PDA

View Full Version : The Harm that will occurr to the WTA.......

cirelowe
Jul 31st, 2003, 04:44 PM
if serena wins, will be unimagineable! How can you explain that a player could win the Tour's greatest event (and, yes, the Open is the biggest Event) without any warm up events!???? Not only will the powers-to-be have ill feelings, but can you imagine the remainding players on the tour? How do you start to believe yourself with a player like Serena dominating with a minimal effort?

Yall, we hope and pray that Lindsay Davenport can easily dismantle both of them.

Cire

Ryan
Jul 31st, 2003, 04:47 PM
if serena wins, will be unimagineable! How can you explain that a player could win the Tour's greatest event (and, yes, the Open is the biggest Event) without any warm up events!???? Not only will the powers-to-be have ill feelings, but can you imagine the remainding players on the tour? How do you start to believe yourself with a player like Serena dominating with a minimal effort?

Yall, we hope and pray that Lindsay Davenport can easily dismantle both of them.

Cire

No, YOU hope Lindsay will dismantle both of them. I'd much rather see Kim beat them. But if Serena does win, it will be a great feat and people will have to applaud her for her consistancy.

Cybelle Darkholme
Jul 31st, 2003, 04:50 PM
and people wonder why williams fans are so defensive? :rolleyes:

irma
Jul 31st, 2003, 04:54 PM
players have won australia without a warm up so why can't they win the us open without a warm up?

Filip!
Jul 31st, 2003, 04:55 PM
I don't think the US Open is the biggest WTA-event. I mean, they have 4 slams. It's maybe the biggest in the US, but for me, the 4 slams are at the same level!

irma
Jul 31st, 2003, 04:56 PM
if serena wins when she walks with crutches and needs a wheelchair afterwards, then I get worried;)

villa
Jul 31st, 2003, 04:59 PM
players have won australia without a warm up so why can't they win the us open without a warm up?

Well at the oz their isn't much chance for a player to get any preparation- it occurs only two weeks after the season start...

serena had hardly any warm up laster year- only playing la where she won 1 match in the entire hardcourt season and was injured for the rest of the events- it didn't stop her then did it? i doubt it will stop her know either- unless she defeats herslef with unnforced errors or kim/justine/lindsay/jen develope new serves/power/speed than serena will be in the final again......

irma
Jul 31st, 2003, 05:09 PM
that's why I mean too. serena is a champion who can win at any time at any minute. she proved that!

Leo_DFP
Jul 31st, 2003, 05:14 PM
Serena's early rounds are usually good enough preparation for the later rounds against the toppers. Last year in the US Open Serena played one rusty match (versus Corina) and then was on fire from then on.

Dava
Jul 31st, 2003, 05:17 PM
Serena is a big cash in for the WTA, people especially Americans love to tune in and watch her win. Yes it would be crazy if she managed it, butshe is the bets player, and after 6 matches she moght just be able to be in the right kinda shape to take the title.

i_like_tennis
Jul 31st, 2003, 05:17 PM
and people wonder why williams fans are so defensive? :rolleyes:
coz those worshippers hate white people?... :rolleyes:
anyways, it's not like Steffi played a lotta warm up events
to beat Martina to win RG

Cybelle Darkholme
Jul 31st, 2003, 05:27 PM

listen oh ignorant one if you had read this thread earlier before the moderators edited it you would have seen what your cohort wrote and I responded to.

alexusjonesfan
Jul 31st, 2003, 05:40 PM
why is this a big deal all of a sudden?
besides, I always thought Wimbledon had the most prestige even though the US Open gives out the most cash.

Serena didn't play any warmups for wimby either...correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think Venus played any clay warmups last year and still made it to the final. Venus and Serena have been on tour long enough that everyone knows that they don't need matchplay to have high confidence or to keep their game at a high level. It was a big deal when they first arrived but now why would anyone be surprised if Serena cruises to her third US Open title this year? You people need to get some creative ways to bash Serena or bait her fans :lol:

maccardel
Jul 31st, 2003, 06:05 PM

Cire

Let me get this, a player is injured and returns and wins and she should give the trophy back?

Why come back? You are not making any sense. The sport is one that allows you to make up your own schedule and it depends on your body and your will to win....I think a player who gets to number one and not.......ooops!!! :tape:

I promised myself not to discuss any such things.

cirelowe
Jul 31st, 2003, 06:08 PM
Historically, Lindsay and Serena ALWAYS face each other in the US Open! I don't know how this occurrs, but the Tennis Gods see fit to put the 2 of them against each other. Unlike the previous 3 years, Lindsay now knows what it takes to defeat Serena. She knows if you can keep the ball in play, Serena will eventually self-destruct! This is how Justine and Amelie have managed to Man-handle (no pun intended) her in their victories.

Mark my words: There is no way Serena will win the Open! Nada! Hell no! Zilch! My money is on Venus, Lindsay or Amelie, with the latter receiving the bulk of my vote!

Cire

Knizzle
Jul 31st, 2003, 06:13 PM
No, YOU hope Lindsay will dismantle both of them. I'd much rather see Kim beat them. But if Serena does win, it will be a great feat and people will have to applaud her for her consistancy.

Both of them?? There are two Serenas?? :confused: No one told me about this.

Jasmin
Jul 31st, 2003, 06:20 PM

White people started the hate thing when it came to different races.

Rocketta
Jul 31st, 2003, 06:27 PM
Both of them?? There are two Serenas?? :confused: No one told me about this.

:o

LOL

:worship:

persond
Jul 31st, 2003, 06:33 PM

And, you get the "prize" for the "dumbest" response in this thread...!!!

How in hell did you arrive at the conclusion that "white people" had anything to do with Cybelles' response...??? Oh, pardon me, you're friends with Ms. Cleo...!!! At, any rate Ms. Cybelle is right (as always), there is this never ending war of words against the Williamses. It's really pathetic...!!!

Knizzle
Jul 31st, 2003, 06:34 PM

Cire

Well we know your girl Jennifer Capriati ain't winning it, that's for damn sure.

Volcana
Jul 31st, 2003, 06:34 PM
if serena wins, will be unimagineable!
Cire

I agree. Given all the publicity and veiwers Serena brings to the WTA, it's virtually impossible to imagine how ANYTHING tennis-related she does COULD actually be called 'harm'.

persond
Jul 31st, 2003, 06:39 PM

Cire

The "ONLY" thing it'll prove is what a "great Champion" Serena is...!!!

Fingon
Jul 31st, 2003, 06:41 PM

Cire

The US Open the biggest event? :haha:

and so? if Serena wins the tour will survive, don't worry, and I think you are putting too much faith and preasure on Davenport, labelling her as a saviour. She is not the Lindsay the Serena Slayer from Sunnydale, she is only a very good tennis player

cirelowe
Jul 31st, 2003, 06:47 PM
Don't sleep on jennifer, yall! She's going to be in her backyard, where she will definately have the majority of fan support!

A fit Jennifter - physical and mental - is the best tennis player in the world!

Cire

Serendy Willick
Jul 31st, 2003, 09:53 PM
Cant wait till Serena smokes the field like last year.

griffin
Jul 31st, 2003, 09:57 PM
click now on profile
add user to ignore list
all serene again

jenglisbe
Jul 31st, 2003, 10:14 PM
I don't think it means much; if Serena won the WTA Championships having been injured and not having played for 1-2 months, it would be a sad statement about the depth of women's tennis.

If Serena wins the Open, though, she gets 2-3 rounds (at least) before she plays a top 30 opponent. This gives her time to find her game. She then wouldn't face a real threat until 4-5 matches in. Most top players would be ready to go by then. Look at Hingis making the final of the 1997 French despite being injured and missing a couple months.

fried_beans
Jul 31st, 2003, 11:05 PM
Only an American would call the US Open the biggest event in tennis. Ask any player what slam they want the most and its usually Wimbledon or the French.

Rocketta
Jul 31st, 2003, 11:13 PM
there's a big difference between "biggest" tournament, ie money and "most prestigous" tournament, ie most people want to win.

Isn't there a big difference in the prize money between the US Open and Wimbledon?

*JR*
Jul 31st, 2003, 11:31 PM
Only an American would call the US Open the biggest event in tennis. Ask any player what slam they want the most and its usually Wimbledon or the French.
Simon, we own your country, don't forget that! :p

fried_beans
Jul 31st, 2003, 11:34 PM
Then why dont we give a rats ass to help you out in war? :p

kyk710
Jul 31st, 2003, 11:36 PM
I guess as a williams fan I hate half of myself then. :rolleyes: back at you!

Miss Thang
Aug 1st, 2003, 12:26 AM
Miss Steffi won slams without any prep and Miss Rena just like her. :cool:
It's up to Queen Vee, Miss Kim, Miss Justine and the other big name posse to make sure it don't happen. It aint gonna be easy but they need to step it up and show they wanna win it as much as Miss Rena. That didn't happen at Wimbledon but they got a second chance so cmon y'all get ta steppin! :cool:

Lisbeth
Aug 1st, 2003, 12:31 AM
Oh, I think women's tennis will survive.

tennnisfannn
Aug 1st, 2003, 12:42 AM
Does anyone really believe Serena and Venus are home eating nachos and watching the simpsons all day long. They have got each other. I know it is not the same as actual match play, but playing each other at home is as good as any final on the tour anytime. I am sure the rest of the players know venus and serena are never 'unprepared'. YThat is why i am never surprised when they both do so well with barely any match play. Why play a bye, a qualifier just to get to quaters and think you are ready when are against each other, you are drilled for whatever great serve is gonna be dished at you and practise as good a return as you are gonna get.

MarcusRock
Aug 1st, 2003, 12:58 AM
Don't sleep on jennifer, yall! She's going to be in her backyard, where she will definately have the majority of fan support!You mean like all the other years she's played there? How much did it help?[QUOTE=cirelowe]A fit Jennifter - physical and mental - is the best tennis player in the world!She's neither right now and hasn't been for quite some time yet she'll need to get both of those back in about a month to win like you say she might. Hmmmm. I'd bet against that.

jenglisbe
Aug 1st, 2003, 03:14 AM
I would say the Open crowns the best champions of any major...