PDA

View Full Version : Damn, it's a GOOD time to be a fan of the. . .

Pureracket
Jul 31st, 2003, 04:39 PM
. . . .Williams Sisters. :)

There are about 5948594859409120 million good reasons, but I have a freestyle list of my own:

-Best players in the world
-Two of the most talked about athletes ever
-On any given message board at any given time, @ least 50% of the threads are going to be about them.(almost 80% on this board.:))
-love them or hate them- nobody can really be neutral-Since they have been playing the game, they have always been in major contention of EVERY tournament they played-their poise is inspirational in how they deal with harsh criticism
-their love for family
-their love each other
-Serena is the most visible and most famous #1 player - ever
-their winning attitude
-their unapologetic attitude
-their beautiful smiles when questioned about lack of crowd support. :D
-their serves
-their groundstrokes
-their returns
-their finesse
-Even when they don't win, they assure their fans that everything is "ok"
-their crazy ass fans
-passionate haters who will stop at nothing but to criticize them :kiss:
-their championships
-their game faces
-charity work
-their fashion
-their style
-positive outlooks on life are incredible. Even when this thread turns to something negative by the "villagers", this Williams fan will still smile

Damn, it's just a good feeling being a Williams fan :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:
I LOVE IT!!!!! :)

alexusjonesfan
Jul 31st, 2003, 04:43 PM
lol, when was it a bad time to be a fan of the 'Williams sisters'?
If you think there ever was one, try being a fan for a day of any lower ranked inconsistent wonder for a change. :o

Rocketta
Jul 31st, 2003, 04:45 PM
I agree with PureRacket! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

:cool:

Pureracket
Jul 31st, 2003, 04:51 PM
caelestia,
It's never really been a bad time, but now is especially a good time for me. :)

Pureracket
Jul 31st, 2003, 04:51 PM
'cketta,

maccardel
Jul 31st, 2003, 04:53 PM
It is always good to be a fan of the williamses.....try being a fan of Alex.......talk about grey hair......

greg˛
Jul 31st, 2003, 04:56 PM
It 's time to be a Justine-fan: cause she shows she can cope the aggressive power with slice, topspin and technique :love:
It's time to be a Kim-fan: cause she shows that you don't need a GS, you don't need to beat the sisters to become the world number one :rolleyes:

Pureracket
Jul 31st, 2003, 04:58 PM
Still smilining. . . .:)

Rocketta
Jul 31st, 2003, 04:59 PM
It 's time to be a Justine-fan: cause she shows she can cope the aggressive power with slice, topspin and technique :love:
It's time to be a Kim-fan: cause she shows that you don't need a GS, you don't need to beat the sisters to become the world number one :rolleyes:

eh sounds like "seperate thread" topics to me....:o

Hendouble
Jul 31st, 2003, 06:04 PM
Indeed. But ergo, if you're not a fan of the Williams sisters, it's a very BAD time to be a fan of women's tennis. And also a bad time to be on a message board that positively reeks of smug self-satisfaction.

Glenn
Jul 31st, 2003, 06:07 PM
It's just easy to be a fan of the best player in the world. I like excitement.

Pureracket
Jul 31st, 2003, 06:42 PM
Hendouble,
Today, I AM smiling with smug satisfaction. . . . :)

My players fought there way up the ranking and have established themselves as the most feared in the game.:)

Hendouble
Jul 31st, 2003, 06:48 PM
I'm sure you are. But for the 80% of people who aren't Williams fans, generating any kind of interest or enthusiasm for women's tennis is a bit of a tall order at the moment. And yet it's still more popular than the men's - unbelievable...

sartrista7
Jul 31st, 2003, 07:00 PM
Hendouble,
Today, I AM smiling with smug satisfaction. . . . :)

My players fought there way up the ranking and have established themselves as the most feared in the game.:)

Exactly. Maybe you could explain why some of your fellow fans still do nothing but whine about how put-upon Venus and Serena are, then?

Oh, and as a Venus fan, I can safely say that being one is highly crappy right now. Damn little sisters. :mad:

Vegetable
Jul 31st, 2003, 07:00 PM
I prefer smug-self satisfied Williams supporters (annoying as some may be) over those who bitch, whine and moan when anyone who isn't a Williams fan says something not entirely positive about their faves :rolleyes:

Pureracket
Jul 31st, 2003, 07:02 PM
Hendouble,
Actually, it seems that those 80% who are not Willliams fans are doing something to support the sport. The finals of the Open was on prime time television where it did quite well, and the venues where they play have record attendance, so the "interest and enthusiasm" is coming from somewhere.

Pureracket
Jul 31st, 2003, 07:07 PM
Exactly. Maybe you could explain why some of your fellow fans still do nothing but whine about how put-upon Venus and Serena are, then?

Oh, and as a Venus fan, I can safely say that being one is highly crappy right now. Damn little sisters. :mad:

Sartrista,
I never said that that the fans who complain about "how put-upon Venus and Serena are" are wrong. . . . .LOL You'd have to ask them. This thread is not in a binary opposition to theirs.
:wavey:

One good thing we can say about Venus, though, is that if she recovers, she should definitely have a shot at #1 this time next year. She will be defending "zero" points. Knowing Queen Vee, though, she'll make some kinda decision to skip the hardcourt season. . . .LOL.

Vegetable
Jul 31st, 2003, 07:09 PM
I can definitely see where it would be even more frustrating to be a Venus fan than just a general non-Williams fan :lol:

Hendouble
Jul 31st, 2003, 07:09 PM
Oh yes, I was really speaking personally when I talked about the inability to gain interest and enthusiasm. But it must feel a little hollow to those who do attend the all-Williams contests, knowing that their own favourite players will never get a chance to achieve big things as long as those two are around. Think of all the dozens of good, talented players out there who will never win Grand Slam titles because they can't match that same standard. It's too depressing for words.

sartrista7
Jul 31st, 2003, 07:14 PM
Sartrista,
I never said that that the fans who complain about "how put-upon Venus and Serena are" are wrong. . . . .LOL You'd have to ask them. This thread is not in a binary opposition to theirs.
:wavey:

One good thing we can say about Venus, though, is that if she recovers, she should definitely have a shot at #1 this time next year. She will be defending "zero" points. Knowing Queen Vee, though, she'll make some kinda decision to skip the hardcourt season. . . .LOL.

I'm beyond caring about No 1, I just want her to kick Serena's ass :mad: And win Wimbledon again.

Hendouble, I just wish my other faves were in the position of just being blocked by the Williamses... ;)

Pureracket
Jul 31st, 2003, 07:20 PM
Oh yes, I was really speaking personally when I talked about the inability to gain interest and enthusiasm. But it must feel a little hollow to those who do attend the all-Williams contests, knowing that their own favourite players will never get a chance to achieve big things as long as those two are around. Think of all the dozens of good, talented players out there who will never win Grand Slam titles because they can't match that same standard. It's too depressing for words.
Hendouble,
It hasn't really hurt other sports, though. For the longest, the Boston Red Sox have been plagued by a serious curse along with the Chi. Cubs. I think I'm the world's only LA Clippers fan. Every year I would watch in agony as Lendl went down in flames @ Wimbledon(=). I was a fan of American Gymnastics when the Eastern Europeans and Asians kicked our butts all the time. This isn't the first time it's happened where players dominate. I don't think I've ever been asked to examine the feelings of the players and fans who don't win, though.:)

Pureracket
Jul 31st, 2003, 07:21 PM
Sartrista,
She will. . . .she will.

Hendouble
Jul 31st, 2003, 07:29 PM
Of course, one can still root for those players who aren't as successful, and I'd be lying if I said I didn't support a lot of them because I wanted them to topple the Williamses - by the same token, I'm sure a lot of people will root for anyone to stop Schumacher winning another GP in F1, no matter who that challenger is. But there comes a time when you realise that there's only so long you can cope with your favourite players achieving very little respective to their ability and potential. It all becomes pointless after a little while.

TennisHack
Jul 31st, 2003, 07:47 PM
And yet it's still more popular than the men's - unbelievable...

Men play tennis? :rolleyes:

:hug: Sjengster :hug:

Hendouble
Jul 31st, 2003, 07:58 PM
Men play tennis? :rolleyes:

:hug: Sjengster :hug:

Hackie :kiss:

Sorry, I'm in one of my more depressive moods about women's tennis. I think this reaction only comes after you've sat through the last couple of Wimbledon finals. ;)

Pureracket
Jul 31st, 2003, 08:14 PM
Hendouble,
I hope Venus and Serena can do better in the Wimbledon(=) final next year.:)

Hendouble
Jul 31st, 2003, 08:20 PM
Hendouble,
I hope Venus and Serena can do better in the Wimbledon(=) final next year.:)

Apologies pureracket, but it's the results, not the quality, that depresses me. As far as I'm concerned, for them to do better next year, they would actually have to do worse... ;)

Pureracket
Jul 31st, 2003, 08:24 PM
Hendouble,
I'm assuming that JHH is your fav. If she "dominated" the tour, you would start supporting another, lower ranked player?

fifiricci
Jul 31st, 2003, 09:31 PM
:zzz:

SJW
Jul 31st, 2003, 09:42 PM
being a sisters fan is a great feeling :)

love them to bits, but cant forget my other girls :kiss:

SJW
Jul 31st, 2003, 09:43 PM
It's just easy to be a fan of the best player in the world. I like excitement.

bullshit!

you would like ur fave to win everything and be the best just like the rest of us ;) thing is, she hasnt yet :o

Hendouble
Jul 31st, 2003, 10:23 PM
Hendouble,
I'm assuming that JHH is your fav. If she "dominated" the tour, you would start supporting another, lower ranked player?

Well, she is my favourite player, but I'm not really that big a fan of her or any particular WTA player. I understand your point; obviously it feels much better when one player is dominating if you happen to be a fan of that player. I'll admit, I could probably cope with it much better, but to be honest I'd never really be able to like a tour where the opposition was so limited and where few matches were real challenges. If there isn't a real danger that your favourite player could lose a lot of the time, where is the excitement in following them? If Henin did dominate, I probably wouldn't get sick of her, but I would get sick of her meeting the same players in the latter round of tournaments again and again.

harloo
Jul 31st, 2003, 10:30 PM
I agree Putracket. The Williams are the show. Whether people love them or hate on them, they always make the headlines. :D

Miss Thang
Jul 31st, 2003, 11:16 PM
. . . .Williams Sisters. :)

There are about 5948594859409120 million good reasons, but I have a freestyle list of my own:

-Best players in the world
-Two of the most talked about athletes ever
-On any given message board at any given time, @ least 50% of the threads are going to be about them.(almost 80% on this board.:))
-love them or hate them- nobody can really be neutral-Since they have been playing the game, they have always been in major contention of EVERY tournament they played-their poise is inspirational in how they deal with harsh criticism
-their love for family
-their love each other
-Serena is the most visible and most famous #1 player - ever
-their winning attitude
-their unapologetic attitude
-their beautiful smiles when questioned about lack of crowd support. :D
-their serves
-their groundstrokes
-their returns
-their finesse
-Even when they don't win, they assure their fans that everything is "ok"
-their crazy ass fans
-passionate haters who will stop at nothing but to criticize them :kiss:
-their championships
-their game faces
-charity work
-their fashion
-their style
-positive outlooks on life are incredible. Even when this thread turns to something negative by the "villagers", this Williams fan will still smile

Damn, it's just a good feeling being a Williams fan :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:
I LOVE IT!!!!! :)

Preach! :worship: :bigclap:

And chile u forgot one...

-on the regular the sista's get certain peeps to recognize the hate within themselves :devil:

Rocketta
Jul 31st, 2003, 11:28 PM
And chile u forgot one...

-on the regular the sista's get certain peeps to recognize the hate within themselves :devil:

:haha:

Dawn Marie
Jul 31st, 2003, 11:48 PM
What I admire about Venus and Serena is that they are not one deminsional women. They have great careers ahead and away from tennis. They will not leave tennis to be someone's wifey. Nope they are gonna find themselves have great careers then start a family/home.

They are not robots and are successful women and great mothers and role models to be.

I also like the fact that THEY KNEW INSIDE THEIR MINDS AND SOULS AND HEART OF HEARTS THAT THEY WOULD BE CHAMPIONS ON THE COURT .. when alot of people discounted them, they just kept on going and proved people of their own ignorance and fear. I think V@S helped alot of people realize they're own fears and biases and thus gave them some free but much need psychological help. Of course so many people are still living in fear and won't acknowledge their own mindsets and anger.

Hendouble
Aug 1st, 2003, 12:47 AM
"Great mothers" - huh? Also, despite your best attempts to convince me that they are the ultimate mental gurus of our age, I will not be calling on Venus and Serena next time I'm in need of psychotherapy. Just let them play tennis, all right, try not to ascribe God-like status to them into the bargain.

Pureracket
Aug 1st, 2003, 12:48 AM
Miss Thang,
That's funny. . .LOL!!!!!

Pureracket
Aug 1st, 2003, 01:30 AM
Hendouble,
I think the reference is to their mental toughness. At least twice in her career, Serena has been down 1-5 in the third set and came back and won.

Hendouble
Aug 1st, 2003, 01:40 AM
"I think V@S helped alot of people realize they're own fears and biases and thus gave them some free but much need psychological help."

Sounds like a career recommendation for psychiatry to me, based on goodness knows what.

Pureracket
Aug 1st, 2003, 01:42 AM
LOL. . .. true.

disposablehero
Aug 1st, 2003, 01:46 AM

Well, on this one, this is the only one of the 19 most recently updated threads that is about them. Odd, when you consider the vast majority of Europeans are sleeping.

Pureracket
Aug 1st, 2003, 01:50 AM
Well, on this one, this is the only one of the 19 most recently updated threads that is about them. Odd, when you consider the vast majority of Europeans are sleeping.
Why is that odd?

disposablehero
Aug 1st, 2003, 01:53 AM
Why is that odd?

Because you would expect the Europeans to talk less about the WS than those from the US. But it is presumably mostly people from North America online right now.

Pureracket
Aug 1st, 2003, 01:57 AM
Oh, I see. . . I see. Good point.

Cybelle Darkholme
Aug 1st, 2003, 02:59 AM
No it is not good! They don't win enough! They don't beat the opposition bad enough! I want double bagel score lines! I want love forty games for all 12 games! No points for the opposition! I want all aces all the time! I want ball kids bowing and throwing rose petals on the ground as they change ends!

I want the chair umpires to blow kisses after saying "game miss williams." I want the fans to stand and sit with their back to the court because they don't deserve to gaze upon the beauty and grace the tennis gods have set before them! Then the fans must sacrifice their first born daughter to the House of Williams by shipping her First Class on Midwest Express to Florida to become adopted by oracene and williams and inducted into the william sister sisterhood where they will continue the legacy!

then i will have a good time. :angel:

Leo_DFP
Aug 1st, 2003, 03:10 AM
Congrafuckinglations, PureRacket! :D

Once again, I agree with the Sjengster. Was this thread really necessary or do you guys just love to rub it in?