PDA

View Full Version : How dare he! Jon Wertheim on Hingis in OZ final

Volcana
Jan 30th, 2002, 09:43 AM
To her everlasting credit, Hingis could scarcely have been more gracious in defeat. A testament to how far she's come personally, if not professionally, in the past three years, she confronted her meltdown head on. "The last few matches, I've had this problem to close it out," she admitted. "I have to work through it." There was no blaming the conditions. Or the fact that she had played six sets of doubles over the previous 48 hours. Or the ankle that had gone under the knife just a few months ago.

The man couldn't have been nastier if he tried! How can they let him write this stuff? :)

Adrian
Jan 30th, 2002, 09:47 AM
Everyone seems to dislike this man intensely, which begs the question, why do people continue to read his columns?

tia clara
Jan 30th, 2002, 10:07 AM
I thought he was complimenting her on taking the blame on herself and not blaming anything else such as the number of matches she had played, the weather, or her ankle operation. He was complimenting her on not whining. Why would anyone take exception to that?

:confused:

Adrian
Jan 30th, 2002, 10:11 AM
I don't think anyone is Tia.

I was more referring to the weekly "I hate Jon" threads posted by whatever Fan (or Group of) he seems to have got on the wrong side off.

GoSandrine
Jan 30th, 2002, 10:19 AM
Volcana, are you trying to be cynical? :confused:

jomar
Jan 30th, 2002, 10:33 AM
volcana's just having some aftershocks.:p

hugetennisfan
Jan 30th, 2002, 11:02 AM
I agree with Tia. I thought he was complimenting Hingis. What is so nasty about that passage? :confused:

TS
Jan 30th, 2002, 11:12 AM
Im pretty sure this is just tongue in cheek stuff from Volcana ;)

Many people on this board criticise Wertheim, so I think she was just showing that he can say something constructive too.

disposablehero
Jan 30th, 2002, 11:22 AM
Is Volcana a she? Are we sure? Tell us, Volcana.

Anyhow, it speaks fairly poorly of someone when you have to seek out instances of when they are polite and respectful of others. Wertheim was relatively gentle this week, and appears to be hedging a bit on Monica, to avoid looking the fool later.

hugetennisfan
Silly me. :)

Hey, even if you don't always agree with him, you must admit he has impeccable grammar.

SerenasMelons
C'mon guys! Volcana was being sarcastic!!!

Anyways..I agree with what Wertheim said. Hingis was gracious. :)

I don't see why everyone hates him so much. I guess I understand the Seles fans, becuase he has pretty much written her off to win any title.

Candy946
Jan 30th, 2002, 11:33 AM
SerenasMelons, have you met SerenasBoobs4president?

peanuts
Jan 30th, 2002, 12:11 PM
i agee with u hugetennisfan, d guy writes well and he's funny too, d only problem on him is he tends to be biased on some players...i guess he can't help it...:) for all his flaws, i still love reading d mailbag...:bounce:

i don't think he meant to bash hingis on that article...but i can't help but disagree a little on d message that he's trying to convey abt her...:rolleyes:

:wavey:

gentenaire
Jan 30th, 2002, 12:55 PM
See that smiley at the end of Volcana's post?

Williams Rulez
Jan 30th, 2002, 03:38 PM
lol... I was wondering too...

-Sonic-
Jan 30th, 2002, 04:56 PM
goooooooooo jonny!

wongqks
Jan 30th, 2002, 06:19 PM
Okay, I admit it I bash him quite a lot and send him emails, it is just people's dilemma, the more you don't like him, the more you wanna see what he wrote and piss yourself off.

Having said that I appreciate him more now especially after he said nice thing about Monica in his recent mailbag and I think the emails he got from Monica fans like me means that he doesn't wanna mess with Monica too much anymore LOL.

Rollo
Jan 30th, 2002, 07:05 PM
Having some fun Volcanic one?:)

Clever post;)

Aloysius
Jan 30th, 2002, 08:53 PM
It's a "she-sees-it-my-way" compliment. A begrudging one that's been outlined with a fluffy vocabulary to soften what he's really saying (IMHO). Did he expect Martina to make excuses? It sure reads that way.

Bright Red
Jan 30th, 2002, 09:38 PM
OK. You got me. What a nice thing to write about Hingis. She has come a long way. No excuses. So she seemed like the champion even though she lost.

It reminds me of Venus playing Seles at AO 2002 while injured. Venus just went out there and played. But she was still the champion she's always been.

Thanks for the post Volcana.

barmaid
Jan 30th, 2002, 11:48 PM
I thought Jon 's comments were very fair to Marti...afterall what do you expect after that "wiltdown"...the Congressional Medal??:rolleyes:
barmaid:wavey:

RockSteady
Jan 31st, 2002, 02:18 AM
Wow, some people are a little slow here. He was being sarcastic, people.

Meesh
Jan 31st, 2002, 03:40 AM
I think Jon W. just rotates which player he chooses to write on each week. Last week it was his article entitled "Has Anna Kournikova become irrelevant?"

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/tennis/2002/australian_open/news/2002/01/24/on_the_court/

Iconoclast
Jan 31st, 2002, 03:46 AM
The inability to grasp irony in writing is only surpassed by the desire to point out this very same flaw.

Jordan.
Jan 31st, 2002, 04:29 AM
Go Martina!

SerenasMelons
Jan 31st, 2002, 05:39 AM
Candy, we're the same person ;)

GoSandrine
Jan 31st, 2002, 08:36 AM
hugetennisfan, I was as confused as you were.

Terry, I've seen references to this Wertheim charachter but I've never actually read his column. I'm a little out of touch. :o

FP
Jan 31st, 2002, 04:50 PM
Sorry guys I didn't really get what was wrong with the article or whatever I guess it was fine I didn't noticed something wrong there :rolleyes:

BTW Williams_Rulez I like the pic under ur nick the sisters look nice there ;)