PDA

View Full Version : This is so Goddamned annoying! All of you get in here NOW!!!

hingis-seles
Jul 30th, 2003, 11:26 AM
Ok, I'll just cut to the chase. It seems many posters on this board do not know the difference between loose and lose. They are two different words. The one you are trying to use is lose, with a SINGLE "O".

L O S E.

That's it. One "O", not two.

Repeat after me:

L

O

S

E

One "O" not two.

L-O-S-E.

That's it! Congratulations! You can now spell lose/loser, etc. Atleast, I hope so!

You may take a bow!

P.S: I know this is Hurley's job, but he wasn't doing a good enough job. :p

gentenaire
Jul 30th, 2003, 11:29 AM
You're such a haater! ;)

Hulet
Jul 30th, 2003, 11:33 AM
Ok, I'll just cut to the chase. It seems many posters on this board do not know the difference between loose and lose. They are two different words. The one you are trying to use is lose, with a SINGLE "O".

L O S E.

That's it. One "O", not two.

Repeat after me:

L

O

S

E

One "O" not two.

L-O-S-E.

That's it! Congratulations! You can now spell lose/loser, etc. Atleast, I hope so!

You may take a bow!

P.S: I know this is Hurley's job, but he wasn't doing a good enough job. :p

Repeat after me:
I am a P_E_D_A_N_T and I like to kiss peoples asses. Today, it's Hurley's turn.

Somebody move this to non-tennis.

Juju_La_Terreure
Jul 30th, 2003, 11:34 AM
somebody is frustrated
:rolleyes:
be good and forgive these people.
Not everybody comes from an english-speaking country.
The most important thing is that we understand eachother.

Dava
Jul 30th, 2003, 11:34 AM
I have to say this is something I am forever doing, I think if we had a spelling test I would loose it.

hingis-seles
Jul 30th, 2003, 11:37 AM
Repeat after me:
I am a P_E_D_A_N_T and I like to kiss peoples asses. Today, it's Hurley's turn.

Somebody this to non-tennis.

My stalker has returned! eta piss, you're obsession with me is quite disturbing.

Hulet
Jul 30th, 2003, 11:37 AM
Exactly.

hingis-seles
Jul 30th, 2003, 11:38 AM
somebody is frustrated

I'm not from an English-speaking country. However, I should add that most of the posters who make this mistake are Americans.

Andy_
Jul 30th, 2003, 11:39 AM
Looks like you could be able to lose yourself, should you be let on the loose.

See how I can use the two words in a same sentence I made up just for you, hingis-seles... I must be really good... :p and I'm not even a native English speaker...

Anyway: you're right! :worship:

irma
Jul 30th, 2003, 11:39 AM
I slept bad last night, worked this morning. I am tired so don't expect me to spell well;)

Hulet
Jul 30th, 2003, 11:41 AM
My stalker has returned! eta piss, you're obsession with me is quite disturbing.
How am I your stalker? I replied to two (including this one) of your not so great threads. I never insulted you by calling you names unlike what you are doing now. I just want you to have your own opinion and not someone's borrowed comments. That's all. And, have a great day.

Tell me, didn't the title of your thread invite everyone to get in and reply? I didn't know it excluded me from "all"?

hingis-seles
Jul 30th, 2003, 11:41 AM
Irma, you're an exception. :kiss:

Chance
Jul 30th, 2003, 11:42 AM
lol I won't be winning a spelling competition anytime soon, but the misspelling of lose can get be quite annoying considering when it's done by people living in English speaking countries- making the same mistake over and over again.

irma
Jul 30th, 2003, 11:45 AM
Irma, you're an exception. :kiss:

hingis-seles
Jul 30th, 2003, 11:47 AM
How am I your stalker? I replied to two (including this one) of your not so great threads. I never insulted you by calling you names unlike what you are doing now. I just want you to have your own opinion and not someone's borrowed comments. That's all. And, have a great day.

Tell me, didn't the title of your thread invite everyone to get in and reply? I didn't know it excluded me from "all"?

I'm quite an opinionated person and I don't need to borrow people's comments and opinions. Don't even get me started on posters spelling piece as peice. A typo is one thing, but these are repeated mistakes.

Yes, my thread invited everyone, including you, however it seems to me, that you don't care what I post as long as my username is next to it, you'll start off with your rants. The thread I posted yesterday was speculation as to why certain posters behave the way they do and this thread is trying to let posters know how to spell a word properly.

Doris Loeffel
Jul 30th, 2003, 11:48 AM
All I say is...

... Doppelt genäht hält besser ;)

hingis-seles
Jul 30th, 2003, 11:49 AM
All I say is...

... Doppelt genäht hält besser ;)

Je ne suis pas. :p

GoDominique
Jul 30th, 2003, 11:52 AM
OK, but can anyone give a reasonable explanation why you pronounce "lose" as if it was written "loose" ?

BasicTennis
Jul 30th, 2003, 11:53 AM
if the author of this thread is intelligent, he/she/it would know that this isn't the appropriate forum for this bullshit thread.:yawn:

irma
Jul 30th, 2003, 11:55 AM
yeah same with life and live
I live around the corner
it's a live match
it's my life

such things made why I sucked in english in school;)

hingis-seles
Jul 30th, 2003, 11:55 AM
if the author of this thread is intelligent, he/she/it would know that this isn't the appropriate forum for this bullshit thread.:yawn:

The author of this thread never claimed to be intelligent or some genius, even though he thinks he is.

:yawn: at your bullshit replies.

Doris Loeffel
Jul 30th, 2003, 11:59 AM
Je ne suis pas. :p

And what exactly would you like to say by this??

Je ne suis pas = I am not....

Je ne sais pas = I don't know

isn't it funny that a single letter can change a whole sentence - but I guess it was just a typo.... ;)

Hulet
Jul 30th, 2003, 12:01 PM
I'm quite an opinionated person and I don't need to borrow people's comments and opinions. Don't even get me started on posters spelling piece as peice. A typo is one thing, but these are repeated mistakes.

Yes, my thread invited everyone, including you, however it seems to me, that you don't care what I post as long as my username is next to it, you'll start off with your rants. The thread I posted yesterday was speculation as to why certain posters behave the way they do and this thread is trying to let posters know how to spell a word properly.
Okay, my last post in this thread....
I am sorry, you might be a very opinionated person, but the two threads I remember from you are this and the one from yesterday. Those two threads seem very petty to me: one idolizes a certain poster and another borrows a comment from another poster. Not only that, but you seem inclined to start threads that really piss me off. This one did so because people who constantly check spellings on a message board (a tennis message board, mind you) really irritate me. As one poster wrote above me, what is the point of spelling as long as you can understand the meaning of the comment? I just don't get it. Are you here to read master-pieces in English literature or comments on tennis? If the former, then you are in the wrong forum, and, if it's the latter, then spelling is not the most important thing as long as you get a gist of a message.
Btw, I notice people pull the spelling-card when they want to ridicule somebody's comments (no matter how logical the comment is) without responding to what he/she is saying. It isn't that different from the smilies you were complaining about yesterday.
Anyways, take care.

tennisjam
Jul 30th, 2003, 12:04 PM
I made this mistake once while calling Steffi a "Lucky Looser"...

Still, everybody understood... ;)

...some posters corrected me saying that she is a "Loser" not a "Looser"... :p

I am always willing to improve my English, anyway... :angel:

BasicTennis
Jul 30th, 2003, 12:05 PM
The author of this thread never claimed to be intelligent or some genius, even though he thinks he is.

:yawn: at your bullshit replies.
you pretend to be intelligent but you're not. :lol:

hingis-seles
Jul 30th, 2003, 12:06 PM
Okay, my last post in this thread....
I am sorry, you might be a very opinionated person, but the two threads I remember from you are this and the one from yesterday. Those two threads seem very petty to me: one idolizes a certain poster and another borrows a comment from another poster. Not only that, but you seem inclined to start threads that really piss me off. This one did so because people who constantly check spellings on a message board (a tennis message board, mind you) really irritate me. As one poster wrote above me, what is the point of spelling as long as you can understand the meaning of the comment? I just don't get it. Are you here to read master-pieces in English literature or comments on tennis? If the former, then you are in the wrong forum, and, if it's the latter, then spelling is not the most important thing as long as you get a gist of a message.
Btw, I notice people pull the spelling-card when they want to ridicule somebody's comments (no matter how logical your comment is) without responding to what he/she are saying. It isn't that different from the smilies you were complaining about yesterday.
Anyways, take care.

I don't constantly check spelling, as I am prone to making mistakes myself at times. However, the lose/loose mistake is one which really annoys me. I mean, come on, how difficult is it, for those people for whom it's a first language? And I am sure you have noticed that I haven't pointed out any particular post or comment, but am making a general statement regarding this, which is why I started a thread. Yes, this is a tennis forum and I do not come here to check spellings, however, this is one mistake which can get slightly irritating, which is why I thought I'd be nice enough to point out the difference for those who are unaware of it.

Have a nice day. :wavey:

hingis-seles
Jul 30th, 2003, 12:08 PM
you pretend to be intelligent but you're not. :lol:

You would know a lot about pretending to be intelligent wouldn't you? :lol:

gentenaire
Jul 30th, 2003, 12:11 PM
OK, but can anyone give a reasonable explanation why you pronounce "lose" as if it was written "loose" ?

It's pronounced differently. Lose is pronounce looze, loose is pronounced loos.

I'm afraid I have to agree with Hingis-Seles. It does become annoying after a while.

Is it really too much to expect someone to be able to spell lose?

BasicTennis
Jul 30th, 2003, 12:11 PM
yeah...it's all written all over your face.:p

controlfreak
Jul 30th, 2003, 12:19 PM

You don't.
"I am going to looze this tennis match"
"My trousers are very loossse"
The first one rhymes with booze. The second one rhymes with mousse.

hingis-seles
Jul 30th, 2003, 12:27 PM
yeah...it's all written all over your face.:p

Which you have seen so many times. :p

Cariaoke
Jul 30th, 2003, 01:16 PM
well somebody had to point it out... it was getting on my damn nerves! :D

hingis-seles
Jul 30th, 2003, 01:19 PM
Cari has Seles in her sig! YAY! :bounce:

Cariaoke
Jul 30th, 2003, 01:22 PM
:lol: :lol:

I've always been her fan. She was the one who turned me onto the game. I didn't watch during Nav's era probably because I was outside playing. :D

hingis-seles
Jul 30th, 2003, 01:40 PM
Oh wow! I thought you were a teenager. :p

I missed all of Monica's glory years. :sad: Martina made me a fan in 1996. :D

doloresc
Jul 30th, 2003, 01:42 PM
lose = to be defeated, to lose possession of

loose = not tight, not constricted

hingis-seles
Jul 30th, 2003, 01:45 PM
Psst...don't tell anyone but I always knew Venus would be a great and that she'd be better than Anna(I'm talking of when there was hype that Anna and Martina would contest GS finals). :secret: However, I also thought Venus would be a better player than Serena. :rolleyes:

Cariaoke
Jul 30th, 2003, 01:51 PM
:lol: h-s... there was a really good thread about Martina/Venus vs. Serena/Somebody... how a natural ability to play tennis hurts someone vs. how someone who has to work hard ends up being the better player overall.

btw, I'll be 24 this year... I act like a kid to deflect all the responsibility I have to take on daily. It's how I let loose. :tape:

GoDominique
Jul 30th, 2003, 01:55 PM
Thanks. :)

switz
Jul 30th, 2003, 02:09 PM
all these threads with you complaining is what's annoying me.

loose the attitude

hingis-seles
Jul 30th, 2003, 03:43 PM
:lol: h-s... there was a really good thread about Martina/Venus vs. Serena/Somebody... how a natural ability to play tennis hurts someone vs. how someone who has to work hard ends up being the better player overall.

That's so true. I wish I had either work ethic or talent, but alas, I have neither. :sad: Well, not for tennis, anyways. I'm too lazy. :p

btw, I'll be 24 this year... I act like a kid to deflect all the responsibility I have to take on daily. It's how I let loose. :tape:

That's co0l. Kids have more fun than grown-ups anyways.:lol:

R&J
Jul 30th, 2003, 03:58 PM
somebody is frustrated
Exactly - good point.

Rocketta
Jul 30th, 2003, 04:53 PM
Well I think if "That" is what's irritating you then you have an anal problem. :yawn:

Get Over it! :cool:

hingis-seles
Jul 30th, 2003, 05:32 PM
Well I think if "That" is what's irritating you then you have an anal problem. :yawn:

Get Over it! :cool:

It's how some of you call it, "a pet peeve". :p

SerenaSlam
Jul 30th, 2003, 05:42 PM
hell i know i do it all the time, and to tell you the truth, i give no fuck what i type, why?

well b/c at the end of the day, you know what the fuck im talking about. i know you would have to sit there and figure out what i mean, but i could give a fucking care less if you have to do that too. you know what im tryin to say, so deal w/ it :)

Hendouble
Jul 30th, 2003, 06:16 PM
Fine SerenaSlam, but if you're too lazy to spell properly then don't expect people to take what you write seriously. If English is their first language, there's no excuse for someone not to get such a basic spelling right. I can't understand why you'd want to spell it as "loose" anyway - if you spell it correctly, at least it's one less letter to type.

fammmmedspin
Jul 30th, 2003, 07:20 PM
Loose for lose isn't even that logical as mistakes go. Its odd to chose the more difficult spelling. Lose is also a verb you would be more likely to run across than you would the adjective loose. If you didn't know the language, I would have thought lewse would turn up as a mistake closely followed by looze or loos. Its a case of a complete louse up.

Hendouble
Jul 30th, 2003, 07:49 PM
I could also point out that in the above post, "choose" is mistakenly spelt in the past tense as "chose", but I'm not going to push my luck and get two people annoyed on the same day...