PDA

View Full Version : Hot weather: how do you keep cool?

NaturalBlues
Aug 7th, 2003, 06:28 PM
Yahoo:
"Clouds and a light morning rain kept the mercury from climbing to the record-breaking peak of 104 degrees that had been forecast in Belgium."

Yes it's hot hot hot in all of Europe and for some people (like me ;) ) that have to study it's a disaster. What do you do to prevent your brains from melting? :p

King Satan
Aug 7th, 2003, 06:31 PM
I get a wet blanket, and wrap myself up like a burrito.

[S@nti]
Aug 7th, 2003, 06:31 PM
lol In Seville (Spain) it was 56 some days ago... :rolleyes: :p

~*Alma*~
Aug 7th, 2003, 06:33 PM
I felt like sitting in the freezer today ;)
but I just eat a lot of ice-cream and put ice in my drinks :)

doloresc
Aug 7th, 2003, 06:33 PM
wear white or other light colors.

cotton preferrably or linen, if you can afford it.

sandals, flip flops as often as possible.

drink lots of water. no sodas or alcohol if possible (it'll dehydrate you)

eat fruit and salads (can include grilled meat of sorts), yogurts and ice cream. stay away from heavy and fried food.

GET A FAN! :)

NaturalBlues
Aug 7th, 2003, 06:35 PM
You spanish people are used to this kind of weather ;)
I live in Belgium and I demand RAIN :p

56C! :bolt:

[S@nti]
Aug 7th, 2003, 06:38 PM
lol :p I know :p I think I want rain too :p

[S@nti]
Aug 7th, 2003, 06:40 PM
look at this http://www.elpais.es/elpaismedia/ultimahora/media/200308/07/espana/20030807elpepunac_8_I_LCO.jpg

Sonf@
Aug 7th, 2003, 06:43 PM
lol poor Sevilla. Here in the North (Asturias) The most we reached were like 49 or so.

Sonf@
Aug 7th, 2003, 06:44 PM
The worst thing is that when it rains it causes warm-heat which is even worse, at least for me.

[S@nti]
Aug 7th, 2003, 06:44 PM
:sad: lucky you :o ... :fiery:

NaturalBlues
Aug 7th, 2003, 06:45 PM
LOL who the hell takes a tour on a bus when it's that hot?

King Satan
Aug 7th, 2003, 06:48 PM
LOL who the hell takes a tour on a bus when it's that hot?
the ppl in the picture.

:p

gentenaire
Aug 7th, 2003, 06:50 PM
I just suffer

[S@nti]
Aug 7th, 2003, 06:52 PM
lol :p not me ;)

doloresc
Aug 7th, 2003, 06:53 PM
a question for the europeans:

are you just as miserable during very cold weather? i know most of you (especially in the north) don't like the heat but how do you fare during bitterly cold temperatures?

gentenaire
Aug 7th, 2003, 06:56 PM
a question for the europeans:

are you just as miserable during very cold weather? i know most of you (especially in the north) don't like the heat but how do you fare during bitterly cold temperatures?

We all have central heating, so cold weather isn't a problem. It's cold when you need to ride your bike to work, but that's it. The temperatures inside are normal.

With hot weather OTOH, temperatures inside are the same as outside in a lot of places, downstairs it's usually cooler, but if you happen to live on the top floor, it's hot hot hot. It's not worth getting AC for those few days of hot weather we get.

Mase
Aug 7th, 2003, 06:57 PM
I get naked and run through my sprinkler :o

NaturalBlues
Aug 7th, 2003, 07:00 PM
we don't really have "bitterly cold" weather (that's more something for the scandinavian countries I think) but it doesn't bother me as much as hot weather.
You can always turn up the heat or wear an extra sweater in the winter but when it's hot there's a limit to the number of clothes you can take off ;)

And you won't find many houses that have airconditioning here so there's nowhere to escape the heat.

Giuliano
Aug 7th, 2003, 07:01 PM
I like the heat (except the sweating part :fiery: ). I'll be less than happy when the temperature hits -20C in winter here (-4F).

NaturalBlues
Aug 7th, 2003, 07:02 PM
I get naked and run through my sprinkler :o

excellent idea.. except I don't have a sprinkler :)
you should see my lawn :eek: it's brown instead of green lol

[S@nti]
Aug 7th, 2003, 07:02 PM
-20???!!! omg :eek:

mboyle
Aug 7th, 2003, 09:02 PM
Wear as little clothing as possible. That means really really light spaghetti tank tops for girls, and just shorts for guys:p .

Miss Thang
Aug 7th, 2003, 10:06 PM
Stay in the house and get the A/C goin or go to the show and sneak into a bunch other movies so u can stay in the A/C all day. :cool:

tazban1
Aug 7th, 2003, 10:18 PM
I don't mind hot weather - it's humidity that I can't stand. I have central air, but it's 90 degrees (Farenheit of course) and I just have my windows open. Yet, it could be 70 degrees and I'll but the AC on if there's a lot of humidity.

On hot days, I'll just open the windows if there's a breeze and get a fan. If I'm inside, I walk around in my underwear. If I'm going out, I just put my hair in a pony tail and wear skimpy clothes. The only problem with that is that people are so prudish around here - I once wore this backless sundress that went down to my knees and some girl yelled "slut" at me; nevermind that it's the middle of the summer. :rolleyes:

controlfreak
Aug 8th, 2003, 12:19 AM
I don't believe that 55 degrees thing. Okay, it could reach 55C out in the sun, but all official meteorological temperatures are supposed to be measured in an environment where there is no direct sunlight falling on the thermometer. That way it measures the temperature of the air, rather than the temperature of some mercury/alcohol which is being frazzled under direct sunlight.
My guess is that the owners of the thermometer pictured in Seville do not know this. Humans can survive for a while under 55C rays, but they'd soon be dead if the air was 55C (as their bodies would be unable to get rid of any heat). So it's not a very accurate guide if you want to compare it with other temperatures from around the world.

Sam L
Aug 8th, 2003, 12:48 AM
Go down to the beach of course. What else? :confused:

decemberlove
Aug 8th, 2003, 12:49 AM
i have a/c and live by the beach

but cant you guys just go swimming?

Ting
Aug 8th, 2003, 01:26 AM
I spend half of my day staying in water and the other half in a/c lol

SM
Aug 8th, 2003, 02:55 AM
beach is 30 second stroll away, but its too darn cold :(...i want my tan :(

caramel
Aug 8th, 2003, 10:06 AM
Hot weather? Its snowing here! :lol:

The Crow
Aug 8th, 2003, 10:30 AM
I'd rather have this hot weather than freezing anyday. I hate cold weather. I love rain though :bounce:

Nicoleke
Aug 8th, 2003, 10:42 AM
I want a little more " wind " please lol ;) !!!!!

Maajken
Aug 8th, 2003, 11:03 AM
there's quite a bit of wind here today so it's ok, but usually i just sit outside (while im studying) in the sun and with my feet in a tub of cold water. works like a treat for me :D

doloresc
Aug 8th, 2003, 12:11 PM
in my experience in travelling to europe (over several decades), i've deduced that the reason many europeans have trouble acclimating (pun intended) to hot weather is because of clothing. for such an open-minded group of people, SOME of you can be prudish when it comes to wearing something as basic as shorts. i was in zagreb in the late 80's and it was a scorching 95F and people still wore jeans (and women wore long skirts) as they were walking about the city visibly uncomfortable in the heat.

SJW
Aug 8th, 2003, 12:15 PM
walk around in (next to) nothing :o

TheBoiledEgg
Aug 8th, 2003, 12:43 PM
look at this http://www.elpais.es/elpaismedia/ultimahora/media/200308/07/espana/20030807elpepunac_8_I_LCO.jpg

that board isn't in the shade so its not accuarate :p
temps in the sun often hit 70C in places but temps only count taken in the shade.

[S@nti]
Aug 8th, 2003, 08:10 PM
lol this is in the sun but in the shade today it was 45 so... :rolleyes:

NaturalBlues
Aug 9th, 2003, 10:25 AM
in my experience in travelling to europe (over several decades), i've deduced that the reason many europeans have trouble acclimating (pun intended) to hot weather is because of clothing. for such an open-minded group of people, SOME of you can be prudish when it comes to wearing something as basic as shorts. i was in zagreb in the late 80's and it was a scorching 95F and people still wore jeans (and women wore long skirts) as they were walking about the city visibly uncomfortable in the heat.

:confused: really ppl over are not prudish whatsoever about taking their clothes off.. everybody walks around in shirts and tops, or even bikinis.
I wouldn't compare "late 80's croatia" to "2003 western europe". ;)
Also some people are not allowed to show so much skin because of their religion, a lot of turkish and moroccan ppl in belgium still wear head scarves (sp?) and long dark clothes, 40degrees or not.

Barrie_Dude
Aug 9th, 2003, 06:14 PM
:lick: Iced Tea :lick:

Princess Fiona
Aug 9th, 2003, 09:40 PM
What do I do? Well, I've been drinking a lot of Diet Coke... :eek: I waaaas supposed to be giving this drink up!! But but, it's been hooooot... *whines* ;) In this area we had torrential rain for two weeks and now it is hot... I much prefer the heat to all that rain... *phew* :cool: I guess it is not boring... :)

This post was brought to you in association with the Coca Cola Corporation of America? :eek: lol!! ;)