PDA

View Full Version : Seles Withdraws From Toronto With Foot Injury

CapFan#1
Jul 30th, 2003, 09:50 PM
Seles Withdraws From Toronto With Foot Injury

Photo By Art Seitz By Adrianna Outlaw
07/31/2003

Monica Seles' right foot injury has forced her to step out of the Rogers AT&T Cup, which begins on August 9th at the National Tennis Centre in Toronto. The four-time Canadian champion has been hobbled by a painful injury to the sesamoid bone in her right foot.

The 12th-seeded Seles limped out of the French Open in a 6-4, 6-0 loss to Nadia Petrova last month. It was the first time in her storied career that Seles suffered a first-round loss in a Grand Slam. She has not played a match since and her status for the U.S. Open, which starts on August 25th, is now in doubt.

The injury — which also forced Seles to pull out of Indian Wells, Miami, Charleston and the Fed Cup quarterfinals — severely slowed Seles' mobility in matches this season. In an interview in May, Seles said either extensive rest or surgery are the only options to alleviate the injury.

"It would take at least six to nine months to cure this. (Anna) Kournikova had it and she had to have surgery," Seles said. "It's one of those problems that's pretty serious. I just don't feel at this stage in my career I want to have surgery and be off nine months and come back to the world of tennis. If it can get better, I'll take a little bit more time off. If it's not, then I have to make a decision to stop."

Not looking good fore Monica to play US Open. Hope she feels better, but I think retirement is probably near. Major bummer :sad: :sad:

Mase
Jul 30th, 2003, 09:51 PM
:sad: :sad:

Im afraid so too.........

We :hearts: you Monica!!!

bandabou
Jul 30th, 2003, 09:55 PM
Looking like the end of the road for the great Monica Seles.

selesfan87
Jul 30th, 2003, 10:00 PM
Looking like the end of the road for the great Monica Seles.
Don't lose faith in Monica. Anything can happen!

TatiAnnahølic
Jul 30th, 2003, 10:00 PM
Monica :sad: :sad:

"Topaz"
Jul 30th, 2003, 10:06 PM
With so many people withdrawing from the Toronto event, I feel like asking for tickets refund. My reason for withdrawal would be ass injury. :o
Hey, if I can't sit, give me my money back!

BTW, I'm really sorry for these girls. Can't be fun at all!

oggie
Jul 30th, 2003, 10:06 PM
So sad. This was probably my last chance to see Monica and now it is gone.

jbone_0307
Jul 30th, 2003, 10:08 PM
I think Monica just needs to call it quits. Shes no longer healthy and her prime was in 88-93. Shes no longer a major contender for the grand slams. She wasted her last chance which was 2001 at the Aus Open and should have beaten Hingis. Good Luck to you seles with your life off the court and hopefully you will get your teaching degree and become a teacher. :) :)

joaco
Jul 30th, 2003, 10:08 PM
:sad: :sad: :sad: FFUUUUCKKKK!!!!!!!!!!! Get well soon Monica, please!!

Venus Forever
Jul 30th, 2003, 10:09 PM
I'm feel that this will be the last year for Monica. I don't know how she continues. :sad: :sad:

CondiLicious
Jul 30th, 2003, 10:11 PM
It sucks. :sad:

AjdeNate!
Jul 30th, 2003, 10:24 PM
:sad:

Dawn Marie
Jul 30th, 2003, 10:32 PM
Yeah it looks like she will retire. Her statements alone tell us that if her foot does not heal that she will not have surgery thus she'll have to retire.

What I don't get is she is not playing at the moment so why couldn't she just have had the surgery in June then come back in Februrary?

Jarrett
Jul 30th, 2003, 10:39 PM
Those quotes are old. I think she just withdrew because she is just not where she wants to be right now. She is just trying the rest method. I am not really surprised at all.

tyk101
Jul 30th, 2003, 10:56 PM
i thought these quotes were from FO, anyway, didn't she have a subsequent MRI which showed it was gettin better a few weeks ago??

.... realistically, if she were to retire, she would have told us by now... so her foot must be getting better?? Hoep so anyway

come on MONICA.. get well soon

anshu19
Jul 30th, 2003, 11:06 PM
Monica Seles withdraws from Rogers AT&T Cup tournament

July 30, 2003

TORONTO (AP) -- Monica Seles withdrew from next month's Rogers AT&T Cup tennis tournament Wednesday because of a left foot injury.

``We are disappointed that Monica's injury will prevent her from competing,'' tournament director Stacey Allaster said. ``She has always enjoyed competing in Canada. We wish her the very best in her recovery from injury.''

Top-ranked Serena Williams withdrew two weeks ago, citing a scheduling conflict. The tournament is scheduled for Aug. 11-17.

Seles has been out of action since a first-round appearance at the French Open. She always has been a sentimental favorite in Canada, where she launched her comeback in 1995 following more than two years away from tennis after she was stabbed by a deranged fan.

No. 2 Kim Clijsters of Belgium will be the highest-ranked player in the tournament. Forty-one of the top 50 players in the world have confirmed they will play, including Clijsters, Venus Williams, Justine Henin-Hardenne, defending champion Amelie Mauresmo of France and 46-year-old Martina Navratilova.

Seles_Beckham
Jul 30th, 2003, 11:48 PM
:sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:

Cybelle Darkholme
Jul 31st, 2003, 12:25 AM
monica sure does withdraw from a lot of tournaments with injuries.

Vegetable
Jul 31st, 2003, 12:39 AM
Probably because she's, you know, injured and can't play...

Not very suprising news but hopefully she's resting it up for the end of the summer

Bероника
Jul 31st, 2003, 12:44 AM
:sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:

Dawn Marie
Jul 31st, 2003, 01:45 AM
Cybel, she is really faking because she doesn't want to face Kim Clijsters.

Rotflmao!!

Crazy Canuck
Jul 31st, 2003, 03:36 AM
Gee, didn't take too long for the idiots to pollute this thread with their drivel.

It's a shame that Toronto is losing another big draw...

CoryAnnAvants#1
Jul 31st, 2003, 04:09 AM
Monica needs to take the six months off and rest her foot if she doesn't want surgery (May 2003-November 2003), start training in December and do a farewell tour next year when she is HEALTHY and ready and raring to go and kick some ass so she can end her career on a positive note.

Lynn
Jul 31st, 2003, 05:57 AM
One report says her left foot and another report says it's her right foot.

Nice to know these journalists get their facts straight (sarcasm).

hingis-seles
Jul 31st, 2003, 09:13 AM
monica sure does withdraw from a lot of tournaments with injuries.

You sure do post a lot of bullsh*t . Too bad you don't have any excuses.

Cybelle Darkholme
Jul 31st, 2003, 02:03 PM
You sure do post a lot of bullsh*t . Too bad you don't have any excuses.

I guess you have an excuse for your own bullshit? Riiiiiiight.

selesrules
Jul 31st, 2003, 02:15 PM
Get well soon Monica! I think it would be better to take the rest of the year off, and then comeback next year when you have almost 0 points to defend at the slams and where you can accumulate so many points every tournament. She will soar back into the top 10 or top 5. But I hope the injury will heal ONCE AND FOR ALL. :(

bwguy
Jul 31st, 2003, 02:22 PM
I sure wish Monica herself would say something about her injury and prospects for the rest of the year. Originally, this was reported as a stress "reaction", I believe. But in the July 19 Baltimore Sun there was this: But this (Fed Cup) team changed two weeks ago, when Williams re-injured abdominal muscles at Wimbledon and Seles developed a stress fracture in her already tender foot last week during a practice session.

If accurate, that would be a more serious condition than the stress reaction.

Source: http://www.sunspot.net/sports/tennis/bal-sp.fedcup19jul19,0,2192746.story?coll=bal-sports-tennis

rfs1999
Jul 31st, 2003, 03:30 PM
Oh, no.

CondiLicious
Jul 31st, 2003, 03:41 PM
I sure wish Monica herself would say something about her injury and prospects for the rest of the year.

Oh Monica won't say anything. She's always been one to be mysterious about injuries. She said at the FO what was wrong and for her that's it... She doesn't owe anyone any further explanation. Which is true. It's her life and her injury. We'll all have to wait and see... That's why she's a diva.

bwguy
Jul 31st, 2003, 03:56 PM
Oh Monica won't say anything. She's always been one to be mysterious about injuries. She said at the FO what was wrong and for her that's it... She doesn't owe anyone any further explanation. Which is true. It's her life and her injury. We'll all have to wait and see... That's why she's a diva.

My point was that apparently the condition has worsened since the French (if the Baltimore Sun article is accurate) and that is why I wished we'd hear more. As a long-time Monica follower, I'm well aware of her reluctance to say much about her injuries.

Kart
Aug 3rd, 2003, 01:43 PM
Sad news :sad:.

Get well soon Monica :hearts:.

Jakub
Aug 3rd, 2003, 06:53 PM
:sad::sad::sad:

Whatzup
Aug 3rd, 2003, 06:57 PM
:sad: Get well soon Monica!

starr
Aug 3rd, 2003, 07:00 PM
I wonder if Monica will just wait til the end of the year and then announce her retirement.

She has been a great champion and a great ambassador for the sport. Her spirit and graciousness will be missed.

AjdeNate!
Aug 3rd, 2003, 07:10 PM
She's not gonna go out like this... expect "one last push". She said it herself.

Car Key Boi
Aug 3rd, 2003, 07:15 PM
Gee, didn't take too long for the idiots to pollute this thread with their drivel.

agreed. All those useless posts with no content except a ton of :sad: :sad: :sad: pisses me off no end :mad:
- Car Key Boi :fiery: