PDA

View Full Version : GS singles titles by age

Volcana
Jan 31st, 2002, 01:13 AM
I'm one of those people who kind of feels that a new generatoin of tennis players has supplanted the old. Well, you can't tell that by who's winning the GS titles. Years the current ages of the the active GS title holders. The players currently 24 and older have the same number of GS titles as those 21 and younger. If youdon't count Monica or Arantxa. :)

30 04 ASV
29 01 Conchi
28 09 Monica
27 02 Mary
25 06 Jenn, Lindsay
24 01 Iva
21 09 Martina, Venus
20 01 Serena

The new players aren't exactly sweeping the old players before them. Since Martina's first GS singles win, the players her age or younger have won 10 GS titles. The players 24 or older won 9 GS titles in that span. In fact, Martina's 1997 skews the results. Take that out, and the older players are winning AT LEAST 2 GS titles a year. The younger players have only taken one year. 1997.

Y: <= 21 yrs old
0: >= 24 yrs old

YEAR Y 0
1997 3 1
1998 1 3
1999 2 2
2000 2 2
2001 2 2
2002 0 1

I'll bet if we look at number of tournaments won, we'll see the same thing. The older players are NOT being swept aside. Not yet.

(For those of you who wonder at the characterization of Jenn as an 'older player', remember she's the 1992 Olympic Gold medalist.

veryborednow
Jan 31st, 2002, 01:20 AM
Who are the players that make up the 22/23 age groups? I think Amelié M is, but can anyone think of any other players.

That's really interesting Volcana - Do you think it has anything to do with the younger players being unable to compete against the mpre respected personality - or are they just weaker?

Volcana
Jan 31st, 2002, 01:36 AM
I figure, whatever it takes to win GS titles, Melanie Molitor and Richard Williams cornered the market in 1978. Of all the player's born since then, only children born of one of those parents have won GS titles.

Actually, Melanie and Richard are never, ever seen together. Is it possible that they are the same person? (Wearing VERY heavy make-up?) :) Is it possible that a mad scientist, on a deranged quest to create the perfect tennis player, has been experimenting, and Martina, Serena and Venus are mere prototypes?

Is it possible that all too soon, a player with Richard Williams' build and Melanie Molitor's hair, who never changes expression on court, except to smirk, is about to win the Grand Slam?

Is women's tennis about to be changed forever when it's taken over by a genetic experiment gone BERZERK?!?!?! :bounce:

Tune in next week for another episode of 'As the WTA Turns'

Gallofa
Jan 31st, 2002, 02:08 AM
I think there is a very distinct possibility that they are the same person. I have been having my doubts about this same issue for a while now. Didn't you see the pic of Martina and Richard wearing a Melanie-style hat? veeeery suspicious ;) :p

lol @ Volcana!

That's got to be one of the funniest posts in a while! (along with treufreund "This is Tim's party and everyone but Richard is invited" post :p)

Volcana
Jan 31st, 2002, 05:11 AM
The 'oldsters' are up 1-0 this year, of course.

disposablehero
Jan 31st, 2002, 05:39 AM
With the exception of Venus Williams, the older generation almost completely owns the past 4 years.

RG98: ASV
WI98: Novotna
US98: Davenport
AO99: Hingis
RG99: Graf
WI99: Davenport
US99: S Williams
AO00: Davenport
RG00: Pierce
WI00: V Williams
US00: V Williams
AO01: Capriati
RG01: Capriati
WI01: V Williams
US01: V Williams
AO02: Capriati

That's 10-6 for the older generation. Venus makes up 2/3 of the younger generations total. As for who is almost getting there, the last 5 losing finalists have all been from the younger generation, but they were down 5-6 before. Venus, Serena, and Martina by themselves are not enough to change the guard. Kim and 1 or 2 others will have to step up.

BTW, I chose 25 as "older" and 24 as "younger".

disposablehero
Jan 31st, 2002, 05:57 AM
BTW, the "older" players are not sliding down a slippery slope either. The last time Mary Pierce was healthy was about 3 months after she won her 2nd Slam. Lindsay won her first Slam just 3 and hlaf years ago, at 22. Jen was almost 25 on her first, and a year later she is up to 3. Monica has been more competitive with the law firm of Williams, Williams, and Hingis in the past year than ever before. The firm of Clijsters, Dokic, Dementieva, and Henin hasn't even been able to take a match off her yet, despite all but the strongest of those 4 having victories over Venus.

Of course, the 30ish players aren't doing so well. Amanda is being outgunned, Arantxa is ordinary, and Conchita is dropping like a rock. But is that age or is it size (Amanda), motivation (Arantxa), and health (Conchita)?

Volcana
Jan 31st, 2002, 07:49 AM
After OZ '98, I figured the handwriting was on the wall for the old guard. Martina had won four of the last five slams. Venus had unexpectedly showed up in the US Open final. Anna Kournikova had been in the Wimbledon semis and Richard was saying Serena would be better than Venus.

Jana had never wons a slam.
Lindsay had never won a slam.
Jenn had never won slam.
Neither Arantxa nor Mary had won a slam in four years.

Sex was about to be sold. Youth was about to be served. The GS World belonged to Martina Hingis, and it was her's til some other underaged princess came along to push her off the throne.

Wrong.

From RG 98 to RG 00, the old guard took the youngsters to school winning 7 of 9 slams. Only Martina Hingis and Serena Williams slowed the tide of veteran wins. The press was all about youth then, but history was made by the vets.

Williams Rulez
Jan 31st, 2002, 11:20 AM
Hmmm... I think the younger generation will dominate this year again :p