PDA

View Full Version : I Met Claudine Schaul!

polishprodigy
Aug 7th, 2003, 04:11 AM
I went in the early afternoon to watch some pre-qualifying matches, you know those ones with Canadians fighting for qualy WCs. Well I asked a man if there still were some going on (I came at 3pm) and he said that some were on the back courts. SO i went there and only saw a girl standing and taking balls out of a can. I asked her "are you playing in pre-qualifying?" and she replied "no, qualifying". I said "oh, are you Canadian" and she said "no, I am from Luxembourg". I then asked "are you Claudine Schaul!" and she replied yes, with her mother in complete shock that I knew her name lol. I asked her little chit-chat questions like how she likes toronto, what language she speaks etc. I then saw another girl come in with a friend and a coach. I asked her mother who they were and she said "some Camerin girl". So I said it must be Maria Elena Camerin of Italy, and she said "yes they come from Italy". The girl with Maria Elena was a very beautiful blonde girl with kournikova like / tatarkova like braided long blonde hair, i was guessing it was Garbin but the mother did not know. All she knew was that this girl was Italian. So i watched Schaul/Maria Elena practice and it was cool. Schaul hits some great winners and started off a bit rusty hitting a lot of shots out and loopy, but then she started to be aggressive and was running Maria Elena left and right that Maria Elena was sweating so much. Maria Elena is very consistent, hitting mid-court shots but with nice angles. They both are good players.

One thing I overheard was Maria Elena and Claudine joking and talking about some match that Claudine lost to Wartusch in, 7-5 in the third, where Wartusch was disqualified for something and where the umpire took so long to penalize Wartusch on something. What was this match about? Does anyone know?

Anyway, I wished the girls best of luck and went on my way. It was cool meeting them though, even if I didn't get to see any pre-qualy matches! ;)

controlfreak
Aug 8th, 2003, 01:45 AM
Wow! I'm soooooo jealous! Claudine is the main reason I follow tennis as obsessively as I do. Hopefully I will meet her too one day. I'm really glad you saw her because she withdrew from her last few events and I was sure she must be injured. But thankfully just taking some rest it seems.
I don't know what her chances are of qualifying for a Tier I, it's pretty ambitious but at least it's some good practice in the run-up to the AO.
Can you give any more details of your encounter? Please? :cool:

polishprodigy
Aug 8th, 2003, 03:32 AM
Well Claudine was really nice. She started off quite poorly in the rally, hitting a lot of shots loopy and out and becoming quite frustrated. Camerin is very consistent, always hitting mid-court shots, so gradually as Schaul got her rythym, she was hitting AMAZING (i'm talking over and over again that Camerin was sweating her pants off) cross court winners. Always to the right side of the court, but just so well placed. Claudine was not very happy with her volleys or last-ditch stabs, she got a bit tired easily. Claudine's mother cautiously watched her hit each ball and gave tips in french, but Claudine was quite frustrated with her game. But gradually she was hitting really good shots and really moving Camerin around the court and if she plays like that in qualies, who knows she might qualify. I was quite impressed with how she plays, but her balls have to land in lol.

polishprodigy
Aug 8th, 2003, 03:41 AM
Ok it couldn't be Garbin, she is playing in Cuneo.

Does anyone know who else it could be ? Its an italian player with blond long hair.

polishprodigy
Aug 8th, 2003, 03:45 AM
Looking at the committment lists, it looks to be Francesca Schiavone. If not her , then Grande. ARghh.. I will find out on Saturday lol.

Xian
Aug 8th, 2003, 11:10 AM
wont be Schiavone nor Grande both played in Los Angeles yesterday

the only Italian I know who is playing in North Amercia is Alberta Brianti or maybe Lubiani

Peetz
Aug 8th, 2003, 02:42 PM
Hey polishprodigy!
In the match between Claudine and Wartusch,Wartusch broke three raquets!For this she got disqualified but then the chair umpire took back his decision(IMHO he shouldn´t have done this)!This frustrated Claudine of course and she lost the match very closely!
I´m sure Claudine will qualify for the MD and cause some trouble! ;)

per4ever
Aug 8th, 2003, 02:56 PM
Nice to see some more Claudine fans..but I already knew you were fans too :D:D

I saw her matches in Antwerp..got her signature too. She's a great girl :)

Experimentee
Aug 8th, 2003, 02:59 PM
Wow thats cool. I wish i could meet Claudine too :)

TheBoiledEgg
Aug 8th, 2003, 03:02 PM
Italian with blonde hair....... Mara Santangelo is my guess
she wasn't in Cuneo

spiceboy
Aug 8th, 2003, 07:21 PM
Italian with blonde hair....... Mara Santangelo is my guess
she wasn't in Cuneo

Eggy is right ;)

Maria Elena and Mara were together in Palermo all the time and I actually had a boat ride with both of them and my friend Dominique :p But beautiful? :rolleyes: and long hair :confused: she was wearing a wig I guess... and she's so serious and not very talkative (except to curse and complain on court :fiery: ask lovely Ivana Abramovic about her ;) )

BTW, Claudine is a very nice girl and goes everywhere with her mother, one of her best friends on tour is Julia Schruff back from her ITF days and is a real fighter :worship:

Peetz
Aug 8th, 2003, 08:04 PM
hey per4ever!
I practised a whole year on the court next to her! ;)

polishprodigy
Aug 9th, 2003, 12:16 AM
I looked at pics of Mara Santangelo, and TBH, she doesn't look much like this girl. Ok, this girl had dirty blonde hair in a tatarkova-like braided style, was quite talkative and very jokey with Maria Elena and her coach. So i guess if it fits Mara's personality, then I guess it is. All I know is that she kept complaining how she did not play Claudine and then played Maria Elena in a practice match when I left.

Claudine is very nice. I will cheer for her tomorrow, I think I will take pics too lol.

polishprodigy
Aug 9th, 2003, 12:17 AM
And I will take pics of this "Mara" as well! ;)

controlfreak
Aug 9th, 2003, 01:42 AM
Strange qualifying draw... looks like Claudine just has to beat Maria Vento-Kabchi (WTA 85) to qualify. Definitely possible! The points from that would probably put her top 100 as well (probably being the key word in that sentence...)

polishprodigy
Aug 9th, 2003, 01:53 AM
phew :) not camerin :)

per4ever
Aug 9th, 2003, 10:02 AM
hey per4ever!
I practised a whole year on the court next to her! ;)
don't make me jealous :o

cheer well for her and please post your pictures :D

Experimentee
Aug 9th, 2003, 03:52 PM
Strange qualifying draw... looks like Claudine just has to beat Maria Vento-Kabchi (WTA 85) to qualify. Definitely possible! The points from that would probably put her top 100 as well (probably being the key word in that sentence...)

Vento is in good form now, i would expect her to win that match over Claudine, but i guess anything can happen. Top 100 soon definitely looks possible though, she is so close.

spiceboy
Aug 10th, 2003, 03:04 PM
Ok it couldn't be Garbin, she is playing in Cuneo.

Does anyone know who else it could be ? Its an italian player with blond long hair.

It could be Emmanuelle Gagliardi as she speaks perfect Italian, she's beautiful and have long hair (not very blonde anyway)