PDA

View Full Version : So what did Gray Davis do?

tazban1
Aug 8th, 2003, 06:36 PM
Just curious. What exactly did he do to get recalled?

Tratree
Aug 8th, 2003, 07:51 PM
He has run the state into the ground. The budget was in the surplus when he took over and it is now $35 BILLION in the red. His handling of the budget accounting makes Enron look like saints. Now of course if the budget is so crappy, you would think he would curb spending, yes? NO.....he has increased spending by 40% over the last few years. Companies are leaving the state left and right. There is also talk that he covered up how bad the budget problems were until he was barely re-elected. On top of that, he runs a dirty nasty campaign and is a sniveling whiner.

Hee....ya think I'll be voting for the recall?

Serendy Willick
Aug 8th, 2003, 08:07 PM
I'm sorry but I dont think Arnold will be any better. Once he gets a look at that monster deficit hell be running his sorry azz out the door. I think he is only doing this to get some sort of attention since his terminator movie (whats that about the 14th one? :rolleyes: ) bombed at the box office.

CondiLicious
Aug 8th, 2003, 08:23 PM
Arnie was on TV this morning and they asked him about some policy (I forget which) and he said something like "I'm sorry I will have to research that" he should have done his research before commiting himself!

Mrs. Peel
Aug 8th, 2003, 10:43 PM
Arnie was on TV this morning and they asked him about some policy (I forget which) and he said something like "I'm sorry I will have to research that" he should have done his research before commiting himself!

It was regarding the FamilyMedical Leave Act...

his rebuttal after saying that he would have to research the subject was that he was all for families, children and stuff :o

Barrie_Dude
Aug 8th, 2003, 10:47 PM
Well, he cannot be worse than Gray Davis and certainly way better than Larry Flynt!

CondiLicious
Aug 8th, 2003, 10:58 PM
Hopefully his wife will give him some kind of advice on things if he wins. Even though they have different political leanings he seems pretty liberal on most things. She could be his Hillary :lol:

Bacardi
Aug 8th, 2003, 11:23 PM
Well, he cannot be worse than Gray Davis and certainly way better than Larry Flynt!

You said it. Gray Davis is an asshole, he's made it a difficult task for the next person in office to get CA back to decent standards.

Arnold will be much better than someone like the king of smut Larry Flynt. Then again, isn't that little Webster guy running too? :eek:

Serendy Willick
Aug 9th, 2003, 07:19 PM
OMG! Gary Coleman is now in the running! and the King of hoes Larry Flynt is in this too. What a free for all.

harloo
Aug 9th, 2003, 08:08 PM

Now this is a shame. Sorry, but I'm not buying Arnolds candidacy either. I think he is not doing this for the people, he's doing it for himself and his party.

I really want Davis out. He had did a horrible job of running california. But the terminator? Nooooo!!!!! I just want an Independent or someone with a different outlook to win. No democrats or republicans.

You even have gary coleman, larry flynt, and dl hugley(took out filing papers) trying to run. This is nothing but a big mess all started by a radical republican group. California is broke as it is, so what they should of done is put this recall off until regular election time.

It will cost our county and extra 1.5 million dollars to do this special election. Where do you think the money will come from? It will not come from the state, it will come from money allocated for after school programs, drug treatment programs. etc..

I just think all politicians suck. I'm really displeased by the way everyone in this state is handling this.

decemberlove
Aug 9th, 2003, 08:58 PM
I just think all politicians suck.

and thats an understatement

cali is the laughingstock of the nation at this point.

i like arianna, not necessarily as a governor, but i seem to agree with her on a lot of issues. she seems better than arnold, gary, larry most definitely

spokenword73
Aug 9th, 2003, 09:02 PM
the worse is yet to come, the ACLU is challenging the use of "punch card ballots" the kind that caused allthe problems in Florida...I wonder what Arnold thinks about that...BTW, wasn't Arnold's father a NAZI???

Iconoclast
Aug 9th, 2003, 10:01 PM
As a general rule, we get the politicians we deserve. They are no worse than the populations electing them. They may even be slightly better.

Arnold's dad won't matter. He was just a rank-and-file member. It's probably difficult to find Austrians or Germans entirely without ancestral affiliation to the Nazis. We are dealing with monopolizing omnibus political movements which it was beneficial for average citizens to belong to, even if they didn't subscribe to the ideology.

spokenword73
Aug 10th, 2003, 12:35 AM
As a general rule, we get the politicians we deserve. They are no worse than the populations electing them. They may even be slightly better.

Arnold's dad won't matter. He was just a rank-and-file member. It's probably difficult to find Austrians or Germans entirely without ancestral affiliation to the Nazis. We are dealing with monopolizing omnibus political movements which it was beneficial for average citizens to belong to, even if they didn't subscribe to the ideology.

Being a "rank and file" Nazi IS going to matter to the voters in South Central and West L.A.-Gray Davis will make sure of that:) as an African American, it's offensive.

~ The Leopard ~
Aug 10th, 2003, 03:06 AM
Iconoclast is exactly right. :worship:

I don't know why people hate politicians so much. Sure, a lot of them are scummy. But I've known quite a few politicians and I call one or two of them friends. On average, they are slightly less scummy than other people who get a bit of power into their hands (in business, the trade unions, the government bureaucracy, etc). The reason is that you have to start out with at least a few social ideals to go into politics, rather than business or something.

As for the Nazi bit, no one is saying that Arnie was ever a Nazi. You can't judge people by the political beliefs of their parents. This is totally irrelevant.

Whether or not someone makes a decent fist of running a state depends on their commonsense and their ability to find and use competent advisors. By and large, their grasp of political detail is not that important. You vote for someone who seems to have that kind of commonsense competence plus values that you broadly agree with. On those criteria, Arnie might not be too bad as governor. I don't think anyone should be too alarmed if he gets in.

Still, I wouldn't vote for Arnie if it was my state. At points of crisis, real policy skills and knowledge can make a difference, and I doubt that he has them. He might well do an okay job, but it would be nice to have someone with more political depth, just in case.

spokenword73
Aug 10th, 2003, 03:29 AM
Iconoclast is exactly right. :worship:

I don't know why people hate politicians so much. Sure, a lot of them are scummy. But I've known quite a few politicians and I call one or two of them friends. On average, they are slightly less scummy than other people who get a bit of power into their hands (in business, the trade unions, the government bureaucracy, etc). The reason is that you have to start out with at least a few social ideals to go into politics, rather than business or something.

As for the Nazi bit, no one is saying that Arnie was ever a Nazi. You can't judge people by the political beliefs of their parents. This is totally irrelevant.

Whether or not someone makes a decent fist of running a state depends on their commonsense and their ability to find and use competent advisors. By and large, their grasp of political detail is not that important. You vote for someone who seems to have that kind of commonsense competence plus values that you broadly agree with. On those criteria, Arnie might not be too bad as governor. I don't think anyone should be too alarmed if he gets in.

Still, I wouldn't vote for Arnie if it was my state. At points of crisis, real policy skills and knowledge can make a difference, and I doubt that he has them. He might well do an okay job, but it would be nice to have someone with more political depth, just in case.

you are right, a person's parents "politics" shouldn't matter, unfortunately it does...the mayor of LA, Jim Hahn was elected primairly because certain communities had a fondness for his dad Kenny. And how many elections have the Kennedys won (or lost) because of their family. Or the Bushes???

~ The Leopard ~
Aug 10th, 2003, 03:36 AM
Well, there are certainly political dynasties. We have them here, too (the Creans, the Beazleys, etc). But I think that's a different phenomenon. It's not like Arnie is over in Austria associating himself with some kind of dynasty of Nazi powerbrokers.

Really, I'd hope that smearing him in that way would lead to a backlash in his favour. As I said, I wouldn't really vote for him myself, but there's a lot to be said for trying to keep politics as clean as possible, despite the scumminess mentioned on this thread.

spokenword73
Aug 10th, 2003, 03:41 AM
clean politics :lol: everybody always start out saying "let's run a postive campaign" but since negative campaigning works, they always resort to that... the attitude seems to be win by whatever means necessary...in fact the Demos are threatening to start a recall petition should a Republican win this recall...
I am probably in the minority, because I'm not totally convinced there is going to be a election in October...the courts have to settle the question of "punch card" ballots first

Ted of Teds Tennis
Aug 10th, 2003, 04:18 AM
Harloo:

I'm not a Californian, so I may be somewhat ignorant of your state's politics. (I'm in New York, where our Assembly Speaker claimed the $57K annual salary was less than minimum wage -- and five years on, the bastard is still Speaker. :mad: )

But my impression has been that California's situation has been caused almost entirely by intrusive government. Perestroika in electric generation (don't call it "deregulation", because all the regulations imposed made the situation just as regulated), and Davis' mendacious attempt to blame the electricity producers is a large part of this, but from everything I've read, the state government has spent profligately in other areas too. Somebody claimed to me that if California simply took 1998 spending and adjusted it for inflation, that there would be almost no deficit. If this is true, than not just the Governor, but the entire legislature, ought to go too.

Isn't there nothing stopping Californians from replacing Davis with another Democrat? :confused: (As for me, I vote Libertarian -- I have no use for the Republicans, who are for just as intrusive government, except that it intrudes in different areas.)

Switzerland has all sorts of referenda/special elections, and it doesn't seem to affect their economy.

disposablehero
Aug 10th, 2003, 05:11 AM
It seems to me to be a not very democratic sort of election. Davis might get twice or more the votes of his nearest challenger and still lose.

LeonHart
Aug 10th, 2003, 05:20 AM
I live in California and I have no clue what is going on!? Last I heard a stripper Mary Carey? was running for govenor? I think I'll vote for her! Oh wait I'm not 18 :p

disposablehero
Aug 10th, 2003, 09:03 AM
I live in California and I have no clue what is going on!? Last I heard a stripper Mary Carey? was running for govenor? I think I'll vote for her! Oh wait I'm not 18 :p

No, don't waste your vote. Vote for Angelyne or Gary Coleman.

King Satan
Aug 10th, 2003, 09:08 AM
Vote Coleman!

Hidden Stillness
Aug 12th, 2003, 12:50 AM
I do not live in California (thank God), so I don't know the total opinion of Gray Davis and what it was based on--real and fake--but this recall is a fraud engineered by yet another rich Republican manipulating the destruction of a Democrat.
This crisis was caused as soon as California deregulated its utility industry from being a budgeted, scandal-less, regulated-monopoly/service, to a corporate competition. I don't know what they expected, but they got the only thing that would ever have happened. A recent Congressional investigation revealed how Enron did it: scheme after scheme, of selling and then buying back their own energy by way of front-corporations, then charging twice; inflated prices; reduced supplies that invented crises of use, with no electricity available because they had cut supplies to those areas, then lied about it to then get government subsidies to cover their "expenses" or "losses"; selling electricity to areas, then not sending it, on the hopes that it would be an oversupply and not needed, and then when it was, the energy was not there, and was a "rolling blackout," or a pretended crisis of "overuse" by consumers; then Enron manipulated the books, etc. All these crimes had "cute" names, detailed in the Congress's report, and they were all unpunished. Of course, they hiked the prices up so incredibly high because they had NO COMPETITION (they always do it this way, corporate buttfucks), and, because California had a consumer protection law that would cover the costs of just such a disaster if it ever happened, the State was stuck with paying it. Add to that a Republican legislature that--yet again--refuses to cooperate with a Democrat (as they did to Clinton all those years), will not raise taxes on rich people, etc., then you have fiscal disaster. The same thing, by the way, happened to both Oregon and Washington state, also caused by the same series of Enron crimes, but there, there are no protections for consumers, so individuals ended up stuck with the entire, hugely inflated bill. Both states had cut-off-notice leaps of over 50%. Funny how the fair and balanced media never mentions that.
Also, if all it takes is screwing up the economy completely to be recalled, then why isn't Bush gone: first President since the disastrous Herbert Hoover to have more jobs lost than gained, record bankrupcies, biggest debt in U.S. history after Clinton handed this asshole a huge surplus on a silver platter, record personal debt, a falling dollar as against other currencies, depressed stock market, etc., etc.
This so-called "popular" recall was financed by Darrell Issa, who organized a propaganda campaign against Davis, then paid for Republican campaign workers to go to California to qualify to sign petitions, then paid them to do so. Is that legal, when THEIR side does it?
Republicans are so totally out of control now: they keep introducing bills with major changes, then demand votes on them moments later. When this just happened again in the U.S. Senate, a group of Democrats left the room during a reading of the bill, with Pete Stark staying behind to officially listen, and went to the Senate library to caucus on what to do. Republicans called the D.C. POLICE not once but THREE TIMES to have them removed! Unreal! Later, they claimed it was because Stark had gotten "threatening," (?!), but police were called to the library each time, not the main room where Stark was, listening to the reading. Things like that are happening, censored, every day (not to mention all of Bush and Cheney's corporate crimes); this recall is just another attempted Republican KILL of a Democrat.
Note also the hypocrisy of the corporate media suddenly treating Arnold Schwarzenegger, a total asshole, like a well-informed and exciting leader-candidate. Same thing they did with Bush.