PDA

View Full Version : Henin-Hardenne tramples nemesis Daniilidou

Glenn
Jul 30th, 2003, 11:33 AM
Henin cruises in San Diego

Third seed Justine Henin-Hardenne showed the form that won her the 2003 French Open title when she destroyed Greece's Eleni Daniilidou 6-1 6-1 in the second round in San Diego on Tuesday. It was her first WTA Tour match since she lost to world number one Serena Williams in the Wimbledon semi-finals on July 3.

WTA SAN DIEGO: Draw & results
Henin: 'How to win Roland Garros'

The Belgian was too strong for Daniilidou, 21, who won their only previous meeting, in the Netherlands on grass last year.

"I'm a completely different player now," Henin-Hardenne told reporters. "I gave up seven match points there and, at that time, I wasn't in good mental shape.

"Tonight I played aggressive when I needed to and I was patient when I had to be. I served well and pushed her into mistakes."

Planning an assault on her first U.S. Open crown, the Belgian is attempting to add a formidable net attack to her hardcourt arsenal.

"I'll probably have to lose some matches but I know I have to come into the net if I am going to raise my game up to a new level," Henin-Hardenne said.

Travelling for the first time in her career without her coach, Carlos Rodriguez, who is at home awaiting the birth of his child, Henin-Hardenne was unsure how she would respond.

"It was a special situation because he's always been there for me," she said. "I didn't know if I would be there 100 percent so it was a good experience for me.

"It's only me out there and I have to learn how to deal with it."

BasicTennis
Jul 30th, 2003, 11:39 AM
Serena should be scared already.:devil:

per4ever
Jul 30th, 2003, 11:42 AM
Justine is used to look often to her coach to get support. If she manages to have a good run at this tournament, she'll be even more stronger mentally :)

BasicTennis
Jul 30th, 2003, 11:43 AM
Justine is used to look often to her coach to get support. If she manages to have a good run at this tournament, she'll be even more stronger mentally :)
if this happens, then it's about time she gets rid off her coach.:D

bwguy
Jul 30th, 2003, 11:48 AM
I'm neutral about Justine in terms of being a favorite of mine, but very impressed by how much she embraces the challenge of seeing how good she can become. That business about adding more of a net presence is encouraging in this day when it seems many in the top 10 are satisfied with the same old same old. Sure, she may experience some setbacks and may even end up deciding it was a failed experiment to deepen her game in that manner, but she seems willing to take that risk. Gutsy.

BasicTennis
Jul 30th, 2003, 11:50 AM
all players should be like Justine, so we'll see more great matches on the WTA tour.:angel:

hope to see the results soon. :devil:

The Crow
Jul 30th, 2003, 11:55 AM
Good thing she has to do this tourney without her coach for once. She still relies too much on him (during the matches).

Juju_La_Terreure
Jul 30th, 2003, 12:09 PM
Good thing she has to do this tourney without her coach for once. She still relies too much on him (during the matches).

The fact that she relies to him, is also because carlos is like a second father for her. Carlos is family in Justine's eyes.
And he is a good coach too. :)

tenn_ace
Jul 30th, 2003, 12:19 PM
go girl! :bounce:

Beat
Jul 30th, 2003, 12:25 PM
winning one match = nemesis? :scratch:

The Crow
Jul 30th, 2003, 12:27 PM
Oh I'm not saying he's a bad coach. I actually think he's a great coach. But I would like it if Justine doesn't need him during matches.

Glenn
Jul 30th, 2003, 12:29 PM
winning one match = nemesis? :scratch:
She had 7 matchpoints in that match, she wasted all of them with errors, then afterwards she was really sad and dissapointed in herself and said that she shouldn't have lost this match and wanted revenge.

Glenn
Jul 30th, 2003, 12:32 PM
I think Justine wants to prove herself to Rodriguez even more now.
Justine is a girl that relies on her coach very much, and she loves him like a father, this is why she can not wait until she can call him with the news that she won 6-1 6-1 and make him proud.
She wants to show him she's a real fighter and that's why she'll try even harder to win in my opinion.
What Carlos thinks is really important to her, I found this out in the match against Pennetta at Wimbledon, Justine wasn't being very aggressive in the first set, Carlos was making signals that she should play aggressive and you saw Justine looking at him and pumping her fist like saying: comon Justine, do what he says...

fried_beans
Jul 30th, 2003, 12:44 PM
Who said she can't play on hard court? Look at all the great wins shes had on it already this year!

Glenn
Jul 30th, 2003, 12:50 PM
Who said she can't play on hard court? Look at all the great wins shes had on it already this year!
Thank you Simon! :)

Glenn
Jul 30th, 2003, 12:52 PM
She beat Davenport, Myskina, Capriati, Seles and now Daniilidou on it. :)

fleemke³
Jul 30th, 2003, 01:06 PM

Oh :D there are indeed some people who can see it :D :)

Great match it seems Justine :) keep up the good form!

MartinaI
Jul 30th, 2003, 02:49 PM
Go Juju! It was a fab match she played, and am more impressed with it knowing that she was without Carlos! Keep it going Justine, I think she feels she has something to prove, that is always great incentive. Nice to hear her talking about improving too.