have helped, but it had already decided the top half was playing today.

Q. Did you ever think during the match today you wouldn't be able to finish?

LINDSAY DAVENPORT: No, once I got out there, it was okay. First few games went by, I was playing okay, feeling okay. I thought I could get through. So, no, I mean, I was a little bit nervous beforehand, just seeing what was gonna happen.

Q. What are you like when you're really nervous? You're probably not that nervous for a match that often.

LINDSAY DAVENPORT: It just happened so fast. The matches went extremely fast. I was, you know, in with the trainers most of the time, saw the doctor. Kind of just all over the place. Then it was time to play. Luckily, the matches went fast. I didn't have too much time to think about it.

Q. Is the injury something that is unpredictable, or are you under the impression that the more you play, as you advance, you'll just become more and more sore?

LINDSAY DAVENPORT: Well, it was getting more and more sore last week with playing a lot of matches in a lot of days. Hopefully here the day off in between will help me out a lot. But I don't know. I mean, sometimes it's okay for a long match. Other times it hurts in the first 15, 20 minutes. I can never tell.

Hopefully, this -- you know, every time I've gotten a shot, the first few weeks have been the best weeks. Hopefully it will just give me a few more weeks.

Q. Can't take any more now?

LINDSAY DAVENPORT: That's it. They didn't want to give me the third. I had to beg them.

Q. You had no on-court preparation?

LINDSAY DAVENPORT: No, I warmed up out there today.

Q. For how long?

LINDSAY DAVENPORT: Probably, you know, the courts are 45 minutes. I think I stopped 5 or 10 minutes early. 35.

Q. Surgery would obviously keep you out of the championships. How disappointing is that?

LINDSAY DAVENPORT: Yeah. I think in my mind, I haven't quite thought about the tournaments I'm gonna miss yet. I think it's safe to say I'm not gonna be able to finish the year, the fall.

Q. How much time will you need to take off?

LINDSAY DAVENPORT: I've heard I could be back playing a tournament anywhere from eight to twelve weeks.

Q. Do you want to be?

LINDSAY DAVENPORT: Back playing?

Q. Yeah.

LINDSAY DAVENPORT: Yeah. I'm gonna do the surgery and do my best to prepare to come back for whatever . I mean, I think realistically, LA or Philadelphia is not gonna be in the picture, I don't think.

I don't know. I guess if it's like miraculous, really speedy. I'll do my best to see how I'm feeling in December, see if I'm ready for Australia.

Q. You were talking at Wimbledon about not being sure.

LINDSAY DAVENPORT: Yeah, at this point I fully plan to try and be as ready as I can be.

Q. With the ranking system the way it is now, would you think it would be better for you if it was skewed that you had to win a Grand Slam to get to No. 1?

LINDSAY DAVENPORT: No, I think it's good. Our tour is based on the WTA Tour, the Grand Slams are obviously a big part, but our tour is a huge part. I would prefer best of 15, maybe not 17. I think it's a lot of tournaments asking the players to play.

But, no, I think the ranking system has been a pretty fair indicator the last few years.

Q. That consistency thing is as important as winning a Slam?

LINDSAY DAVENPORT: I think we encourage players to play more than eight or nine events. I think, you know, it's based on best of 17 tournaments. Who's ever done the best over 17 tournaments is gonna be No. 1.

Q. Do you think if Venus and Serena had played here, would that have had any impact on your decision?

LINDSAY DAVENPORT: No.

Q. None at all?

LINDSAY DAVENPORT: No.

Q. Are you aware, though, from a TV point of view that (inaudible) is more worried about your medical report?

LINDSAY DAVENPORT: I can't worry about those. The Slam, we've got men, we've got women. It's obviously disappointing on the women's side without our two biggest stars. But that doesn't go to my mind. My mind is, "This is my favorite Grand Slam. I want to do well here. Want to just play here basically."

Q. You appreciate the business side of the game, too?

LINDSAY DAVENPORT: Right. But if I take into the TV concerns, I mean... Got a lot of other concerns going on. TV, you know, there's the men here, like I said. There's Andre, Andy, there's some other girls here, too.

Q. I know you're mostly thinking about the foot, but how has the (inaudible)?

LINDSAY DAVENPORT: I think it's just a feeling that we haven't had in a number of years. I think, you know, since, what was it, '99 when Serena won the first one, one of them's always been in the latter rounds. Now suddenly not to have both, it's a very -- I think it's disappointing for people. It's always fun when you win a Slam to then beat the best players. I, you know, I don't know.

I think that Kim and Justine and Jennifer and still some really great players left. Unfortunately, it's always gonna be known as, "The one that the Williams didn't play."

(This is a partial transcript.)

:wavey: Rachel

CONGRATULATIONS LINDSAY!

Lindsayfan
Aug 26th, 2003, 08:23 AM
WELL DONE LINDSAY!!!! KEEP IT GOING!!!!

:yeah: :worship:

vicki
Aug 27th, 2003, 06:09 AM
GO LINDSAY!!!!:bounce::bounce:

jacs
Aug 27th, 2003, 10:28 AM
lindsay gets the night match next!

GO LINDSAY!

Elske
Aug 27th, 2003, 12:23 PM
Vicki i just loooove the quote in your sig! :yeah:

Good luck tonight, Lindsay! :bounce:

LUXXXAS
Aug 27th, 2003, 05:12 PM
GooD LucK Lindsay!!!:bounce::kiss::bounce::hearts::bounce:

shirley
Aug 27th, 2003, 06:12 PM
New match means new smilie

http://www.my-smileys.de/signs/a5c8e10eed9d0185bc35c90d2bedf691.png

Nikki
Aug 27th, 2003, 08:56 PM
C'mon Lindsay:bounce:

RayRob
Aug 28th, 2003, 12:57 AM
Apparently, Lindsay's forehand was on fire! :eek: :p ;) :lol:

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-8/357657/Lindsays_forehands_on_fire.jpg

Go for it in round 3 Lindsay! :bounce:

-Rachel :wavey:

QUEENLINDSAY
Aug 28th, 2003, 01:58 AM
Well Done Lindsay!!!

She is actually not giving all her best yet, though she is always in control of the game. I believed she is saving it for bigger matches.

vicki
Aug 28th, 2003, 06:16 AM
CONGRATS LINDSAY!!
and good luck!

Thanks Elske! :) i love it too!:)

LUXXXAS
Aug 28th, 2003, 06:40 AM
Congrats Linds!:bounce::)

Lindsayfan
Aug 28th, 2003, 12:58 PM
GOOD LUCK LINDSAY FOR UR NEXT MATCH!! :worship: :yeah: :hearts:

Daniel
Aug 28th, 2003, 03:52 PM
:bounce:

QUEENLINDSAY
Aug 29th, 2003, 03:07 AM
Come on Lindsay!!!! I want a bagel against Melinda!!!!

LindsayRulez
Aug 29th, 2003, 03:19 AM
QUEENLINDSAY, how about a double bagel or maybe a bagel and a breadstick?!

LUXXXAS
Aug 29th, 2003, 05:41 AM
GooD LucK Lindsay!:bounce::kiss::bounce::hearts::bounce:

Daniel
Aug 29th, 2003, 03:26 PM
:d :d :d :d

Daniel
Aug 29th, 2003, 04:23 PM
She advanced to the 4R

:D :D :D :D :D

LUXXXAS
Aug 29th, 2003, 05:14 PM
YEAH congrats Linds!!!:bounce::kiss::bounce::hearts::bounce:

vicki
Aug 29th, 2003, 05:24 PM
CONGRATS LINDSAY!!!

GOOD LUCK against Petrova!
http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20030829/capt.1062174736.us_open_xnyf106.jpg

shirley
Aug 29th, 2003, 06:00 PM
Great win for Lindsay today. Is it Nadia she plays next?

Lindsayfan
Aug 29th, 2003, 07:01 PM
yes nadia is her next opponent and we'll know more about lindsay's real condition in that match.

CONGRATS LINDSAY AND KEEP IT GOING! :worship:

shirley
Aug 29th, 2003, 07:11 PM
Oh *fingers crossed* for the match v Nadia then. It could be a tough one. Let's hope the toe holds up. Good Luck Lindsay :bounce:

Daniel
Aug 29th, 2003, 07:48 PM

Nikki
Aug 29th, 2003, 09:35 PM

LUXXXAS
Aug 30th, 2003, 07:55 AM
H2H:
Lindsay DAVENPORT (USA) v Nadia PETROVA (RUS)

2000 Miami Hard (O) QF Lindsay DAVENPORT 6-2 6-1
2001 Los Angeles Hard (O) 32 Lindsay DAVENPORT 7-6(3) 7-6(3)

Lindsay DAVENPORT (USA) leads 2 : 0

LUXXXAS
Aug 30th, 2003, 08:16 AM
http://www.wtatour.com/assets/story_image/DavPress082903.jpg

LUXXXAS
Aug 31st, 2003, 09:42 AM
Lindsay's supporters:where are you???:eek:

Lindsayfan
Aug 31st, 2003, 09:45 AM
i'm here,ready to support lindsay as always! ;)
i watched all her matches on tv til now and i hope my tv will show also today's match.

GOOOOOOO LINDSAY!!!!!! :bounce: :bounce:

LUXXXAS
Aug 31st, 2003, 10:53 AM
ohh You are so lucky...I haven't seen any of Lindsay's matches yet and today it won't change because Lindsay plays first match on centre court and Eurosport will show matches from 7 PM CET:(((
Hope to see yours comments from Lindsay's match:)

Daniel
Aug 31st, 2003, 12:58 PM

RayRob
Aug 31st, 2003, 02:51 PM
GO LINDSAY! Lindsay due on court in about 10 mins :bounce:

Nikki
Aug 31st, 2003, 03:27 PM
C'mon Lindsay:)

shirley
Aug 31st, 2003, 06:00 PM
*huge sigh of relief*

She did it! I'm just relieved that she got through. I didn't see any of the 1st set but watched the 2nd set but then when Lindsay lost the tie-break I went upstairs because I thought the momentum would be with Nadia but then I couldn't relax so came back to watch the end of the match and we I put the TV on Lindsay was up 3-1 in the final set. A good work out for Lindsay.

Gooooooooooo Lindsay!!!!!!!!

Lindsayfan
Aug 31st, 2003, 09:19 PM
I saw the whole match.I can tell you that Lindsay played very well in first set,she was totally focused on her game,and didnt hit any unforced error.Petrova was playing poorly though,she was out of the match maybe.
in second set Lindsay started to make ue and Petrova's confidence bounced back,she was hitting the ball well and making lots of winners.til the tiebreak,Lindsay was playing great in the big points,she broke back Nadia and i was sure she was going to win the match in 2 sets.in tiebreak Lindsay was up 5-2,then she made 2 stupid errors (specially 1 forehand who was really easy for Lindsay...)and she lost the set.neway i never had the impression that Petrova was going to win the match.
in third set there was a early break,lindsay was up 3-1,then they played a close game but lindsay was able to win it.the real problem was lindsay's foot cos she was moving worse;petrova started to make lots of mistakes again,proving that she isnt very smart and she isnt strong mentally.lindsay was injured and still petrova wasnt able to fight back.
at the end of the match she could barely go to the net and shake her hand.
I just hope she'll be fine for her next match vs suarez.it should be a easy match for Lindsay,for sure easier than petrova's one.

PS: Jon was there,sitting close to Adam and making bubble gums.

GOOOO LUCKK LINDSAY FOR THE REST OF THE TOURNEY!!!!! :) :) :)

Lindsayfan
Aug 31st, 2003, 09:34 PM
THE MODERATOR: First question for Lindsay.

Q. We're not used to married women winning this tournament. Do you think that's a positive factor for you?

LINDSAY DAVENPORT: No, I don't think it has anything to do with it. I have no idea. I'd certainly like to be the first in a long time to accomplish that.

But we got Justine also. She's got a chance. She's married.

Q. She has a chance, that's true. You had said the other day you would know better after today what the state of your game was. Can you just talk about it?

LINDSAY DAVENPORT: Yeah, well, the first set was how I wanted to play. I played real aggressive, was in control of the points, then slowly through the middle of the second till the end I stopped being in control of points. I was making a lot of careless errors, I thought. Then she started serving a lot better.

But, you know, the first set gives me a lot of encouragement. I was hitting the ball, attacking it, and they were going in. Just slightly got off that game plan and turned into being a much tougher battle.

Q. Did you have some expectation in the third set that she was going to melt down a little bit?

LINDSAY DAVENPORT: Well, remarkably positive after losing the tiebreak. I sat down thinking, "Oh, okay, I'm fine." You know, sometimes you're really down about those things, and sometimes, you know, it doesn't really affect you. I was fine. I actually probably should have been up 3‑Love. I didn't break at 1‑Love up.

But I felt fine. I mean, towards the end, my foot was starting to get a little bit sore ‑ not major. But then I just wanted to get off the court, so I just wanted to like try and end the match.

Q. It looked like you were in a little bit of pain. That wasn't a new injury?

LINDSAY DAVENPORT: No, it's the same thing.

Q. Did you have a sense at some point in the third set that she was beginning now to make a lot of unforced errors?

LINDSAY DAVENPORT: She was, yeah.

Q. Did you just keep the ball fairly down the middle, you were going to be fine?

LINDSAY DAVENPORT: I was trying to do that. Then sometimes that makes me actually miss more. I just wanted to get them in because she was all of a sudden coming up with a lot of errors and wasn't really hitting, you know, clean winners all the time. Especially on the one side when you're against the wind, it's hard to really get control of the ball anyways.

But, yeah, towards the end, I thought I'd just let her, you know, throw in the errors ‑ and she was.

Q. Are you at all concerned about the state of your toe?

LINDSAY DAVENPORT: No. It is what it is. It would have been nice to have finished in two sets, but it didn't happen. But I still got through a pretty long match. I think it was over an hour and 45 minutes, I'm not sure. But I still feel pretty good, was able to get through it.

Q. Second week the tournament, anything surprise you or not surprise you as to how this Williams‑less tournament has sort of unfolded?

LINDSAY DAVENPORT: Not really. I think a lot of people were talking about Kim and Jennifer, Justine and myself. We're all still in. But I think it's gone according to plan. I haven't been following the draw all that closely. But, you know, I think that it's just kind of gone the way maybe it was supposed to. A few upsets here and there, but for the most part, the top players are getting through.

Q. Shaquille O'Neal and other players have talked about how they take antiinflammatory medication with trepidation because they're worried about the long‑term effects. Do you think about that, with everything you're doing to be able to play right now?

LINDSAY DAVENPORT: Yeah. I mean, you do. I only take it during tournaments, which that's not maybe the best way to do it. But, no, I always try not to take anything while I'm at home.

Yeah, you do a lot of things to your body to get through certain seasons or certain tournaments that probably can't be the healthiest thing for you to do.

I want more than anything to finish the tournament, so I'm going to be taking all the antiinflammatories and doing everything that I can to make my body feel as good as it can.

Q. One got the sense toward the end of the second set that you were getting a little bit sluggish out on the court. Were you getting a little bit tired? Did you regroup in the third set?

LINDSAY DAVENPORT: Yeah. You know, sometimes you get these second and third winds. I was feeling more tired in the second set at the end than I was in the beginning to middle part of the third. You know, some of that is you're a little bit anxious and nervous to get the match over with.

All of a sudden, when the second set was over, I felt fine. I felt more refreshed and I felt a lot more relaxed to go out there and start again.

Yeah, I mean, I was lucky I got it back together in the third.

Q. To follow up on my question, are there any side effects that you face when you take those? Also, when was the last time you can remember waking up feeling no aches, no pains?

LINDSAY DAVENPORT: You know, every other part of my body's been very good. That has been a plus. If I was battling two or three things, it could be a little bit more detrimental.

What was the first part again?

Q. Side effects.

LINDSAY DAVENPORT: Upset stomach sometimes. That's probably the only side effect I get from taking it. I take Vioxx.

Q. Is that a commercial?

LINDSAY DAVENPORT: I do believe in it (smiling).

Q. During the game, I saw you go down. I thought you held the back of your right knee.

LINDSAY DAVENPORT: No, no, that was complete and utter frustration. When I put my head down?

Q. Yes.

LINDSAY DAVENPORT: No, it wasn't anything.

Q. Did you know that Rosie O'Donnell was in the stadium? Is she a personal friend? She seemed to watch your match and then leave.

LINDSAY DAVENPORT: That's nice. I didn't know she was there. I have been on her show. I have met her once or twice. I'm a fan of hers. I wouldn't call her a personal friend.

Q. Did you like going on the show?

LINDSAY DAVENPORT: Yeah, I did it after I won The Open here. It was a lot of fun. She had a great personality during that show, very energetic. It was a lot of fun.

Q. Condaleeza Rice was out here the other night and said she loves you, you're her favorite player among the women. I wonder what that's like?

LINDSAY DAVENPORT: It's so surreal. I did read that. I met her here last year when she came. I was so honored. I think she's amazing to ascend where she's gotten to in the ranks, must have been a very hard journey for her. I have a lot of respect for her. It was quite flattering what she said.

Q. Question for you about the tennis match. She's serving at 1‑2 in the third set, 15‑30, you had a very strong rally. Do you think that was the turning point of the match there?

LINDSAY DAVENPORT: I just wanted to get that one break so badly. Sometimes ‑‑ at Love‑1, I had Love‑30. Hit a stupid error a couple shots into it. Then at 1‑2, I was determined to get this break. Even though I was on the side against the wind, I was still trying to hit forceful, just trying to get on top of her. I thought if I could get on top of her, I could get some momentum going.

Yeah, to get up 15‑40 was very big, gave me two opportunities and a little more pressure on her serve to try and break.

jacs
Sep 1st, 2003, 06:26 AM
from yahoo.com

Davenport goes the distance to reach quarterfinals

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20030831/capt.1062351350.us_open_tennis_xnyf116.jpg

By JANIE McCAULEY, AP Sports Writer
August 31, 2003

NEW YORK (AP) -- It's rare that Lindsay Davenport loses her cool, but Nadia Petrova was really getting to her. Davenport bounced her racket to the ground, then caught it on the ricochet.

It was a very minor display of frustration.

On Sunday at the U.S. Open, America's down-to-earth star received her toughest test of the tournament yet.

Davenport, extended to three sets for the first time at Flushing Meadows this year, defeated hard-serving Russian Nadia Petrova 6-0, 6-7 (6), 6-2 to reach the quarterfinals.

The third-seeded Davenport, the only former Open champion in the field, spent 1 hour, 52 minutes on the court in the fourth-round match. She had won her first three matches in less than three hours.

Still, in typical Davenport fashion, she smiled and gave a friendly wave to the energetic crowd when she was done.

It was a thoughtful show of appreciation for a crowd that stuck by her through the struggles. A tiny group of fans in the upper deck hollered ``Let's go Lindsay,'' and nearly everyone in Arthur Ashe Stadium participated in the ensuing clap-clap, clap-clap-clap.

``The first set is how I wanted to play,'' she said. ``I played real aggressive, was in control of the points, then slowly through the middle of the second set until the end I stopped being in control of points. I was making a lot of careless errors. Then she started serving a lot better.

``But, you know, the first set gives me a lot of encouragement.''

Davenport will now play No. 24 Paola Suarez, who also had to go the distance to win her fourth-round match, 6-2, 3-6, 7-5 against Elena Likhovtseva. Suarez had beaten the Russian only once in five previous meetings.

World No. 1 Kim Clijsters lost just five points on her serve in the second set and 13 total while serving on the way to a 6-2, 6-4 win against 17th-seeded American Meghann Shaughnessy. The four games Clijsters allowed in the second set were the most any opponent has taken from her.

She's lost just 18 games in all.

``I'm feeling good,'' Clijsters said. ``It's always a little bit different because the stadium's so big here. When I first played here, it was a little overwhelming.''

Up next for Clijsters is No. 5 Amelie Mauresmo, a 6-2, 6-2 winner over Thailand's Tamarine Tanasugarn. Clijsters is 3-2 against Mauresmo and both women are looking for their first Grand Slam titles.

When asked the key to beating Clijsters, Mauresmo said, ``Well, I'm not going to tell you that,'' and then she laughed.

Davenport has never lost to Suarez in five meetings dating to 1996, though the 27-year-old Argentine stole her first set from Davenport this year in Los Angeles.

Suarez, in her 10th straight Open appearance, has advanced her furthest in the draw. She reached the third round in 1997, losing to Mary Joe Fernandez.

This has been a successful year for her. Suarez won on the red clay in Vienna in June, was a semifinalist in Bogota and Toronto, and reached the quarterfinals in three other events.

``I think it's the best year for me,'' she said. ``Because I can play. I play all the tournaments at a good level. I feel my confidence (go up) every tournament. I think I have a lot of experience now. Mentally, I'm more strong.''

Davenport didn't look so mentally strong at times during her match.

Her body language gave it all away: The woman with the most hard court wins of all time was uncomfortable with her game.

After breezing through the opening set in 22 minutes, Davenport began having trouble with the No. 19 Petrova's serve, which consistently came in at 106 mph or faster. Her own serve failed her for a bit, too.

There were four straight games in the second set when neither player held serve. After breaking back to close within 5-4, Davenport held for 5-5. In the tiebreaker, she led 5-2 before Petrova tied it at 5. Petrova made it 6-5 when Davenport's second serve clipped the net and sailed long.

Davenport saved two set points before Petrova finished it. Davenport, who admitted she began to tire, had more unforced errors than winners, 33-22. This kind of test is exactly what Davenport hoped to avoid during the first week. It will be interesting to see how she holds up from here. The foot will require surgery after the Open.

``It is what it is,'' she said. ``It would have been nice to have finished it in two sets, but it didn't happen. But I still got through a pretty long match.''

Late in the third set, Davenport limped to the sideline for the final changeover, clearly bothered by the lingering nerve problem in the toes of her left foot.

LUXXXAS
Sep 1st, 2003, 06:47 AM
Congrats Linds!:yeah::bounce:

vicki
Sep 1st, 2003, 06:50 AM
CONGRATS and GO LINDSAY!!!!

kku
Sep 1st, 2003, 07:00 AM
Aw Lindsay :) Keep up the effort! You have a lot of dedicated fans on this board and all of us will be cheering you on. If anyone deserves to win the US Open this year, it's you :bounce: (yeah, I know. Lindsay doesn't read this messages, but hey! I can still use the second person perspective, can't I?).

And props to all the supporters here. It wasn't long ago that I thought I was the only person in the world who really supported Lindsay. Looks like I've been proved wrong :eek:

Lindsayfan
Sep 1st, 2003, 09:21 AM
It wasn't long ago that I thought I was the only person in the world who really supported Lindsay. Looks like I've been proved wrong :eek:

you really thought so? :eek:
neway welcome here,i hope you'll keep posting! ;)

GO LINDSAY!!!! :worship: :worship: :worship:

LUXXXAS
Sep 1st, 2003, 05:44 PM
I didn't see Lindsay's match:( How Lindsay played???

shirley
Sep 1st, 2003, 05:45 PM
http://www.my-smileys.de/signs/74b07a24069a68565ca4c0f10d7230a6.png

New opponent means new smilie :D

Lindsayfan
Sep 1st, 2003, 08:39 PM
I didn't see Lindsay's match:( How Lindsay played???

Luxxxas: I wrote a little report in the page 2 of this thread.check it out. :)

LUXXXAS
Sep 1st, 2003, 10:32 PM
thanks Lindsayfan:kiss:

Viva
Sep 2nd, 2003, 02:30 AM
I'm a little late but I am now officially saying:

Go Lindsay!! :D

LUXXXAS
Sep 2nd, 2003, 08:28 AM
GooD LucK Lindsay tonight!!!:bounce:

vicki
Sep 2nd, 2003, 12:44 PM
COME ON LINDSAY!!!! :bounce::bounce:

Nikki
Sep 2nd, 2003, 08:46 PM
Good Luck Lindsay:bounce:

Nikki
Sep 2nd, 2003, 08:46 PM
C'mon Lindsay:)

Lindsayfan
Sep 2nd, 2003, 09:57 PM
i hope rain will stop soon and lindsay can play her match.i'm staying up for that! ;)

GO LINDSAY!!!!! :yeah:

LUXXXAS
Sep 3rd, 2003, 07:28 AM
I hope one more day-off was good for Lindsay's foot:)

vicki
Sep 3rd, 2003, 09:28 AM
yeah, luxxxas, i hope it too!:)

GO LINDSAY!!

Nikki
Sep 3rd, 2003, 09:37 AM
GO LINDSAY :bounce: :bounce: :worship: :worship:

RayRob
Sep 3rd, 2003, 03:36 PM
Well, it's still raining - has it ever stopped????

I too hope that the extra day off has been good for Lindsay - must be frustrating though, not knowing when you will be playing :o :eek:

Lindsay has had more experience than Suarez (and anyone else in the draw for that matter) in coping with rain delays (ie at Wimbledon) so it could be a good thing.

GO LINDSAY! :bounce:

QUEENLINDSAY
Sep 3rd, 2003, 04:11 PM
What I'm worried here is that Lindsay will have her maches, QF,SF and Finals in just 3 days or worst 2 days.

I'm still here in NewJersey, I'll be in NY anytime rain stops. Come on rain today is my last day to see Linds. Anyway I already saw her last sunday.

RayRob
Sep 4th, 2003, 04:29 PM
What I'm worried here is that Lindsay will have her maches, QF,SF and Finals in just 3 days or worst 2 days.

I'm still here in NewJersey, I'll be in NY anytime rain stops. Come on rain today is my last day to see Linds. Anyway I already saw her last sunday.

I don't think the USTA will allow a US player play 2 singles matches in one day - I think they would rather go into a third week! :)

I hope play gets underway soon :sad:

Lindsayfan
Sep 4th, 2003, 04:37 PM
i'm so pissed off with rain! :fiery: Plz move the Us Open here in Sicily...we dont have 1 raindrop since april.

GOOO LINDSAY,WHENEVER U WILL PLAY! :worship:

QUEENLINDSAY
Sep 4th, 2003, 04:55 PM
Poor me!!! I'm already back here in Dallas and I did'nt see much of US Open during my stay there.

Anyway, GO LINDSAY!!!!!!!!!!!!

RayRob
Sep 4th, 2003, 06:33 PM
i'm so pissed off with rain! :fiery: Plz move the Us Open here in Sicily...we dont have 1 raindrop since april.

GOOO LINDSAY,WHENEVER U WILL PLAY! :worship:

LOL, that would be a good idea, although believe it or not it has been glorious weather here in the UK for the past 4 days! :eek: well it has where I live ;) Today has been extremely hot too :p

:wavey: Rachel

toobaxx
Sep 4th, 2003, 09:12 PM
was Lindsay's chances for a fourth grand slam title just washed away with the rain?

I'm sure she'll win against Paola, but both Paola and Kim in one day, that seems pretty unlikely considering lindasy's record against kim this year and her toe :sad: :fiery:

oh fuck this why am I so negative:

c'mon Lindsay double bagel Paola AND Kim and then get your revenge on Justine :devil: :bounce: :devil:

RayRob
Sep 5th, 2003, 01:23 AM
Well, Lindsay won 6-4, 6-0 and will play Kim who bt Amilie 6-1, 6-4.

Lindsay's foot seems to be holding up and she had a good tester against Bovina the other day - Kim is yet to be tested and I hope that it is Lindsay that does that - well, win anyway ;)

GO LINDSAY tomorrow! :bounce:

Lindsayfan
Sep 5th, 2003, 01:45 AM
Rachel,Lindsay played Petrova the other day,not Bovina! LOL :o

COME ON LINDSAY,PLZZZ PLAY UR BEST TENNIS VS KIM!!! :) :) :)

QUEENLINDSAY
Sep 5th, 2003, 01:45 AM
You mean Petrova!!!!!:)

GO LINDSAY!!!!!!!
You can do it!!!!!!
US OPEN is for you!!!!!!!

RayRob
Sep 5th, 2003, 01:57 AM
Rachel,Lindsay played Petrova the other day,not Bovina! LOL :o

COME ON LINDSAY,PLZZZ PLAY UR BEST TENNIS VS KIM!!! :) :) :)

LOL yeah, I know. :p I actually 'clicked' what I had said and just came back to edit it - It was petrova's face who was in my head but I put bovina's name down.......I've done it in another post too :o All these Russians confuse me ;) :rolleyes:

LUXXXAS
Sep 5th, 2003, 05:48 AM
Congrats Lindsay!!!:bounce::yeah::bounce::yippee::bounce:

vicki
Sep 5th, 2003, 07:31 AM
Congrats LINDSAY!!
Pls beat Kim, u can do it!!!!! :bounce:

RayRob
Sep 5th, 2003, 10:41 AM
C'mon Lindsay! Lindsay has the tools to beat KC because she has done it 6 times before! Lindsay just needs to take it to her, put Kim under pressure. Kim just seems to work on the premise of wearing Lindsay down by playing a great defensive game. I think if Lindsay plays hard deep shots up the middle, that it will trouble Kim. Force Kim to hit winners, instead of Lindsay trying to hit winners, because Kim will only get it back.

GO LINDSAY! :bounce:
-Rachel :)

Kelly
Sep 5th, 2003, 10:46 AM
lets go lindsay!!!!

it would be cool if she won!!!

QUEENLINDSAY
Sep 5th, 2003, 02:39 PM
One more Grandslam plssss Lindsay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And another one in AO, :)

RayRob
Sep 5th, 2003, 04:01 PM
One more Grandslam plssss Lindsay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And another one in AO, :)

LOL, thatb makes two ;)

LUXXXAS
Sep 5th, 2003, 05:40 PM
Go Lindsay! JUST STAY POSITIVE AND PLAY YOUR BEST TENNIS TODAY!!!:bounce::kiss::bounce::hearts::bounce:

shirley
Sep 5th, 2003, 05:49 PM
http://www.my-smileys.de/signs/eb8f74ee6ec008ec457e99fbc7a7fb14.png

Come on Lindsay! You have the tools to beat Kim and reach the final of the US Open again :yeah:

QUEENLINDSAY
Sep 5th, 2003, 08:49 PM
OK Just this US Open first!!!! Pls lindz!!!!! We can add more later!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GO LINDSAY

Greenout
Sep 6th, 2003, 01:11 AM
(Hangs head lower, real low)

I've been a Lindsay fan for years, and I don't know
why? but I find myself feeling really melancoly
about this loss. It's heartbreaking, truly heartbreaking.
I still don't think Kim is better than Lindsay;but she
just wasn't the Lindsay we loved to see play years ago.
The surgery is coming up and she'll be out quite a bit
until she plays again. I hope this isn't an omen. I
miss her already!. (sniff, sniff)

Still one of my favorites, and truly classy player in
a world with very un-classy players.

joaco
Sep 6th, 2003, 01:15 AM
It is so sad. I mean, again to Kim. And 6-2, 6-3... Lindsay is better than THAT :rolleyes: She really needs to get a slap in the face or something.
I still love you Lindsay

QUEENLINDSAY
Sep 6th, 2003, 01:19 AM
Lindsay needs some therapy about her confidence!!!
She needs to believe she can do it!!!
A champion dont just needs A game, They also needs fighting spirit and thats where she lacks.

Greenout
Sep 6th, 2003, 01:20 AM
If only everyone in this thread could've talked to
her and give her that extra special booster shot.

We know your Great Lindsay! I wish you would
believe it too!!