PDA

View Full Version : When in another country..do you carry your passport wherever you go???

bee
Aug 5th, 2003, 11:25 AM
We were in Hongkong...
We were staying in a friend's house...
We left our passport in our rooms...

10:30 pm - just walking with my brother and his family..
My cousin was stopped by 3 plain clothes policemen.. They were asking for her hk ID.. Unfortunately they can't understand english .. They wanted to arrest her... even after trying to explain that she is a tourist... They actually thought I was a hk resident.. but they sort of found out that I was not... So to make the story short...we ended up being arrested and they drove us to the police station...

My brother called in our passport numbers... they wrote it down... They never bothered to check the numbers in the "immigration" computers.. They just let us go without checking our info....

Just annoyed with the whole experience.. :(
Annoyed with the stupid and arrogant policemen....
Do you carry your passport wherever you go...???!!!
Just asking....

Dava
Aug 5th, 2003, 11:26 AM
No just when I pass a port.

Dava
Aug 5th, 2003, 11:26 AM
But we do carry photocpoys of the details page with us, or my Mum and Dad do anyway.

gentenaire
Aug 5th, 2003, 12:19 PM
Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. I usually have my ID on me though. And I also make copies of my passport in put them in a different place.

Josh
Aug 5th, 2003, 12:34 PM
The policemen in Hong Kong don't understand English?

I always carry my ID with me.

DutchieGirl
Aug 5th, 2003, 12:42 PM
Yeah, if I'm overseas I'll usually carry my passport with me, but if I don't have that, I'll always have some form of id (drivers licence or so).

Maajken
Aug 5th, 2003, 12:44 PM
when i go out i always have my ID and drivers licence with me

bee
Aug 5th, 2003, 02:19 PM
The policemen in Hong Kong don't understand English?

I always carry my ID with me.

They don't.... :(
They wanted to see "specifically" our HK immigration ID... which we don't have... because we were tourist.... we only have passports which unfortunately we left behind...

Never been to a police station before (never been arrested ever...).... The HK police station was actually quite nice. :D

Ting
Aug 5th, 2003, 02:25 PM
No way I don't carry it wherever I go!
Can't imagine keeping it in my pocket all day long!

Cariaoke
Aug 5th, 2003, 02:33 PM
I have a little dickies bag where I keep all my foreign currency and passport whenever I'm out of the U.S. It's very small and I wear it under my clothes. I also carry photocopies of my passport in my luggage in case I'm robbed at gunpoint. :D