PDA

View Full Version : Why Martina isn't Aussi's fave anymore?

Andre@
Jan 30th, 2002, 04:54 AM
What do you thing The Aussie's don't cheer for Martina as before?

Lisbeth
Jan 30th, 2002, 05:01 AM
I think a lot still do. However Aussies also tend to support the underdog or hard luck story and I guess Jennifer's hard luck story is a little worse than Martina's.

DutchieGirl
Jan 30th, 2002, 06:08 AM
Well, if you listen to what the commentators say (which is usually bull) then most Aussies are supposedly cheering for Kim now because she's Lleyton's girl. I cheer for Kim, but I have been cheering for her long before she started going out with Lleyton! hehe

barmaid
Jan 30th, 2002, 07:09 AM
I don't know where you got that assumption...according to what I've read (sports writers that covered the AO) Martina received far more applause from the fans than did JenCap...now, maybe some of that was sympathy applause...but I think Martina always acknowledges that she loves playing there...she appreciates the beautiful country....what's not to like??? She deserves all the praise for just standing up at the end of that heart breaking match....Bravo! Martina! You are a diplomat!!:hearts:
barmaid:wavey:

Linton
Jan 30th, 2002, 08:07 AM
Basicially I think its the other playes influencing the crows.

Times they wanted williams to win since they thought it was going to be her year.

They wanted Capriati to win to keep her dream run and the combeack of her life time

They wanted Clijsters to win coz he was goign out with top Aussie player Lleyton hewitt.

They wanted Seles to win so she could get back to number one aand she gotten to the semis, why not make it to the finals nd win the hole thing.

Its all influenced by what other people think. Next year someone else will be a crowd fav

SlamlessQueen
Jan 30th, 2002, 09:52 PM
Actually no one should cheer for martiparti aka The SlamlessQueen. Only teenagers find her "cuteeee" :rolleyes:, "beautiful" :rolleyes: , "gracious" :rolleyes: and such crap. Every intelligent person can see that she's just a nasty girl who tries hard not to show her bad feelings. She's just a big ego, nothing else. But she can't show a RG '99 again because it would only hurt her more. But that was the real martiparti, and non-blind tennis fans can find it out easily.

I'm not bashing her. She can be as nasty as she wants. I'm just bashing her unthoughtful fans who can't see further than her forehead... :rolleyes:

barmaid
Jan 30th, 2002, 10:30 PM
To Slamless Queen, What a tasteless post!!:o You are entitled to your opinion (as nasty as it is) but I have to disagree with you on the sheer merits of Martina's contribution to tennis....whereas she is a true Princess and you my dear have got to be a DRAG Queen!! Now, I won't keep you from your tricks!! Toddle off!:eek:
barmaid:mad:

Aloysius
Jan 30th, 2002, 10:56 PM
LOL. Well, it sure took "nasty" to identify "nasty", didn't it?

Most Australians follow tennis, period. A lot of people at club level don't have fan faves like we do. They cheer on whoever is doing well. This year is was Capriati, last time it was Hingis. Next time, it could be someone else.

RAA
Jan 30th, 2002, 10:57 PM
I don't know whether the Australian fans were or were not rooting for Hingis, but I do think that Hingis is sometimes a victim of her success. Most people like to root for the underdog - at least so they can see a hard fought match and/or 3 sets. Martina is usually not the underdog in her matches, so I think that spectators root for her opponent in the hopes of encouraging the underdog player.
Ruth in Philly PA USA

Bright Red
Jan 30th, 2002, 11:38 PM
The crowd supported Hingis. If she lost any support, I didn't notice

moby
Jan 31st, 2002, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by SlamlessQueen
Actually no one should cheer for martiparti aka The SlamlessQueen. Only teenagers find her "cuteeee" :rolleyes:, "beautiful" :rolleyes: , "gracious" :rolleyes: and such crap. Every intelligent person can see that she's just a nasty girl who tries hard not to show her bad feelings. She's just a big ego, nothing else. But she can't show a RG '99 again because it would only hurt her more. But that was the real martiparti, and non-blind tennis fans can find it out easily.

I'm not bashing her. She can be as nasty as she wants. I'm just bashing her unthoughtful fans who can't see further than her forehead... :rolleyes:

actually if that's who she really is, at LEAST she TRIES hard not to show her bad feelings. i wonder if you could do that :rolleyes:

anyway marti is a great person and a true champion. please keep your nastiness to yourself. we dont need it round here :angel: