PDA

View Full Version : Year End #1's

Volcana
Jan 30th, 2002, 07:08 PM
There have only been six. The stat's only been kept since 1975. If ithad included the entire open era, doubtless BJK and Margo would be on the list.

8 Steffi Graf
7 Martina Navratilova
5 Chris Evert
3 Martina Hingis
2 Monica Seles
2 Lindsay Davenport

THe last two years, it looked like we'd add a new name to the list. But we haven't. Since 3 of the players on the list are currently in the top ten, the likelihood of a new year-end #1 is slightly lower. But Lindsay willmiss half the year, Monica is currently #10, and Martina still hasn't solved the power equation. But if, as happened in 2001, the big points are split, someone could sneak through as Lindsay did in 2001.

Year-End #1's by Year

1975 Chris Evert
1976 Chris Evert
1977 Chris Evert
1978 Martina Navratilova
1979 Martina Navratilova
1980 Chris Evert
1981 Chris Evert
1982 Martina Navratilova
1983 Martina Navratilova
1984 Martina Navratilova
1985 Martina Navratilova
1986 Martina Navratilova
1987 Steffi Graf
1988 Steffi Graf
1989 Steffi Graf
1990 Steffi Graf
1991 Monica Seles
1992 Monica Seles
1993 Steffi Graf
1994 Steffi Graf
1995 Steffi Graf
1996 Steffi Graf
1997 Martina Hingis
1998 Lindsay Davenport
1999 Martina Hingis
2000 Martina Hingis
2001 Lindsay Davenport

Williams Rulez
Jan 30th, 2002, 07:10 PM
Interesting... when Lindsay does get the number 1 ranking... it is usually the year end one :)

i_like_tennis
Aug 5th, 2003, 07:26 PM
let me think......
Martina ends 2000 and starts 2001 as #1,
then retires 2 years later
Lindsay ends 2001 and starts 2002 as #1,
then retires 2 years later,
Serena.......:)

anyways, if either Kim/Justine makes #1 in the world
then we will have unprecedented 4 diff #1 in 4 yrs,
i dont know about you, but i say Serena is
the true transition #1...:)

bandabou
Aug 5th, 2003, 09:03 PM
let me think......
Martina ends 2000 and starts 2001 as #1,
then retires 2 years later
Lindsay ends 2001 and starts 2002 as #1,
then retires 2 years later,
Serena.......:)

anyways, if either Kim/Justine makes #1 in the world
then we will have unprecedented 4 diff #1 in 4 yrs,
i dont know about you, but i say Serena is
the true transition #1...:)

Really?! :lol: . Justineīs ONE GS and Kimīs none! Serenaīs won 5 of the last 6, has been ranked no.1 for a year now already! Itīs the Belgians who have to prove that they werenīt a fluke!

TonyP
Aug 5th, 2003, 09:56 PM
Actually, I don't remember anyone making much of a big deal about who finished the year ranked number one until the last few years. Since the whole race doesn't start over ever year, it always used to be pretty irrelevant who finished number one at the end of the year.

To my knowledge it was Pete Sampras who had his handlers and agents start making a big deal of the year end rankings aftrer he had finished number one for the sixth time.

Pete never felt he got much recognition in the U-S and tried for a brief period of time to conduct a quiet little campaign.

Pete always wanted to be considered an American sports idol and I suspect the biggest disappointment in his life is that he remains only a shadowy figure for most of the American public. I think this affected him far more than never winning the French.

Agassi and McEnroe and Connors are the players Americans think about, not Sampras, despite his greater accomplishments.

bandabou
Aug 5th, 2003, 10:15 PM
Actually, I don't remember anyone making much of a big deal about who finished the year ranked number one until the last few years. Since the whole race doesn't start over ever year, it always used to be pretty irrelevant who finished number one at the end of the year.

To my knowledge it was Pete Sampras who had his handlers and agents start making a big deal of the year end rankings aftrer he had finished number one for the sixth time.

Pete never felt he got much recognition in the U-S and tried for a brief period of time to conduct a quiet little campaign.

Pete always wanted to be considered an American sports idol and I suspect the biggest disappointment in his life is that he remains only a shadowy figure for most of the American public. I think this affected him far more than never winning the French.

Agassi and McEnroe and Connors are the players Americans think about, not Sampras, despite his greater accomplishments.

Too bad that swearing on courts counts for so much. In a way itīs good that they donīt think about Sampras....that means he was well-mannered.