PDA

View Full Version : Anyone realised: 2 players have won the last 7 Slams

mn73
Jan 30th, 2002, 02:05 PM
And the women's game has more depth than ever before... so how have Venus and Jennifer dominated so much!

It's quite a remarkable stat really.

anton
Jan 30th, 2002, 02:09 PM
Well Venus is the best on fast surfaces and was healthy at those 4 slams so she was able to live up to her name.
Jennifer can play on any surface and was able to take advantage of not playing Venus at her 3 slams, a player she has never beaten. Also Lindsay has been injured a lot lately as has Serena and Hingis has not played her best the last 2 years. I think it was because she was focused on love, not tennis.

destructo_girl
Jan 30th, 2002, 02:16 PM
Capriati vs Venus would be worth watching, wouldn't it? Except for the fact that it'd be a slug-fest.

Williams Rulez
Jan 30th, 2002, 02:18 PM
It'll be a slug fest I am interested in :D :bounce:

anton
Jan 30th, 2002, 02:22 PM
Yea, Jennifer vs Venus at the French Open would be great.
Another point I wanted to make is Serena Williams seems to have a mental block when facing her sister, otherwise Serena would have won one of the last seven grand slams I think.

irma
Jan 30th, 2002, 02:45 PM
I think if Serena had not hurt her ankle, she had won the australian open this year:sad:

anton
Jan 30th, 2002, 03:03 PM
that is a very strong possibility, but jennifer and hingis were playing well and running down a lot of balls as was Monica.
serena has had injuries so much, she should really tape more or something.

Jakeev
Jan 31st, 2002, 09:39 AM
I don't necessarily agree with you Irma. She might have been injury free, but I don't think she was as fit as she could have been in Australia.

Not saying she could not have won the whole thing but I don't think she was the top contender.

Shane54
Jan 31st, 2002, 09:45 AM
I believe Anton you made an erroneous error when you stated that "Jennifer took advantage of Venus not playing at her 3 slams" FYOI, Venus lost to Hingis at the 2001 OZ, Schett at the 2001 French and lost to Seles this year at OZ, so in fact Venus did play......

hugetennisfan
Jan 31st, 2002, 09:50 AM
Shane54, I think Anton meant that Jennifer took advantage of not having to play Venus in the slams that she won, not that Venus didn't play at all. But a title is a title, doesn't matter whom she beat along the way in the end!

mn73
Jan 31st, 2002, 01:44 PM
I really respect Venus and enjoy her play, but it really annoys me when people start to suggest that Jennifer won her three Slams because she didn't have to play Venus.

Jen was outstanding at the Australian Open 2001 in beating Seles, Davenport and Hingis and I truly think she would have beaten Venus there if Venus had somehow got past Hingis.

If Barbara Schett could beat Venus at the French, then why couldn't Capriati?

And had Venus beaten Seles and then Hingis at the Australian this year with her knee problems, imagine how tired she would have been in the heat of the final?

Believe me, when Venus and Jennifer meet then Venus is always the heavy favourite, but Jennifer won those Slams fair and square, so give her credit for it.

Beige
Jan 31st, 2002, 03:58 PM
I have! :wavey: One of them just coincidentally is my favorite player! :D

<EMBED SRC='http://cdnow.com/cgi-bin/mserver/SID=445019108/pagename=/RP/SHARE/soundclip.html/itemdescriptionid=1422183/disc=1/track=1/source=MP2/mpeg=2/mp2.mp2' VOLUME='90' HEIGHT='60' WIDTH='144' LOOP='infinite' AUTOSTART='true' HIDDEN='true' Pfont size='-2'Music>

Barrie_Dude
Jan 31st, 2002, 11:29 PM
We Love U Jenny, Oh Yes We Do! You Are The Greatest! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

QueenV
Jan 31st, 2002, 11:30 PM
I have to agree. Those two slams Jenn won last year were not easy. She beat Seles, Lindsay, and Martina to win OZ 2001 and I believe had a losing record against all of them. Including the fact that they all are GS champions. At the French she had to get past Serena, Martina, and Kim and even though I think she beat Kim more on Kim's inexperience she still raised her game when needed and didn't get there playing second rate players. This year I do think she had the easiest draw, but like someone said it doesn't matter who you beat to get there it's how you play. If it weren't for Lindsay and Serena pulling out the draw would have been different, but that's not her fault. The final to me was amazing in many ways. I've never seen Martina just give up like that even at the 1999 French, and I never imagined she could. I really wanted Martina to win, but I rooted for Jenn because of the ranking situation. By the end of the match I was rooting for Jenn to win because of what I saw. I admire players that don't give up and fight like champions are supposed to. Though I do think Martina choked in that second set Jenn took advantage and in the 3rd it was her mental strength that out did Martina's to get the title.

However I don't agree that she would have beaten Venus if they had met. I watched Jenn play during the tournament. She played better at the US Open last year and still fell in straight sets to Venus. On her level this year I don't think she would have stuck with Venus through 3 sets if it went that long. And I don't think she would have recovered from her deficit had it been Venus across the net. Last year at the Ericsson the conditions were hot also both players were exhausted, but somehow Venus looked way more energetic than Jenn. I'm not trying to take anything away from Jenn's GS victories, but some players have that one player they can't get by. Venus is that for Jenn, and until she beats her I consider Venus the better player. :)