PDA

View Full Version : Ranking System really Blows

Linton
Jan 30th, 2002, 09:16 AM
Even though I dont know much about the WTA ranking system, i would like to sya it sucs.

Just a quick note on why.

U got kournakova and Torenee-Velero playing. Kournikova beat CTV. Where is Kourny ranked 99 or 100 and CTV is ranked just 43 or something behind Anne Kremer. Thats really stupid coz if a 99 player can bea a 40 odd player quite easily then y is she up in 99. I know how the ranking system does work. But surley the other way was better? Anyone agree?

disposablehero
Jan 30th, 2002, 09:34 AM
I'm not sure if you do know how the rankings system works. It is based on the last 52 weeks results, which for Anna have been partly poor and mostly non-existant. I'm not sure which "old" ranking system you are referring to, Anna would be about the same in any of them.

Linton
Jan 30th, 2002, 09:35 AM
hmm well ure prolly right. I should do my homework before

joao
Jan 30th, 2002, 09:38 AM
The ranking systems tells you who has the best results in the last 52 weeks. Not in one particular day! If Kournikova is #99, it's because in the last 52 weeks she didn't play enough tournaments to have points she deserves!

but still, a player in a very bad day can lose to a player ranked lower than her......this doesn't mean that she doesn't deserve her ranking! Take for example Hingis (#1 at that time) last year losing in the 1st round to Ruano Pascual #65 at Wimby.........does that mean that Ruano Pascual deserve a better ranking....I'm not sure!!! Anyone can lose to anyone in any bad day!

spencercarlos
Jan 30th, 2002, 01:21 PM
Well the ranking system sucks but not for that what you mention, cause you can take for example Monica Seles 2000 she was out for moths cause of an injury and when she came back she beat Schett, who was seeded higher than Monica.... BUT WE ALL KNOW THAT MONICA BEATS HER AND IS A BETTER PLAYER....
But when a player has an injury they have the 6 six months rule, i think, but Anna Kournukova despite not being ready phisically kept coming back in August, then in October... so she never spent 6 months out of WTA, so the rule did not applied to her :s . But hopefully she can upset a lot more people and rank herself where she should be!

thefreedesigner
Jan 30th, 2002, 05:31 PM
The ranking system is about form.

Monica's <i> form </i> prior to beating Schett would have been nada if she'd been injured, whoever the better player actually may be.

Same for Kournikova.

Keith
Jan 30th, 2002, 10:12 PM
kournikova does not need a protected ranking. ANY tournament will put her in the draw, she will never have trouble getting into any tournament. Ever, period.

griffin
Jan 30th, 2002, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by Linton
hmm well ure prolly right. I should do my homework before

Well, yeah.

spencercarlos
Jan 30th, 2002, 11:50 PM
Of course freedesigner but when you comeback from injury you don`t step in the court right away, you at least get some weeks to trying to get at least your timing back, or sort of it. Does not necesarly implies that you comeback and you have to lose to everyone ahead of you in ranking.

Bright Red
Jan 31st, 2002, 12:25 AM
The ranking system will never be perfect. The sport doesn't lend itself to a season rank.