PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone lose to their younger sibling?

tyk101
Jul 30th, 2003, 09:49 PM
I've lost literally every match (except one) to my younger brother, I knwo it's mental, so how can I get some wins??

My last lost 7-6 6-3

I've got the shots, but i can't string it all together to win a set, let alone a match. HELP

sartrista7
Jul 30th, 2003, 09:56 PM
Played my little sis once. Won 6-0 6-0. She's even worse than me. Loved it :devil:

greg˛
Jul 30th, 2003, 10:18 PM
I've lost literally every match (except one) to my younger brother, I knwo it's mental, so how can I get some wins??

My last lost 7-6 6-3

I've got the shots, but i can't string it all together to win a set, let alone a match. HELP

don't talk!! When I'm playing my best friend I always lose (he is a C30/4 I was a B-player)
Keep focused and don't exagerate in your shots.

tyk101
Jul 30th, 2003, 10:59 PM
thanks for the tips.. but i know its mental, i seem to give up and surrender to the fact he's gonna win, so I lose kind fo purposefully...?!

joaco
Jul 30th, 2003, 11:20 PM
no.

but listen to me, it also happened to me against a friend. I kept on losing against him, always got close but never won. Made stupid errors that i did not make against others. Until I won my first set 6-4 and then the match.

My tips are:
1) Stay Calm. Don't get too anxious.
2) Don't think in your opponent, but think in yourself. Your shots, your plays, etc.
3) Believe that you can win, and you will. And from then onwards, I bet you'll be the winner of the match most of the times.

If this does not work, maybe try to switch surfaces into one that suits you the best. For example, I know for sure, that if I play my friend in hardcourt he will stand no chance. Now we always play in clay, so it is easier for him, but it is best for me in fast courts.

Hope I was helpful,

Joaco

Bezz
Jul 30th, 2003, 11:25 PM
I know what yu are going through, i hate playing my firend, the matches are always close but they always manage to win. I remember losing onetime 7-5 7-6 7-6- i was soo pissed, and i lose some sets 6-4, and that normally when i serve to stay in it. I did win our last match 6-3 3-6 6-3, after i lost the 2nd i thought "here we go again", but i held on. What i try and do is hit a mixture of hard flat groundies but also sometimes just try and rally and make them make a mistake. When this happens ppl watching probably think i only just picked up a racket cos it looks really pants. What yu gotta think is that your bro will be trying so hard not to lose to yu, if yu just put him under a bit of pressure, like rushing the net or going for a shot (and making it), it makes it hard for him cos he is out of his comfort zone, and it may make him go for more and miss or give you a chance to smash some shots away. I just keep telling my self if i can win 6 games or even a set of then why cant i win a match?

Goodluck :wavey:

tyk101
Jul 30th, 2003, 11:50 PM
thanks

the last few matches:

7-6 6-3
6-3 6-4 6-4
6-0 6-4 7-5

I always seem to let a break slip and then i'm not focussed in breaking back!

I try to come into the net more, even though I dun have clue at the net, sometimes I hit some pretty good volleys, other times, utter shittness... but it does put him off.

I've tried to go to his bh which is the weaker side, but nothin seems to pay off... I'm so pissed I can't beat him!

tyk101
Jul 30th, 2003, 11:52 PM
but i've got to note, he's got a bit more power in his game and a lot better serve, but I feel my game has improved and at my best I know I should beat him... most of the games go to deuce, but i cant' captialise....>.<

controlfreak
Jul 30th, 2003, 11:56 PM
I have a friend who always beats me 6-1 6-0 or similar. I think I have the better shots but he is Mr Consistency.

Recently I adopted two new tactics: relax to the max; and stop double faulting (the df is my signature shot ;) )

The results speak for themselves: some 6-2 defeats and even a 7-5 :D Who knows what might happen next time?

*JR*
Jul 31st, 2003, 12:17 AM
Besides Venus vs. Serena lately, name a case of 2 sisters in the ITF where the younger one (now in the WTA) basically always won. Clue: they're Europeans.