PDA

View Full Version : Oh its soooooo bloody HOT!

Halardfan
Aug 5th, 2003, 02:28 PM
We in Britian (and apparantly elsewhere) are basking in record high temperatures and I can honestly say its a miserable experience!

Heck its 70F in the middle of the night!

Its a vile, sweltering time...blokes wandering round town centres topless, their lumpen flesh a mixture of snowflake white and lobster red...sweat pouring off you morning noon and night...

Plus we have to put up with idiot local reporters going to Skegness or Cleethorpes and telling us how wonderful it all is. Watching people frolic in the sewage ridden waves!

Ah, the joys of our ever hotter, ever more chokingly polluted world!

Its bloody awful and I want to move to Norway!

http://www.daleandrew.freeserve.co.uk/clee%201.jpg
Cleethorpes - Bloody grim.

Ting
Aug 5th, 2003, 02:30 PM
Oh the heat there is nothing compared to that of where I am at the moment...near HongKong. It's about 100F or above every day:eek:

gentenaire
Aug 5th, 2003, 02:30 PM
both my work place and my flat are lofts, top floor, right under the roof, hottest place in the building, no A/C. So there's no place to cool down for me. But it was worse a few weeks ago. Now it's 'only' 32C, then it was 35.

Josh
Aug 5th, 2003, 02:32 PM
I'm melting.....help me! :sad:

Halardfan
Aug 5th, 2003, 02:32 PM
They reckon it might touch 100F here tomorrow... :fiery:

Which would make it the hottest ever...

Wish it would snow.

gentenaire
Aug 5th, 2003, 02:36 PM
It's too hot to get any work done, I'm melting, I'm tired because I'm not sleeping well because of the heat...My kingdom for a pool!

Josh
Aug 5th, 2003, 02:37 PM
I wish I was a fish

*blub*

Halardfan
Aug 5th, 2003, 02:37 PM
Our trains are all running late cos they think the tracks will buckle in the heat...

Our trains also run late when it snows, rains, is windy, if there are leaves on the line, or if its a bit cloudy...

Our country is a bit rubbish. :)

per4ever
Aug 5th, 2003, 02:38 PM
I love it :bounce:

I still sleep with a blanket and my room is right under the roof over 30 :o

carot
Aug 5th, 2003, 02:41 PM
My kingdom for a pool!

and here's me not knowing Tine even had a kingdom!

it's not normal anymore, we've had this heat like since may or june, or JANUARY jeez (minor exageration possible). Heat sucks (except that the girls wear such kinky clothes with this heat :drool: )

carot
Aug 5th, 2003, 02:42 PM
I love it :bounce:

I still sleep with a blanket and my room is right under the roof over 30 :o
i always knew you weren't completely normal! ;)

Giuliano
Aug 5th, 2003, 02:43 PM
i always knew you weren't completely normal! ;)
And what exactly do you have against people who do that? (I sleep with a blanket too)

Astro Jetson
Aug 5th, 2003, 02:43 PM
...blokes wandering round town centres topless, their lumpen flesh a mixture of snowflake white and lobster red...

:lol:

carot
Aug 5th, 2003, 02:47 PM
And what exactly do you have against people who do that? (I sleep with a blanket too)
i have nothing against people who sleep with a blanket, i do against people who like it this hot mister neiluj :p

skanky~skanketta
Aug 5th, 2003, 02:49 PM
pfffffTthats nothing!its like 33 degrees celcius here.but thank gawd for air conditioning!

Mattographer
Aug 5th, 2003, 02:51 PM
I don't suprised because I used to the heat with around 40C in Sydney during summer season. Why you sitting on front of the computer? Do you need cool down? Go to swimming pool, guys!

Josh
Aug 5th, 2003, 02:52 PM
Airconditioning :sad:

If my car wasn't at the garage for repairs I would live in it until this heat wave passes. :lol:

Maajken
Aug 5th, 2003, 02:55 PM
oh i love the heat :worship:

ive been studying all afternoon in the sun :D

and yeah i still sleep with a blanket too! :p

gentenaire
Aug 5th, 2003, 02:56 PM
pfffffTthats nothing!its like 33 degrees celcius here.but thank gawd for air conditioning!

It's 34 here, no AC :sad:

And Belgium has a really helpful law! The temperatures at which something needs to be done are so extremely high that they're never reached in this country :rolleyes:

Josh
Aug 5th, 2003, 02:57 PM
:eek:@all the people sleeping with a blanket!

I sleep with nothing, nada, rien, niks! Yes that's right, completely nude and frankly, it's no sight! :o

gentenaire
Aug 5th, 2003, 02:58 PM
my problem Josh, is that in this weather I have to sleep with all the windows wide open, which means the people across the street can look right in. So I need to wear something! And I can't sleep without anything covering me.

Mattographer
Aug 5th, 2003, 02:59 PM
:haha: @ these people sleeping with a blanket! However, I admit I do it sometimes as well but only one thin blanket! :o

Josh
Aug 5th, 2003, 03:00 PM
LMAO, how inconvenient Tine....can't you move your bedroom to a more hidden place of the house?

Mattographer
Aug 5th, 2003, 03:00 PM
my problem Josh, is that in this weather I have to sleep with all the windows wide open, which means the people across the street can look right in. So I need to wear something! And I can't sleep without anything covering me.
:lol: That's really funny! Why do you think people will sneak into your house? :o

TheBoiledEgg
Aug 5th, 2003, 03:04 PM
Josh does a YMCA dance as he sleep walks and that of course makes everyone look in :haha: :lol:

Dava
Aug 5th, 2003, 03:06 PM
Its not actually sunny here, but its still muggy and humid. I went out to play some tennis thinking it would be cool. But I was sweating like... I mean it was hotter then it was in Greece last week.

Josh
Aug 5th, 2003, 03:08 PM
Josh does a YMCA dance as he sleep walks and that of course makes everyone look in :haha: :lol:

So it was you who I saw staring last night uh? :p

gentenaire
Aug 5th, 2003, 03:10 PM
LMAO, how inconvenient Tine....can't you move your bedroom to a more hidden place of the house?

but it works two ways you know :lol:

I feel like the friends in Friends, with an ugly naked guy across the street.

Dava
Aug 5th, 2003, 03:13 PM
It raining now, which is good nice and rfreshing.

Maajken
Aug 5th, 2003, 03:15 PM
don't you think it would be better to have just one window open (to let fresh air in) and keep the others closed so not too much warmth can get in? i mean, that's always worked for me at home where it's nice and cool inside..

gentenaire
Aug 5th, 2003, 03:19 PM
don't you think it would be better to have just one window open (to let fresh air in) and keep the others closed so not too much warmth can get in? i mean, that's always worked for me at home where it's nice and cool inside..

At night I want everything open so that the room can cool down. I tried closing the windows during the day, but that's unbearable. I live on the top floor, I need to get the warmth out! All the heat from the house ends up in my room. At least when there's a bit of wind, it's bearable.

And fresh air from where, Maeike?

Vincent
Aug 5th, 2003, 03:40 PM
The charge for air-conditioning has scared my mom.:)

controlfreak
Aug 5th, 2003, 03:42 PM
Here it's 35C / 95F. And guess which idiot is still going out to play tennis almost every afternoon?

decemberlove
Aug 5th, 2003, 03:43 PM
my a/c is constantly running. i cant take the heat. anything over 80F is too much. esp with this 99% humidity we keep having

Mattographer
Aug 5th, 2003, 03:46 PM
Here it's 35C / 95F. And guess which idiot is still going out to play tennis almost every afternoon?
So, you think all tennis pro players in every January are idiot? ;) Hehe

Josh
Aug 5th, 2003, 03:51 PM
I wait till 6pm to play tennis but even then it's still almost unbearable.

doloresc
Aug 5th, 2003, 04:15 PM
i've been travelling to europe since the late 60's and i never understood why europeans were adverse to fans. i realize that central air can be expensive but small fans (not even ones that oscillate) were quite cheap and i thouhgt most people would have them but they didn't. i remember once in the early 70's, going to italy (taranto) and staying at an inn. i didn't expect them to have air conditioning but i thought they'd at least have fans in the rooms but they didn't. so i went out and bought one and i donated it to the inn when i left.

Nicoleke
Aug 5th, 2003, 05:46 PM
Paris is really too hot too ..... Arfff .....

Mattographer
Aug 5th, 2003, 05:47 PM
Sydney usually hotter than rest of the world :p

ASV_FAN
Aug 5th, 2003, 05:53 PM
Jesus, there's no pleasing some people! I personally am not one of these English people who moans the second we get hot weather, I love it. It's not like we get it all the time like a lot of parts of the world.

And England isn't a rubbish Chris, it's an excellent country :) .

Josh
Aug 5th, 2003, 05:54 PM
i've been travelling to europe since the late 60's and i never understood why europeans were adverse to fans. i realize that central air can be expensive but small fans (not even ones that oscillate) were quite cheap and i thouhgt most people would have them but they didn't. i remember once in the early 70's, going to italy (taranto) and staying at an inn. i didn't expect them to have air conditioning but i thought they'd at least have fans in the rooms but they didn't. so i went out and bought one and i donated it to the inn when i left.

LOL, that sounds familiar......I don't have a fan either. :o
Dunno why so many people seem to be adverse to them.

Giuliano
Aug 5th, 2003, 06:08 PM
I don't know about you but I can't stand the bzzzz fans do.

doloresc
Aug 5th, 2003, 06:20 PM

i think there are two primary reasons:

the first being that europe has been (and still is) more environmentally-conscious than any other continent hence the reason that coal ovens, for example, are still being used. central air and even the electricity used for fans is not a necessity so most of you just tolerate the heat just as you do your tepid water pressure. haha ;)

the second is that aside from spain, portugal, france, italy and those countries that straddle the mediterranean, most of europe has moderate to frigid weather. a warm summer day in scotland, for example, would be about 65F. in other words, the sun is a stranger to most of you so when you see it, and especially an abundance of it, you don't quite know how to react. my friends in edinburgh will never visit america during the summer because of the heat but will avoid travelling here in the winter time as well because it's too cold.

doloresc
Aug 5th, 2003, 06:21 PM
Jesus, there's no pleasing some people! I personally am not one of these English people who moans the second we get hot weather, I love it. It's not like we get it all the time like a lot of parts of the world.

And England isn't a rubbish Chris, it's an excellent country :) .

exactly! enjoy the warmth! you have enough rain the rest of the year! ;)

gentenaire
Aug 5th, 2003, 06:38 PM
i think there are two primary reasons:

the first being that europe has been (and still is) more environmentally-conscious than any other continent hence the reason that coal ovens, for example, are still being used. central air and even the electricity used for fans is not a necessity so most of you just tolerate the heat just as you do your tepid water pressure. haha ;)

the second is that aside from spain, portugal, france, italy and those countries that straddle the mediterranean, most of europe has moderate to frigid weather. a warm summer day in scotland, for example, would be about 65F. in other words, the sun is a stranger to most of you so when you see it, and especially an abundance of it, you don't quite know how to react. my friends in edinburgh will never visit america during the summer because of the heat but will avoid travelling here in the winter time as well because it's too cold.

coal ovens? Never seen those!

You're right that in our climate, getting AC is a waste of energy (office buildings excepted). It's not worth getting it for those few days of really hot weather. Just like lots of houses in warm regions don't have heating.

The thing is, you can keep houses cool by designing them properly. In the US, the houses have a wooden construction. If you want a cool house, it has to be massive, stone, brick....Think of poorer regions with very hot climates, Turkey, Middle East, etc.

Maajken
Aug 5th, 2003, 06:54 PM
And fresh air from where, Maeike?
i didnt mean cool air ;) just fresh air you know...from outside :p

controlfreak
Aug 5th, 2003, 07:19 PM

When the shit hits the wall... it is just so much easier to clean up!

JoeyWinson3.0
Aug 5th, 2003, 08:16 PM
"This is Britain... and everything's alright... everything's alright... it's okay...........it's FINE."

Yeah I don't understand this incessant moaning people have with the hot weather, it's a lot easier to cool down than it is to heat yourself up... I forecast in about Novermber time we will see a "it's so bloody cold" thread.

However I must agree on the "British people in hot weather" mentality.

The shirtlessness. No need for it at all. The fat men with their girth hanging over their ill fitting shorts, displaying their manbreasts and crevices for all to see, and the other extreme, the scrawny pasty white kids, the heroin addicts that look like refugees that havent eaten for years.

On the plus side, it brings out the scantily clad lasses!

You can also sit outside on the patio, listen to jazz and just generally chill out...

JoeyWinson3.0
Aug 5th, 2003, 08:18 PM
Another thing... old people... they come in my shop and say "oooh it's too warm..." and I'm like "well why are you wearing a great big coat then".

Bacardi
Aug 5th, 2003, 08:25 PM
It's hot as hell here in VA today.... at least it's starting to cool down some at night.

However I got a call this morning, and have decided since me and my EX gf got back together.... we're going to take off to Myrtle Beach, South Carolina for the weekend. It's certainly going to be hotter there. Oh well....

I :hearts: the beach! :cool:

Halardfan
Aug 5th, 2003, 09:27 PM
I LIKE rain, I LIKE snow! :)

But it hasn't snowed properly here for YEARS.

I like the winter days when you need a hot water bottle in bed, when you can see your breath in the air, your fingers raw with cold...roasting chestnuts on an open fire, with frost gathering on the window pane...

Some people like it unbearably hot, fine fine fine...lap it up! :p ;)

But I always like it cool...even come January Im reluctant to turn up the heating high...I like a chill in the air...

Maybe its my Polish genes kicking in... :)

King Satan
Aug 5th, 2003, 10:56 PM
I like the hot weather. it means i get to go swimming!! :bounce: and i get to hang out at the beach! :bounce:

two years ago, i was in vegas for 2 weeks, and the weather never got below 110f. now that's some hot weather. we hung out in the hot garage, playing the blues all day and all night. now that's the life! :)

Candy946
Aug 6th, 2003, 07:16 AM
I can't stand the heat. Last month the temperature would scorch up to 115 F. Coming home from 6 hours of summer school and then driving out in the middle of nowhere to instruct little kids how to play tennis at 5 pm was not my ideal summer.

But now that summer is coming to and end, the temperature isn't all that bad. I'm glad that's all over with.

decemberlove
Aug 6th, 2003, 07:23 AM
It's hot as hell here in VA today.... at least it's starting to cool down some at night.

However I got a call this morning, and have decided since me and my EX gf got back together.... we're going to take off to Myrtle Beach, South Carolina for the weekend. It's certainly going to be hotter there. Oh well....

I :hearts: the beach! :cool:

i live on the beach :p

so while we get hot weather, our weather is never as extreme as inland people. but we do get some nasty humidity in new jersey. thats why i usually go to maine in august. i get really bitchy and whiny in the heat. my room is like an icebox in the summer, nonstop a/c. we dont have central, i just have my own ac for my own lil room, so i can freeze myself. and in the winter, the heat doesnt even work in my room, so i freeze yet again.

i cant wait for the fucking fall... sweaters, hoodies, turtlenecks, jeans...

King Satan
Aug 6th, 2003, 07:30 AM
Love, that's not considered a beach :p

decemberlove
Aug 6th, 2003, 07:33 AM
the jersey shore? have you ever even been here? LBI was ranked #8 on americas nicest beaches list. so suck it.

ignorant **** :)

King Satan
Aug 6th, 2003, 07:37 AM
fuck off, it's not a beach, it's a swamp! :p

decemberlove
Aug 6th, 2003, 07:43 AM
bitch you just mad cos youre stuck out there... in nasty, smoggy LA

i prefer to wake up to the smell of saltwater and the sound of waves crashing on the sand.

King Satan
Aug 6th, 2003, 07:47 AM
uh! uh! girlfriend! *waves finger* we aint even got that much *cough* smog *cough*. and we got beverly hills, what do you have???

*is trying not to be murdered here*

Candy946
Aug 6th, 2003, 07:59 AM
Same here

decemberlove
Aug 6th, 2003, 08:02 AM
the fuck is so special about hollywood? i dun care about big-headed bitches that think their shit dont stink. please. i have better things to obsess over, like myself :p

we have
me :) , NYC, philly, b.more, dc, FOUR SEASONS, the best pizza, yummy italians/cubans/ricans, and no mexicans :p

Nikki
Aug 6th, 2003, 09:01 AM
I work in a supermarket with no A/C. The temperature averages around 75F - 80F. We're also not allowed a drink on the checkout:(

King Satan
Aug 6th, 2003, 10:32 AM
the fuck is so special about hollywood? i dun care about big-headed bitches that think their shit dont stink. please. i have better things to obsess over, like myself :p

we have
me :) , NYC, philly, b.more, dc, FOUR SEASONS, the best pizza, yummy italians/cubans/ricans, and no mexicans :p
we have San Diego, Vegas (i know it's not in cali, but it's not a long ways) SF, orange county, Mexico! Big Bear..........much better than your swamp :p

Let's just say, we have Disneyland, and you don't! :P:P:P

and we have great sports teams, along with great weather year around. we don't have to dig ourselves out of an avalanche during the winter just to get to work.

haha! you guys suck, and we don't. :p

King Satan
Aug 6th, 2003, 10:35 AM
oh, and we don't have to worry about mobster italian guys shooting everyone lol :o

and puerto ricans are annoying. :o:o lol

King Satan
Aug 6th, 2003, 10:50 AM
oh yeah, and we don't have those really fucked up accents you guys have lol. we can pronounce the letter R :p

and atleast we have swimming pools, we dont' need to break open a fire hydron for a swimming pool :p

Xian
Aug 6th, 2003, 11:11 AM
ok is this record? 36,6 degrees here in Austria . Its so hot even in the nights I really cant sleep. Last night I woke up at 11 p.m. and there were still 29 degrees :rolleyes:

BCP
Aug 6th, 2003, 12:38 PM
Our trains are all running late cos they think the tracks will buckle in the heat...

Our trains also run late when it snows, rains, is windy, if there are leaves on the line, or if its a bit cloudy...

Our country is a bit rubbish. :)

So true, LOL! London trains also seem to be affected when:

- they have a bad watermelon season
- a new J-Lo movie is released
- Bastille day
- whenever any clips their toenails
- any day when the sun rises :(

Don't get me started on the NHS, or education, and the home office, well, :( :( :( :mad:

doloresc
Aug 6th, 2003, 12:41 PM
coal ovens? Never seen those!

You're right that in our climate, getting AC is a waste of energy (office buildings excepted). It's not worth getting it for those few days of really hot weather. Just like lots of houses in warm regions don't have heating.

sorry i meant coal heaters (as opposed to central heating).

doloresc
Aug 6th, 2003, 12:44 PM
Another thing... old people... they come in my shop and say "oooh it's too warm..." and I'm like "well why are you wearing a great big coat then".

that can be said of many people. summers in the northeast of america are notoriously humid but you'll still see people with sweaters, leather jackets and even turtlenecks despite the sweltering heat. :tape:

doloresc
Aug 6th, 2003, 12:46 PM
I LIKE rain, I LIKE snow! :)

But it hasn't snowed properly here for YEARS.

I like the winter days when you need a hot water bottle in bed, when you can see your breath in the air, your fingers raw with cold...roasting chestnuts on an open fire, with frost gathering on the window pane...

Some people like it unbearably hot, fine fine fine...lap it up! :p ;)

But I always like it cool...even come January Im reluctant to turn up the heating high...I like a chill in the air...

Maybe its my Polish genes kicking in... :)

what i'd love for you and your fellow brits to experience is a year of 4 seasons. it's wonderful! your outlook changes every 3 months. :)

azza
Aug 6th, 2003, 12:49 PM
Im currently in malta ( alot of brittash ppl :eek: ) and its currently 34 right now hottest has been maybe 39 maybe 2 wks asgo its usally 30-37s HOT AS!!!!!

doloresc
Aug 6th, 2003, 12:49 PM
i live on the beach :p

so while we get hot weather, our weather is never as extreme as inland people. but we do get some nasty humidity in new jersey. thats why i usually go to maine in august. i get really bitchy and whiny in the heat. my room is like an icebox in the summer, nonstop a/c. we dont have central, i just have my own ac for my own lil room, so i can freeze myself. and in the winter, the heat doesnt even work in my room, so i freeze yet again.

i'm in westchester county and there are people in my area who dress like that even in the summer. by the way, you'd love seattle then. i visited my friend 2 years ago in the summer (she lives on island off seattle) and it felt like it was october (very much like maine in august).

gentenaire
Aug 6th, 2003, 01:04 PM
what i'd love for you and your fellow brits to experience is a year of 4 seasons. it's wonderful! your outlook changes every 3 months. :)

When did Spring and Autumn disappear? :confused:

doloresc
Aug 6th, 2003, 01:50 PM
When did Spring and Autumn disappear? :confused:

sorry. i have to remind myself to elaborate more on my posts. :o chris ba was saying he likes rain and snow. my experience in several trips to the uk and ireland is that they really have just 2 seasons. rain and less rain. ;) they rarely get snow in the uk, so they don't know harsh winters (i can tell you about those because my back still aches from all the shovelling). heat is unusual hence the fact that practically the whole country is overwhelmed by the current heat wave. so, in my opinion, and based on what my friends gripe about that actually live in the uk, they only have 2 seasons.

Josh
Aug 6th, 2003, 01:52 PM
And just when I thought it couldn't get any hotter, today came.....:sad:

Brαm
Aug 6th, 2003, 02:14 PM
And just when I thought it couldn't get any hotter, today came.....:sad:
I know :eek:

Ugh I just did some shopping by bike! It was horrible! I hate it when I sweat like that! :o
Always afraid of sweat stains too :o:o

gentenaire
Aug 6th, 2003, 02:19 PM
It's 34C at my desk once again.

Josh
Aug 6th, 2003, 02:24 PM
This afternoon I had to go to the container park where it was an impressive 42C! :eek:

gentenaire
Aug 6th, 2003, 02:37 PM
This afternoon I had to go to the container park where it was an impressive 42C! :eek:

and even that probably isn't considered too hot according to our law :mad:

Temperatures may not be over 30 for office work...BUT, these temps must be measured using a special global thermometer which also takes humidity and radiation into account. Yesterday, this thermometer measured 24 :mad:

decemberlove
Aug 6th, 2003, 06:33 PM
yawl made the front page of cnn.com

i guess its really bad there??

http://www.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/europe/08/06/heatwave/index.html

Josh
Aug 6th, 2003, 06:56 PM
I went to play tennis at 6pm this evening and it was still 40C! When I stopped one hour later temperatures had fallen to 37C. :eek:

decemberlove
Aug 6th, 2003, 07:09 PM
oh yeah, and we don't have those really fucked up accents you guys have lol. we can pronounce the letter R :p

and atleast we have swimming pools, we dont' need to break open a fire hydron for a swimming pool :p

lol... thats mass, not jersey!

what the HELL are you talking about? we have swimming pools. please bitch, this is the burbs. EVERYONE has a swimming pool here.

thats the poor section of cities that used to break open hydrants. they have city pools too, i just think the kids didnt wanna use them.

nyc beats ALL of your stupidass cities that you listed.

disneyland sucks, we have ga, thats enough

we have the best shows filmed around here...
sopranos, the wire, satc, etc

you guys have corny shows like 90210 and melrose place. ooooh
the only good one is curb your enthuiasm

and there arent italian mobsters running around lol
im sure its not as bad as all the crazy mexicans out there

i dont care much for orange county. corny white people, no thanks :p

but humboldt county... now thats a county i care for :devil:

villa
Aug 6th, 2003, 07:38 PM
i still sleep with my thick winter duvet- i'm soo used to it- no matter how hot it is i need my duvet over me to keep me cosy- i don't think i've ever slept with it when i'm at home-ever!!!

gentenaire
Aug 6th, 2003, 08:00 PM
i still sleep with my thick winter duvet- i'm soo used to it- no matter how hot it is i need my duvet over me to keep me cosy- i don't think i've ever slept with it when i'm at home-ever!!!

It's 10 pm, it's still 32 here in my room. I don't think I'll sleep with a duvet ;)

croat123
Aug 6th, 2003, 08:25 PM
come to south florida...

at least 80F at night with high humidity

Halardfan
Aug 6th, 2003, 09:21 PM
Yes today was hotter...

Its so hot as I speak (10.15PM) that I am actually wearing a pair of Manchester City shorts...I NEVER wear shorts!

Its not a pretty sight...my legs look like a pair of withered silver birch trees... :eek:

Dracula had more colour.

But its so hot, I just don't care!

http://www.susansgardenpatch.com/gar834.jpg
My legs, exposed for the first time since about 1992...

gentenaire
Aug 6th, 2003, 09:42 PM
:haha: Chris!!!

GBFH
Aug 7th, 2003, 01:28 AM
It was 108 today in Dallas. Without the heat index. Don't know how humans habitated this region without A/C.