PDA

View Full Version : FedCup: Final Round

tenn_ace
Aug 7th, 2003, 12:17 PM
According to Tarpischev (Russian captain) US is the front runner to host the final round. They are offering $2m. Russia can afford only $0.5m. He didn't say anything about France or Belgium.

Countries have time until Aug 13th to submit their applications.

tenn_ace
Aug 7th, 2003, 12:18 PM
I just hope if the final round to be held in the US, it would be somewhere on the East Coast so that i coud see Russian girls play.

the cat
Aug 9th, 2003, 12:51 AM
The East Coast draws better crowds for women's tennis than the West Coast does. The crowds in Los Angeles for last years prestigious year end championships were terrible! :mad: As are the crowds for this years Los Angeles WTA tournament. I would love to see the New York area or Florida get the Fed Cup Final. :D

fresh2flash
Aug 9th, 2003, 08:49 AM
US is the front runner to host the final round. They are offering $2m.

:eek: tenn_ace, what does that mean? Do they offer $2m to the guys who vote? Otherwise I don`t understand how the money can be a factor here.

I`d prefer the tie to be played in Belgium, cause I want to go there. :) France and Russia are also acceptable. But to US I can`t go. :(

Dava
Aug 9th, 2003, 09:16 AM
If I want to see this then I would want Belgium or France!

tenn_ace
Aug 9th, 2003, 12:04 PM
:eek: tenn_ace, what does that mean? Do they offer $2m to the guys who vote? Otherwise I don`t understand how the money can be a factor here.

I`d prefer the tie to be played in Belgium, cause I want to go there. :) France and Russia are also acceptable. But to US I can`t go. :(

Fresh, apparently the country that will host the final 4, has to pay to ITA (I think) for the rights... everybody is trying to make money.

my understading from the article is that France is not even trying to get the final 4... so your best bet is Beligium, fresh

the cat
Aug 9th, 2003, 03:17 PM
Fresh, why can't you come to America if the Fed Cup Final is played here?

fresh2flash
Aug 9th, 2003, 04:25 PM
Fresh, apparently the country that will host the final 4, has to pay to ITA (I think) for the rights...

Sounds strange to me. It`s not an auction, is it? If there are certain payments to the ITA, they should be strictly designated. Not that the country that pays the most gets the final. In that case it will be held in the States all the time.

Cat, I`d love to go. Maybe I will. But to go to Belgium or even to Russia means to me just to buy tickets and in few hours I`m there. To go to USA I have to arrange many formalities. I hate it.

the cat
Aug 9th, 2003, 08:03 PM
I understand Fresh. Travelling to America from Russia can't be easy. I think the Fed Cup Finals will be played in Belgium. But I wish they were using the Davis Cup format. I don't like having 4 countries playing the finals in 1 location like they do in Fed Cup. I wish the Fed Cup Semi's was after the U.S. Open and then play the finals after the year end WTA championships.

saab95
Aug 10th, 2003, 06:59 PM
Moscow mayor Luzhkov can to find money. If he will, Moscow'll get the final. But I'm not sure about his will.

tenn_ace
Sep 27th, 2003, 03:11 PM
I know that it's almost 2 months away, but if there no serious injuries, the singles are pretty much locked: Elena and Nastya...

doubles is a lot more complicated... we have 4 doubles players ranked high:

Sveta K. #8
Lena L. #11
Lena D. #12
Nadia #13

who should coaches pick?

I'd go with Nadia and Lena L. They are having a good tournament in Leipzig, might play Moscow again, probably did play before. Sveta K. is still a raw doubles player with little experience. Lena D. should be saved to play singles.

TheBoiledEgg
Sep 27th, 2003, 03:18 PM
the thing is by picking Lena L means only 3 top single players.
still time to go, if Lena and Nadya continue on then it good be good. Lena will go back to Cara soon anyway.

#1 Lena D
#2 Nastya
#3 Nadya
#4 pick. is the tough one
its gonna be on carpet not the best surface for Vera or Sveta.

doubles is the final match so its not like davis cup right in middle where its more crucial.

goldenlox
Sep 27th, 2003, 03:26 PM
I would wait until the last minute to pick. Because of the chance of an injury.
Right now, it looks like Nastya and Alyona have separated from the pack.
But things can change quickly. Look at the French Open.
I would want Lena L. there. She's a Wimbledon champion. And a veteran of pressure situations.

ys
Sep 27th, 2003, 03:34 PM
We haven't seen any of Vera indoors yet. I do think that we will have Top 4 singles players selected.
Unless some miracle happens. Like Lina K. winning Moscow.

Elena D. and Nadya are decent doubles players, so I would not really worry about doubles selection. No other country will be using a permanent doubles combination, so we won't be in a worse posiion than others.

So, at this point I'd go with Alyona, Nastya, Nadya and Vera.

tenn_ace
Sep 27th, 2003, 03:39 PM
didn't Vera say that she likes carpet (since she grew up on it)?

goldenlox
Sep 27th, 2003, 11:48 PM
The last Fed Cup team was picked solely by the rankings at that time.
Remember Lena B. was chosen after losing 3 & 1 to Masha at Wimbledon.
So this team is set, if that's still the selection method.
Vera Z. will not get caught from behind. She has too few points to defend.

tenn_ace
Oct 9th, 2003, 02:09 PM
French seem to be in a good form: Amelie is always up there. I was hoping that she'd be alone, but if Mary agrees to play FedCup, it's going to be tough for us to def. them in the semi

ally baker
Oct 9th, 2003, 02:50 PM
didn't Vera say that she likes carpet (since she grew up on it)?
Vera says carpet is her favorite surface... but I would say her game would suit the slower surfaces.

I'd reconsider having Nadya play, however... she's been terrible the past 2 weeks.

goldenlox
Oct 9th, 2003, 07:48 PM
The goal should be to win the Fed Cup, not to reward players for playing a full year.
Since some players seem to be playing at less than their best form after a long, hard season, a healthy top level player who is mentally fresh like Elena Bovina should be considered for the team.

ys
Oct 9th, 2003, 08:37 PM
The goal should be to win the Fed Cup, not to reward players for playing a full year.
Since some players seem to be playing at less than their best form after a long, hard season, a healthy top level player who is mentally fresh like Elena Bovina should be considered for the team.

I still believe that Tarpishev should stick with the traditional method of selection. By rankings. And that would be one of three:

-two top singles players and two top doubles players in case of those two doubles players make a permanent team and at least one of them can be considered as a backup singles player

or

-three top singles players and top doubles player if that top doubles player is not one of three top singles players

or

- four top singles players

At least the fixed method of selection would exclude selection as a potential source of conflicts, and that every player would know what they have to do to be selected.

tenn_ace
Oct 9th, 2003, 08:47 PM
and that's what I was saying all along...

I'm glad you changed your opinion, ys ;)

fresh2flash
Oct 9th, 2003, 09:15 PM
Tarpishev doesn`t like Nadya very much and Larissa - Lina. I guess these two don`t have a real chance to be in the team.

ys
Oct 9th, 2003, 09:18 PM
and that's what I was saying all along...

I'm glad you changed your opinion, ys ;)

Did I change it?

ys
Oct 9th, 2003, 09:19 PM
Tarpishev doesn`t like Nadya very much and Larissa - Lina. I guess these two don`t have a real chance to be in the team.

Tarpishev didn't like Panova either, yet she got selected when the team needed her.

fresh2flash
Oct 9th, 2003, 09:25 PM
Of course. They are on the list. But they are behind Alyona, Nastya, Vera, Elena B. and likely Elena L and Sveta as well.

TheBoiledEgg
Oct 10th, 2003, 03:19 AM
Seeing how SLOW the courts were last week in Moscow, Vera Z has to be in team.

saab95
Oct 10th, 2003, 08:28 AM
4.10 Lena D. said they are thinking to put smth. under Gerflor to make it faster...
http://linastar.boxmail.biz/cgi-bin/guide.pl?action=article&id_razdel=32928&id_article=44353

But ther's Surface: Carpet (Taraflex) on of. FC site
What's the difference?
http://linastar.boxmail.biz/cgi-bin/guide.pl?id_razdel=32928&action=article

ys
Oct 10th, 2003, 07:13 PM
We need to get Vera winning matches indoors ASAP. Her best level beats the best level of any other Russian player. And it seems to start looking like Vera might have become a key player in the finals, with Dementieva's slump seemingly inevitable and Myskina having to spend a lot of energy and nerves on her last push to LA. By Fed Cup both will probably be drained and unable to really perform. We need Vera. She just needs to get over that barrier of actually winning a winnable matches against Top players. We need someone else. It wold be just great if Nadya or Elena B. could peak by then.

goldenlox
Oct 10th, 2003, 09:45 PM
There's still a lot of time before a decision has to be made.
Unless it's ranking only.
But I still say the goal is to win, and that makes this selection process important.

ally baker
Oct 10th, 2003, 11:09 PM
ys, I'm curious why you say Vera's best game is better than the rest of the Russians...

ys
Oct 11th, 2003, 05:58 AM
ys, I'm curious why you say Vera's best game is better than the rest of the Russians...

From all Russian players that I've seen she seems to have the best combination of timing, power and precision on her shots. Alyona has more power, but her timing and accuracy isn't that good. Nastya has great timing on backhand side, but forehand is not that big of a shot. Vera is great at taking the ball very early and giving it a good whack. When Vera is on her game, she beats pretty much everyone the world. Fix her mind adn you have a top 5 palyer easily.

ally baker
Oct 12th, 2003, 03:05 PM
When has Vera beat everyone in the world though? :confused: Her only top 10 win was Venus.

I think Vera is the most consistent of the top Russians.

I think Dementieva and Bovina on their best games are more dangerous than Vera.

goldenlox
Oct 12th, 2003, 03:10 PM
I don't quite understand that either.
And if fixing Vera's mind means maturing, it will happen over years, not a month or two.

tenn_ace
Oct 12th, 2003, 04:40 PM
I don't quite understand that either.
And if fixing Vera's mind means maturing, it will happen over years, not a month or two.

it might need more than just few years... she really does need help.

the cat
Oct 12th, 2003, 04:59 PM
GL has dominated this debate with her precision and common sense. :D

Shamil Tarpischev should wait until the week before the Fed Cup semifinals to select the team. And he has to choose a doubles player like Petrova who can play singles well because Elena Dementieva or Anastasia Myskina might be tired from playing so much tennis this fall. My first choice is to have Lina Krasnoroutskaya team with Dementieva for the doubles. And then Lina could play the singles if Dementieva or Myskina were injured. But I just don't trust Lina with playing such an important singles match. Although I suppose Lina would be Tarpischev's fourth choice on the team to play a singles match after Myskina, Dementieva, Petrova or Zvonareva. I think he should choose Nadia over Vera because of her strong first serve. I hope the Russian foursome to make up the Fed Cup team should be Myskina, Dementieva, Petrova and Krasnoroutskya. But if Tarpischev is worried about Dementieva playing too much tennis and being too tired to play 2 singles matches and a doubles match then he won't choose Lina to be on the team. The only reason for Lina to be on the team is to play doubles with Elena.

Can the Fed Cup team be changed after the semifinals for the finals? I would think so.

But no matter what players Tarpischev chooses for the Russian Fed Cup team, there will be hurt feeling and some girls will be bitter about being left off the team. Especially someone like Vera Zvonareva who is so patriotic about Russia and so passionate about her tennis. And with the young Russina's on the move, such as Vera Zvonareva, Svetlana Kuznetsova and Maria Sharapova, choosing a Russian Fed Cup team in the future will be very difficult because Tarpischev will have to leave off some very good tennis players.

Easy on Vera Z. guys. She has beaten Venus Williams in a grand slam tournament. No other Russina has.

ys
Oct 12th, 2003, 10:09 PM
Easy on Vera Z. guys. She has beaten Venus Williams in a grand slam tournament. No other Russina has.

"grand slam" are redundant words in this statement.

the cat
Oct 13th, 2003, 12:14 AM
Why ys? The facts are the facts. Vera Z. has come up with the goods against a Williams sister in a grand slam the way no other Russina has. And I'm sure Shamil Tarpischev will remember that when it comes time to naming the Fed Cup team.

ally baker
Oct 13th, 2003, 12:31 AM
the cat, we're not being hard on Vera...

I just commented that her best game is not be as good as other Russian's best games... and that Vera is more consistent.

As far as Venus match... that is only 1 match... that was 5 months ago. Vera's game has dropped since then. As you know, the Russian girls' form change every week... and Vera was already on the team against Slovenia.

I'd like Tarpischev to go with the hot hand for the 3rd singles player... because Myskina and Dementieva deserve to there already. I'd say Bovina would be that player now. There's a good chance that will change... Vera or Nadya could start playing well again, maybe Sharapova proves she can get wins over better players.

I just hope he doesn't go by ranking... and that allows a struggling Vera and Nadya to be on the team.

ys
Oct 13th, 2003, 12:58 AM
Why ys? The facts are the facts. Vera Z. has come up with the goods against a Williams sister in a grand slam the way no other Russina has. And I'm sure Shamil Tarpischev will remember that when it comes time to naming the Fed Cup team.

What I mean, the cat, is that no other Russian player ever beaten Venus in any tournament..

the cat
Oct 13th, 2003, 01:11 AM
None? Wow! Then Vera stands alone. :)

You make good points Ally. And I also hope Tarpischev doesn't just go by the WTA rankings to choose the Russian Fed Cup team.

I think Elena Bovina is a very interesting player as a Fed Cup singles possibility after Anastasia Myskina and Elena Dementieva. Bovina has played Fed Cup before and she has a big game. And she had a fine week in Filderstadt. So Bovina is probably in the Fed Cup mix. But her lack of a Russian doubles partner could hurt her selection chances.

ys
Oct 13th, 2003, 02:50 AM
I assure you that Dementieva, Myskina and Zvonareva will be selected no matter what. The question is who is the fourth player selected.

tenn_ace
Oct 13th, 2003, 03:17 AM
Petrova.

the cat
Oct 13th, 2003, 03:29 AM
What about injuries and poor play, ys? That could change the makeup of the Russian Fed Cup team. Vera Z. as good a singles player as she is, is not a good doubles player. And I think that will work against her in the selection process.

ys
Oct 13th, 2003, 03:34 AM
What about injuries and poor play, ys? That could change the makeup of the Russian Fed Cup team. Vera Z. as good a singles player as she is, is not a good doubles player. And I think that will work against her in the selection process.

Not a good doubles player? Didn't she and Nastya make it to the finals of Kremlin Cup in the same venue on the same surface just week ago? And Vera gets along very well with all Russian players.

TheBoiledEgg
Oct 13th, 2003, 12:43 PM
cat... you're either too optimistic or way too paranoid.
there's no in between.

as for Lina playing in Fed Cup
its not gonna happen
she's basically feeling the effects of playing tennis with no-off season due to her injury last year which caused her to play right into December.

She needs some recuperation time, thats why she pulled out of Pattaya.

the cat
Oct 13th, 2003, 03:13 PM
Eggy, while I tend to be too optimistic where the Russina's are concerned, I'm not overboard optimistic like you are concerning the ability of Russian tennis players.

ys, even though Vera Z. is very intense and emotional I'm pleased she gets along well with her tennis playing compatriots! :D

ys
Oct 13th, 2003, 09:53 PM
Mauresmo and Pierce teaming up in doubles.. Do you think it means something ... or nothing?

the cat
Oct 14th, 2003, 12:36 AM
Uh oh! Amelie Mauresmo and Mary Pierce teaming up means the French are bringing their muscle to Moscow! :eek: And I was hoping their second singles player would be Moscow born Tatiana Golovin. ;)

tenn_ace
Oct 14th, 2003, 01:10 AM
Uh oh! Amelie Mauresmo and Mary Pierce teaming up means the French are bringing their muscle to Moscow! :eek: And I was hoping their second singles player would be Moscow born Tatiana Golovin. ;)

you're dreaming, right? if not, have you washed fruits before you eat them, the cat? :D

the cat
Oct 14th, 2003, 02:14 PM
I always wash the fruits before I eat them. ;) And I especially like red grapes. :lick:

ys
Oct 14th, 2003, 02:25 PM
I always wash the fruits before I eat them. ;) And I especially like red grapes. :lick:

What about valeriana root? Do you wash it too?

the cat
Oct 14th, 2003, 02:40 PM
Nyet, I don't wash valerian roots becuase I don't eat them. But I probably should because it's supposed to aid people in getting better sleep. I bet you didn't think I knew what valerian root was. ;)

ys
Oct 14th, 2003, 04:18 PM
Nyet, I don't wash valerian root becuase I don't eat it. But I probably should because it's supposed to aid people in getting better sleep. I bet you didn't think I knew what valerian root was. ;)

I thought you might now know the name. But I knew you would know the smell.

vaiva
Oct 14th, 2003, 04:27 PM
Oh, LOL.

The cat, unless you're an imposter you should love it ;)

the cat
Oct 14th, 2003, 07:42 PM
Okay Mrs TBE, I love it! :D

ys
Oct 26th, 2003, 01:33 PM
I just realsied that we still haven't had a team announcement. Or did I miss it?

TheBoiledEgg
Oct 26th, 2003, 01:44 PM
nothing out yet, not heard anything either
probably will be announced after Phili i think

tenn_ace
Nov 3rd, 2003, 12:33 PM
Tarpichsev declined to say who he will include in the FedCup team. He said he'd wait until the last minute (some time next week) not to put pressure on players making them nervous.

ys
Nov 3rd, 2003, 03:42 PM
Tarpichsev declined to say who he will include in the FedCup team. He said he'd wait until the last minute (some time next week) not to put pressure on players making them nervous.

Does it make any sense to you? Makes no sense whatsoever for me..

tenn_ace
Nov 3rd, 2003, 03:46 PM
15:37 Тарпищев отказался назвать состав сборной России

Россия до последнего момента не будет разглашать состав на финальный турнир Кубка федераций. Об этом в понедельник заявил глава российской теннисной Федерации Шамиль Тарпищев, сообщает Reuters.
"Мы должны раскрыть имена ( теннисистоk ) Международной федерации тенниса ( ITF ) к следующей неделе, и именно тогда мы назовем состав. Мы не хотим выставлять их имена на всеобщий обзор, потому что это только заставит их нервничать", - сказал Тарпищев. //«Газета.Ru»

tenn_ace
Nov 3rd, 2003, 03:49 PM
maybe he wants Elena D. and Nastya to concentrate on YEC... Maybe Elena B., Vera are in Moscow practicing and he does not want to do it now, distracting Elena D. and Nastya... I don't know.

ys
Nov 3rd, 2003, 04:29 PM
Vera is in LA ( she is the second alternate ). And that he is going to select Elena D. and Nastya is beyond any doubt. Whether he announces it or not, makes no difference, it's not news anyway. And for Vera/Nadya/Elena B., what difference would it make?

tenn_ace
Nov 3rd, 2003, 04:41 PM
ok, you come up with reasons :p

ys
Nov 3rd, 2003, 05:26 PM
ok, you come up with reasons :p

That's why I reacted on his statement in that way. I simply do no understand what kind of game it is..

But my guess is,
first, he is waiting for the end of YEC to know the exact status of our players ( for instance, he announces Top 4, Elena B. goes on vacations, than one of Top 4 gets injured at YEC ) not to piss anyone by premature non-selection.
second reason could be that he is waiting on status of our opponents. For instance, if Amelie is doing fine, we'll have to provide the best possible doubles combination for semis, because Amelie is _LIKELY_ (not certain, but it is a good chance ) to beat both of our singles players. But Amelie is injury-prone, so if by any chance she is not playing Fed Cup, then doubles are not important and in fact we would be capable of winning the Cup on our singles depth alone.

goldenlox
Nov 3rd, 2003, 09:43 PM
That makes a lot of sense. If someone gets hurt in L.A., you want Lena B. to be match ready and thinking she has a chance to make the team.

TheBoiledEgg
Nov 6th, 2003, 05:16 PM
Russia Nominates Semifinal Team
The Russian Tennis Federation has nominated its team to face France in the Fed Cup Semifinal in Moscow, to be held 19-20 November at the Olympic Stadium.

The team is as follows:

Captain - Shamil Tarpischev

Players
1. Anastasia Myskina
2. Elena Dementieva
3. Nadia Petrova
4. Vera Zvonareva

In a change from the team that contested the quarterfinal against Slovenia, Petrova comes in for Elena Bovina.

Changes to the team can still be made ahead of the deadline for official nominations on Sunday 9 November. The official nominations for all four teams competing in the semifinals will be confirmed here on Monday www.fedcup.com . Then, under Fed Cup Rules, up to two team nominations may be changed up to one hour before the draw.

-------------------------------------------------
Pretty much as expected but Lena B could have been a better bet than Vera, as she's also alot better in doubles.

tenn_ace
Nov 6th, 2003, 06:14 PM
so unpredictable... but a wise decision

goldenlox
Nov 6th, 2003, 07:44 PM
These are the four highest ranked Russians. So the same method as right after Wimbledon.

tenn_ace
Nov 8th, 2003, 04:23 AM
France will bring a very good team... players with absolutely different styles, all of them are decent doubles players. I think Russia is underdog in that semi. Whoever wins the semi should have no trouble taking all of it.

Of course, Amelie is prone to injuries... so anything can happen. In fact, if any of the named 3 players is injured, it will be very tough for France to beat Russia.

goldenlox
Nov 9th, 2003, 02:35 AM
Russia-France should be a great tie. What Russia has is several good players who are improving. Winning Fed Cup this year could begin a long run of championships.

the cat
Nov 9th, 2003, 03:26 AM
Who will play doubles for Russia? Nadia Petrova and Vera Zvonareva?

Fantasy Season
Nov 9th, 2003, 03:31 AM
Winning Fed Cup this year doesn't prove anything.

fresh2flash
Nov 9th, 2003, 11:08 AM
What do they have to prove? They will just win it.

saki
Nov 9th, 2003, 12:51 PM
So, I'm guessing that if the tie is 2:2 going into the doubles, the doubles team with be Dementieva/Petrova, but it it's a dead rubber it'll be Petrova/Zvonareva. Is that right?

the cat
Nov 9th, 2003, 06:28 PM
Saki, Elena Dementieva is already tired at the end of the year. Asking her to play doubles as well as the singles in Fed Cup semifinals is asking too much of her. I think the doubles team will be Nadia Petrova and Vera Zvonareva whether it's a dead rubber or a live rubber. And that worries me. Russia used to have a good doubles team in Anna Kournikova and Elena Likhovtseva. But now the best they can do is put 2 singles players together and call it a doubles team.

saab95
Nov 9th, 2003, 09:03 PM
There was a very interesting double match at KC-
Nastya/Vera vs Lena D/Lina.
And I have to say (I'm Lina's fan first of all) that
Nastya won this match.
So I'm for Lena D/Nastya team.

goldenlox
Nov 9th, 2003, 09:24 PM
I think Lena with Nastya or Nadia can handle doubles.
Nastya is hanging around Vera too much. She bangs her racket on the court way too much. Nastya has to calm down during matches.

saki
Nov 9th, 2003, 09:44 PM
Saki, Elena Dementieva is already tired at the end of the year. Asking her to play doubles as well as the singles in Fed Cup semifinals is asking too much of her. I think the doubles team will be Nadia Petrova and Vera Zvonareva whether it's a dead rubber or a live rubber. And that worries me. Russia used to have a good doubles team in Anna Kournikova and Elena Likhovtseva. But now the best they can do is put 2 singles players together and call it a doubles team.

Well, this is why I was a bit puzzled by the selection, it seems to be Russia's four best singles players with no consideration at all for the doubles. I mean, Russia has some very good doubles players in Likhovtseva and Kusnetsova (both in the doubles at LA), Elena Bovina & Lina K are pretty good too... So, why put the extra pressure on Dementieva when you don't even need four singles players? Petrova is a decent doubles player too, but she has no natural partner in this team.

Mathijs
Nov 10th, 2003, 02:04 PM
I hope the Russina's will give Russia the Fed Cup, i know that they can do it!

Go Russia :bounce: :bounce:

saab95
Nov 14th, 2003, 09:57 PM
MARTINA NAVRATILOVA:
.... But in Fed Cup, strange things can happen.
http://boxmail.biz/constructor/img/67642.jpg

vaiva
Nov 14th, 2003, 10:22 PM
Nice picture, saab!

cool_olga
Nov 15th, 2003, 12:04 PM
Petrova can be good doubles player. She was playing really good with Shaughnessy. I just don't get it why Zvonareva is in team. For me singles matches should take Elena D. and Nastya and other two players should be good doubles. In this semifinal doubles can decide about everything if Amalie wins her singles. As saki said Kuznetsova is very good doubles player. Likhovtseva too but maybe she is too old to take that pressure.
As I remebmer in earlier two rounds doubles team was Elena and Nastya and they won both but now they are very tired. Just Zvonareva nomination is strange for me

the cat
Nov 15th, 2003, 01:47 PM
Saki, if it comes down to the doubles against France as I think it will and Russia loses Shamil Tarpischev will have some explaining to do.

And part of the problem is that the Russina's on the Fed Cup team don't play much doubles together.

Well said, C_O! :) :wavey: I think Svetlana Kuznetsova should have made the Russian Fed Cup team over Vera Zvonareva because of her doubles ability.

goldenlox
Nov 15th, 2003, 03:16 PM
Sveta played with Martina. Vera has played with Nastya. So has Nadia.
Lena B. is next in line. Then Lina.

TheBoiledEgg
Nov 15th, 2003, 10:20 PM
if the doubles is a crucial LIVE match i cannot see anyone other than Elena partnering Nadya.

hopefully its all wrapped up before hand in our favour :)

saab95
Nov 15th, 2003, 10:36 PM
http://boxmail.biz/constructor/img/68042.jpg
Sorry, cat , but best Lena's partner is dog still

DEETHELICK
Nov 15th, 2003, 10:44 PM
I'd say that Anastasia and Vera would be a better doubles team. They have had excellent success recently, especially on the very court being used for Fed Cup.

Anastasia has a great return of serve and uses angles so well, that I would pick her for the doubles.

Elena and Nadia just seems a very odd combination IMO.

But as TBE said, I hope it is all wrapped up from beforehand and that Elena and Anastasia win all their matches! :D

ys
Nov 16th, 2003, 12:43 AM
I saw in Russian sources that Amelie has withdrawn. Has anyone seen that in non-Russian sources?

maratski
Nov 16th, 2003, 05:07 PM
they look nice :)

petrova-fan
Nov 18th, 2003, 03:17 PM
Fed Cup Semi-Final this week:

Wensday:
Zwonarewa - Mauresmo
Myskina - Pierce

Thursday:
Myskina - Mauresmo
Zwonarewa - Pierce
Dementjewa/Petrowa - Loit/Pierce

maratski
Nov 18th, 2003, 03:51 PM
I'm surprised to see Elena only in doubles.

saki
Nov 18th, 2003, 04:01 PM
:eek: Who'd have thought that Elena Dementieva would only be playing doubles? This puts a lot of pressure on Myskina to win her matches.

JLDementieva
Nov 18th, 2003, 06:08 PM
That decision really surprised me. You would think that Elena would be the more experienced one for Fed Cup.

TheBoiledEgg
Nov 18th, 2003, 06:40 PM
Draw is always made using just 2 names in singles.

suprising decision but it leaves options open for both singles matches for Thursday.

Just hope it dont backfire.
Vera plays 1st match and thats gonna be crucial

could be a smart move but only time will tell.
I for one wasnt expecting this.

Lena will come in for Singles on day 2

ys
Nov 18th, 2003, 06:49 PM
Nothing surprising here. Elena was demolished by Amelie twice in a row on similar surface. While Vera had Amelie on the ropes in Moscow. If anything, Elena playing Amelie had to be avoided. I think that's a very good idea. Vera has a good shot at Amelie, and Vera's tantrums could probably be neutralised by allowed coaching.

KV
Nov 18th, 2003, 07:01 PM
Didn't expect Vera vs. Amélie. Thought Shamil would go for Nastya and Alyona in singles. On the other hand Alyona was crushed by Momo on the same surface. Happily Vera has allowed coaching. Think Nadya was rather expected than Vera.

TheBoiledEgg
Nov 18th, 2003, 07:11 PM
day 2 now allows

any of Nadya/Nastya/Lena vs Amelie
and still leaves any of Nadya/Lena/Vera vs Pierce (or maybe Loit but i somehow doubt it)

advantage there cos we'll know who is going to play and they wont.

Amelie has to play 3rd rubber or is out until doubles.

moo_ont
Nov 18th, 2003, 07:13 PM
Lena will come in for Singles on day 2

Agreed. She may play 2 matches on Thursday. I reckon Tarpischev just wanna avoid Elena vs Mauresmo match. Anyway, if Vera plays well, she will play Mary on Thursday.

goldenlox
Nov 18th, 2003, 07:14 PM
Vera hasn't played since losing in the first round in Philadelphia to Raymond.
I would have taken my chances with Elena. The last time she played she was blowing Rubin off the court.
There is tremendous pressure on Nastya now. Nastya had better beat Pierce.

moo_ont
Nov 18th, 2003, 07:18 PM
That's what I am worried. I really hope Myskina will beat Pierce tomorrow no matter whether Vera can beat Mauresmo or not. Pierce is a really dangerous player, IMO.

DEETHELICK
Nov 18th, 2003, 08:49 PM
I too was surprised by this decision, but Vera could be the surprise packet of the group. She'll have coaching to keep her happy and focused, and its true, she did have Momo on the ropes at Moscow before.

She just needs to be focused.

As for Anastasia, she has really excelled indoors this season, whilst Pierce is dangerous but hasn't played exceptionally well recently (loss to Sequera).

I think she should be able to take care of Pierce, its more about what Vera is gona do against Momo.

goldenlox
Nov 18th, 2003, 09:59 PM
Nastya, Elena, Nadia, and Vera are all good players.
I just want them to win. I don't care who gets the glory.

tenn_ace
Nov 19th, 2003, 03:52 PM
I guess, we have to wait another year.... oh well

#1 Cory Ann Fan
Nov 19th, 2003, 03:54 PM
Should have played Bovina... should have played Bovina...

Oh well.

ys
Nov 19th, 2003, 04:12 PM
I guess, we have to wait another year.... oh well

I think we can still make it this year..

tenn_ace
Nov 19th, 2003, 05:13 PM
phew...

#1 Cory Ann Fan
Nov 19th, 2003, 05:20 PM
Nastya saved any chances of Russia winning...

But, the advantage is still on France's side, IMO. :sad:

Nastya will have to play better to beat Amelie... and Lena/Nadya/Vera vs. Mary... if it's Lena D., like I think it will be... I'm not too confident. :sad:

TheBoiledEgg
Nov 19th, 2003, 05:42 PM
I'm sure a fresh rested Lena can take out Mary who's gonna be knackered and she's not one who makes a quick recovery, normally it takes her 6 weeks to comeback after this sort of match.

it would have been better if rubber #3 was anyone vs Pierce, would have made a big diff going up 2-1 into 4th match.
still Nastya can tough it out and beat Amelie like she did a few weeks ago :)

good luck girls

tomorrow's team decision is gonna play a BIG part.

#1 Cory Ann Fan
Nov 19th, 2003, 05:46 PM
Lena SHOULD definitely beat Mary, especially if she's tired... but geez, if Lena plays like she did against Kim and Amelie in LA, it's going to be a quick loss for her.

I know the Moscow courts are a lot quicker, but I'd feel more comfortable playing Nadya... who was playing top-notch tennis for the last month of the year.

TheBoiledEgg
Nov 19th, 2003, 05:48 PM
what i think France will do is if they are 2-1 up they will rest Mary for doubles

Moscow courts are faster, then anything, even sponge would be faster than LA.

vaiva
Nov 19th, 2003, 05:48 PM
Hopefully, this was a good wake-up call for the team and the captain.

I doubt Nastia will beat Amelie tomorrow. She's just had a marathon match and her fitness has been really suspect lately. Of course, Amelie can always give us a hand and beat herself ;)

Anyways, good luck tomorrow. I wonder who will play Pierce

#1 Cory Ann Fan
Nov 19th, 2003, 05:53 PM
I don't think France can afford to rest Mary though... I wouldn't. Putting Loit or Cohen in there, is basically giving up a match... and that's not the right move against the 2nd ranked Russian.

Even with Mary, Russia will still be the favorite in doubles.

the cat
Nov 19th, 2003, 06:45 PM
Anastasia Myskina came through in the clutch with her great come from behind win over Mary Pierce. :D But Russia is still in trouble in this tie against France. :( If Russia takes it to a live doubles match I would be very happy because I would like their chances in a live doubles match. I think Amelie Mauresmo is playing great and will pound Myskina tomorrow. It's up to Elena D. to use her far superior speed to frustrate Pierce. Mary has a much better serve than Elena and she hits a heavier ball than Elena. But if Elena is running well and keeping balls in play she should be able to beat Pierce. It really is a must win for Elena.

Why did Vera Zvonareva play the first singles match instead of Nadia Petrova? Petrova has a fine first serve and more weapons than Zvonareva. And that's important opn a fast court like the one they are playing on in Moscow. I doubt Nadia would have beaten Mauresmo. But I think she had a much better chance than Zvonareva did.

goldenlox
Nov 19th, 2003, 07:23 PM
I think 1-1 is okay for today. Mauresmo is #4 in the world.
Nastya beat her before. But if Mauresmo goes 2-0, let's win the other three.

tenn_ace
Nov 19th, 2003, 08:18 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if Forget goes with Loit who is a trcky player and can beat anyone on a Russian team...

goldenlox
Nov 19th, 2003, 08:26 PM
Elena is 3-1 against Loit. It doesn't matter if it's Pierce or Loit, Russia needs to win that match.

DEETHELICK
Nov 19th, 2003, 08:53 PM
If it were me, I'd put Nadia against Momo. Nadia's serve and groundies are awesome when on and she really has played well recently. Also, they haven't played recently either, so that could give Nadia the edge. She is also a big fighter on court, and could be ideal to knock Mauresmo out.

If its Pierce or Loit, I'd play with Elena. Elena isn't intimidated by power and moves very well. If her serve is okay, she should get by Mary. As for Loit, carpet isn't the best surface IMO to employ all those spins, etc. and Elena could overpower her.

I say play Nadia and Elena tomorrow, with Elena/Nadia and Anastasia playing dubs together.

DEETHELICK
Nov 19th, 2003, 08:55 PM
Totally forgot, Anastasia deserves huge credit for a gutsy performance today. The pressure was on and Anastasia delivered the goods.

I really hope this inspiring victory gives hope to the team to perform at an even higher level. One win against Mauresmo could seal this tie.

Good luck girls! :)

saab95
Nov 19th, 2003, 11:01 PM
The old fox said : Nastya will play better tomorrow:

http://linastar.boxmail.biz/cgi-bin/guide.pl?&action=article&id_org=14174&id_razdel=32928&id_article=49632

http://linastar.boxmail.biz/cgi-bin/guide.pl?action=article&id_razdel=32928&id_article=49633

TheBoiledEgg
Nov 19th, 2003, 11:28 PM
thanx for the interview and pics :)

the cat
Nov 19th, 2003, 11:54 PM
Excellent points by DEETHLICK on why Nadejda Petrova and Elena Dementirva should be playing the Fed Cup singles tomorrow. But I would be surprised if Shamil Tarpischev replaced Anastasia Myskina Petrova.

Saki, that nice photo of Elena and her dog makes me purrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! :cat: :dog: :D

#1 Cory Ann Fan
Nov 20th, 2003, 03:36 AM
You have to play Nastya though...

Even if she's a bit tired, she's the best player Russia has... and I think the only player on this team who can beat Mauresmo, when Amelie isn't shanking every shot.

Then either Nadya or Lena vs. Mary... Russia should win that match, but with Nadya & Lena, they can both just give matches away, so you never know.

I think it's imperative to have a chance to win both of the matches.

tenn_ace
Nov 20th, 2003, 11:46 AM
Russia's captain says that Russia was lucky on day 1. he also declined to admit that letting Vera to play 1st match was a mistake (in denial?) he said we would see today why it wasn't.

TheBoiledEgg
Nov 20th, 2003, 03:35 PM
1-2 :mad:

Nastya just fell short :(
4-6 in 3rd

no news yet who plays #4
looks like Vera as she wasnt watching end of match

#1 Cory Ann Fan
Nov 20th, 2003, 03:38 PM
Hopefully, Mary is tired...

Vera is the worst opponent to put against Mary.

the cat
Nov 20th, 2003, 04:02 PM
What is Tarpischev's fascination with Vera Zvonareva on a fast indoor court? She's a good counter puncher but she doesn't have a weapon to hurt Mary Pierce. And she's not fast either. I don't understand his not playing Nadia Petrova who has the best first serve amongst the Russina's and one of the ten best first serves in women's tennis. She should have been the replacement for Elena Dementieva. Especially on a fast court like the one they are playing the Fed Cup semifinals on.

What's wrong with Dementieva? :confused: If she's tired she shouldn't have played the YEC. The Fed Cup seminfinals in Moscow should have been more important to her than the YEC in Los Angeles. The bottom line is Elena is too tired to play the Fed Cup and that is unacceptable to me. Especially since this is Russia's chance to win the Fed Cup at home.

Too bad for Anastasia Myskina. :( But she should hold her head high because she played her heart out again.

vaiva
Nov 20th, 2003, 04:52 PM
What's wrong with Dementieva? :confused: If she's tired she shouldn't have played the YEC.

What's wrong with her? See the bolded part of your own post below.

As regards not playing the YEC: Are you nuts? :confused:

The Fed Cup seminfinals in Moscow should have been more important to her than the YEC in Los Angeles. The bottom line is Elena is too tired to play the Fed Cup and that is unacceptable to me. Especially since this is Russia's chance to win the Fed Cup at home.

moo_ont
Nov 20th, 2003, 05:00 PM
Cat: From what I have heard, Elena is unwell. As you know her, she always thinks Fed Cup is the most important tournament as she plays for Russia. I don't think it's her fault that she is sick cuz she did not plan on that.

BTW, I really hope Vera will win, so that Russia still has hope for the doubles match. And, I still believe in Elena and Nadia. They will win for certain.

the cat
Nov 20th, 2003, 05:27 PM
Mauresmo played fine and she was just as tired as Elena was.

Zvonareva is down a break in the third set. Things are looking gloomy for Russia. :(

#1 Cory Ann Fan
Nov 20th, 2003, 05:43 PM
Russia's captain says that Russia was lucky on day 1. he also declined to admit that letting Vera to play 1st match was a mistake (in denial?) he said we would see today why it wasn't.
Shamil proved today that he's an idiot...

There's no decent explanation of playing Vera again.

This was Russia's best chance ever to win Fed Cup, and it's history... there won't be a chance like this for many years probably.

tenn_ace
ok...

TheBoiledEgg
well done Shamil Tarpischev :o

Vera blew it herself. pathetic loss

vaiva
Nov 20th, 2003, 05:45 PM
Too bad :mad:

the cat
Nov 20th, 2003, 05:58 PM
Too bad for Vera and Russia. :( Vera must be hurting. Kisses for Vera. :kiss: She's a great girl and a very good tennis player. :D But her best tennis is not played on a fast indoor surface. And it's not her fault she played 2 matches in the Fed Cup semifinals. Is Vera suppesed to say nyet to playing Fed Cup singles matches if she's asked to play? Of course not. Since Elena Dementieva wasn't ready to play or couldn't play Nadia Petrova will her potent first serve and power game should have replaced Dementieva.

The bottom line is this is a crushing loss for Russia. :sad: And Shamil Tarpischev has some expalining to do. But I will not balme Vera Zvonareva for losing this Fed Cup Tie. She is still a teenager and a young player. And I'm sure nerves played a big role in her 2 losses.

moo_ont
Nov 20th, 2003, 06:03 PM
Too much for Vera to be put in the decided match. She must fee really bad right now. I am so sorry for her. If Elena is not well, why did not the captain choose Nadia? Anyway, they all did the best the could.

TheBoiledEgg
Nov 20th, 2003, 06:07 PM
at end of match, all the other Russian girls just walked away and left Vera in tears

Nadya should have been brought in
but its only IF's and BUTS now
cant change whats happened :(

vaiva
Nov 20th, 2003, 06:11 PM
at end of match, all the other Russian girls just walked away and left Vera in tears

pffffffff, that's the team spirit :(

Please post Shamil's interview when you have it. I wonder what's his excuse

saki
Nov 20th, 2003, 06:18 PM
I like the French team too, but it's kind of silly when you see a team lose Fed Cup at home through stupid mismanagement of their team. God knows what Shamil's logic was.

the cat
Nov 20th, 2003, 06:19 PM
How could the other Russina's treat Vera so badly? She is a girl and she needs to be comforted when she's in great pain.

I said All along that Elena Dementieva's ridiculous shcedule of overplaying before and after the U.S. Open would catch up to her for the Fed Cup final and it did. :(

Hi Vaiva! :wavey: :kiss:

TheBoiledEgg
Nov 20th, 2003, 06:22 PM
they seemed to blame Vera for her two losses
had Nadya played a match, then they might have acted diff. but its still not good :(

too early for any interviews yet

the cat
Nov 20th, 2003, 06:32 PM
How childish is that? the Russian team isn't so good that they should beat France. France has Amelie Mauresmo who is the best player on either team and no one would dispute that.

Part of the problem for Russia in choosing a Fed Cup team in the future is that there are so many good players who are close to each other in ability and performance.

the cat
Nov 20th, 2003, 06:51 PM
Where is out guy ys with his insightful thoughts?

vaiva
Nov 20th, 2003, 07:03 PM
Hi the cat! :wavey: :kiss:

You miss Sergei? Ready to rumble? :p

maratski
Nov 20th, 2003, 07:23 PM
:sad:

I couldn't watch the matches so can't say anything about them. It's really bad of the other girls to let Vera alone :sad:

KV
Nov 20th, 2003, 07:33 PM
The long season took it's toll for Vera, or maybe clay is her best surface. She's had a great season, in the earlier stages of the season, when things went wrong for the Russian players. Vera limited the damage, by reaching regularly QF's.

goldenlox
Nov 20th, 2003, 07:33 PM
This is a shame. No Justine or Kim. No Serena or Venus. And Russia can't make the finals.
Tremendous pressure on Vera for that fourth match.
Just a shame.

the cat
Nov 20th, 2003, 07:42 PM
Hi Vaiva also known as Queen V! :wavey: :kiss: ;)

Who's Sergei? Oh yes ys.

I'm not ready to rumble, Vaiva. I'm tired and depressed. :sad:

TheBoiledEgg
Nov 20th, 2003, 07:50 PM
seems like both Nadya and Lena had the same bug/virus :(

talk about bad timing :(

http://www.newsru.com/sport/20nov2003/58397567.html

the cat
Nov 20th, 2003, 07:52 PM
At the end of a long tennis season players are bound to be vulnerable to illness. What a shame. :(

saki
Nov 20th, 2003, 07:55 PM
It is a shame, but with such depth Russia is bound to win this eventually. Hopefully with a certain Miss Kournikova as star doubles player!

#1 Cory Ann Fan
Nov 20th, 2003, 09:22 PM
Too bad about Lena and Nadya... :sad:

#1 Cory Ann Fan
Nov 20th, 2003, 09:41 PM
Nadya was able to play the doubles though... must not have been too serious..

the cat
Nov 21st, 2003, 01:19 AM
#1 CAF, I think tenn_ace was saying ok to my post not yours. You and tenn_ace posted at exactly the same time menaing he had to be responding to my post. I think.

saki, it will be hard for Russia to win the Fed Cup in the future because they don't have a dominant player.

goldenlox
Nov 21st, 2003, 01:36 AM
It was unfortunate that Lena was ill. This was a great opportunity.
Really would have announced to the tennis world that the Russian women are coming.
Just shows that more improvement is needed.

#1 Cory Ann Fan
Nov 21st, 2003, 01:39 AM
tenn_ace insulted me before... like I knew nothing... so it doesn't matter.

I'm aggravated by this. Russia will probably never another great chance like this to win again.

tenn_ace
Nov 21st, 2003, 02:06 AM
tenn_ace insulted me before... like I knew nothing... so it doesn't matter.

I'm aggravated by this. Russia will probably never another great chance like this to win again.

a little paranoid, aren't we? :cuckoo:

not that I care explaining but since you brought it up, I have been reacting to the Russian team loss.

the cat
Nov 21st, 2003, 02:13 AM
Okay #1 CAF.

If Elena Dementieva wasn't feeling well as has been reported I doubt she would have won a singles match. And her form late in the year was terrible. The terrible omission from the Fed Cup team was the Russian Amazon Elena Bovina. She is the only Russina who is intimidating when she's on her game.

TheBoiledEgg
Nov 21st, 2003, 04:04 AM
we'll get more and more chances in near future.

this was really disappointing, more so cos it was at home.

we'll be getting stronger.

goldenlox
Nov 21st, 2003, 09:51 AM
It's disappointing because there was no Serena, Venus, Lindsay, Jennifer, Justine, or Kim. Those are the top players for the other half of the draw.
And Russia was at home. It's hard to be optimistic about Olympic medals right now.

saki
Nov 21st, 2003, 10:35 AM
The Cat - I don't know how much that always matters. Only the USA and Belgium have two top players on their team and, as we've seen, they don't always or even often get them actually playing. Russia with two top 10 players stands an excellent chance against any team with just one; and if they sorted themselves out a good doubles team would have an even better chance. They'll win this at some point during the next five years, I'm sure.

ys
Nov 21st, 2003, 05:08 PM
Finally, Tarpishev's interview.. It explains a lot..

http://www.gazeta.ru/sport/2003/11/a_66980.shtml
If he is not lying, and I don't think he is, we really had a run of bad luck..

Some points from it..

-he thinks that Australia is a good draw ( actually I don't think so, imagine that Dokic decides to play Olympics and returns to play for Australia, we might have problems handling Dokic/Molik/Pratt/Stubbs combo even at home ).

-he is sure that Japan beats Argentina and will be possible next opponent

-he says that it was a very useful experience for Vera, that at times she played very well in her second match, and that she considers her debut similar to Marat's DC debut in Atlanta in 1998.

-The French played their best tennis

-Elena D. got a fever exactly in the morning of draw, and could not play

-Nadya returned from LA with an injury and started practicing only on Wednesday

-he is ready to retire and leave the captain's duty to Larisa ( I don't think she is eligible for that, as a Latvian citizen )

- there was no alternatives for team selection, Bovina just had a surgery, Lina K. is injured.

- there was no reason for selecting younger players

- choosing the top ranked players is a policy, to avoid any conflicts

- he thinks about trying Nadya and Sveta doubles team ( he says that Nadya plays in Navratilova's style :rolleyes: )

- Kafelnikov is very unsure about his future.. Shamil thinks that nothing has decided yet, and that Yevgeny can easily play another 4 years.

saab95
Nov 21st, 2003, 05:45 PM
I talked with S Tarpishev yesterday & today
Allmost everything you have to know about
russian women's tennis he said :wavey:
http://linastar.boxmail.biz/cgi-bin/guide.pl?action=article&id_razdel=32928&id_article=49853

the cat
Nov 21st, 2003, 06:48 PM
Thanks for the inteview ys. And I agree with you that Australia will be a tough draw if Jelena Dokic returns to play for Australia. If she's the player she's capable of being she could do what Amelie Mauresmo did to the Russian Fed Cup team and win both her singles matches. And you know Australia has better doubles players than Russia does.

As for Elena and Nadia, it's too bad they weren't well. But why weren't they replaced by a choice of Svetlana Kuzetsova, Dinara Safina or Lina Krasnoroutskaya? It's apparent Elena Bovina wasn't available. If they weren't fit to compete they shouldn't have been on the team. They could have been replaced at the last minute.

Saki, I hope you're right about Russia winnining the Fed Cup in the near future. But it should have happened this year.

Thanks for the info, Saab.

I don't want Larissa Neiland to be the next Russian Fed Cup captain. Hasn't she held that position before? Why not Olga Morozova?

KV
Nov 21st, 2003, 07:13 PM
Don't know what profile does Larissa have as a coach? Really the likes of Olga/Rauza seems more familiar as a coach.

vaiva
Nov 21st, 2003, 08:03 PM
Thanks, ys, for the link to the interview.

The team just ran into a very bad luck. Things happen. On to the next year

goldenlox
Nov 21st, 2003, 08:15 PM
The only choice to play that final singles match was Vera.
You can't have an injured or ill player in that important a singles match.
I wish Vera could have tired Mauresmo out, the way Pierce made Nastya work on Wednesday.

TheBoiledEgg
Nov 21st, 2003, 08:21 PM
thanx saab for link to interview

what was looking like a good fed cup turned into a nightmare :sad:

ys
Nov 21st, 2003, 09:36 PM
Don't mix two different jobs.. A captain of the team and a tennis coach are two different type of jobs. Olga Morozova and Rauza Islamova are now practicing coaches, specialising in junior tennis. Whether they would have made a good captain is an open question. Captain doesn't have to be a good coach ( can anyone imagine Pat McEnroy as a coach? I think even he himself would not imagine that?). Otherwise, Tarpishev would have tried to be a coach long time ago. The only time in Russian recent tennis historty that I remember when coach and captain was the same person was Lepeshin.

As for Elena and Nadia, it's too bad they weren't well. But why weren't they replaced by a choice of Svetlana Kuzetsova, Dinara Safina or Lina Krasnoroutskaya? It's apparent Elena Bovina wasn't available. If they weren't fit to compete they shouldn't have been on the team. They could have been replaced at the last minute.

Do you really think that having a rookie at this level would have even a minor chance to work. Kuznetsova had very miserable indoors season. Nothing really good happened this season to Dinara either. Lina K, is injured. The only minor chance to strengthen the team with a capable indoors player was , perhaps, Sharapova. But even in this case, choosing her over Zvonareva would be non-sensical.

saab95
Nov 21st, 2003, 09:44 PM
IMHO, nightmare is now only for one person -
Elena D. It's not really known what has happenned.
I talked to her after the tuesday's draw and she was OK.

Nastya & Vera did all they could at the moment.
No comments.

Mary decidied this FC.

moo_ont
Nov 21st, 2003, 10:01 PM
I talked to her after the tuesday draw and she was OK.

You meant she has had some problems with the team? Or is she seriously ill?

ys
Nov 21st, 2003, 10:02 PM
I talked to her after the tuesday draw and she was OK.

Nastya & Vera did all they could at the moment.

Are you implying that Tarpishev isn't telling the truth? That Elena D. was not sick? Then what?

saab95
Nov 21st, 2003, 10:26 PM
Are you implying that Tarpishev isn't telling the truth? That Elena D. was not sick? Then what?

I meant that only one thing of FC-2003 isn't clear. Not more.

We don't know the truth at the moment.
Only Lena or her Mom can help.

IIOoIaMaGirLoOII
Nov 21st, 2003, 10:37 PM
I meant that only one thing of FC-2003 isn't clear. Not more.

We don't know the truth at the moment.
Only Lena or her Mom can help.
you're confusing me.. :confused:

goldenlox
Nov 22nd, 2003, 12:11 AM
I don't believe a healthy Lena would not play Fed Cup. Even if she seemed to be healthy at Tuesday's draw.
Lena's a veteran player who has been in tough situations on court, and has come through.
She's an Olympic silver medalist.

the cat
Nov 22nd, 2003, 12:42 AM
This is getting more confusing. :confused:

ys
Nov 22nd, 2003, 01:55 AM
This _is_ confusing.. First , they say that both Lena and Nadya got poisoned after eating fish. Now they say about Lena having a fever and Nadya being injured.

goldenlox
Nov 22nd, 2003, 02:04 AM
Lena and Nadia should each make a public statement. Just to tell the media exactly why they couldn't play.

tenn_ace
Nov 22nd, 2003, 02:21 AM
anybody but Neiland to be a captain :(. can't stand her....

Lena B. had a surgery? any more info on that?

wishing speedy recovery to Lena! :bounce:

IIOoIaMaGirLoOII
Nov 22nd, 2003, 04:57 AM
This _is_ confusing.. First , they say that both Lena and Nadya got poisoned after eating fish. Now they say about Lena having a fever and Nadya being injured.
:confused:

ys
Nov 22nd, 2003, 05:03 AM
Lena and Nadia should each make a public statement. Just to tell the media exactly why they couldn't play.

If they don't want to, they should not. The problem is, the outcome was negative, so anything that would be said now would only serve as a scapegoat selection method, and there is no need to do that. We have new season only 6 weeks away, and let them relax for few weeks and concentrate on preparing to Australia.

I though see more and more evidence that "friendliness" between Russian players is in fact a publicity cliche. I saw Nastya and Nadya meeting at net after their Advanta semis. It was much less friendlier than even when Nastya lost to Henin in LA.

TheBoiledEgg
Nov 22nd, 2003, 05:33 AM
its all too confusing, where's Fresh when you need him ???

we're getting all sorts of mixed info :(

i don't want Larisa on team either on any capacity.

vaiva
Nov 22nd, 2003, 11:45 AM
Great, so now we also have a conspiracy theory :(

the cat
Nov 22nd, 2003, 01:43 PM
Vaiva, I agree that this is starting to sound like a conspiracy theory. :eek:

I agree with GL. Lena and Nadia should make a statement to clear things up. Their secrecy and lack of communication is annoying and frustrating. :mad: But if it hasn't happened by now it probably won't happen.

ys, I've sometimes wondered about whether the Russina's are really good friends or just okay friends. We know that some of the Russina's aren't fond of Anna Kournikova and Maria Sharapova. :( I think their friendships have been exaggerated in a similar way to the way the friendship between Kim Clijsters and Justine Henin was exaggerated. Now we know Clijsters and Henin aren't friends at all even though they were erroneously portrayed as being close friends. But I do think most of the Russina's are friends with each other on some level. Just not close friends. And the way they treated a heartbroken Vera Zvonareva after she lost the deciding Fed Cup match speaks volumes about the Russian women. :mad:

As for Elena Dementieva's food poisoning. Couldn't she have eaten a couple pasta meals before the Fed Cup? Everyone knows eating fish can be dangerous and lead to an illness or food poisoning. For example a few years ago NHL player Bobby Holik when he played for the New Jersey Devils missed a playoiff game because of Shellfish food poisoning. And Holik is a 240 pound man not a 140 pound woman like Elena is. And if fish food poisoning could knock him out of a playoff game I'm not surprised Elena's food poisoning knocked her out of the Fed Cup. And Elena's food poisoning probably cost Russia the 2003 Fed Cup. :(

I wouldn't be surprised that when a Russian woman finally makes a grand slam final she wouldn't be able to play the grand slam final because of food poisoning! :eek: She would probably want to celebrate making a grand slam final by eating her favorite seafood meal. But that's a double edge sword. As in Swordfish. Get it? ;)

ys, don't let a less than stellar greeting at net after the match between Myskina and Petrova lead you to the conclusion that they are not friends. That was a very close match and Nadia was probably crushed by losing it. :sad: From what I've seen in photo they are friends. But they probably aren't close friends. Because these girls and women are from the same country doesn't mean they are automatically friends.

As for who should the next Russian Fed Cup captain, how about Elena Likhovtseva? Her playing career is winding down and she would probably have the respect of the Russian girls. She was born in Kazakstan and not Russia. But she is a Russian citizen and that's important. And I agree that Neiland should not be considered to be the Russian Fed Cup captain.

TheBoiledEgg
Nov 22nd, 2003, 03:33 PM
cat....... Lena Likhovtseva's still Russian
her grandfather was exiled so he made his home in Kazakhstan.

also the friendship does EXIST but not all the girls are chummy chummy.
naturally you're not gonna like everyone you meet, it goes in all walks of life.

saab95
Nov 22nd, 2003, 03:54 PM
Tuesday. 3 p.m.
Lena D. is OK. She's ready to play (her opinion)
No heat, no swordfish.
The captain wants Vera to play.
The end of the film starring Mary Pierce.

TheBoiledEgg
Nov 22nd, 2003, 04:10 PM
Tuesday. 3 p.m.
No heat, no swordfish.

ermmmmm so Lena was ok on Tuesday afternoon
capt wanted Vera to play so to justify that Elena somehow got ill :confused: :confused: :fiery: :mad: ??????????

JLDementieva
Nov 22nd, 2003, 04:58 PM
this is all getting just way too confusing!!!

the cat
Nov 22nd, 2003, 06:39 PM
Eggy, I know Likhovtseva is Russian even though she wasn't born in Russia. And because she's Russian I think she would be a good Fed Cup choice in the future. The Russians don't need a retread Fed Cup captain. They need a new voice who won't play political games.

If Elena Dementieva was fit to play and Tarpischev chose not to play her then that is a monumental disgrace. Elena has been so loyal to Russia and to the Fed Cup that it's unimaginable that she could be treated that way.

But what about Nadia Petrova? If she could play doubles she could have plyed 1 singles match. She should have played before Vera Zvonareva on a fast indoor court. No one in there right mind would dispute that.

goldenlox
Nov 22nd, 2003, 08:32 PM
Just because Nadia played in a meaningless doubles match doesn't mean she was 100% healthy and ready to play such an important singles match.

Lena is going to be asked if she was healthy to play Fed Cup when she plays her first tournament in January. If she is going to comment on this, she should do it now.

fresh2flash
Nov 22nd, 2003, 09:29 PM
where's Fresh when you need him ???

I didn`t go to Moscow - just because in my heart I expected this kind of output. But I would not blame anybody on this deafeat. All the matches save the 1st one were tough. Bad luck.
I agree with ys that they for the most part don`t like each other, but at the same time I don`t think this was a factor in the defeat.

TheBoiledEgg
Nov 22nd, 2003, 09:45 PM
I didn`t go to Moscow - just because in my heart I expected this kind of output. But I would not blame anybody on this deafeat. All the matches save the 1st one were tough. Bad luck.
I agree with ys that they for the most part don`t like each other, but at the same time I don`t think this was a factor in the defeat.

i gathered you didnt go, but can you find some more info about why Alyona/Nadya didnt play ??

fresh2flash
Nov 22nd, 2003, 09:49 PM
I`ll try.

saab95
Nov 22nd, 2003, 11:23 PM
But what about Nadia Petrova? If she could play doubles she could have plyed 1 singles match. She should have played before Vera Zvonareva on a fast indoor court. No one in there right mind would dispute that.

21.11 Tarpischev said Nadya wasn't ready because she has begun training too late. In their last sparring match Nadya took only 3 games in 2 sets from Vera. :sad:

moo_ont
Nov 23rd, 2003, 12:01 AM
21.11 Tarpischev said Nadya wasn't ready because she has begun training too late. In their last sparring match Nadya took only 3 games in 2 sets from Vera. :sad:

So, I guess in the sparring match, Elena lost to Vera as well. That's why Tarpischev chose Vera. As I read on Fed Cup website, he said Vera played better in the week before the tournament begun. However, the thing is Sparring match and the real one are so different.

The confusing this is the question whether Elena was ill. I hope Tarpischev did not lie about that.

IIOoIaMaGirLoOII
Nov 23rd, 2003, 03:02 AM
Tuesday. 3 p.m.
No heat, no swordfish.
so lena didnt have a temperature or food poisoning?? :unsure:

the cat
Nov 23rd, 2003, 05:57 PM
Who cares about sparring matches? They shouldn't count for anything. Vera Zvoareva hadn't played a WTA Tour match in a couple of weeks and it showed in her play. But Shamil Tarpischev was impressed with Vera Zvonareva's play in sparring matches because he said Vera was playing well and that she would show it in the Fed CUp. But she didn't show it and Tarpischev's gamble to play Vera on a fast court instead of the more powerful Elena Dementieva or Nadia Petrova failed miserably and cost probably Russia the 2003 Fed Cup. :(