PDA

View Full Version : why did capriati retire injured?

Gowza
Jul 31st, 2003, 04:49 AM
was it really serious or was she taking precautions so she would be fit and ready for the us open.

SerenaSlam
Jul 31st, 2003, 05:00 AM
from what i read, and the pictures of her face etc, she seemed to be in real pain. she said she didn't even practice for 2 days, so clearly the "pain" factor was there :)

Gowza
Jul 31st, 2003, 05:04 AM
that sucks. i was hoping that she retired so she didn't injure it too much so she'd be healthy for the us open.

Malin
Jul 31st, 2003, 05:19 AM
I'm really worried about this injury, she said it is a result of the shoulder injury from Wimbledon which everyone claimed she was faking!!

Tratree
Jul 31st, 2003, 05:20 AM
She said she was having pain on the serve, forehands and the backhand slice, so she figured it was best to stop. She gave it the good college try. Her serves were way down in like the 80s and it was obvious she had trouble hitting them as well as high balls. She was taped up pretty good and had the trainer on the first changeover, played the next two games (which she lost) and then looked at her mom and Steven, put her hand up to her neck and gave the "cut throat" sign as if to say, "that's it" and went up to the ump and retired to the match. Her mom waited for her to get her stuff together and then hugged her when she came off the court. It was really sweet :) Jen said it was just not in her to quit a match like that, but she realized pretty quick that it was hopeless.

WtaTour4Ever
Jul 31st, 2003, 05:27 AM
hmmmm Maybe she should have pulled out before the tourny like Serena :-)

Seriously though...thats too bad, hope she gets better soon.....

brunof
Jul 31st, 2003, 07:05 AM
Ya, it is sad. I would rather see her retire than try to push it and injure herself more. Figured it was useless. Plus she was playing Elena who is so talented but inconsistant.