PDA

View Full Version : Match Points lost in Grand Slam Final?

roots
Jan 29th, 2002, 11:36 PM
I'm not trying to add to the bloodshed, but I've always wondered if any player had ever held a match point in a Grand Slam Final and lost the match. I know it has happened in other tournaments or in previous rounds of a Slam, but no in a final, I think. I've been watching and following tennis for 13 years and I can't remember if that ever hapened.

So the fact that Martina held 4 match points and lost, does that make her the only player (male or female) to lose a match after having a match point?

I'v always wanted to know that, and with what hapened in Melbourne, well it obviously fueled my curiosity.

Keith
Jan 30th, 2002, 12:06 AM
It has happened a few times. But before the Open era. It happened in 18-something. some lady saved 3 mp's, went on to win. A couple men did it in the early part of last century as well.

But even modern day players facing the bullet at match point down would probably make a nice thread!

mn73
Jan 30th, 2002, 01:51 AM
The last time it happened was 1962.

4 matchpoints is the new record for most matchpoints saved before winning in a Grand Slam final. Previous record holder was 3 from 1889!?!

That's just women's finals though - don't know about men's.

Jordan.
Jan 30th, 2002, 03:39 AM
Oh no!Martinas making all these horrible records!:sad: