PDA

View Full Version : Wednesday report

korben
Aug 6th, 2003, 07:44 PM
Arrived nearly in time and headed to Court 1 where Kuti Kis and Casanova were fighting. What has happened to Myriam ? Saw her many times last year and thought it is only a matter of time when she hits Top 30. Now plays like her ranking suggests ? Not many really long rallies in this. Actually players were pretty equal to my eye. For two sets.
Then Myriam find some of her "not that old" form and cruised away.

Weather for the day. Sunny/half cloudy 22-23C or so all time. Only bad thing left from yesterday was high wind. No rain breaks.

Kostanic and Pennetta had started their match so headed there. Was something like 5/1 Kostanic and if I counted right she took 1st set on her 10th ! setpoint. Flavia looked frustrated at that point. So much work for nothing :( 2nd set looked like Flavia was slightly better all the time. But in the end wasnīt. Jelena took it home with her 4th MP. Close match and had some very good shots. Like in one MP, Flavia hit passing winner in full strech and to the line. Jelena should have a good chance versus Anabel ?!

Then had to watch two matches at same time.

Marrero and Koulikovskaya, ok I have said that Marta played ok in the Q and that her serve isnīt that good. Now in wind her serve was completely gone. In 3rd or 4th game of the match she made 5 (!!!) DFs
And total must have been way over 20 :eek: And some of those "serves" hardly reached the net , after 1st bounce :lol: Neither player managed to hold serve very often. There were some good shots but have to say it was worst match of the day playing vice. Exciting to the end. Evgenia was 2 points away about 5 times, didnīt have any MPs. Marta took it home on her 2nd MP and was naturally happy. Poor Evgenia she is so positive and laughing off court. Hopefully she does well in the doubles. :)

And Hlavachkova - Pistolesi, Jana continued her good play from Q, unlike player she beat in the last round. Was really giving Anna rough time hitting winners from all positions. :eek: But as so often experience paid off and Anna kept her cool in big points. Jana struggled on those so that was that. Anna was put on defence (that she does so well) so have to give Jana some credit. Sheīll be rising from current ranking. And a lot. :worship:

Then Sprem and Rittner took center court. Very clear script in this. K-lina was hitting like a girl possessed and Babsi got nearly all back. So most points ended on K-linas winner or UE. Rittner is one hell of a defence player ! And have to say had better game mind. Made Sprem look dumb in some cases. In the end K-lina broke and took 5/3 lead. So that should have been it. What does she do ? Hits an UE and 3DFs in a row. Next game she was back to normal and hit some unreturnable winners. Still looked to rush some shots. Like in 2nd set was 5/4 and 30/15 up on Babsi serve. Played her off the court and got easiest of put aways. Like really slow lob barely reaching her side. And she smashed it to bottom of the net :) Best match of the tournament so far. :bounce:

Chladkova - Douchevina, well I wonder where my eyes were in Veras 1st match ? :) Ok Denisa has quite high ball toss so was serving badly. But Vera did look like a world beater today. I thought this goes like Denisa makes most of play and Vera runs to all she can reach. It was exactly vice-versa. No question of final score during the match. Vera should be in the semi if she continues like that.

After that prettiest players of wta took Court 1, Tatiana, well she had like "Iīm sad today" look on her face at the start. Had her right arm protected so looked like trouble for her. And trouble she got. Petra was just too good today. Tati couldnīt get much back. Positive note of her is that she made probably as many drop shot winners as Petra. Whose forehand DS is best in planet ! Never misses it (ok,ok she missed it once versus Rubin at RG) :rolleyes: Will be very interesting match between Petra and K-lina, power versus touch.

That was singles. Main match on center was Emma Laine/Sofia Arvidsson vs. Anca Barna/Maria Wolfbrandt.

Maria clearly weakest player of the match. Other three pretty equal but as a finn have to give best player award to Emma (no kidding) she was very good and has lots of touch and doubles mind so not that surprising.
Scoreline tells it all and if I counted right Emma rises from 867th to 443rd in doubles after that :bounce:

Didnīt see enough of three other doubles to make a comment.

Crowd yesterday about 1.000, today about 700-800 or so.

TheBoiledEgg
Aug 6th, 2003, 07:55 PM
thanx Korben for the report again :)

great details

i take it u only saw parts of Vera's match as it clashed with Sprem's ;)

So Vera was doing alot of retrieving ??
not seen that too much, but still it did good.

KV
Aug 6th, 2003, 07:57 PM
How about Mandula? Did she make the best impression in today's matches?
BTW thanks for the report.

Alek
Aug 6th, 2003, 08:19 PM
Main match on center was Emma Laine/Sofia Arvidsson vs. Anca Barna/Maria Wolfbrandt.

Maria clearly weakest player of the match. Other three pretty equal but as a finn have to give best player award to Emma (no kidding) she was very good and has lots of touch and doubles mind so not that surprising.
Scoreline tells it all and if I counted right Emma rises from 867th to 443rd in doubles after that :bounce:

Maria :mad:

korben
Aug 6th, 2003, 08:20 PM
thanx Korben for the report again :)

great details

i take it u only saw parts of Vera's match as it clashed with Sprem's ;)

So Vera was doing alot of retrieving ??
not seen that too much, but still it did good.

I do try to watch two matches at same time. Can do it when being ... wait a second... thats me in the picture. From Vutt s photo gallery http://www.vutt.neti.ee/Helsinki03/Rest/images/P1050120%20copy.jpg

Iīm probably there on top of left side. So can watch center and court 1 same time easily. Court 2 little bit in distance but can see scoreboard and play if nothing interesting happens on two main courts.

Karolina is one to watch and her match did have better rallies so yes looked at it more. (btw. those two young guns have been hitting partners in practise) U really sure that her mother is not her coach too ? She is with Vera at practise too. Dunno what you mean with "retrieving" but Vera was making most of the play (read : outpowering) in her match. Didnīt make that many errors as in 1st round (didnīt see "that much" of that have to say) After changing fore- or backhands she mainly took the chance and made long the line. Chladkova is very good player so to make that have to read the game well surprisingly she does. How many of these can russia produce in a year :eek: Youīll have 20 in Top 100 in no time :eek: [SIZE=1](And your little neigbour has one in top 1000)[SIZE=1/]

And Petra was good. She is playing her best tennis at the moment. Now doesnīt have to "waste" energy on doubles either so cheer her for the 1st title :bounce: And from score thread. She need to win Sprem to hold her, now career high, ranking. (beat ASV here last year so lots of quality points disappear)

[S@nti]
Aug 6th, 2003, 08:23 PM
lol @ Marta :rolleyes:

nice report ;)

korben
Aug 6th, 2003, 08:37 PM
Oh nearly forgot.

There was on medium sized dog that belonged to one of volunter. He/she was sitting there alone when owner was on duty. And for whole day too (on shadow and with planty of water). Players that scrached him/her. One - Ludmila Cervanova :bounce: :D :hearts: Iīm supporting her too from now on :bounce:

[S@nti]
Aug 6th, 2003, 08:41 PM
korben did marta play that bad? lol

TheBoiledEgg
Aug 6th, 2003, 08:43 PM
oh thanx Korben, i read it wrong
i thought eh, Vera on defensive :confused: and she still won :)

but now i get you, great Vera was her powerful self :)

korben
Aug 6th, 2003, 08:52 PM
korben did marta play that bad? lol

She didnīt hit that badly. But when serving like 6 year old it kinda ruins whole game :rolleyes: When ball was in play she was better of the two, Kīkovskaya played kinda well too on her standards. Mixed feeling of result, was hoping that Marta wins but Evgenia is something like 1-12 in last 13 so would have made good for her too. Canīt see Marta advancing any further in this tournament but maybe she can lift her game again. :wavey: And additional sidenotes: From our tv coverage (5 minutes / day :eek: ) Marta played backgammon in one short picture and they said that this was second warmest wta tournament last year (AO was warmest ?) , wonīt be this year.

Dymension
Aug 7th, 2003, 06:39 AM
Thanks for report :)

paellapan
Aug 7th, 2003, 08:49 AM
nice report :wavey:

are you serious one of the serves of Marrero bounced before the net ? :eek: :lol:

well, I like those humoristic notes :)

Beat
Aug 7th, 2003, 09:46 AM
K-lina was hitting like a girl possessed

i like this description! :lol:

thanks so much for your great reports! :bigclap:

King Aaron
Aug 7th, 2003, 03:22 PM
Thanks. :)
Is Myriam really struggling that bad?