PDA

View Full Version : LA Championships: Isn't it great ?

GoDominique
Jul 31st, 2003, 12:05 PM
... that we will have the new format this year, featuring only 8 players ?

In both rankings (WTA and Race), we have the same 8 players leading convincingly: Serena, Kim, Justine, Venus, Lindsay, Jennifer, Amelie and Chanda.
And frankly, I don't want to see anyone else playing there. Certainly not Meghann, Nathalie or Daniela, who would be in with the old format. Just because they shouldn't play in an event featuring the best of the best.

Of course, if one of those still makes it into the top 8 with a great performance at the US Open, it will be fine. But right now the current top 8 are IMO the only ones desering to play in LA.

Chance
Jul 31st, 2003, 12:14 PM
yeah if the top 8 play it should be quite interesting, but what are the chances that the top 8 will all be healthy to compete....

Cariaoke
Jul 31st, 2003, 12:19 PM
:sad: all these injuries are messing up a good thing. I'm still excited but I just hope that the people who worked hard all year to make the race won't be replaced. That would truly suck.

Come-on-kim
Jul 31st, 2003, 12:48 PM
I'd like to see Ai in the championships!

justine&coria
Jul 31st, 2003, 12:53 PM
I think it's better than the other years.

GoDominique
Jul 31st, 2003, 12:53 PM
I'd like to see Ai in the championships!
Well, you will. At least in doubles.

And maybe she will make it in singles too, however losing to Lisa won't improve her chances.

Come-on-kim
Jul 31st, 2003, 12:58 PM
Well, you will. At least in doubles.

And maybe she will make it in singles too, however losing to Lisa won't improve her chances.
yeah i know!! but i hope she'll have strong results in the end of the year! Well at least I hope she'll be an alternate

smmash90
Jul 31st, 2003, 01:05 PM
I think the new format has made it far less interesting. The top 8, are already decided, barring injuries, so what have players to play for during the Indoor season? It's all very well showcasing the elite, but players like Maleeva, Dementieva,Petrova etc deserve their chance too, for all their hard work and great matches throughout the year!!
The regular tournement format is also far beter than the round robin. Personally, I would rather see a greater variety of good players, than the same few play again and again.

Gowza
Jul 31st, 2003, 01:11 PM
there are good things about the new format and bad things about the new format but the tournament caters for what they wanted it to be which was a tournament with a completely elite field.

it's obviously good that we have a tournament which only has the top players as there will be a lot of high quality tennis played (or their should be). but then for the other players it is a waste of time competing in the indoor season besides money which is actually a very good reason to compete but in-terms of being in the elite tournament there is not much opening.

a format is tricky to decide at the moment because people want to see more than 8 players compete but they don't want to see sloppy play and at the moment the only solution is to have less people but higher quality tennis IMO.

Experimentee
Jul 31st, 2003, 01:17 PM
Yeah i think the championships will be great this year, barring injury. I'd like to see how the top 8 match up against each other in the round robin.

fifiricci
Jul 31st, 2003, 01:23 PM
I think the new format has made it far less interesting. The top 8, are already decided, barring injuries, so what have players to play for during the Indoor season? It's all very well showcasing the elite, but players like Maleeva, Dementieva,Petrova etc deserve their chance too, for all their hard work and great matches throughout the year!!
The regular tournement format is also far beter than the round robin. Personally, I would rather see a greater variety of good players, than the same few play again and again.

But isnt that the whole point of the LA tournament - the best of the best fighting it out? :confused:

All the others get their chances the whole of the rest of the year in all the other tournaments>

Lady
Jul 31st, 2003, 01:59 PM
It'll be so exciting, to see so many matches between the top players!! I can't wait to see it!!

great smash
Jul 31st, 2003, 02:02 PM
The number of matches in total will be the same as before, 12+2+1 : 15

However, this time the matches should be closer.

Those who argue to include no. 9-16 is better, look at the past two year, out of 16 first round matches only 3 were won by the lower seed.
It's almost similar like starting with the top 8 from the start, which they are doing now.

jenglisbe
Jul 31st, 2003, 03:45 PM
How will the points work? As in, Kim got 750 points for winning last year. Can she even get that many this year since there is one less round?

Rollo
Jul 31st, 2003, 07:01 PM
Good question Jenglisbe. Do the quarterfinalists just get points for round reached and only quality points for a win? And what are the tiebreakers if 3 women go 2-1 and the 4th goes 0-3?

TennisHack
Jul 31st, 2003, 07:38 PM
And what are the tiebreakers if 3 women go 2-1 and the 4th goes 0-3?

If they are following the men's format, it will be decided by sets won-lost if there is a tie, or possibly by games.

I don't know about the points situation, though.