PDA

View Full Version : My Commentary - Qualifying Day 1

polishprodigy
Aug 9th, 2003, 11:31 PM
I was quite anxious to arrive at the tennis courts for 10, I arrived at 10:15 and quickly ran to see Nancy play as I knew her match wouldn't last long.

Here are my match reports:

(15) Alina Jidkova def. Ekaterina Shulaeva CAN 6-1 6-1
The match was closer than the score tells. Shulaeva really made Jidkova work for her win but made many poor errors.

(21) Prakusya def. Soukup-Zahalka CAN 6-2 6-1
Aneta had no chance in this match. Prakusya really just whipped through.

(23) Svetlana Krivencheva def. Nancy Loeffler-Caro CAN 6-0 6-0

Ahh Nancy. She has a very poor backhand and actually a surprisingly decent serve. Krivencheva kept laughing through the match and made faces as if she was surprised at how "elementary" her opponent was. Nancy was quite disappointed with her shots, always sighing in disgust. I spoke to Nancy after the match and got her autograph, wishing her well and telling her how proud her fans are of her, especially after win over Karen Fodera last year at Quebec. She responded 'well I keep trying'. And yes Nancy, it is for your continuous effort that you have stolen our hearts ;) I asked if she was playing doubles, and she said she still has to find a partner, I hope she does as I want a photo with her and she can top her carreer winnings with that $825 she already picked up for losing in the first round of qualifying. If she plays doubles, she gets more money. I hope aneta plays with her.

(22) Janet Lee def. Katarina Zoricic CAN 6-2 6-3

This match was again similar to the Shulaeva-Jidkova match, where the match was actually closer than it seemed. Lee really impressed me with her amazing winners, she really just overpowered Katarina in the first set. Keep in mind though that Katarina is only 16 years old. In the second set, Katarina led 3-1 but then lost the next 5 games due to silly errors and Lee's continuous counterpunching pressure and aggressive game. Lee played well and so did Zoricic but Lee came out with the win as she is more experienced.

(26) Beier Ko def. Monika Dancevic 7-6(3) 6-3

Beier played well and really just played well on the big points. Some break points squandered though on both sides. Monika had a good serve but her shots wern't as good as Ko's.

Stephanie Dubois CAN def. (16) Evie Dominikovic 6-3 7-5

When I found out that Stephanie was winning, I was shocked so I ran to watch the match. But boy was she playing really well. She was hitting deep and hard groundstrokes and really making Evie come up with the shots--forcing her to make errors. But Evie didn't play poorly, just not as well as Dubois did. In the second set, Evie started to pick up her play and Dubois got nervous, so Evie led 3-1. I came back at 5-5 and Dubois really controlled the last two games, racing to a 40-0 lead in her service game while leading 6-5. I was really proud of Stephanie, even though I like Evie so much, as Dubois really played well and deserved to win the match. Evie really had the mannerisms that her opponent was no joke and that was made clear after Dubois hit winner after winner and played so aggressively. I hope Dubois qualifies, she really should. But dally will be a tough test. But if she plays like she played to day, she has a decent chance.

(20) Tara Snyder def. Melanie Gloria CAN 6-0 6-2

BORING match. Tara grunts loud and didn't have much of a fight from Melanie. Melanie's backhand was not so good and she hit some really nice shots for a bit and then would come up with an unforced error. She made Tara work --no doubt--but Tara just had to keep in the rally and sure enough Melanie would net a shot.

(24) Diana Srebovic CAN def. Aleksandra Wozniak CAN 6-3 6-4

Good match. Diana played well and Aleksandra was rusty from injury. Well done Diana, she has a good chance to qualify as well.

I saw Amelie, Razzano, Mashona, Jeyaseelan, Gagliardi, Shinobu, Widjaja, Henin-Hardenne (practicing rigourously twice), Tanasugarn, Marois, Camerin and her blonde good looking friend (if Mara, why is she not in the draw??? her friend was doing drills so obviously she is playing). Yeah, I saw a lot of cool players and got autographs and nice pics (two of Nancy which I will post later, but not sure how good they will turn out).

Nevertheless, an exciting draw. the qualy draw has been revised a bit due to Weingartner being promoted to MD and De los rios withdrawing. But I hope Sonya, Ko and Srebovic can make a good effort in the final round.

polishprodigy
Aug 9th, 2003, 11:37 PM
Just to make something clear, Krivencheva was more amazed with Nancy's effort and was laughing and talking with Nancy after the match. She was not ridiculing Nancy or sticking her tongue out, she was quite respectful but just "shocked".

Jeff
Aug 9th, 2003, 11:53 PM
lol so how would you rate Nancy's level of play? College level? Jr. college level? High school level ;)

selesfan1
Aug 10th, 2003, 12:08 AM
Thanks so much for the report

Linnie
Aug 10th, 2003, 12:46 AM
Thanks for the report! :D

Lee-Waters' Boy
Aug 10th, 2003, 12:52 AM
her level of play would not get her onto many high school teams who are decent

rated_next
Aug 10th, 2003, 01:03 AM
thanks for the report :)

bis2806
Aug 10th, 2003, 01:25 AM
thanks for the report :) did you see widjaja practising?? is she in good shape?? thanks :D

patricktav2003
Aug 10th, 2003, 02:26 AM
Well Great Report !! Love To See The Canadians Fighting

HotSpot
Aug 10th, 2003, 02:32 AM
Great Report....Thanks a bunch!! :)

CoryAnnAvants#1
Aug 10th, 2003, 02:41 AM
Thanks for the great report!! Did you happen to see of Sonya Jeyaseelan and if so how is she plaiying? Thanks!

martamagica
Aug 10th, 2003, 03:03 AM
i was there for a while this afternoon

i watched most of alinka's match, and shulaeva didn't pressure her really. alinka just played through the motions, i've seen her play better before. i got to talk with alina too for like 10 minutes after her match, she was very sweet... and i got quite a few pics. it was great talking to one of my favorite players.

i only watched some of nancy, since alina was playing the same time. she really is awful. :o all she could do was put the serve in. i don't recall nancy even getting any groundies in. :o nancy seriously couldn't even make high school teams.

i'll be going again monday. :)

Instant
Aug 10th, 2003, 03:28 AM
At least Nancy is out there and having a go. More then can be said for many others :fiery:

Shooter
Aug 10th, 2003, 04:21 AM
Thanks also from me for the report. It was very thorough. Dubois' win is quite amazing.

New_Scarecrow
Aug 10th, 2003, 05:28 AM
thks 4 the report :yeah:

Brian Stewart
Aug 10th, 2003, 05:36 AM
Thanks for the report.

Nancy's just setting evryone up, then she's going to come out one day and really play! or not

caramel
Aug 10th, 2003, 06:43 AM
Nice report! Thanks a lot... Poor Nancy. :o

Shine On Silver Moon
Aug 10th, 2003, 07:28 AM
Thanks for ur report! Keep going! :cool:

TheBoiledEgg
Aug 10th, 2003, 08:43 AM
thanx PP for report

Steph winning, i knew she had a good chance :) today's gonna be alot tougher.

maya
Aug 10th, 2003, 10:03 AM
Nice report; thank you :)!

matthias
Aug 10th, 2003, 10:21 AM
Svetlana Krivencheva = Bitch

kfh_9118
Aug 10th, 2003, 11:00 AM
Thanks for the report. Nice to hear Wynne played well. Hope she can win against Nicole today

ghosts
Aug 10th, 2003, 11:30 AM
Svetlana Krivencheva = Bitch
:awww:

bis2806
Aug 10th, 2003, 03:01 PM
Don't worry, Krivencheva is gonna get her ass kicked by Angie today :)

King Aaron
Aug 10th, 2003, 04:08 PM
Thanks for the report. :D

ilovemomo
Aug 10th, 2003, 04:26 PM
Wow go the canadiens :eek:

¤CharlDa¤
Aug 10th, 2003, 04:39 PM
Great report!!!

And go to all the canadians in the draw!!!

Sharapova's_Boy
Aug 10th, 2003, 11:37 PM
Thanks for the report :)

beauty_is_pink
Aug 11th, 2003, 03:13 AM
when was Justine practising? what court?

i saw Daniela practising..... 2hrs man! i was there for the whole thing lol :eek: in the heat too! :p

i kno since today not alot of the courts were being used so thats why the top players had time to practise a lot.. Daniela practised on court1.. but i kno tomorrow most of the main courts will proabbly be taken for matches right? so practise courts are outside of the grounds..