PDA

View Full Version : The best matches you DIDN'T see

Joana
Jul 30th, 2003, 11:50 PM
I'm not talking about matches from distant past, for example those of Mo Conolly or Helen Wills, but about those matches you had a chance to see but somehow didn't.

RG final '98
Arantxa, my number 1 fave back then beat Lindsay, my number 2 fave in the semis. I was very pissed off, and that made me realize how much I actually liked Lindsay. So I had little desire to watch the final, as I thought Monica would win easily, and instead I went out. When I came back late that night my mother asked me "Who do you think won the final?" I was like: "Well Monica, duh." And she said: "Well no, Arantxa did." She also told me about the award ceremony and Arantxa apologizing to the crowd etc. I still regret not seeing that match.

I'll absolutely never forgive myself for not seeing the RG final '99. I don't even know why I didn't watch that match, I thought Martina was going to win, and I couldn't bring myself to watch her beating Steffi. 5 minutes after the match was over my friend calls and he was so excited, he was yelling: "Hey, did you see that, wow it was amazing, Steffi was so good blablabla..." I couldn't believe it. The whole day people were calling me speaking about that match, and I was like "Could you just leave me alone and let me shoot myself, please?" Of course, later I got the tape of that match, but it wasn't the same.

And I'm also sorry I didn't watch the final of Wimbledon last year, but that's another story, as the tournament wasn't broadcasted on any chanel of my cable TV. :rolleyes: :banghead:

Julian
Jul 31st, 2003, 01:14 AM
For me its the 1992 French Open final!

fried_beans
Jul 31st, 2003, 02:15 AM
For me: Monica def. Hingis 98 French Open semis cause at the time Monica could hardly get games off her and then she spanked her.

ToeTag
Jul 31st, 2003, 03:49 AM
A match from 1999...the 99 Gaz de France...Amelie VS Serena...this match looked amazing.I didn't see the match but I did see highlights of it on the French news;which is shown here on TV5.The score was 2/6,6/1,6/2...for Serena, but I don't think the score was representative of the actual play.The highlights and clips of the atmosphere at the match and after it was over seemed to suggest that this match was brillant.

joaco
Jul 31st, 2003, 04:09 AM
For me ir was the 2001 US OPEN QF Lindsay vs. Serena. It's not that I forgot to watch it, but instead for SOME REASON, the tv broadcaster decided to show some men 4th uninteresting round match. And i was like: OK, now this set ends and they'll show the other match. NO! I had to follow it live scoring, knowing that Lindsay had saved 2 mp in the second set and Serena and her were playing some spectacular tennis. But then, they never even showed a summary of the match, and did not try to get it on tape because it was too painful to watch :sad:

Hawk
Jul 31st, 2003, 05:01 AM
I regret taping over that 98' French Open final :( Arantxa was my favorite at the time..but I do that all the time..I don't think I'll want to watch something again and I tape over it :rolleyes:

*immediatly runs to break all the tabs off my current taped matchs so I can't tape over them* :p

Maybe also the 01' French Open final..I went out that day cause I didn't really care who won :o Little did I know I would soon turn into a Kim fan ;)

Chance
Jul 31st, 2003, 09:27 AM
Hawk, I do that all the time -taped over the 2001 USOPEN semis.. how am I suppose to know I wasn't going to see another Serena vs Martina match or that I'll be waiting 2 years for another Vee vs Jennifer match.
:(

hingis-seles
Jul 31st, 2003, 09:34 AM
M.Seles def V.Williams AO 2002 wasn't broadcast here. :mad:

M.Seles def S.Williams LA wasn't shown anywhere. :sad:

S.Williams def M.Seles Canadian Open 2001. never broadcast.

S.Graf beat M.Hingis RG 1999. It wasn't shown LIVE. :sad:

probably a lot more...

SJW
Jul 31st, 2003, 09:45 AM
Hingis def S Williams 01 Aus Open (or so Glenn tells me)

SJW
Jul 31st, 2003, 09:49 AM
Maybe also the 01' French Open final..I went out that day cause I didn't really care who won :o Little did I know I would soon turn into a Kim fan ;)

haha Hawk! i was watching that and losing my voice....you wanna know why? cos im a REAL Kim fan :p :D ;)

Knizzle
Jul 31st, 2003, 09:59 AM
Wimby 99 quarters, Graf def Venus. I may have saw this match, but I don't remember anything from it.

hingis-seles
Jul 31st, 2003, 10:04 AM
Hingis def S Williams 01 Aus Open (or so Glenn tells me)

I remember that match. Martina was down 4-1 and I prayed and prayed like never before. It was a brilliant match and neither woman deserved to lose.............ok, Serena did. :p;)

When Martina won I was jumping and screaming!!! :bounce:.....and 20 minutes late for class. :p

tennisjam
Jul 31st, 2003, 11:06 AM
Martina vs Venus, US Open semis...Martina lost...

When Martina was leading 5-3 in the decider with that famous Venus' shot down the line on that famous smash...

...and I haven't seen it yet...

Nemesis
Jul 31st, 2003, 11:25 AM
Well, for me it is the Lindsay vs. Justine match in the AO.

I went sleeping early (the match was in the middle of then night in Belgium), because I had to go to my niece's homewarming party the other day. So I put up my alarm clock at the hour they played. And when the alarm went of, I subconsiously put it out and kept sleeping. When I woke up at 6 o' clock, I was furious!!! I put up the radio in my bedroom and heard that it was such a wonderfull tight match. They would rebroadcast it on midday, but I was at that homewarming party. I programmed the video recorder but it didn't tape it :fiery:

The other was the Wimbledon final of 2001: Justine vs. Venus. I was in France. I followed it by the international Belgium radio and only heard Venus' groaning. That was really funny: now Vee hits a ball, then Justine ... Without knowing what happens. it was funny and maybe the real moment I began to like both.

tommystar
Jul 31st, 2003, 12:12 PM
I didn't see
*the whole RG'97 exept the men's final. :( (Eurosport was taken away from us.)
*whole Wimby'99/2000 exept 80 mins daily highlights, and the singles finals live. :( (Live coverage was on expensive Premiere digital.)
*whole US 2000. I could only listen to this, I had Sky Sports that time, but coded.

These were huge shockes!

Hawk
Jul 31st, 2003, 02:52 PM
haha Hawk! i was watching that and losing my voice....you wanna know why? cos im a REAL Kim fan :p :D ;)

:lol:

:p

moon
Jul 31st, 2003, 02:58 PM
2001 AO Monica vs. Jen
I went to bed after Monica went up a set and a break, thinking she would win. I almost died the next morning.

Experimentee
Jul 31st, 2003, 03:01 PM
Venus vs Hingis 2000 Wimbledon QF

Well i did see some of the last bit but missed most of it coz they chose to show Dokic vs Serna instead :rolleyes:

hello123
Jul 31st, 2003, 03:05 PM
i missed Emilie Loit Neally Upset Serena Williams at the australian open this year serena win unfortuantly

3-6 7-6 7-5 Poo

Caz
Jul 31st, 2003, 03:34 PM
The only match I can think of is the infamous Irina Sprilea vs. Venus Williams US Open match. It was on TV, but I chose not to watch and missed the bump, the interviews, everything! :fiery:

The best matches I nearly didn't see were Vivi beating Hingis and Magui beating Pierce at Wimbledon 2001 and 2000 respectively. I still remember the discussions sitting in the Wimbledon queue, "Is it really worth paying all that money to see Vivi get killed by Hingis in 45 mins?!?" etc. Of course, in the end both years we decided that since our fave players were playing we didn't care if it was a waste of money, we were still going to go and cheer loudly for them, so at least they could go home knowing we loved them ;) Those turned out to be the most incredible memories we've ever had, and probably will ever have, at the tennis!! :D *contented sigh*

irma
Jul 31st, 2003, 03:36 PM
probably the second us open semi of 91. I heard so much about it but then I had no my own tv and there was another reason;)

irma
Jul 31st, 2003, 03:37 PM
of course serena-kim in us open 99 because dsf showed andre instead :o

Libertango
Jul 31st, 2003, 04:51 PM
A match from 1999...the 99 Gaz de France...Amelie VS Serena...this match looked amazing.I didn't see the match but I did see highlights of it on the French news;which is shown here on TV5.The score was 2/6,6/1,6/2...for Serena, but I don't think the score was representative of the actual play.The highlights and clips of the atmosphere at the match and after it was over seemed to suggest that this match was brillant.

Actually the score was much much closer (if its the match I'm thinking of), like 2-6 6-3 7-6 or something, I know it was a tiebreak final set. It was Serena's first title and I remember how happy she was to win. Amelie had just reached OZ final and had beaten Hingis and obviously had everyone behind her that week. It was a great match :)

I too never saw the RG 98 final. I'm a huge Monica fan and was praying for her to win but I was moving house the same day and have never had a chance to see that match........:(

Dava
Jul 31st, 2003, 04:55 PM
Anna K winning most of her matches.

hingis-seles
Jul 31st, 2003, 05:00 PM
1999 Open Gaz de France

Finale Dames

S.Williams def A.Mauresmo 6-2, 3-6, 7-6.

Knizzle
Jul 31st, 2003, 06:00 PM
Martina vs Venus, US Open semis...Martina lost...

When Martina was leading 5-3 in the decider with that famous Venus' shot down the line on that famous smash...

...and I haven't seen it yet...

This is a must see match. I have that part of it placed on Kazaa called "Venus Williams US Open"

Knizzle
Jul 31st, 2003, 06:02 PM
I wouldn't say these were the best matches, but I always wanted to see Serena vs. Graf in the IW final 6-3, 3-6, 7-5, and the following week at Key Biscayne SF Venus def Graf 6-2, 6-4.

ToeTag
Jul 31st, 2003, 06:17 PM
Actually the score was much much closer (if its the match I'm thinking of), like 2-6 6-3 7-6 or something, I know it was a tiebreak final set. It was Serena's first title and I remember how happy she was to win. Amelie had just reached OZ final and had beaten Hingis and obviously had everyone behind her that week. It was a great match :)

I too never saw the RG 98 final. I'm a huge Monica fan and was praying for her to win but I was moving house the same day and have never had a chance to see that match........:(
:) No wonder everyone was so excited then..lol..I remembered the match but couldn't remember the score...the score I posted was on the Gaz de France site...they might have buggered it up.

alexusjonesfan
Jul 31st, 2003, 06:51 PM
The Hingis-Kournikova wimbledon semi of 1997. At the time I heard so much about how we'd see this matchup again and again in big tournaments so I wasn't too disappointed...boy, were they wrong! :mad:

SJW
Jul 31st, 2003, 06:55 PM
I remember that match. Martina was down 4-1 and I prayed and prayed like never before. It was a brilliant match and neither woman deserved to lose.............ok, Serena did. :p;)

When Martina won I was jumping and screaming!!! :bounce:.....and 20 minutes late for class. :p

bahhhh :p

imma make glenn give me his tape. he wont mind :angel:

SJW
Jul 31st, 2003, 06:57 PM
:lol:

:angel:

Smart
Jul 31st, 2003, 07:01 PM
RG 03 semifinal Juju-Serena

hingis-seles
Jul 31st, 2003, 07:39 PM
Knizzle, I can't find it. :(

Do you know of any other video clips of matches online? I'd love to get the last 2 points of the 1999 US Open semi between Martina and Venus.

hingis-seles
Jul 31st, 2003, 07:40 PM
bahhhh :p

imma make glenn give me his tape. he wont mind :angel:

Ofcourse he won't. :angel:

Just make sure the tape has the second set included. :p

SJW
Jul 31st, 2003, 07:46 PM
im sure it does. he takes great pleasure telling me how good the whole match was :p

(i remember it was Venus/MoMo (?) first then Serena/Martina. i could only stay up and watch one, so i took the first one. then my baby lost :mad::angel: )

hingis-seles
Jul 31st, 2003, 07:51 PM
You watched Venus beat Amanda Coetzer 2-6, 6-1, 8-6.

I got up at 5 am to watch the quarters. You could tell how drained Oracene was, but she applauded Martina's winners and would also laugh at times. So cute!

tennisIlove09
Jul 31st, 2003, 07:51 PM
Recently? I'd say Rubin's victory over Serena last year in LA; Rubin's victory over Davenport in LA as well.

Monica's victory over Serena in LA in 2001

SJW
Jul 31st, 2003, 07:55 PM
You watched Venus beat Amanda Coetzer 2-6, 6-1, 8-6.

I got up at 5 am to watch the quarters. You could tell how drained Oracene was, but she applauded Martina's winners and would also laugh at times. So cute!

AMANDA! man that lil girl had me effin and cursin hard! (back in the day when i was a moronic fan....;)) i didnt enjoy that rollercoaster at all.

ok imma bully Glenn now! i love Martina so its all good ;)

hingis-seles
Jul 31st, 2003, 08:11 PM
lol!

Martina was such a beauty. :hearts:

Paneru
Jul 31st, 2003, 08:14 PM
98' Wimbledon Ladies Quaters
J.Navotna def. Venus 7-5, 7-6(7-2)

Williams Loses Cool, Match in Two
Venus Williams (pictured) lost her composure and her quarterfinal match to Jana Novotna on Wednesday, 7-5, 7-6 (7-2), spending most of her time throwing temper tantrums on the court. "I think that the crowd probably enjoyed my emotional outbursts," she said.

99' Wimbledon Ladies Quarters
S.Graf def. Venus 2-6, 6-3, 4-6

Graf edges Williams in thriller to reach semis with Davenport

By STEVE WILSTEIN -- Associated Press
WIMBLEDON, England -- They chased balls in defiance of fatigue and fading light, Steffi Graf and Venus Williams pushing each other through the most exquisite rallies seven hours after they came on court.
Showers had soaked them and sent them off three times. Finally, at 8:12 p.m., moments before the rain swept in again, Graf hopped up and down and screamed in delight when Williams' final forehand sailed wide.
The seven-time champion, who had seen these conditions many times before, had secured a 6-2, 3-6, 6-4 victory and a berth in the semis for the 10th time.
The match ended more than six hours after Lindsay Davenport had come and gone on another court, a 6-3, 6-4 victor over defending champion Jana Novotna and a Wimbledon semifinalist for the first time.
So little separated the 30-year-old Graf and the 19-year-old Williams. They tested each other with drops and lobs, dueled in exchanges that lasted 20 or 30 shots. They soared on overheads and dived desperately for volleys, neither giving an inch. They slammed hard, risky shots in the murky dusk as the packed Centre Court crowd gasped and roared.
As far as Graf could remember, she had never had a tougher match at this stage of a tournament.
"Everybody that came into the locker room was saying it was an incredible match, and that's how I see it," Graf said. "It rarely happens in the quarterfinals that you have to play that kind of tennis."

"We went through a lot more rain delays than what I've ever dreamed of," said Williams, who is still seeking her first Grand Slam title. "Everything is an experience."
Rain delayed play an hour at the start. After dropping the first set, Williams broke Graf for the first time to 3-2 in the second when a fine, but persistent shower led to a delay of more than an hour. Williams didn't let that stoppage halt her momentum, and she proceeded to break Graf's next two service games to even the match.
"She came out and played unbelievable tennis and served incredible," Graf said. "She played very deep and there was little I could do."
But after Williams won the first game of the final set, the rain returned and sent the players to the locker room for 90 minutes. They came back for three games, the set on serve, then went off again for more than two and a half hours until 7:41 p.m.
When they returned, this time in the gloomy, gray twilight, Graf broke Williams' first service game after some brilliant rallies and took a 3-2 lead she never relinquished.
Graf passed the time in the locker room playing cards, reading, talking to players, "just being a little bored," she said. She couldn't quite believe that Williams was watching replays of their match.
"Why would you want to look at the replay of the match, because the match is not finished yet?" Graf said. "She was trying to study. I felt very awkward that the match was on (TV). I was trying not to watch it, and I didn't."

I think it was Mary Carillo who said these were the matches of the ladies tournaments and would've been even better if they had been finals! I didn't see the one against Jana and only saw of couple of minutes at the end with Steffi. From all reports you could tell Venus was destined for greatness at The Championships Wimbledon!

For those who say it, what were some of the key points Venus could've taken advantage of to have won both of these matches?

I wish there was a DVD or something off the matches of Venus in the early years!

E. Blackadder
Jul 31st, 2003, 08:20 PM
Kim vs Amelie US OPEN '02

I heard that was very good quality

Hawk
Jul 31st, 2003, 08:28 PM
Kim vs Amelie US OPEN '02

I heard that was very good quality

Oh yeah..that did sound like a good match..I think it was the start of Kim's turn around that year.

hingis-seles
Jul 31st, 2003, 08:30 PM
"I know it's out, you know it's out, she knows it's out, everybody knows it's out."-Venus Williams against Novotna in 1998 at the Championships.

:lol: :haha:

monicain
Aug 1st, 2003, 06:01 AM
I do remember that Venus emotional burst. Did she also bursted into tears?
For me:
Wimbledon 2000, QF Hingis v Venus
US Open 1999, SF Hingis v Venus
It was rain delayed and re-appeared at 5 mins to 5 am and then the TV cut the programme off [after 2 games! :fiery: :fiery: ] for Aerobic Dance!! :fiery: :fiery: :fiery: ,I was picking up a phone and @#$%^$#@ the cable but it didn't change a thing.
Charleston 2003, F Henin v Serena

And I'm so sad that I have taped the RG 03 F rather than SF...