PDA

View Full Version : McDonald's has a veggie burger?

Sam L
Aug 8th, 2003, 02:55 AM
I saw an ad for it on Australian TV, can anyone confirm? :confused:

Bacardi
Aug 8th, 2003, 02:59 AM
Yeah, talk to Lucy (jennifermarie) about it.... she's the vaginatarian... oops I mean vegatarian. ;)

SM
Aug 8th, 2003, 03:53 AM
i had one. its a chicken pea(not the meat) ;) patty with mayo, beetroot, tomato, lettuce, and umm the bread is different. its ok but i prefer the chicken foldover thingo.

Sam L
Aug 8th, 2003, 04:45 AM
i had one. its a chicken pea(not the meat) ;) patty with mayo, beetroot, tomato, lettuce, and umm the bread is different. its ok but i prefer the chicken foldover thingo.
Hey Stevo, I just had one now. Not bad. My rating (out of 4 stars).

McDonald's veggie burger: ***
Burger King's veggie burger: **1/2

It has less fat than Burger king for sure. :D

I saw the chicken foldover thing, but I can't eat it obviously. :p

So how's uni and stuff? You're back at uni right?

DutchieGirl
Aug 8th, 2003, 06:28 AM
Yeah...those salads and the veggie burger are supposed to be here to stay too. There was something on the news about it yesterday! I heard they are pretty expensive though - is that right? I haven't seen them at the local store yet!

F-R-E-A-K
Aug 8th, 2003, 06:37 AM
yeah isn`t it called 'VEGE' burger lol... i dont have takeaway much but i might ask my folks if i can try one of those!!!

Thanks Steve and Sam!

SM
Aug 8th, 2003, 07:18 AM
hi sam.
its 3rd week back and im only doing 3 subjects but im so busy with things out of uni that i dont have 1 second to breathe. t.g.i.f but im stuck at this computer lab for the next two hours whilst i wait to get a lift home from uni so ill probbaly just browse the net seeing i feel heaps sick and cant be arsed to do anything remotely constructive.

anyway i love health food but i still have plenty of junk food indulgences. i just love my fruits, yohgurts etc and cant last a day without them. :)

are you keeping up the exercise regime sam? im trying to go for a run just 2-3 times/week, and im playing tennis comp on mondays which is heaps for me at this time of the year (im normally lazy)

...this might turn in to one of those health freak threads.

jd4eva
Aug 8th, 2003, 07:40 AM
Answer my PM's Steve ;)

JoeyWinson3.0
Aug 8th, 2003, 10:58 AM
Be VERY careful about if it's actually a vegetarian burger.

Check if it has your country's Vegetarian Society approved mark, or it at least says 100% Vegetarian... if it says that, it should be okay, if they put 100% Vegetarian and got found out it wasn't, they could be in massive trouble, and I doubt McDonalds would take such a risk.

Basically, for something to be classed as vegetarian it cannot be cooked on a surface that has been used to cook meat.

Halardfan
Aug 8th, 2003, 11:31 AM
Its Okish...but I much prefer Burgers that imitate meat than this one which is altogether more vegetably!

Many people misunderstand my reasons for going Veggie...thinking somehow its becuase I didn't like how meat tasted...on the contrary I lived on beefburgers at one time! But the moment I relaised what really went on on getting the meat to my plate I knew I wouldn't eat it again.

There is such a spectrum of people who call themselves vegetarian...from people who check every single label of every food they ever eat and wouldn't dream of eating anying vaguely meat-like, to people who avoid all the obvious stuff and some of the not so obvious stuff(Me)...through to the 'Vegetarians who eat Fish. Who aren't vegetarians by definition.

The amount of people who think Vegetarians can eat fish is STAGGERING. Many cafe's have Fish as their veggie alternative! Pfffff.

Being 'vegetarian' and eating fish is like being teetotal and drinking bacardi.

JoeyWinson3.0
Aug 8th, 2003, 11:55 AM
"I'm a vegetarian but I eat chicken" is another one. It maketh no sense.

By the way there is a name for the so called vegetarians who eat fish... I dunno what it is, but there is a name for em (it's not "Fakes").

We were vegetarians for a bit, me dad works in a rural area and he went all soft when he saw the Spring lambs and decided "I can't eat you", so we all went vegetarian. Then we changed into that "vegetarians that eat fish" category (because fish have a chance to get away, and they will only get eaten by bigger fish anyway ;)).

Then one day I walked past Three Cooks bakery, everyday the smell of bacon sarnies would tempt me every day... and I gave in, I was weak. Before then my bacon sarnies were "Streaky Strips" (some soya protein strips that tasted a bit like bacon) and another thing which contributed to me coming off being a vegetarian was when I was eating some Mini Cheddars, totally unaware they had animal rennet in, I walked past some animal rights protestors who were shouting stuff at people coming out of McDonalds, this rather unattractive scrufy young woman shouted "you with the Cheddars... MURDERER!". So then I thought "do you really want to be associated with these people".

We get the type who check EVERYTHING in our shop, asking us for vegan wines, they are available but they do not actually say on the side, we've got a list of em... basically they dont use rennet in the grape crushing process. And down at Boots you see em going "ooh no I can't have that stuff that will help this illness I've had for the past few weeks, it's got Lanolin in".

Kirt12255
Aug 8th, 2003, 12:04 PM
Be VERY careful about if it's actually a vegetarian burger.

Check if it has your country's Vegetarian Society approved mark, or it at least says 100% Vegetarian... if it says that, it should be okay, if they put 100% Vegetarian and got found out it wasn't, they could be in massive trouble, and I doubt McDonalds would take such a risk.

Basically, for something to be classed as vegetarian it cannot be cooked on a surface that has been used to cook meat.

:wavey: Very Good point!!! Beat me to it!!

I was a manager at Hungry Jacks (Burger King Franchise) for 2 years and they get away with it by saying "Vegie" burger and not "Vegetarian" burger. It is a burger that has vegies in in, that's all.

ie...The Vegie Burger has 3 types of cheese in the burger, and also contains whole egg mayonaise and slice of cheese.

The Burger is cooked in the same Fryer as the chicken nuggets and Ocean Catch.

***Most Alarmingly*** Fries are not vegetarian!!! As part of the pre-cooking process they use Beef Tallo (sp?) which is a beef fat as part of the preserving process as they come frozen. "Traces" of this can be found in your'e fries.

:wavey: Sorry for any Vegetarians....but you have the right to know...if you don't believe me, go to your'e nearest Maccas or Hungry Jacks (Burger King) and ask them to read the box....many managers aren't told about it.

I know that when I was a manager there was a report in the Herald-Sun about it and I was asked to pass any phone-calls onto my District Manager.

Please note we used McCain Fries, I'm not sure if the process is the same elsewhere.

:wavey:

Kirt12255
Aug 8th, 2003, 12:08 PM
:wavey: The Beef are on the fries before they get to the store, thought I should verify that...and stores DO cook in Vegetable Oil, and quite often say that :wavey:

Kirt12255
Aug 8th, 2003, 12:32 PM
The mcdonalds site says that although they cant garentee it is fully meat free because it is cooked in the same kitchen as the other products that they cook the burgers on a different fryer etc to try to make them vegetarian friendly.

Unless they have a fryer "purely" for Vegie Burgers they can't....yes in their store they can say "We cook in Vegetable Oil", however, if it is cooked amongst their "Fries", they will score beef-fat (small amounts mind you)....no fast-food store is set up to have a fryer for a product that does not have the capacity to make money. They take at least 30 minutes to heat up....and before that you would have to melt new oil (it comes frozen) and clean the whole thing out....."sorry, but your'e veggie burger will be ready in...hmmm...about 1 hour and 15 mins!! LOL

Most stores in fast food have 4 fryers...3 for fries and one for "Specs"....I'd just ask them if they are going to cook them with the fries LOL !!! :wavey:

It's something that is hidden and shouldn't be.

Kirt12255
Aug 8th, 2003, 12:48 PM
the veggie burgers are premade by sanitarium and arnt deepfried they r just toasted ... and apprently used with special dedicated utensils for the vege burgers.

:wavey: Yuppers...I understand that....all I was saying is question what else they are being cooked with :wavey:

Sam L
Aug 8th, 2003, 12:56 PM
Kirt, thanks for your input. You'll see above that I rated that BK vege burger lower than McDonald's.

This is because it tastes better (and probably because of higher fat % and the way it's cooked like you said with meat cooking oils). McDonald's I think is totally meat-free, so that's why it gets a higher rating from me. You can actually taste it. Yoshie is right, they're from Sanitarium and I trust them, I say they're meat-free.

But you know what. The McDonald's burger is smaller and costs more. :o Definitely not value for money, but it's better for you.

Steve - I am still exercising regularly and since I've moved, I'm already getting about 30 minutes walking a day anyway and drinking plenty of water at work. Except at work, the fast food places around the city really tempts me, although I'm mainly sticking to soups and pretzels. It's just that as soon as I found out about this McD burger, I knew I had to taste-test. LOL!

decemberlove
Aug 8th, 2003, 03:30 PM
lacto-ovo-vegetarian: eats dairy products & eggs but not meat and fish
ovo-vegetarian: eats eggs but no meat/chicken/fish/dairy
pollo-vegetarians: eats everything except red meat

then, of course, there are crazy vegans, no animal products at all. no butter, no dairy, no leather, no suede, etc.

id shoot myself if i had to give up dairy and chicken!

Fantastic
Aug 8th, 2003, 03:50 PM
How many voluntary vegetarians actually eat from takeaway outlets? They'd be hypocrites if they were opposed to eating animals but then purchased a vegeburger from McDonald's.

I like this new McDonald's menu though. I haven't tried anything on it yet, but I like the options available. The chicken foldover looks nice. The only shame is that these new items don't have catchy names like the "Big Mac," the "Quarter Pounder," the "Filet-o-Fish," the "McFlurry," or "McNuggets."

Bacardi
Aug 8th, 2003, 06:19 PM
I guess that makes me a pollo-vegetarians: eats everything except red meat. Because I simply cannot eat red meat, it disgusts me. The same for pork, I will not touch it.

Those of you looking for a good veggie burger, or even veggie chicken substitue. Here in the US, in the freezers where they keep the pizza and TV dinners there is something called 'Boca Burgers', and they say 100% vegetarian. I really like them, when I'm in the mood for something that's like a hamburger. You'll have to look for them, but the entire line of "Boca _______" has different things you can get as well.

Boca Burgers Website (http://www.bocaburger.com/)

matthias
Aug 8th, 2003, 07:32 PM
in germany they have a Veggie-burger, never had one

Halardfan
Aug 8th, 2003, 10:38 PM
Here is a statement from The Vegetarian Society in the UK, which I hope might lay to rest the ghost that veggies are allowed to eat fish...

Vegetarianism – There’s nothing fishy about it!

This summer The Vegetarian Society is launching a brand new campaign to improve awareness amongst caterers and restaurateurs that vegetarians don’t eat fish!

The ‘Fishconception’ Campaign has been developed in response to a common experience reported by many vegetarians trying to order vegetarian food in omnivorous restaurants. Surprisingly, significant numbers of food-trade establishments are labouring under the misconception that vegetarians eat fish. Clearly this myth needs to be debunked, so The Vegetarian Society, a registered educational charity is taking the helm and steering caterers in the right direction.

All the best,
Chris Ba (Chris hereby declares himself Pollo-Teetotal... he only drinks Malibu, Beer and the odd Bacardi Breezer.) ;) :D

Not eating red met is a real step in the right direction...but it doesn't make one a Veggie.

JoeyWinson3.0
Aug 8th, 2003, 11:27 PM
Reminds me of when Alan Partridge is talking through an imaginary conversation between him and Chris Rea, inviting him for a barbecue...

"By the way, my wife's a vegetarian,
Doesn't matter Chris, she can have fish,
No she can't have that,
OH WELL FORGET IT! You people!"

Until they find a vegetarian alternative to a Shish Kebab, I aint going back.

Colin B
Aug 9th, 2003, 01:16 AM
"By the way, my wife's a vegetarian,
Doesn't matter Chris, she can have fish,
No she can't have that,
OH WELL FORGET IT! You people!"

There's a great episode of The Royale Family where Anthony brings his girlfriend (a veggie) home for birthday tea:

Nanna: "She can't eat meat?"
Barbara: "No mum, she's Vegetarian"
Nanna: "Well can't she have a bit of ham?"
Everyone: "No, she's VEGETARIAN!!"
Pause.........
Nanna "But what if you sliced it very, very thin?"

BTW - Veggies travelling to Spain beware: Vegetarian meals will sometimes contain ham because they don't consider it to be 'proper' meat!

azza
Aug 9th, 2003, 01:22 AM
Ewwwwwwwww Veggies

JoeyWinson3.0
Aug 9th, 2003, 08:29 PM
lol thats it "can she have wafer thin ham? oh dear, oh it must be awful for you"

nasty nick#2
Aug 9th, 2003, 08:50 PM
I'm no rabitt, i want meat! :lick: