PDA

View Full Version : Dokic survives scare from Spaniard at San Diego WTA event

tennisIlove09
Jul 30th, 2003, 07:01 AM
Dokic survives scare from Spaniard at San Diego WTA event

July 30, 2003

AFP - Jul 30, 1:59 am EDT
More Photos

SAN DIEGO, California (AFP) - Jelena Dokic was nearly upset in her first match at the one million dollar San Diego WTA event but she managed to regroup and get past Spain's Magui Serna 2-6, 6-2, 6-3.

A weary Dokic lost the lopsided final here to Venus Williams in 2002, and the world's 12th-ranked player appeared to be in trouble Tuesday after the Spaniard grabbed the opener.

"I just didn't get going," Dokic said after improving to 5-0 lifetime against Serna.

"I was just not playing well, maybe because it was an early start. I had a lot of game points that I let go."

In the third set, Dokic broke Serna to take a 3-1 lead when she pounded an overhead winner on break point.

Each player held serve from that point and at 5-3 Dokic served for the match. At 30-30, Dokic slammed a down-the-line backhand winner to reach match point.

Then at 40-30, Dokic responded to Serna's drop shot with a perfectly executed crosscourt forehand winner to end the one hour, 37 minute match.

ADVERTISEMENT

Fourth-seeded American Lindsay Davenport and sixth-seeded Chanda Rubin also advanced.

Davenport powered past Amy Frazier 6-3, 6-1 in just 54 minutes to move into the third round.

Davenport, who has never lost to Frazier in nine meetings, was playing her first match following a three-set quarter-final loss to Venus Williams at Wimbledon three weeks ago.

She has suffered from a left toe injury since last fall.

"First of all, I was happy with the way my foot felt, and second of all, I was happy to play pretty well and beat a good player out there," Davenport said.

The winner in San Diego in 1998, Davenport has been suffering from an inflamed nerve between the third and fourth toes on her left foot, an injury that will require surgery later this year.

In a form reminiscent of her days as world No. 1, Davenport displayed an arsenal of blistering baseline strokes and an effective serve to drub Frazier, who has won just one set in a rivalry that dates to 1994.

Rubin downed Slovenia's Tina Pisnik 7-5, 6-0.

By virtue of their wins, Rubin and Dokic set up their fourth career clash.

"I like my chances," said Rubin, who holds a 2-1 lifetime edge against Dokic.

"I'm going to have to go in there and match her pace. I'll have to serve well and go to net more, where I have an advantage over her. I need to play a good solid competitive match."

Updated

sharnadarling
Jul 30th, 2003, 07:51 AM
this doesnt constitute a "scare".... a scare would be a 1-6 7-6 6-4 result not a 2-6 6-2 6-3 match where dokic slaughtered serna in the last two sets.

pffff at the scare title! :(

SM
Jul 30th, 2003, 10:54 AM
it was a bitof a scare cos she got thrashed in the first set...no one really expected jelena to reverse it so easily after 2-6...thats just journo's for ya anyway

I_See_The_Light
Jul 30th, 2003, 11:00 AM
who could forget pretty much the same scoreline back last year here against crappy 2-6 6-2 6-4

propi
Jul 30th, 2003, 11:35 AM
As usual, Magüi just can't beat her I don't know why......

Caz
Jul 30th, 2003, 12:06 PM
Magui :banghead: is all I have to say.