PDA

View Full Version : The International Cuisine Thread

alexusjonesfan
Aug 10th, 2003, 05:13 AM
ITT we talked about food!
What kind of food do you eat where you live? What kinds of foods from other places do you like to eat?

If you want to, post some recipies of dishes from our home countries or just things that you like to make.
(btw, the credit for this idea should go to Monique)

GO! :bounce:

CC
Aug 10th, 2003, 05:18 AM
Manish Water (soup)

Chopped up goat head
Garlic,escallion.thyme,pimento seed, salt to taste
Whole green pepper,black pepper,
1pk. Chicken Noodle
3-6 green bananas
lbs.Yam
3 small Irish Potato
Flour for dumpling
2 chochos (optional)
1 Whole Scotch Bonnet Pepper

:tape:

Ackee and Saltfish (national dish)

1/2 lb. Saltfish (codfish)
1 dozen ackees
1 small onion
1 teaspoon black pepper
3 slices hot scotch bonnet pepper
1 small red sweet pepper
cooking oil
:lick:

alexusjonesfan
Aug 10th, 2003, 05:20 AM
hmm...CC, could you suggest an alternative to the 'chopped up goat head' ?;)
perhaps another part of the goat?

CC
Aug 10th, 2003, 05:23 AM
hmm...CC, could you suggest an alternative to the 'chopped up goat head' ?;)
perhaps another part of the goat?

Pehaps you'd like to try the cow head instead? :tape:

alexusjonesfan
Aug 10th, 2003, 05:54 AM
Pehaps you'd like to try the cow head instead? :tape:

as long as we don't involve primates, I'm game :lick:

gentenaire
Aug 10th, 2003, 10:16 AM
I eat normal food. When preparing a meal I make sure we always have something of the three major groups: meat or fish/pasta, potatoes or rice/veggies.

At home a meal is always:

Soup (My mother makes fresh soup twice a week and freezes some of it. This way we can have homemade soup every day.)

main course

fruit as dessert

Breakfast is usually bread and jam/nutella/chocolate sprinklers

We usually have our hot meal for lunch

In the evening we have bread with cheese, ham, salad, etc.

irma
Aug 10th, 2003, 10:19 AM
melkmoes :lol:

Monique
Aug 10th, 2003, 02:20 PM
thanks for the thread, Caelestia :wavey: :kiss: ! and let's get it on!

Here is a good website for those wondering about the prowess of the Belgian cuisine (http://frenchfood.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?site=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.recipehound.com% 2FRecipes%2Fbelgium.html) ;)

and here is one of my favourite recipes:

Flemish Beef Stew Cooked in Beer (Vlaamse Stovery)(Les Carbonades Flamandes)

INGREDIENTS:
4 pounds boneless stew meat, such as chuck, cut into 2-inch cubes, 1 teaspoon salt ,1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper,
2 to 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour, 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, 3 large onions (about 2 pounds), thinly sliced
2 bottles (12 ounces each), Belgian beer, 2 or 3 sprigs fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme 2 bay leaves,
1-1/2 tablespoons red currant jelly (or brown sugar) ,1 tablespoon cider or red wine vinegar

1 Season the beef cubes with the salt and pepper and dredge with the flour. Shake off any excess.

2 Melt 2 tablespoons of the butter in a large heavy skillet over high heat until hot but not smoking. Add the beef cubes and saute until nicely browned on all sides. Work in batches so as not to crowd the beef cubes, or they will steam instead of saute. Add 1 tablespoon of butter, if necessary. Transfer the beef cubes to a heavy Dutch oven.

3 Add the remaining 1 tablespoon butter to the skillet and melt over medium heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned, about 15 minutes. If necessary, raise the heat toward the end of the cooking time. It is important to brown the meat and the onions evenly to give the stew its deep brown color. The trick is to stir the onions just enough to avoid burning them but not so often as to interrupt the browning process. Combine the onions with the meat in the Dutch oven.

4 Deglaze the skillet with the beer, scraping with a wooden spoon to loosen any brown bits, and bring to a boil. Pour the beer over the meat. Add the thyme and bay leaves.

5 Simmer, covered, over low heat until the meat is very tender, 1-1/2 to 2 hours. Before serving, stir in the red currant jelly and vinegar; simmer for 5 minutes. This sweet-and-sour combination will give this hearty stew its authentic Flemish flavor. Remove the thyme sprigs and bay leaves. Taste and adjust the seasoning and serve. Enjoy :drool: !

Kirt12255
Aug 10th, 2003, 03:27 PM
:wavey: Cool thread!!! I'm one of those sad people that are infactuated with watching cooking shows LOL :o

If you want heaps and heaps and heaps of free recipes...go to http://www.ichef.com

Thousands there :wavey:

Cheers Kirt :wavey:

alexusjonesfan
Aug 10th, 2003, 03:44 PM
melkmoes :lol:

Irma, you gotta let us in on some of those Dutch treats :lick:

Beggin Beguine, freezing soup is a great idea...but what kinds of soup can you freeze?
I think I'm gonna try that once school starts.