PDA

View Full Version : Who do think will be the next player making a Grand Slam Final debut?

Happy Guy
Jan 30th, 2002, 08:03 PM
I seriously think that Jelena Dokic might be the next.:)

Brαm
Jan 30th, 2002, 08:37 PM
Dokic or Shaughnessy.. Maybe in 2004 ;)

Rollo
Jan 30th, 2002, 08:44 PM
I'd be very surprised(happily) if Meghann even breaks the top 10. Dokic:)

mishar
Jan 30th, 2002, 08:46 PM
Hantuchova

thefreedesigner
Jan 30th, 2002, 08:53 PM
Jelena next.

ys
Jan 30th, 2002, 09:06 PM
Elena D.

thefreedesigner
Jan 30th, 2002, 09:08 PM
ys, I'd love for it to be Elena (I really would), she has yet to truly show me that she has another level in her (to go better than SF).

I believe she has another level, I just don't see it yet!

sartrista7
Jan 30th, 2002, 09:15 PM
Tough one, actually. Jelena's the closest in ranking terms, but I really don't see her in a Slam final any time soon. Maybe - hopefully - Elena D; it still strikes me that this slump which has been going on for over a year *isn't* a true reflection of her talent, and that once she finally breaks out of it she could do serious damage. Daniela - I have a feeling she's going to do big things this year, and I wouldn't be surprised at all.

No-one's mentioned Anna K. Before her injury she'd improved to an extent that you *could* see her on the brink of the next step, and she hasn't been unimpressive this year. She thrives at Wimbledon, where there are traditionally lots of upsets and holes in the draw... there could be a chance there.

But I'm still going to go with Daniela.

wongqks
Jan 30th, 2002, 09:21 PM
I think mentally, Jelena is the most ready, I need to see her performance in Tokyo to be sure, but it seems like that she reach the point where she is confident in beating a lot of players, there are still a lot of players which she still cannot beat like Monica, Venus, Serena (I think) and Lindsay, but so are a lot of top players, I think she is ready for the next step, her chance will be at Wimbledon and French where upsets are iminent

apoet29
Jan 30th, 2002, 09:32 PM
This one's tough. Personally, I think the current top ten is so tough, that it is going to be difficult for any player to make their grand slam debut this year.

Bright Red
Jan 30th, 2002, 09:53 PM
Definitely Dokic. She sacrificed the AO to train, and already have a pretty good game. She's had quite a bit of experience in top tier finals against at least one top player, and therefore knows the amount of pressure at that level. Given this, she'll be the first to debut, although she'll probably not win.

Daniel
Jan 30th, 2002, 09:54 PM
<center> http://mhic.free.fr/pa/it/310027.jpg </center>

:) :) :) :)

irma
Jan 30th, 2002, 10:25 PM
I think Jelena is most logical bet right now

Rollo
Jan 30th, 2002, 10:27 PM
Hantuchova if she gets her head together.

Elske
Jan 30th, 2002, 10:32 PM
Iroda Tulyaganova

Sonja
Jan 30th, 2002, 10:33 PM
I wouldn't be surprised to see Daniela in a final. She's been playing well and has the game to trouble the top players.

RAA
Jan 30th, 2002, 10:33 PM
I agree with an earlier poster - i'll have to see how Jelena plays in Toyko this week. She'll either be raring to go, or rusty. but I think she's a good bet to get pretty close.
I'm excited about Hantuchova. Sounds like she's going to be a great player to watch. I think maybe a GS semi for her would be a great 2002.
Ruth in Philly PA USA

gentenaire
Jan 30th, 2002, 10:34 PM
Meghan

saki
Jan 31st, 2002, 12:13 AM
Jelena Dokic. Definitely. She's been working on the weaknesses in her game, she's got the drive, the concentration. And perhaps most importantly, she can play on all surfaces. Her best chance would probably be at Wimbledon or RG, but she could make either of the other finals too.

Daniela is a great talent and should do well this year, but I don't think she's quite ready for a GS final. HOpefully, we'll see her in the semis though!

disposablehero
Jan 31st, 2002, 12:14 AM
I don't expect it to happen at all this year. Maybe not next year either. I would say if its in the next 2 years Dokic is the most likely.

Dawn Marie
Jan 31st, 2002, 12:32 AM
I think it would be Jelena and as far as past winners I think Serena is due for a final for sure:)

Scotso
Jan 31st, 2002, 10:11 AM
I think Hantuchova as well.

hugetennisfan
Jan 31st, 2002, 10:55 AM
To get to a final, Daniela's going to have to actually win against some of the top players. She very capable, but she hasn't yet actually beaten them. Once she does, I'll vote for her.

I'll say the next new finalist will be either Jelena Dokic, Meghann, or maybe Alexandra Stevenson. But it would be nice if one of the older players, like Sandrine made a final before retirement. For Sandrine, the finals of the French would be nice!

Justinator
Jan 31st, 2002, 07:55 PM
Most probably Jelena

Mateo Mathieu
Jan 31st, 2002, 08:03 PM
Jelena Dokic

I would love see Iroda Tulyaganova in Final of GS :)

Oh, Rachel McQuillan will be next! :p (I wish!)

daNieLa iS cUtE
Jan 31st, 2002, 08:45 PM
I'm gonna put a few quid on Daniela Hantuchova to win the French or Wimbledon 2002...SINGLES! :eek:

Odds will be very long, but it's not as if she's a complete unknown. Of course, doubles glory would be more likely.
She certainly made her name during the Aussie Open down here at Melb! And after such a successful tournament, she'll be playing with a lot of confidence I reckon... :cool: :wavey:

If she can put together a good run in the lead-ups to the 2 grand slams, that would get her ranking and confidence even higher. It's a pity it won't affect her seeding(am I right?) that much as the Grand Slams have their own seeding system based on performances+actual ranking. That's how I understand it to be on the men's tour, shd be the same for women's too? Or was that for Wimbledon only?
:)

Randy H
Feb 1st, 2002, 01:44 AM
well Dokic to me seems like the best bet as far as a short term pick, considering she's been to a quarter and semi before, plus last year she starting winning events.

I think Hantuchova isn't out of the question, though I think give her a year or two to start consistently getting some top 10 wins and she can make her way through to the finals of a slam potentially.

Alberto
Feb 1st, 2002, 02:52 AM
Magi Serna or Silvia Farina

Fingon
Feb 1st, 2002, 03:01 AM
hmmm, to be in a Grand Slam final they will need to beat at least one top player.

Jelena so far hasn't showed she can do that, even though she's improved she hasn't even put a fight against players like Martina, Monica, Lindsay, I can't see her getting to a GS final unless her game changes dramatically.

I think Daniela Hantuchova will likely be in a GS final at some point, how soon? I can't tell, Bedanova also.

Tulyaganova is far too inconsistent I can't see her getting pass the quarters.

Elena can do it, but she needs to put her acts together.

Anna has a chance if she gets back to her old level, maybe in Wimbledon.

I don't see Meghann getting there.

Happy Guy
Feb 1st, 2002, 04:23 PM
Anna!:)

~RedRose~
Feb 1st, 2002, 04:24 PM
I cant belive Anna hasnt made a grand slam final yet!! I think That Jelena will be the next ... although a rusty start to the year i think she could maybe pull off a final this year, hopefully!! :)

thefreedesigner
Feb 1st, 2002, 04:30 PM
Like others have said, a new slam finalist this year looks likely.

So... Anna could be in with a shout next year. I think Daniela has some work to do to edge past Jelena, Tulyaganova even more.

Let's see how Alexandra develops this year too. 2003 may not be too soon for her depending on how she builds this year?

Jessica02
Feb 2nd, 2002, 02:06 AM
Miss Hantuchova has already won 2 slams in mixed doubles she is definitely gonna be the Clijsters of 2002.

Bright Red
Feb 2nd, 2002, 02:32 AM
I still would bet on Dokic. But if she doesn't, I wouldn't be surprised if either Alex or Hantuchova makes it. If any of those three achieve it without beating one of the Williamses either during the final or in the process of reaching the final, then I'll be one happy camper.

KoOlMaNsEaN
Feb 2nd, 2002, 05:15 AM
I think its Jelena Dokic or Daniela Hantuchova

Kart
Feb 2nd, 2002, 07:23 AM
Well if it is Dokic, which seems to me the most likely choice, then I guess it'll be some time before we see another grand slam debutante.

Aci79
Feb 2nd, 2002, 09:17 AM
Hantuchova is a good one.. but I'm not sure if she's ready to do so this year though..

WTA has been quite consistent as far as grand slam winners in the past two years.

It is always nice to see new faces winning some majors, but I think the current top players are pretty much there to claim them.

LucasArg
Feb 2nd, 2002, 09:21 AM
JELENA DOKIC She has really a lot of chances. She proved her level last year in Moscow taking the title.

DAJA BEDANOVA Maybe in 2003:bounce:

Barrie_Dude
Feb 2nd, 2002, 09:34 AM
Alexandra Stevenson

JCAPfan
Feb 2nd, 2002, 09:40 AM
Daniela Hantuchova:) :) :)
Elena Dementieva :) :) :)

Volcana
Feb 2nd, 2002, 10:14 AM
2002 - Won't happen. The only remote possibility is all the players with good service return get eliminated and Alexandra Stevenson serves her way into the Wimbledon final.

2003 - Hantuchova. Maybe Shaughnessy, but I'd have to see her play again.

Jeff
Feb 2nd, 2002, 12:04 PM
I'd have to say Jelena. Hopefully Wimbledon this year ;)