PDA

View Full Version : Who will be next world no. 1 ?

Zl@tko
Jan 30th, 2002, 12:04 AM
Capriati is number 1 now. Who do you think has a chance to be next world number 1 ? Lindsay won't play for a while, Venus probably won't play enough tournaments to be number 1. If Martina can win some titles or if she wins grand slam she could be number one again. But it seems Jennifer will be first ranked woman more than just few weeks :rolleyes:

Martian Mel
Jan 30th, 2002, 12:09 AM
MARTI! :bounce: :kiss: :hearts:

QUEENLINDSAY
Jan 30th, 2002, 12:13 AM
More likely Jenn will hold it for longer period as Lindsay is injured.
Kim or maybe Lindsay again in later part of the year.

Martina??? maybe !!!!!
Venus???? Grandslam??? yes but Number ONE?? NO!!! She is not an all court player.
Serena???? She is not in my list yet!!!

ys
Jan 30th, 2002, 12:17 AM
OK, surely no Davenport, her rankings will go south because of her injury. Williams.. Not before claycourt season starts.. Hingis.. She has a lot of points to defend up to RG, but only two titles, all the rest is finals/semis. Technically she can improve her total. Especially is she does well in USA. I think she is the only one with some minor chance to dislodge Capriati before RG.

Kart
Jan 30th, 2002, 12:44 AM
I imagine it will be Venus.

I would expect to see Jen hold onto the top spot until the clay court season - unless Martina can improve on her results which will be difficult as she earned a large amount of her points in the first half of the year.

hugetennisfan
Jan 30th, 2002, 12:54 AM
I would say Venus, but I've been thinking that for about one year now. Something always seems to come up. After the AO final, I think Jennifer will keep no1 for a while.

Carlitos
Jan 30th, 2002, 01:05 AM
I think and I hope it will be VENUS!:kiss:

AjdeNate!
Jan 30th, 2002, 01:10 AM
Before Roland Garros - Jen
After Roland Garros - Venus
After Wimbledon - Hingis
After US Open - ?

mishar
Jan 30th, 2002, 01:23 AM
Monica will win Tokyo, Paris, Dubai, Indian Wells, Amelia Island and Charleston and become #1 before the end of May.

Ok -- a boy can dream, right?:p ;)

mn73
Jan 30th, 2002, 01:38 AM
It will be Venus - if she plays and wins Paris and Dubai she will overtake Jennifer in three weeks time. Simple maths!

per4ever
Jan 30th, 2002, 01:39 AM
Kim....but later on..

Cam'ron Giles
Jan 30th, 2002, 01:59 AM
VENUS IS THREE WEEKS

Mazza
Jan 30th, 2002, 02:21 AM
Kimmie Clijsters!!! :bounce:

cheeky
Jan 30th, 2002, 03:33 AM
definitely venus!!!:bounce:

Jordan.
Jan 30th, 2002, 03:37 AM
Martina!!!!

Linton
Jan 30th, 2002, 04:24 AM
Well heres the top 10 and my perspectives.

Jenn is Number 1 right now, she pprobably will hold it to Roland Garros I persume. But if Martina can edge her out in Scotsdale and win a couple of her tourneys she might have a chance

Lindsay Davenport- Well not after she comes back form her injury she cant really make it

Williams needs to make a few more tournaments.

Hingis probably has the best chance

Clijsters-nope

henin-nope

Mauresmo-nope

serena-Maybe

Docik-Nope

Seles-Well I dunno

Bright Red
Jan 30th, 2002, 04:32 AM
It's hard to say who'll reach number one next, and even if she does, how long will she hold it? I think Venus will see it, Jen will hold it several times, and probably Hingis and Lindsay, too. These girls will jockey back and forth over the position although not for the sake of claiming the #1 spot (except maybe Hingis), but to win tournaments. The #1 position isn't a very coveted spot these days.

Lisbeth
Jan 30th, 2002, 05:12 AM
Martina, then maybe Kim leter in the year.

Venus in my view deserves it but seems to be just too fragile to play enough tournaments. If she wants to win slams, it's more important that she stays uninjured than that she gets the ranking and I think Venus knows that.

Linton
Jan 30th, 2002, 08:12 AM
If Martina Gets back to number 1 u know how hard it will be for others to revenge the #1 ranking. I mean look at all the consecutive weeks she had it.

Williams Rulez
Jan 30th, 2002, 02:43 PM
I think Venus/Martina have a realistic chance.

thekimfan
Jan 30th, 2002, 03:44 PM
Kim, Kim, Kim!!!:cool:
(I'm not saying this year, but...)

moby
Jan 30th, 2002, 03:47 PM
venus has a chance
basically, she must do it DURING RG
but she wont be able to hold it for long
marti should overtake her after wimby

Elske
Jan 30th, 2002, 05:05 PM
Kim!!

Sam L
Jan 30th, 2002, 05:16 PM
Both Venus and Martina have realistic chances.

But I really hope it's Venus cause:

1. She deserves it
2. Everyone knows she is
3. It's about time :)

Also I don't want Martina to be back to #1 until she actually wins another slam! :( Hopefully that happens ASAP, you know where! :D

thefreedesigner
Jan 30th, 2002, 05:29 PM
The next <b> new </b> #1 after Jen I'll go for Venus, but she has to do it soon(ish), because after that it's she can only lose points.

I'm with Sam L, If Martina could do it, it'd be great if she did it off the back of maybe an RG win or something.

Depending on when Lindsay comes back she's got to be looking good too.

If I had to bet money, I'd go with Lindsay (even though I don't know when she's coming back!)

Rubylips
Feb 4th, 2002, 02:34 AM
VENUS WILLIAMS:bounce:

CanIGetAWhat
Jul 10th, 2002, 01:42 AM
now that Serena's the new No. 1, the question should be: who will be the next NEW No. 1? (obviously Venus, Martina, Monica, Lindsay and Jennifer are out of the question) :cool:

Cybelle Darkholme
Jul 10th, 2002, 01:49 AM
There will be no new number one for quite some time. Serena, Venus, Jennifer, Lindsay, Monica, and Martina are just too strong for the other girls to break the stranglehold on the number one spot.

selesadmirer
Jul 10th, 2002, 01:50 AM
seles will be number one.

ys
Jul 10th, 2002, 01:51 AM
I don't think that player is already playing on Tour..
For next 2-3 years these players will be still dominating the Tour.. In 3 years all of them will probably pass their prime..

ASTRID
Jul 10th, 2002, 01:54 AM
I think Serena will stay up there for a while but If Martina comes back strong Watch Out :)

Cybelle Darkholme
Jul 10th, 2002, 02:00 AM
Lets put it this way:

serena: 20
venus: 22
Martina: 21

Jennifer:26
Lindsay: 26

Monica: 28

In three years monica will probably be retired. With Jenn and Lindsay hot on her heels.

That leaves serena at 23, venus at 25, and martina at 24. Excuse me but since Kim, Daniela, Justine, are all around serenas age they will be 23 as well. with momo bringing up 25.

Considering that venus and serena have not reached their potential, they will be improving and getting better along with the other girls.

Martina, well who knows. If she rededicates herself she can claim the number one again but until venus serena and martina retire I just dont see anyone else getting to the top spot.

Mark43
Jul 10th, 2002, 03:16 AM
Venus will be the next number one. She has got to be pissed about losing the past 3 slams. I know she is defending a lot of points into the US, but NONE afterwards.

KoOlMaNsEaN
Jul 10th, 2002, 03:23 AM
I think Jennifer Capriati can be the next #1 player again!

persond
Jul 10th, 2002, 04:07 AM
Originally posted by KoolManSteven
I think Jennifer Capriati can be the next #1 player again!

:) Unless Cappy starts winning some tournaments, her days in the top 10 are numbered and reaching number 1 again, almost impossible!!! Plus, now, she'll have to contend with the return of Lindsay and Martina!!!. She, should've been careful in wishing them back so soon.!!!:D :D :kiss: :kiss:

RYNJ
Jul 10th, 2002, 05:25 AM
Aint it nice to look at some of the old posts.

Venus is not an all court player, wont reach number one.
Venus won't be number one when the clay court season starts.
Venus needs to play more.
AND RULED OUT SERENA...

TeeRexx
Jul 10th, 2002, 06:42 AM
LOL@Daniel!
Glad you bumped up this old thread, buddy. :)

jomar
Jul 10th, 2002, 06:49 AM
Yeah TeeRexx, this means that you're not the only one who gets wrong predictions sometimes.:angel:

Lisbeth
Jul 10th, 2002, 07:01 AM
No-one but Serena and maybe Venus will hold it again this year, then Martina I think will have a chance by mid next year (she won't be defending much at all). But when Kim's arm heals they'd better watch out:)

R. DIS
Jul 10th, 2002, 07:07 AM
Don't count out Jen, she doesn't have too much to defend the rest of the year. When she wins San Diego, LA, Montreal, and the US Open she'll be #1.

raddronald
Jul 10th, 2002, 08:26 AM
i think that Serena will keep it for the rest of the year.

Harju.
Jul 10th, 2002, 10:20 AM
Venus
or
Lindsay!!!

Williams Rulez
Jul 10th, 2002, 10:25 AM
Odds are on Serena to keep it till after the clay court season. She has a healthy 800 point lead at this time, and she missed the AO, where she can gain a lot of points. It is possible to lose it at the start of the clay season though... unlikely though. She'll more likely lose it after RG.