PDA

View Full Version : Congrats Europeans!

Rocketta
Aug 5th, 2003, 07:52 PM
Your getting your first Krispy Kreme. :bounce: :bounce: ;)

Krispy Kreme to Add Pounds to Bottom Line
Tue Aug 5, 9:49 AM ET Add Business - Reuters to My Yahoo!

By David Jones

LONDON (Reuters) - Fast-growing U.S. chain Krispy Kreme Doughnuts Inc is moving to Europe in October with the opening of a doughnut "factory" at London's upmarket Harrods department store, the group said on Tuesday.

The company, which makes 7.5 million hot glazed doughnuts a day and runs over 300 retail stores in North America, launched a five-year program to build 25 stores in the major towns and cities of Britain and Ireland.

Don Henshall, head of the group's UK operations, hopes his product, all made in the store, will mirror the explosive growth of coffee bars in Britain, especially as the group has no immediate competition here in the doughnut market.

"In Britain, the doughnut market is a market without a brand," Henshall said in an interview with Reuters.

He said cut-throat competition among coffee chains and tough trading at Britain's pubs and bars could make it slightly easier to find sites in Britain.

The group, based in Winston-Salem, North Carolina (My home for 7 years...:hearts:), announced plans to come to Britain last November but warned it might take 18 months to find a site.

The link with Harrods, which will provide a separate street access to the doughnut shop for early-morning trade, has accelerated its opening program.

The London store will be only the company's second store outside North America. The first was in Sydney.

In addition to Britain and Australia, the group has targeted Japan, South Korea (news - web sites) and Spain for overseas expansion.

Krispy Kreme has retained a 34 percent stake in the UK franchise operation, with the rest held by private investors. It said it does not plan to raise equity for UK expansion.

Big Fat Pink Elephant
Aug 5th, 2003, 08:00 PM
oh god... not healthy...... :p

alexusjonesfan
Aug 5th, 2003, 08:02 PM
omg, they've gone over to the dark side!

Damn Krispy Kreme, they're trying to disenfranchise all the self-respecting Tim Hortons up here :fiery:

Barrie_Dude
Aug 5th, 2003, 08:02 PM
:lick: :lick: Krispy Kreme Good! :lick: :lick:

Kanji
Aug 5th, 2003, 08:04 PM
A few months after Montreal, we are getting our first Krispy Kreme factory in Quebec City this fall as well! They were giving boxes of doughnuts a few weeks ago to promote the shop's opening and I had the chance to taste my first Krispy Kreme doughnut. Oh my! They are delicious! :lick:

Kanji
Aug 5th, 2003, 08:05 PM
Damn Krispy Kreme, they're trying to disenfranchise all the self-respecting Tim Hortons up here :fiery:
I never go to Tim Hortons, but I will definetely go to Krispy Kreme factory...

Rocketta
Aug 5th, 2003, 08:08 PM
I never go to Tim Hortons, but I will definetely go to Krispy Kreme factory...

There's nothing like a "hot" one rolling off the assembly line! :lick: :drool:

gentenaire
Aug 5th, 2003, 08:09 PM
I'm afraid I don't like doughnuts :o

Ted of Teds Tennis
Aug 5th, 2003, 08:25 PM
Kanji wrote:
A few months after Montreal, we are getting our first Krispy Kreme factory in Quebec City this fall as well!

Are they allowed to call it "Krispy Kreme" in Quebec? I figure they'd have to call it something like Crème Crispée in order to keep the language police off their backs. ;)

Cariaoke
Aug 5th, 2003, 08:46 PM
OMG... krispy kreme is heaven! they're so light and fluffy that they literally melt in your mouth. gawd... krispy kreme in buckhead... I must go there, now! :drool:

the boxed krispy kreme is horrible compared to the freshly dipped masterpiece... and you have to pick up a krispy kreme paper hat. it's required. :D

Bacardi
Aug 5th, 2003, 09:22 PM
Krispy Kreme RULES!!!!!!! I love me some Krispy Kreme! :lick:

Krispy Kreme is better than sex if you ask me. ;) :lol: :yeah:

There is a factory around here, it's open 24 hours. Well the drive thru anyway the lobby is open until 12pm. I go in there all the time and watch doughnuts roll off the assembly line. My favorite glazed with chocolate icing on top. MMMMMM :lick: :drool:

Enjoy Krispy Kreme Europe! :wavey:

selesfan1
Aug 5th, 2003, 09:27 PM
Krispy Creme IMO is not that good. People talk like if there are fireworks going off when they eat them. They are way too small, way too expensive for a dozen( considering the size of the doughnut).

Car Key Boi
Aug 5th, 2003, 09:34 PM
Krispy Creme rulz! :lick:

but the eurotards ain't seen nothing yet

today it's Krispy Creme, but the future is TACO BELL!

ra! :bounce:

Bacardi
Aug 5th, 2003, 09:38 PM
TACO HELL..... I happen to like going there..... In fact the local one owes me $10 worth of free food for fucking up my order. :lol: :p

mmmmmmmm Tomorrow I think it's Taco Hell then Krispy Kreme. :drool: :lick:

Rocketta
Aug 5th, 2003, 09:59 PM
:drool: :drool: :drool:

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20030805/capt.1060105571.britain_krispy_kreme_lon816.jpg

Kanji
Aug 5th, 2003, 10:12 PM
Kanji wrote:

Are they allowed to call it "Krispy Kreme" in Quebec? I figure they'd have to call it something like Crème Crispée in order to keep the language police off their backs. ;)
That law doesn't apply on trademarks and business names. ;)

Otherwise, I see from here some of the strange name we would get.... "The Gap" would be "Le Trou"! :eek:

Hot 92 Jamz
Aug 5th, 2003, 10:13 PM
Swell. More exemplary contributions from America to the culinary world. I hear an Arthur Treacher's will be opening in Paris by the start of Roland Garros next year.

http://images.viacomlocalnetworks.com/images_image_191131211

Barrie_Dude
Aug 5th, 2003, 10:31 PM
A few months after Montreal, we are getting our first Krispy Kreme factory in Quebec City this fall as well! They were giving boxes of doughnuts a few weeks ago to promote the shop's opening and I had the chance to taste my first Krispy Kreme doughnut. Oh my! They are delicious! :lick:Soooooooo......we can expect you to hijack a Krispy Kreme truck than? ;) :p

Kanji
Aug 5th, 2003, 10:51 PM
Soooooooo......we can expect you to hijack a Krispy Kreme truck than? ;) :p
Not really Barrie, I will limit myself to buy a dozen at the factory like a good citizen. :angel:

Barrie_Dude
Aug 5th, 2003, 10:56 PM
Not really Barrie, I will limit myself to buy a dozen at the factory like a good citizen. :angel:One Dozen Doughnuts or One Dozen Boxes Of A Dozen Doughnuts? ;) :D

Miss Thang
Aug 6th, 2003, 12:45 AM
I luv me some Krispy Kreme! Hot out the oven with a cold glass a milk. :drool:

Mase
Aug 6th, 2003, 12:55 AM
Krispy Kreme doughnuts kick ass!! Congrats on getting them out there... You have to eat them warm atleast once, if not every time! ;)

Colin B
Aug 6th, 2003, 01:37 AM
Well, as long as they don't claim to have 'jelly' in their jam doughnuts, I may try one. However, if they have a franchise in Harrods, the cost is likely to be prohibitive, so I'll probably just settle for profitéroles, éclares, meringues or gateaux elsewhere; they're all much nicer than doughnuts anyway.

Big Fat Pink Elephant
Aug 6th, 2003, 01:41 AM
so much excitement over some round thingy with a hole in the middle! :D

Colin, will you mail some up to norway? ;)

Colin B
Aug 6th, 2003, 02:12 AM
Colin, will you mail some up to norway? ;)

I thought you'd written e mail some, so I tried stuffing an éclare in this slot on my PC that my daughter said is for 'floppies' - well, éclares are a bit floppy!
Anyway the machine seemed to be having trouble swallowing, so I washed it down with a cheeky little dessert wine I found in the fridge. The screen went all green and everything started to shake violently and a loud groaning noise came from the speakers, before the printer projectile vomitted the whole lot, including carrots (ever noticed that? No matter what you've been eating, when you're sick there's always bits of carrot!), all over Ikea's finest computer table.

Any advice on getting bits of chocolate, cream, choux pastry and cuveé out of the little gaps on a keyboard, gratefully recieved.

spokenword73
Aug 6th, 2003, 02:19 AM
Thanks for the article!!

Enjoy the calories everyone! You only live once!!

Sam L
Aug 6th, 2003, 02:23 AM
We have one in Australia and it's fairly close to where I live, but I hate doughnuts. Acck!

Ted of Teds Tennis
Aug 6th, 2003, 03:23 AM
Kanji wrote:
That law doesn't apply on trademarks and business names.

Weren't several businesses with English-language names firebombed a few years back?

DutchieGirl
Aug 6th, 2003, 03:25 AM
We have one in Australia and it's fairly close to where I live, but I hate doughnuts. Acck!

I'm glad there's not one in Melbourne (at least not that I know of).

Ted of Teds Tennis
Aug 6th, 2003, 03:26 AM
Big Fat Pink Elephant wrote:
so much excitement over some round thingy with a hole in the middle! :D

Aren't women round, with a hole in the middle? :lol: :devil:

DutchieGirl
Aug 6th, 2003, 03:33 AM
Big Fat Pink Elephant wrote:

Aren't women round, with a hole in the middle? :lol: :devil:

Actually, I think that would more apply to men... if you think about it, women have two holes! :p

treufreund
Aug 6th, 2003, 05:14 AM
they ain't all that. I mean they are good and all but compared to my momma's homemade cinnabuns they ain't all that.

Krispy kreme=toxic waste/assembly line "food"

but fresh off the assembly line they are good :D

but in general I am opposed to all of this fake food. real bakeries in France, Germany, Holland, etc have things that taste a million times better and if I want true junk food in Germany I will go to the bakery (a good one) and get fresh BERLINERS :drool:

Martian Stacey
Aug 6th, 2003, 05:22 AM
I'm glad there's not one in Melbourne (at least not that I know of).
nah i think the only Krispy Kreme in Oz is the one in Penrith (near me!! :D ;) )