PDA

View Full Version : Is it hot over there or what?

disposablehero
Aug 8th, 2003, 07:51 AM
Sorry, I have to laugh. When I hear that 95.7F (35.4C) is the all-time record for London, it reminds me how easy you have it over there. I have seen in my lovely hometown +42C AND -52C all within the past 10 years. I guess that trumps the "all-time record 40C" that France is supposedly expecting. Do you people just wear the same clothes in the suimmer and winter or what?

AleOrtu
Aug 8th, 2003, 07:55 AM
NO !

Its really cold here! In the last two weeks the hotest day was yesterday, we had about 12C at 13hs.
But we are having 9C average, and sometimes -3 in the nigh!
I really hate winter, I should love to have 40 and enjoy it!

Vincent
Aug 8th, 2003, 08:12 AM
NO !

Its really cold here! In the last two weeks the hotest day was yesterday, we had about 12C at 13hs.
But we are having 9C average, and sometimes -3 in the nigh!
I really hate winter, I should love to have 40 and enjoy it!
Pffffff....
I wish i had a weather like yours. How dare you hate winter? :eek: :fiery: :p In Hong Kong, the temperature easily hit 35 degree celcius, the global warming should be getting very serious.

doloresc
Aug 8th, 2003, 12:15 PM
Do you people just wear the same clothes in the suimmer and winter or what?

hahaha! :D i just said that on the other thread! the europeans are reluctant to put on a pair of shorts, tank tops, short skirts or sun dresses. it would make life easier in the sweltering heat yet they cling to their wool sweaters. ;)

SJW
Aug 8th, 2003, 12:27 PM
no :rolleyes:

most "English" people will strip to next to nothing if it hits 20 :rolleyes:

i guess the Bajan in me stops that....also most English people couldnt take living in the heat

LMAO@Canada....yea i have family there, i laugh at the pics of them digging in feet of snow :p

gentenaire
Aug 8th, 2003, 12:31 PM
Last year I was in England with a group of Europeans and Americans. It was hot, yet the Europeans didn't have a problem with it and sat outside as much as possible. The Americans, who're supposedly used to it were suffering immensly and were asking to turn on the AC...which there wasn't.

And Dolores, believe me, people do wear shorts and tank tops, always have. Maybe you were looking at policemen or other men in uniform.

doloresc
Aug 8th, 2003, 12:35 PM
no :rolleyes:

most "English" people will strip to next to nothing if it hits 20 :rolleyes:

i guess the Bajan in me stops that....also most English people couldnt take living in the heat

LMAO@Canada....yea i have family there, i laugh at the pics of them digging in feet of snow :p

sweet_sjw, i was speaking of europe in general, and in my experience, the uk isn't immune to this "clinging to sweaters" mentality. perhaps not your generation but on the whole, brits, scots and the irish, do not like exposing a lot of skin, hence the fact when my church group comes over occasionally in the summer with our shorts and t-shirts, the locals think we're strange (albeit just being american attracts enough attention, negative or otherwise). even in italy where it's scorching, the italians tend to stick to some unwritten fashion mode that isn't always conducive to the balmy weather.

doloresc
Aug 8th, 2003, 12:39 PM
Last year I was in England with a group of Europeans and Americans. It was hot, yet the Europeans didn't have a problem with it and sat outside as much as possible. The Americans, who're supposedly used to it were suffering immensly and were asking to turn on the AC...which there wasn't.

And Dolores, believe me, people do wear shorts and tank tops, always have. Maybe you were looking at policemen or other men in uniform.

i'm not surprised by the behavior of the americans because it's no secret how "ugly" we act abroad. :o

oh europeans wear summer clothes but i think the percentage that do is lower than those who cling to being fully clothed during the summer.

beggin beguine, away from work, can you go an entire summer wearing only shorts and tank tops and other summer wear?

Maajken
Aug 8th, 2003, 12:39 PM
hahaha! :D i just said that on the other thread! the europeans are reluctant to put on a pair of shorts, tank tops, short skirts or sun dresses. it would make life easier in the sweltering heat yet they cling to their wool sweaters. ;)
go and post that in the misconception thread ;)

doloresc
Aug 8th, 2003, 12:47 PM
go and post that in the misconception thread ;)

hahaha! very good, super maeike. :) are you wearing shorts in this hot weather? be honest! ;)

SJW
Aug 8th, 2003, 12:52 PM
sweet_sjw, i was speaking of europe in general, and in my experience, the uk isn't immune to this "clinging to sweaters" mentality. perhaps not your generation but on the whole, brits, scots and the irish, do not like exposing a lot of skin, hence the fact when my church group comes over occasionally in the summer with our shorts and t-shirts, the locals think we're strange (albeit just being american attracts enough attention, negative or otherwise). even in italy where it's scorching, the italians tend to stick to some unwritten fashion mode that isn't always conducive to the balmy weather.

LMFAO ok u have no idea how skanky this Brit generation is. :lol:

if they wouldnt get arrested for lewd behaviour....they would go round walking nekkid post June

doloresc
Aug 8th, 2003, 12:56 PM
LMFAO ok u have no idea how skanky this Brit generation is. :lol:

if they wouldnt get arrested for lewd behaviour....they would go round walking nekkid post June

sounds a lot like the brits of the 60's. i'm glad your generation is maintaining the uk tradition of youthful rebellion. :)

gentenaire
Aug 8th, 2003, 01:09 PM
beggin beguine, away from work, can you go an entire summer wearing only shorts and tank tops and other summer wear?

What do you mean? Usually, there are weeks in summer where it's not hot but rainy, on those days I don't wear shorts.

In summer I always wear sandals, nothing else. And we do have a seperate summer wardrobe, if that's what you're asking. I've got plenty of shorts and tank tops.

And believe me, everyone's wearing shorts or a skirt at the moment (uniformed people excepted).

doloresc
Aug 8th, 2003, 01:47 PM
What do you mean? Usually, there are weeks in summer where it's not hot but rainy, on those days I don't wear shorts.

In summer I always wear sandals, nothing else. And we do have a seperate summer wardrobe, if that's what you're asking. I've got plenty of shorts and tank tops.

And believe me, everyone's wearing shorts or a skirt at the moment (uniformed people excepted).

i wear shorts or sun dresses even in the rain (the humidity in the northeast is unbearble even in a thunderstorm).

that's good news about the separate summer wardrobe! :) it's definitely a generational thing because i remember, for example, in the 70's going to a pub in ireland with some of my travelling companions and the locals thinking we were odd for wearing shorts and sneakers to a pub. hahaha. :) good to see the times have changed! i grew up in warm weather and i love it and i think everyone should embrace it as a chance to put away all that heavy winter clothing which some people have trouble parting with. :)

Maajken
Aug 8th, 2003, 02:25 PM
hahaha! very good, super maeike. :) are you wearing shorts in this hot weather? be honest! ;)
actually yes, im wearing shorts and a tank top :p

how else am i gonna get a nice tan huh? ;)

doloresc
Aug 8th, 2003, 02:44 PM
actually yes, im wearing shorts and a tank top :p

how else am i gonna get a nice tan huh? ;)

that's so good to hear, super maeike! :) so many of my european friends fear the sun (these particular friends have that rosy pink pigmentation that burns easily) and cover up as much as possible even in sweltering heat (one is deeply paranoid about skin cancer). i'm so pro-summer wear because our winters are so harsh (my back still aches from shovelling snow--i think it's a waste of money to pay someone else to clear out my driveway so i do it myself) and you have to wear so many layers that it's such a burden to go to work, to run errands, to go shopping, because you have so much on. it was even worse when i was working in the city because the trains were so full and in the winter it became so hot and stuffy on the subway because everyone had so much on. :(

decemberlove
Aug 8th, 2003, 03:09 PM

thats cos we have a/c everywhere. every car, every convenience store, every restaurant, every food market, every mall, etc. its really everywhere. and its not even cool air its COLD air. go to the movie theatres in the summer and you need a sweatshirt cos its so cold in there.

alos, it depends where theyre from. i can take the heat, its the humidity i cant stand. and this whole summer has been nothing but heat/rain/humidity. :mad:

Avid Merrion
Aug 8th, 2003, 04:35 PM
Sorry, I have to laugh. When I hear that 95.7F (35.4C) is the all-time record for London, it reminds me how easy you have it over there. I have seen in my lovely hometown +42C AND -52C all within the past 10 years. I guess that trumps the "all-time record 40C" that France is supposedly expecting. Do you people just wear the same clothes in the suimmer and winter or what?

Yeah, laugh away at our pathetic heatwave. Unfortunately we are not prepared for temperatures above 20C for longer than a few days. We have to make do with public transport that belches out hot air, shops and offices with no air con, cars with no air con and houses with no air con.
Having just spent 50 mins on said hot air belching train (usually takes 20 mins, but the rail tracks can't handle the heat either :rolleyes: ) drove home in a car that has been baking in a car park all day and come into my flat which is fucking boiling too, I am sitting here bollock naked with a fan directed at my dangly bits and my feet in a bucket of cold water apologising to you on behalf of the British nation for having the audacity to get a bit excited about our pathetic heatwave when clearly we have no right to seeing we have not experienced the extremes of temperature that you have in Canada. :rolleyes:

And no, we don't wear the same clothes in summer and winter, but thanks for asking. :p

doloresc
Aug 8th, 2003, 04:40 PM
Yeah, laugh away at our pathetic heatwave. Unfortunately we are not prepared for temperatures above 20C for longer than a few days. We have to make do with public transport that belches out hot air, shops and offices with no air con, cars with no air con and houses with no air con.
Having just spent 50 mins on said hot air belching train (usually takes 20 mins, but the rail tracks can't handle the heat either :rolleyes: ) drove home in a car that has been baking in a car park all day and come into my flat which is fucking boiling too, I am sitting here bollock naked with a fan directed at my dangly bits and my feet in a bucket of cold water apologising to you on behalf of the British nation for having the audacity to get a bit excited about our pathetic heatwave when clearly we have no right to seeing we have not experienced the extremes of temperature that you have in Canada. :rolleyes:

And no, we don't wear the same clothes in summer and winter, but thanks for asking. :p

hurrah! someone in europe has a fan! ;)

Avid Merrion
Aug 8th, 2003, 04:46 PM
hurrah! someone in europe has a fan! ;)
:lol: sorry, I was a bit hot 'n sweaty when I wrote that.

But my fan is doing a grand job! :tape:

gentenaire
Aug 8th, 2003, 04:52 PM
exactly radgegadge!!

Fortunately our trains do have AC, but two days ago it broke down in one of the trains for 20 minutes. A couple of kids ended up in hospital.

Our houses aren't built to keep the heat out, a lot of our houses are designed to get as much sun in as possible.

It's not just the heat, it's the fact that there's no relief, there's no place to cool down. We don't have a pool in our garden, my flat happens to be on the top floor and you know hot air goes up, right?

So go ahead, laugh at us for finding 35C in our flats a bit hot, for having difficulty sleeping when it's still 34C inside when you're going to bed.

And fans are annoying. All your papers fly in every direction, not exactly handy in your office.

Avid Merrion
Aug 8th, 2003, 04:57 PM
exactly radgegadge!!

Fortunately our trains do have AC, but two days ago it broke down in one of the trains for 20 minutes. A couple of kids ended up in hospital.

Our houses aren't built to keep the heat out, a lot of our houses are designed to get as much sun in as possible.

It's not just the heat, it's the fact that there's no relief, there's no place to cool down. We don't have a pool in our garden, my flat happens to be on the top floor and you know hot air goes up, right?

So go ahead, laugh at us for finding 35C in our flats a bit hot, for having difficulty sleeping when it's still 34C inside when you're going to bed.

And fans are annoying. All your papers fly in every direction, not exactly handy in your office.

:yeah: totally agree BB, thankfully I don't have to go to my office next week, that place was like a furnace today. :mad:

doloresc
Aug 8th, 2003, 04:59 PM
beggin beguine, it's just funny to me personally because it doesn't have to be entirely miserable but most of you decide to just tolerate the suffering. please don't think i'm entirely insensitive. i realize that this is an exceptional summer and the reason all of you are reacting like this is because you're not accustomed to this type of weather on a regular basis.

fans can be on 'low' and still be effective. and there is the non-oscillating option as well so your papers don't go flying around.

per4ever
Aug 8th, 2003, 05:15 PM
it's just because these are exceptional circumstances, doloresc. Several people have a fan, but not everyone wants to buy one just for a few days a year. The average temperature in summer is 21 Celcius I think, so we don't need that fan very often.

doloresc
Aug 8th, 2003, 05:17 PM
it's just because these are exceptional circumstances, doloresc. Several people have a fan, but not everyone wants to buy one just for a few days a year. The average temperature in summer is 21 Celcius I think, so we don't need that fan very often.

i understand, per4ever. i just said that in my previous post about it being an "exceptional" summer. :)

Maajken
Aug 8th, 2003, 05:22 PM
that's so good to hear, super maeike! :) so many of my european friends fear the sun (these particular friends have that rosy pink pigmentation that burns easily) and cover up as much as possible even in sweltering heat (one is deeply paranoid about skin cancer).
i normally have a rather white skin too and im blonde so when i go out in the sun, i get sunburnt after half an hour without any suncream. but i never thought that was a reason not to go out or to wear layers and layers of clothes. if you take enough precaution, there's no reason why you wouldnt find yourself some sun :D

i never really had a problem with the heath, i love it :o but like its been said before, it does cause problems on trains etc because we're just not prepared for it. however, that doesnt mean we're totally hopeless either ;)

controlfreak
Aug 8th, 2003, 05:27 PM
radgegadge, don't let that fan get too near to your dangly bits! :devil:

per4ever
Aug 8th, 2003, 05:35 PM
radgegadge, don't let that fan get too near to your dangly bits! :devil:
why not? it would make a nice story for the Sun ;)

doloresc
Aug 8th, 2003, 05:53 PM
i normally have a rather white skin too and im blonde so when i go out in the sun, i get sunburnt after half an hour without any suncream. but i never thought that was a reason not to go out or to wear layers and layers of clothes. if you take enough precaution, there's no reason why you wouldnt find yourself some sun :D

i never really had a problem with the heath, i love it :o but like its been said before, it does cause problems on trains etc because we're just not prepared for it. however, that doesnt mean we're totally hopeless either ;)

you have the right attitude, super maeike! :) many of my european friends won't even come over to america during the summer because of the heat. haha. the only consolation for now is that all of you in europe know that the heat wave is temporary. :)

jbone_0307
Aug 8th, 2003, 11:14 PM
Thats nothing. Ive had temperatures in my city exceed 110 degrees!!!!!!!!!

CondiLicious
Aug 8th, 2003, 11:25 PM
UK in the summer can be really uncomfortable. During the hot periods its true there is no relief from the heat. It's hot outside and even hotter inside :(

I love the weather in Florida. I like humidity as it keeps my lips moist.

ASV_FAN
Aug 9th, 2003, 01:35 AM
disposeable, it's a little something called relativity. if it hits 35C in England it's really something, obviously it isn't where u come from. and no we don't wear the same clothes in winter as we do in summer although ur humour on the subject certainly has me tickled.

Colin B
Aug 9th, 2003, 02:21 AM
so many of my european friends fear the sun (these particular friends have that rosy pink pigmentation that burns easily) and cover up as much as possible even in sweltering heat

An American friend of ours has extremely pale skin and flame-red hair, avoids any exposure to the sun but was brought up in Santa Barbara. When she visits us, she loves the fact that she can sit on the beach (I live on the south coast of England), wearing an ankle length skirt, a long sleeved T-shirt and sun hat, without being labelled a freak!
From spring until autumn, as soon as the sun comes out, you'll see the full range, from naked to fully clothed, woolly jumpers and all.

Anyway, she hated California so much, she now lives and works in Edinburgh (which, after five years, she still mispronounces - lol).

BTW, people are a little more reserved in strict catholic countries in Europe (ie, Ireland and Italy), especially in 'church groups', if you see what I mean. ;)

martinailuv
Aug 10th, 2003, 05:01 AM
i'm leaving to go on hol's in 2 hours. i can't believe it's warmer here than it is in toronto. :eek:

skanky~skanketta
Aug 10th, 2003, 03:28 PM
not too hot here in malaysia.

Vincent
Aug 10th, 2003, 04:22 PM
Hong Kong is EXTREMELY hot.:(

TheBoiledEgg
Aug 10th, 2003, 07:38 PM
UK (Heathrow Airport) went over 100F for 1st time ever today :eek:

decemberlove
Aug 10th, 2003, 08:06 PM
i feel for yawl cos youre not used to this type of weather and not prepared.

but the weather has been crazy the past couple of years, so you should really be prepared for years to come. cos it aint gonna get any colder.

if you want, you can take our weather.
its been 80's-90's with high humidity and its rained for hte past three weeks. its like living in fucking seattle.

[S@nti]
Aug 10th, 2003, 08:42 PM
hot hot hot!!! in Spain :fiery:

Kart
Aug 10th, 2003, 09:00 PM

This pretty much sums up my feelings, except that I'm still wearing my underwear.

Colin B
Aug 10th, 2003, 09:03 PM
UK (Heathrow Airport) went over 100F for 1st time ever today :eek:
And that was later topped by Gravesend in Kent with 100.6F (38.1C)!
Highest temperature in Britain since records began!

disposablehero
Aug 10th, 2003, 09:15 PM
And that was later topped by Gravesend in Kent with 100.6F (38.1C)!
Highest temperature in Britain since records began!

Not bad. Another 6.4F and you will equal the hottest it's been in Winnipeg in the past 10 years. A word of advice though, don't try the -62F Winter.

Colin B
Aug 11th, 2003, 11:15 AM
Not bad. Another 6.4F and you will equal the hottest it's been in Winnipeg in the past 10 years. A word of advice though, don't try the -62F Winter.

Yeah and global warming is only just kicking in. Get your neighbours to vote that moron out of office before it's too late.

Lol @ the -62F! But I dont mind cold winters so much if you can guarantee a hot summer. Here, some years are just made up of 365 overcast, chilly days; no summer, no winter, just dull, dull, dull. That's why we're all a bit excited about breaking the 100F mark.

doloresc
Aug 11th, 2003, 12:09 PM
An American friend of ours has extremely pale skin and flame-red hair, avoids any exposure to the sun but was brought up in Santa Barbara. When she visits us, she loves the fact that she can sit on the beach (I live on the south coast of England), wearing an ankle length skirt, a long sleeved T-shirt and sun hat, without being labelled a freak!
From spring until autumn, as soon as the sun comes out, you'll see the full range, from naked to fully clothed, woolly jumpers and all.

Anyway, she hated California so much, she now lives and works in Edinburgh (which, after five years, she still mispronounces - lol).

BTW, people are a little more reserved in strict catholic countries in Europe (ie, Ireland and Italy), especially in 'church groups', if you see what I mean. ;)

where do you live? brighton? the beaches are nice there but i prefer the beaches on the isle of wight (feels a bit more resort like). i never consider it very summery though because the uk and ireland are just not my idea of a beach vacation (no offense).

i can understand your friend who hates the sun being happier on your english beaches but it's unfortunate that she didn't like her upbringing all that much because santa barbara is beautiful, any time of the year and is one of the nicest cities in all of california. :)

haha re:edinburgh. does she say "edin-BERG (like stefan edBERG)"? ;)

haha re: catholic countries. :) i know exactly what you mean. the italians, at least, still have some joie de vivre. ;)

doloresc
Aug 11th, 2003, 12:11 PM

it reached 106F in manitoba? oh dear, i didn't think it was possible because of your northern locale and knowing how harsh your winters can be usually.

doloresc
Aug 11th, 2003, 12:14 PM
Yeah and global warming is only just kicking in. Get your neighbours to vote that moron out of office before it's too late.

Lol @ the -62F! But I dont mind cold winters so much if you can guarantee a hot summer. Here, some years are just made up of 365 overcast, chilly days; no summer, no winter, just dull, dull, dull. That's why we're all a bit excited about breaking the 100F mark.

that's what i see as typical uk and ireland weather. northern europe as well.

Colin B
Aug 11th, 2003, 04:07 PM
where do you live? brighton? the beaches are nice there but i prefer the beaches on the isle of wight.
Not quite in Brighton! The great thing about Brighton beach
is that there's usually loads going on, bars, sports, music, people selling you stuff etc. There's a real cosmopolitan feel too; sometimes you can walk 100 yards without hearing English spoken!
The drawback is that it's entirely pebbles - no sand. IMO the best beaches in Britain are found in Wales, especially, The Gower (just south of Swansea), miles of clean, flat, deserted sand. They recently won an award for being among the best beaches in Europe. Shhhh, keep it to yourself though, wouldn't want everyone to go and spoil them.

haha re:edinburgh. does she say "edin-BERG (like stefan edBERG)"? ;)
No, she says 'Edin-burrow', it should be more like 'AYdinbra' with a 'short' a, like in Serena.