PDA

View Full Version : Australian Open 2004 Stays In January!!

Filadidas
Jul 31st, 2003, 12:43 PM
Just found out from the ATP Calendar 2004 that the Australian Open will be held at the same time as usual - January!!!

Can't wait to see some live Grand Slam tennis!!! Lucky for our Melbournians!!! :)

switz
Jul 31st, 2003, 12:48 PM
it was never going to change that soon. i think the plan was was either 2005 or 2007. they have sponsorship contracts etc which would become void if the dates were changed.

fifiricci
Jul 31st, 2003, 01:17 PM
Just found out from the ATP Calendar 2004 that the Australian Open will be held at the same time as usual - January!!!

Can't wait to see some live Grand Slam tennis!!! Lucky for our Melbournians!!! :)

I bloody hope so, am coming all the way from the UK to catch it in 2004 (well combined with a trip to Perth to see some friends).

Dava
Jul 31st, 2003, 01:19 PM
If they are going to move it the sensible thing to do would be to play the indoor events of Febuaury first.

But I think its best the way it is, as long as no-one gets injured or sunsrtoked.

Experimentee
Jul 31st, 2003, 01:25 PM
switz is right, it was never going to change that soon. So it still could change in 2007.
I hope it will stay where it is though.

Lisbeth
Jul 31st, 2003, 11:40 PM
I think I heard that it would definitely not change until after the Commonwealth Games in 2006 because of commitments for the site - ie the first year for any change would be 2007.

The Aus public is dead set against it moving out of school holidays though so unless they move it to Easter I think ticket sale considerations will win.