PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone been on Accutane or RoActuane?

RYNJ
Aug 7th, 2003, 02:16 AM
My friend is about to start his treatment but I read some things about it and it has some pretty bad side effects, so for all the people who went on this drug how was it foryou?

Malin
Aug 7th, 2003, 02:22 AM
I've known some people on it, i don't remember any bad side effects, what are they??

CoryAnnAvants#1
Aug 7th, 2003, 02:25 AM
My friend is about to start his treatment but I read some things about it and it has some pretty bad side effects, so for all the people who went on this drug how was it foryou?

I'm taking it now and I'm on my third month. First off, let me say it WORKS. I never had the really horrible acne that makes your face like a big greasy pizza, but the few pimples I did have wouldn't go away with any kind of soap, cream or prescription med. My dermatologist said that after six months of treatment, you will not get another zit. Ever. The way Accutane works is that it basically sucks all the oil out of your skin. Because of that, it can have major side effects. You have to put chap stick on every couple of hours because it really fucks up your lips, especially if you're out on the sun. If you don't put it on, your lips can become so chapped that this crust can cover your lips and even spread a little bit outside your lips. When that happens it hurts like a bitch to open your mouth wide. That's the only side effect I have. The other side effects they report are very very rare.

As far as the reports in the news that a few kids who committed suicide were on Accutane, they were already depressed to begin with. It has nothing to do with the medicine. All I can say is that having clear skin for the first time in years is so worth the small price of having chapped lips.

JasonW
Aug 7th, 2003, 02:33 AM
I just finished it. It worked like a charm. I had no side effects and would recommend it to anyone. It's the only thing thats worked, and i'm very happy. My derm has had no patients with problems from it, so...

GBFH
Aug 7th, 2003, 02:39 AM
Hmm, this sounds intriguing. How much does it cost?

Peter M
Aug 7th, 2003, 02:56 AM
I have been off it for 6 weeks now. Good stuff. I never had bad skin but always had 1 or 2 zits. It dries the hell out of your skin while you are on it. My skin was so dry all over... esp my face. Mid-treatment, I had to stop using soap on my face b/c it would dry it out too much. I just used water.

My lips were, by far, the warst side effect. I had to use special chap stick 24/7. Literally, I had to reapply every 10 minutes. I would even have to wake up in the middle of the night to put more on. It was sick shit. Then, I developed a nasty cold sore that woudn't go the fuck away.

But, now, after all is said and done, it was all worth it. You have to see your Doc every 3-4 weeks and need a blood test every month, too. It prob cost about $5,000 for the treatment. But, insurance paid for mine.

GBFH
Aug 7th, 2003, 02:59 AM
I'll talk to my parents about this...and I'm already addicted to chap stick, so applying 24/7 won't be a problem. Thanks for the info, guys!

decemberlove
Aug 7th, 2003, 03:12 AM
g, unless you have super bad skin, you really shouldnt do it.

have you tried any lines?

http://www.mariobadescu.com/

i know SJP uses it, along with a few other stars. the drying lotion is AMAZING.

Bacardi
Aug 7th, 2003, 03:14 AM
My little cousin took it, it really helped him.... and he's done with his treatment now... It really worked! He never had any side-effects. Side effects only occur in a few select people.... It might be the meds bringing it out, it might not.

GBFH
Aug 7th, 2003, 03:19 AM
g, unless you have super bad skin, you really shouldnt do it.

have you tried any lines?

http://www.mariobadescu.com/

i know SJP uses it, along with a few other stars. the drying lotion is AMAZING.

It's not SUPERbad, but I have a bunch of blemishes around my mouth and cheekbones which haven't gone away in nine years. I tried Proactiv for a little while, but it really didn't help me much...some of the bigger blemishes went away, but it really dried out my skin and I was more susceptible to sunburns which I do NOT need while living in Texas.

But I'll check out this link, holiday. Thanks :) You feeling better?

decemberlove
Aug 7th, 2003, 03:25 AM
i used proactiv for a bit. my skin doesnt break out that much (i think cos i dont wear makeup) but it gets oily in the summer. i still use the face wash occ, but the third step of proactiv, that weird lotion, ALWAYS made me breakout. it was horrible. we asked the people at proactiv about it and they said it was just bringing out all the oil in my skin. well NO THANKS. ill leave it there.

if you go to that link, and fill out the form under consulting, theyll send u an email and usually send you some samples to your house.

proactiv had a good spf oil-free moisturizer that i used to use. but the mario honey moisturizer is even better. it feels weird when you first put it on, but a few minutes later its real light and makes your skin sooooo smooth and soft.

im actually not feeling better g :sad:
im not improving, i think im just getting worse

howve you been? and WHERE the hell have you been?

GBFH
Aug 7th, 2003, 03:37 AM
lmao, it brings OUT the oil in your skin? erm, wasn't the point of using this shit to STOP making your skin oily? good lord. That moisturizer sounds pretty nice...but I'm using these Dove daily face scrubs, they're REALLY nice, makes my skin soft. But acne seems to be something I'll have to fight until my dying day, I suppose. But definently, I'm gonna check out that link!

oy vey! Have you been to the doctor? Maybe you have the flu or pneumonia? I'm so sorry, Holiday :sad: I command you to get better!

lmao, I haven't been anywhere. I've missed ya, though!

decemberlove
Aug 7th, 2003, 04:09 AM
yeah its posed to bring it all out so its gone and doesnt come out. but it gives you those painful cyst like things

and ooh, i just tried out dove shampoo, its real nice

cant go to the doc, no insurance

too bad dr fuckme isnt around anymore :(

GBFH
Aug 7th, 2003, 04:13 AM
cysts??? :eek: that sounds nasty. bleh!

dove has a shampoo? hmmmm....I'm almost out, think I'll get some tomorrow!

no insurance? goddamn! you have extra strength medicine or anything? tylenol cold and flu really helped me a week or so ago.

:sad: no dr.fuckme? Will you have a chance to see him at all during the fall term? Bet that'd make you feel better ;)

decemberlove
Aug 7th, 2003, 04:18 AM
dr fuckme coaches my college mens bball team. this season ill have a sudden burst of school spirit :devil: i was gonna take a class, but im takin six classes this semester, one winter class, and seven spring classes, so i dont really have the time. plus i dont need it :(

i have robitussin honey flu shit. thats all thou

GBFH
Aug 7th, 2003, 04:27 AM
holy shit, holiday! you still gonna post this fall? don't disappear!!! especially if you get dr.fuckme in the sack! we need details! details!

well why doesn't your man go and get you some good cold/flu medicine? can't he see you're suffering???

decemberlove
Aug 7th, 2003, 04:36 AM
he doesnt care :(

ill prolly still be around, just not much

all my classes are tues-thur
i have morning and evening classes. i thinks its better than spreading it out mon-wed-fri, yknow?

GBFH
Aug 7th, 2003, 04:52 AM
well what an asshole!! :mad:
you need to beat that boy's ass!

yeah, I know what you mean. Tuesday/Thursday classes are great. always get a four-day weekend. and with your course-load, looks like you'll need all the time off you can get! Just don't be a total stranger :) It'll get too dull without ya.

Dahveed
Aug 7th, 2003, 03:15 PM
I used it and i really recommend it, my acne was so bad when i was around 15 and it totally disappeared in a period of 6 months or something.

Side effects are terrible sometimes though i remember running outside under the sun i was burning but like really burning, my face was aching so much and now my lips are always dry so i need this lipstick thingie yeah but well it's worth the try.

Also if you're a girl, i heard you have to be absolutely sure you are not pregnant cos it's impossible to take this drug wile you're pregnant it would kill the baby or whatever.

JoeyWinson3.0
Aug 7th, 2003, 03:46 PM
I was on roaccutane for six months. Put it this way, it works, but it has many side effects, in some cases these can cause serious problems.

I suffered from depression and mood swings, migraines and aching joints, very very dry skin and awful chapped lips.

I saw a programme about people trying to ban it, it had one lad on who lost all the senses in his lips permanently because they had got so dry and chapped.

But it will get rid of your acne, it's kind of a last resort acne drug...

There has actually been a thread on roaccutane before from what i remember.

Lee-Waters' Boy
Aug 7th, 2003, 04:10 PM
I used accutane, and it worked great. I get like one zit every month now and thats it. The side effects for me were non existent. I didn't even have the problem w/ dry lips, but I know many who have.

The only downfall is the price. At the beginning my parents had this insurance where they pay like 20% of the cost of a medecine and they pay 80% so we were paying like 125 a month and total cost was like 600. Then we switched to the co-pay and only paid $5 and they paid the rest. So its expensive so make sure you have the right insurance :P

Nikola
Aug 7th, 2003, 04:28 PM
A firend of mine used roaccutan, and it cost him like 150$ a month, and all he needed was a blood test each month so he can be sure everything is in normal.
I know he told me his skin wasn't oily, nor his hair, and that was after like only 10 days time, but his lips were killing him, and he felt no other bad effects.
Oh, yeah, he also told me that maximum to use it was like 8 months, and it took him only 4, and after that he gave a shit can to his old, and got a better looking boyfriend :o