PDA

View Full Version : Poll - Best Oz Open final Ever!!!

Philbo
Jan 30th, 2002, 08:16 AM
Aus Open 93 - Seles and Graf at their best, vs Jennifer and Martina both dying of heat exhasution in a tense 2nd set tiebreak etc

BCP
Jan 30th, 2002, 08:23 AM
i voted Monica and steffi, but I think the best ever was when Chris beat Martina in 82!;)

Philbo
Jan 30th, 2002, 08:39 AM
BCP - oops, my bad!!! I was guilty of short-thinking-syndrome, a common ailment on these boards..

Ive seen the 84 final, which was great, but have never managed to see the 82 final...

I guess I just wanted to make it out of these 2 finals, cuz from what Ive read, most people considered the Steffi v Monica match the best aus final ever...

Jakeev
Jan 30th, 2002, 12:47 PM
Well, for quality that 1993 final was a much better and cleaner match than last week.

But I think it lacked the tension the Capriati/Hingis match had, which made this final much more compellling and dramatic.

Sam L
Jan 30th, 2002, 03:55 PM
OK I can't vote in the poll for some reason :(

So I'll just post to express my opinion :)

The 1993 final is better, hands down! If last week's final was better in any way it was that it had more tension but geez that lasted from somewhere between Martina's first match point and Jennifer taking the 2nd set. Before and after those points in the match it was the most predictable match ever. Eesh that 3rd set last week was horrific tennis. LOL.

Anyone remember the 3rd set in 93. Superb tennis! :)

Hmm.. I wanna see it again :)

irma
Jan 30th, 2002, 04:28 PM
I didn`t see the australian open 93 because I slept through it and when I was awake Monica hit an ace when Steffi had breakpoint and those days I never watched any match till the end when I saw Steffi was losing. I was a bad fan:cool: <P>But from what I heard the quality was high even Steffi said once that it was the only match she ever lost where she didn`t play bad and that says something!

Sam L
Jan 30th, 2002, 04:45 PM
You still haven't seen the match irma? :eek: You're missing out! :p

MLF
Jan 30th, 2002, 04:45 PM
The Seles-Graf showdown was definitely better in terms of quality plus the fact there was always a really tense atmosphere between these two players that Hingis-Capriati just don't have to the same extent.
I'm a Navratilova fan but would love to see that final where Chiris won by taking the net away from Martina. That would have been such a shocking sight!!

Loyal Selesian
Jan 30th, 2002, 05:54 PM
I haven't seen either one of these two but this commentary we have keep repeating that the 1993 Aus open final was the greatest woman match about time.....so I guess the 1993 is better....anyway if Monica is in it then I vote for it :hearts:

Keith
Jan 30th, 2002, 09:07 PM
I didnt see the 93 final either, but I think this one was definitely a contender.

Sam L...you knew before Martina's match points (lets say at 4-0) in the second set, that Jennfier would come back and win? Wow, you must be psychic!

But I agree that the third set was somewhat of a letdown. But that second set was probably the best SET of tennis in any grand slam final.

BCP
Jan 31st, 2002, 08:11 AM
Czechfan, the 82 final was awesome. The match was in the balance in the third set. I think the score was 3-3 in the 3rd, Martina made an excellent approach to the net as usual, drawing Chris out so wide to the forehand, that we all thought she wouldn't get it. Not only did she get there, but she hit the most unbelievable forehand crosscourt to pass Martina. Martina just looked at Chris as if she couldn't believe it, and that, as they say, was the match....

It is in the top 3 Chris Martina matches that I ever saw.

The other 2 were when Chris beat Martina in the FO final in 85, and when Martina beat Chris in the semis at Wimbeldon in 87...

Philbo
Jan 31st, 2002, 08:29 AM
BCP - Thanks for that!!!

You also jsut gave me a new idea for a new poll!!!

Sam L
Jan 31st, 2002, 01:10 PM
Jenny Fan - Up to the match points Martina had late in the 2nd set, the match was all Hingis. That's what I meant. When she couldn't convert 1, 2, 3 match points the alarm bells started to go off. That was really where the tension of the entire match drew upon. That period between Martina's match points and Jenn's taking the 2nd set. Once the 2nd set was taking by Jennifer, you can tell it was all over. That Capriati was going to win it easily in the 3rd.

In the 1993 final, I don't know if you saw it, wasn't like that. It was a tossup all the way. Until Monica hit that inside-out forehand to take the match, I felt Steffi still could've come back.

SM
Jan 31st, 2002, 07:39 PM
it doesnt help that i started watching tennis in 98 now does it? ;)

but from what ive seen since 98-2k1 they were all one sided and boring.....this year seemd to be following the pattern until 6-4 4-0 when Jennifer just did the unbelievable in saving 4 mp!...so out of all the finals ive seen down under this one's been the most dramatic and best. :)

wish i could get my hands on seles v graf 93..only then could i vote :(

Mattographer
Jan 31st, 2002, 07:42 PM
I watch both matches! :) I have tape video of 1993 Australian Open Final! I can remember some games in the Final of 1993...

I can't vote the poll... I think I want see the Final again :) Hehe

Bright Red
Jan 31st, 2002, 08:20 PM
Neither one is the best imo. You should have cast a wider net.

Philbo
Feb 1st, 2002, 04:17 AM
Bright Red - Besides the Chris v Martina matches of the early 80's, what other finals would you include??

The Aus Open has had remarkably boring finals IMO, since the ones Ive mentioned...

BCP
Feb 1st, 2002, 04:51 AM
Very true. there have been some incredibly boring finals. I think though that the men's tournament has even been worse. Wasn't there a final where Mary Joe had monica on the ropes?

Philbo
Feb 1st, 2002, 05:23 AM
BCP - No that was a quarter final...

BCP
Feb 1st, 2002, 05:30 AM
ahhhhh......

Bright Red
Feb 1st, 2002, 05:30 AM
Czechfan

I don't remember which year it (1999 or 2000) was but it was recent and Lindsay played Hingis and Hingis almost came back. It wasn't a three-setter but I enjoyed watching it more than I did this one.

Philbo
Feb 1st, 2002, 05:35 AM
Bright Red - Yeah, that was 2000..

IMO, Unless you were a Lindsay fan, that match was boring!!

Lindsay dominated Martina, until 5-1 in the 2nd, Martina did come back, and at least Make the 2nd set interesting, but I remember in Martina's speech at the end "Im jsut glad I was able to come back and at least make it go for over an hour"...

I think the match was about 65 mins long.. Not worthy of a classic IMO..

Jen vs Martina was scrappy at times, but the drama etc was amazing...

Bright Red
Feb 1st, 2002, 05:40 AM
Yep, that's the one Czechfan. How do you remember all that? I have horrible memory when it comes to tennis matches, including obviously, grand slams. I need memory pills.