PDA

View Full Version : The US Open looking bad...

tennisIlove09
Jul 30th, 2003, 08:20 PM
...Serena's injured; Venus is injured; Jennie's injured.

Eh. I hope they get better, or the Open will be boring

Hendouble
Jul 30th, 2003, 08:26 PM
Maybe, although conversely it would also be interesting to see how the New York crowd handled an event that was devoid of nearly all the top Americans. If those three were to pull out, I could imagine Davenport fairly chuckling with glee... actually, she's not that sort of person. But she'd be fairly happy anyhow.

CapFan#1
Jul 30th, 2003, 08:31 PM
Actually, Davenport's appearance at the USO is in jeopordy also, wiht her food injury. And Monica is probably out as well..... WHAT A FUCKING DISASTER THAT WOULD BE! It would be a Belgian fest... YIKES.

I honestly think that Jenny and Vee will both be fully healed by then for sure. Don't know about Rena, sounds serious, this knee injury. Davey is a big ? mark--- depends how the shots hold up. Monica, sadly, probably wont be able to play, or will play and lose to a "Petrova" like at the FO due to her injury. HOPE EVERYONE GETS WELL SOON AND CAN COMPETE AT MY FAVE GRAND SLAM, THE US OPEN!!!

fleemke³
Jul 30th, 2003, 08:31 PM
I hope all of them are ok before the USOpen ... guarentees even more great matches!

bandabou
Jul 30th, 2003, 08:34 PM
Both Venus and Serena will be there. No doubt about that.

mn73
Jul 30th, 2003, 08:34 PM
Lindsay has a FOOD injury - not again, I thought those days were behind her!!! :)

Hendouble
Jul 30th, 2003, 08:36 PM
My word, what a thought - imagine every single one of the American Big Five having to pull out through injury! The imagination reels with the possibilities... but that's all they are, sadly.

harloo
Jul 30th, 2003, 08:37 PM
...Serena's injured; Venus is injured; Jennie's injured.

Eh. I hope they get better, or the Open will be boring

Well that means Kim will get her first slam. I think Vee will be ok, don't know about Rena and Jen though.

CapFan#1
Jul 30th, 2003, 08:43 PM
Lindsay has a FOOD injury - not again, I thought those days were behind her!!! :)

I know, I know. I saw my TYPO after the fact, and just died of laughter :haha: What can I say, I am not the world's best typist! :smash: For the record, I really like Davey, and think she has done a great job shedding her baby fat in getting in fantastic shape. I hope that FOOT injury clears up so we can see her play for a couple of more years!!

Mark, do you have any news about Jenny's injury?? How serious, expected recovery, etc.... Take Care!!!

jrm
Jul 30th, 2003, 08:44 PM
and they will still be in QF at least ...

JLDementieva
Jul 30th, 2003, 08:47 PM
I actually think it'll be interesting to see who will come through and win their first slam, but I still think Serena, Venus, Lindsay, and Jenny are all main contenders!

Filip!
Jul 30th, 2003, 08:48 PM
I would like to see every topplayer there! It's much nicer to see them all compete...

ys
Jul 30th, 2003, 08:49 PM
And last but not least, Anna is out too. 5 most popular players in USA - Williamses, Capriati, Seles and Kournikova are all injured..

greg²
Jul 30th, 2003, 08:53 PM
hmmm. I don't think Venus' injury will keep her away from the US-open. She wasn't the full 100 percent at Wimbledon and still played there. The problem is that she forced herself to play the final. That disturbs the preparation of the US-Open :o

Serena: no idea. Don't think she 'll be happy to give a 1000 WTA-points advantage away to Kim Clijsters. :devil:

Davenport: she 's married, the injury, the signs after saying 'this could be my last wimbledon' :sad:

Seles: doesn't want to undergo operation at her age. She wants to play for fun, not with pain.

MY opinion: Davenport's en Seles' retirement are very nearby

Tennisace
Jul 30th, 2003, 10:27 PM
I don't know why, but I really think that Lindsay will retire after this year.

bandabou
Jul 30th, 2003, 10:33 PM
I don't know why, but I really think that Lindsay will retire after this year.

I have the same thoughts too! I think it´s clear that even with full health there at least three players much, much better than Lindsay and that her chances of winning another slam are close to nihil. I don´t think she would be able to play knowing that.

maccardel
Jul 30th, 2003, 10:40 PM
I could see Justine, Amelie and Kim in the final. Maybe Chanda would win finally since the only time she seems to lose is to a williams at a slam.

bandabou
Jul 30th, 2003, 10:43 PM
I could see Justine, Amelie and Kim in the final. Maybe Chanda would win finally since the only time she seems to lose is to a williams at a slam.

Easy, easy the top 5 didn´t retire yet!

Malin
Jul 30th, 2003, 10:47 PM
Man all these Belgium Sister's fans are licking there lips at the possibilty that venus, serena, jen, and lindsay mught not be healthy enough to play. I think you guys are hoping and praying more than anything, because i'm sure all 4 americans will be there. And if the draw turns out right they will all be in the SF's!!!

bandabou
Jul 30th, 2003, 10:51 PM
Man all these Belgium Sister's fans are licking there lips at the possibilty that venus, serena, jen, and lindsay mught not be healthy enough to play. I think you guys are hoping and praying more than anything, because i'm sure all 4 americans will be there. And if the draw turns out right they will all be in the SF's!!!

Uhum, ´cause it was a shame that there were two all-american qtrs at Wimby, while the Belgians had to battle players like Farina-Elia and Kutsnesova.

Lisbeth
Jul 31st, 2003, 12:21 AM
I'm very worried about Monica and Lindsay but am positive that Serena and Jennifer will play. I think they are protecting relatively minor injuries to make sure they can play at the US Open (probably smart). Venus will probably play but I am worried she will either not be 100% or be completely unpractised.

Lisbeth
Jul 31st, 2003, 12:23 AM

By far the majority of Kim and Juju fans want everyone to play - we just want Kim and Justine to beat them (ideally in rivetting matches)!

fammmmedspin
Jul 31st, 2003, 01:21 AM
With half of the top 10 ill and others in slumps its a wonder the 2 Martina's are not jumping for wild cards......

Kirt12255
Jul 31st, 2003, 03:06 AM
:wavey: I hope they all make it....a slam isn't a slam without all the great players there.

I guess on the positive side....Molik might get a kick on and reach a 4th round LOL.

If all those players were to not play I would hate to see Kim win the slam...everyone would be like "She only won because everyone was injured"...and she deserves more respect than that. IMO :wavey:

Ted of Teds Tennis
Jul 31st, 2003, 03:43 AM
Fammmedspin wrote:
With half of the top 10 ill and others in slumps its a wonder the 2 Martina's are not jumping for wild cards......

Why would the organizers give WCs to Martina Müller and Martina Suchá? :confused: :D

Hawk
Jul 31st, 2003, 04:04 AM
Does anyone know about Mauresmo? Is she still hurt or what? :confused:

Fingon
Jul 31st, 2003, 05:48 AM

Kim could certainly win it, but I don't think Elke was ever considered a contender

Fingon
Jul 31st, 2003, 05:51 AM

I could see Justine and Amelie, or Justine and Kim, or Justine and Chanda, or Kim and Amelie, or Kim and Chanda, or Amelie and Chanda, but not all the four

SM
Jul 31st, 2003, 05:56 AM
jelena ;) or some other darkhorse hopefully will take advantage and make things interesting!

Chance
Jul 31st, 2003, 09:09 AM
My word, what a thought - imagine every single one of the American Big Five having to pull out through injury! The imagination reels with the possibilities... but that's all they are, sadly.

So you wish the injuries of the top Americans are serious enough for them not to compete in the USOPEN, in order to give your crappy favs a better chance to win a slam. :rolleyes:

gentenaire
Jul 31st, 2003, 09:20 AM
Two Belgian fans:

I hope all of them are ok before the USOpen ... guarentees even more great matches!

I would like to see every topplayer there! It's much nicer to see them all compete...

and someone who obviously doesn't understand English:

fifiricci
Jul 31st, 2003, 09:38 AM
So you wish the injuries of the top Americans are serious enough for them not to compete in the USOPEN, in order to give your crappy favs a better chance to win a slam. :rolleyes:

Oh god, here we go again with the nationalism crap!! Cool down and STOP BEING SO DEFENSIVE!!!!!

The Crow
Jul 31st, 2003, 09:44 AM
Would be a shame, but I don't think it will come to this. And I want A Vee-Justine final damnit, so Venus better be there!

Hendouble
Jul 31st, 2003, 05:46 PM
Yes, I should like to clarify that I am not wishing for all the Americans to be injured. I'll admit, Seles and Davenport in particular look doubtful at the moment, but I'll bet both Williamses and Capriati turn up. It's not even a possibility that all of those five would miss the Open, it's a far-fetched dream. And sadly, while I know that my "crappy" faves have far more chance of winning without that lot in the draw, I also know that the eventual champion in such a field would be looked on with even more disdain than Johansson was for winning the AO last year.