PDA

View Full Version : Seriously: How can Serena defend the Open?

tennisIlove09
Jul 30th, 2003, 07:00 AM
With no warm ups planned, I don't see how Serena can defend the US Open.

WtaTour4Ever
Jul 30th, 2003, 07:01 AM
Is she playing the Pilot Pen?

BasicTennis
Jul 30th, 2003, 07:02 AM
Her first round opponents will be her warm up practice and she could play doubles up to the quarters. I believe this should be enough.:devil:

tennisIlove09
Jul 30th, 2003, 07:04 AM
Is she playing the Pilot Pen?

She hasn't officially entered yet, and Yahoo is saying she's out until the US Open

Knizzle
Jul 30th, 2003, 07:07 AM
She hasn't officially entered yet, and Yahoo is saying she's out until the US Open

It's not like the Williams sisters have always prepared for tournaments before they won. Venus almost had no preparation for Wimby 2000. Not much tournament play anyway. If anyone will make Serena pay for little preparation it will be Venus.

tennisIlove09
Jul 30th, 2003, 07:09 AM
It's not like the Williams sisters have always prepared for tournaments before they won. Venus almost had no preparation for Wimby 2000. Not much tournament play anyway. If anyone will make Serena pay for little preparation it will be Venus.

yea...but Serena seems to struggle more with long lay offs. I think of the Australian. She played terrible the entire event, except for the finals. She still won...but I get the feeling players aren't as intimidated as they were in January.

I dunno. I just have a bad feeling. I hope she's healthy for the Open

Knizzle
Jul 30th, 2003, 07:11 AM
yea...but Serena seems to struggle more with long lay offs. I think of the Australian. She played terrible the entire event, except for the finals. She still won...but I get the feeling players aren't as intimidated as they were in January.

I dunno. I just have a bad feeling. I hope she's healthy for the Open

Actually I have had this bad feeling also, but it was about the Acura. I couldn't get it out of my head that Serena was going to be upset at that tournament. But at the US Open I think she will be ready.

tennisIlove09
Jul 30th, 2003, 07:12 AM
Actually I have had this bad feeling also, but it was about the Acura. I couldn't get it out of my head that Serena was going to be upset at that tournament. But at the US Open I think she will be ready.

You have more faith then I do. It will be odd having Serena not the #1 seed either.

Hopefully Venus is healthy.

Knizzle
Jul 30th, 2003, 07:15 AM
You have more faith then I do. It will be odd having Serena not the #1 seed either.

Hopefully Venus is healthy.

More quality points for Venus if she beats #1 Kim, so it's all good. I think Venus is going on a tear if she is healthy. Look out Toronto and the US Open and Moscow, and the tour championships Venus is coming for you.

Dava
Jul 30th, 2003, 07:27 AM
Its going to be really hard, but she can defend the open if she has a cakewalk draw through to the third round, that should be enough for her to ger back into winning form. But if she got someone who aint seeded but tough, things could be difficult for her.

But you can never doubt Serena

JLDementieva
Jul 30th, 2003, 07:53 AM
Even though I'm not a big Serena fan, I still say she has the best chance of winning the US Open. She has shown us what she is capable of doing the last couple of years. Warm up or not, she can still win.

SJW
Jul 30th, 2003, 09:31 AM
she hardly played HC last year and still didnt drop a set

never count out Ms Serena...;)

Lisbeth
Jul 30th, 2003, 09:34 AM
It's not ideal but she's probably still the fave ... PROVIDED that she can practice even if she can't play matches. If the injury is too serious for her to practice much then she's in trouble.

I agree she can probably warm up for about 3 rounds (as long as she doesn't draw Mme Emilie Loit!).

Lisbeth
Jul 30th, 2003, 09:35 AM

never count out Ms Serena...;)

true, but "hardly" is not the same as "not at all"!

Brαm
Jul 30th, 2003, 09:38 AM
Of course she can! Even with no matches played from Wimbledon till US Open, she's the top favourite!

hingis-seles
Jul 30th, 2003, 10:04 AM
With Kim burnt out thanks to her scheduling(4 tournaments-singles and doubles), Venus still returning from injury, Serena should really cruise to US Open title #3.

BasicTennis
Jul 30th, 2003, 10:09 AM
With Kim burnt out thanks to her scheduling(4 tournaments-singles and doubles), Venus still returning from injury, Serena should really cruise to US Open title #3.
...and not to mention the bad luck that Lleyton is bringing to Kim plus the "energy" he's taking away from Kim.:devil:

Hulet
Jul 30th, 2003, 10:31 AM
Didn't Serena only played L.A. last year ( exited with a loss to chanda at the quarters) before the USO? So, the only difference b/n last years preparation and this years is just three matches. Besides, She had the best hardcourt player in the tour as her practice partner.

Dava
Jul 30th, 2003, 10:33 AM

True but she had a tough match against Chanda, which meant she knew she had to buck her ideas up. Which she did, in only three matches, did she drop more then three games in a set. :eek:

Brαm
Jul 30th, 2003, 11:05 AM
Isn't she playing Stanford, San Diego & Montreal?
And she didn't play doubles in Stanford, right?

BasicTennis
Jul 30th, 2003, 11:16 AM
you need to believe hingis-seles, she knows everything.:yawn:

Lien
Jul 30th, 2003, 11:17 AM
Easy she just goes out and play like a mad woman and she shall win. I can hardly see anyone else beside Serena winning the US Open even though I like Kim and Venus more.

Astro Jetson
Jul 30th, 2003, 11:21 AM
I think Serena proved enough times she doesn't need that much preparation before a grand slam. ;)

doloresc
Jul 30th, 2003, 12:46 PM
serena is the first player i've seen since graf who could go into a grand slam with zero preparation and still win it. i want venus to win but will not be surprised to see serena prevail again.

Experimentee
Jul 30th, 2003, 12:57 PM
She normally can win without playing many tournaments. Last year she only played one tournament, and lost in the QF, then won the US Open. Venus is similar, she can come in cold and do really well. I'm not going to worry about lack of warm up where Serena is concerned!

Cybelle Darkholme
Jul 30th, 2003, 01:04 PM
she did it with wimbledon.

Cariaoke
Jul 30th, 2003, 01:05 PM
what's there to be worried about?

I'm worried about their (the sisters) injuries more than if they can make the final. It's what I've come to expect in grand slams. *shrug*

irma
Jul 30th, 2003, 01:06 PM
serena in 99 played one tournament between the french and the us open and won

Chance
Jul 30th, 2003, 01:10 PM
Seriously, I still see Serena winning the USOPEN(though it would be nice to see if one of my other favs won)

tendinitis(sp?) can come and go, if Serena can practice by the time Pilot Pen starts and be 100%ready by the time the USOPEN starts, then I see her winning it.

However Serena mentally is different when she defends a tournament- I think Serena feels the pressure a bit more....

Also in 1999 Serena was the hunter this year everyone is hunting her.

Lisbeth
Jul 31st, 2003, 01:20 AM
Besides, She had the best hardcourt player in the tour as her practice partner.

That's very true - IF Venus is well enough to be practising. My concern (well I guess it's not really a concern seeing as I am a Kim fan, but as a tennis fan I do like the field to always be at top strength!) is not whether they play matches - they have both shown that they can win without that. It's whether their injuries are bad enough to stop them getting any meaningful practice in.

bandabou
Jul 31st, 2003, 01:26 AM
I think that on hardcourts one of the few things which can stop Serena are injuries. If she´s healthy she can come without NO match practice and still rule the Open. This is truly amazing..... I still hope she can get some match practice though.

darrinbaker00
Jul 31st, 2003, 06:07 AM
Its going to be really hard, but she can defend the open if she has a cakewalk draw through to the third round, that should be enough for her to ger back into winning form. But if she got someone who aint seeded but tough, things could be difficult for her.

But you can never doubt Serena

Unfortunately for Serena, Kim has the "cakewalk draw" market cornered..... ;)

disposablehero
Jul 31st, 2003, 06:15 AM
It could be somewhat tougher for her. She'll have to bring her best to the late rounds, and the early rounds may not be enough preperation to find her best. That's if she's even 100% healthy.

Hingiswinsthis
Jul 31st, 2003, 06:38 AM
Remember in 2002, her first tournament back was Scottsdale (right?) and she beat Hingis and Capriati right away! NEVER count out the sisters, they don't play until they think they are healthy, except for a few occasions;) Serena will be ready, and she is still gonna win, ofcourse:D

spartanfan
Jul 31st, 2003, 03:26 PM
Good point Hingiswin... Since 1999 Serena has suffered from a summer time injury leading up to the US Open. In 1999 she pulled out of the Canadian Open with a shoulder injury, in 2000 had to retire to Hingis at the Canadian Open w/ a toe/foot injury after winning the first set 6-0. And just last year she had knee tendionitus (sp?) and pulled out of the Canadian Open also. Maybe she has something against Canada, but I'm not too worried about Serena. If anything it will cause her to focus more in her earlier rounds. Remember Venus played in only 2 tournaments after last years US Open (Moscow and LA) and still managed to make the finals of the Australian and stretching Serena to 3 sets. And Serena last year after being sideline at the AO, went to Arizona and beat Capriati and Hingis to win the title and two weeks later won Miami. Get well soon Serena your fans miss you.

hingis-seles
Jul 31st, 2003, 04:34 PM
Isn't she playing Stanford, San Diego & Montreal?
And she didn't play doubles in Stanford, right?

Kim will also be playing LA. That's 4 straight weeks. 1 week of recovery won't be enough. Kim is very fit, but she's only human.

hingis-seles
Jul 31st, 2003, 04:35 PM
you need to believe hingis-seles, she knows everything.:yawn:

You're only partially correct. It should read:

You need to believe hingis-seles; he knows everything.

disposablehero
Aug 1st, 2003, 12:11 AM
Kim will also be playing LA. That's 4 straight weeks. 1 week of recovery won't be enough. Kim is very fit, but she's only human.

Actually Kim is superior to humans. Just wait and see.

maccardel
Aug 1st, 2003, 02:10 AM
With no warm ups planned, I don't see how Serena can defend the US Open.

Easy, all she has to do is play high level tennis against her sister on one of those courts in the backyard.........I think her sister can manage a match, some say her sister can actually play tennis.....I don't know though......

CoryAnnAvants#1
Aug 1st, 2003, 11:25 PM
Serena will be fine until at least the quarters. I can see somebody like Sugiyama, Seles (if healthy), Petrova or Zvonereva pushing her, maybe even taking a set, but nothing more. She hasn't lost to anybody outside the top 15 in a loooonnngggg time, so I'm 99% sure it won't start happening at Flushing. Here are the top 16 (rankings taken after Wimby) and their chances

#16 Amanda Coetzer-No. No. And no. No chance in hell Amanda gets more than 5 games, let along the match. Serena simply doesn't lose to human backboards

#15 Vera Zvonereva-Very tricky match for Serena. She got a set off her at RG this year and has improved a lot since then. However, they wouldn't meet until the 4th round and Serena should have worked off the rust by then. Serena would win by something like 6-4 6-3

#14 Conchita Martinez-She might annoy Serena for the first set, but won't win it, and then Serena will figure out what to do and blow her away in the second set. No real weapons to hurt Serena. Unless Serena has a mental collapse on court, she'll pull throw losing no more than 5 games. Something like 6-4 6-1

#13 Magdalena Malleva-Serena has OWNED her when they've played. Serena does everything Malleva does, just much better. Routine 2 setter.

#12 Jelena Dokic-Riiiigghhhhtttt. Next.

#11-Ai Sugiyama-If Ai is playing her best, and I mean HER VERY BEST, I think she's got the best chance to knock off Serena before the gruesome twosome Clijsters and Henin (no offense, just a nickname, I like both of em). She's got a lot of variety in her game, but unlike a Conchita Martinez, she's aggressive. She's got a big forehand, can place her serve well, and is deadly up at net. If Serena is still struggling by round 4 (which isn't likely, but possible), Ai might be able to pull it out. In reality though, Serena should pull through in 2 (or possibly 3) tough sets.

#10 Anastasia Myskina-She's been on Center Court at a GS once at the Australian this year and came completely unglued. She's a solid striker of the ball, but she won't be able to overpower Serena. Furthermore, Serena will eat that second serve for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

#9 Daniela Hantuchova-See Dokic

#8-Chanda Rubin-Another player with the ability to beat Serena when she's at her best. She's had somewhat of a career renaissance and her lovely all court game is something Serena has never had an easy time with. However, she's prone to inconsistency and patches of shitty play (i.e. her match against Farina at Wimby). It depends on which Chanda shows up. Once again, I think any sane person would pick Serena, but Chanda has the ability to beat her. More importantly, SHE BELIEVES SHE CAN DO IT!

#7 Jennifer Capriati-CAN she beat Serena? Yes. Will she? No. She runs out of gas late in matches, (I think almost every loss she's had this year, if not all of them, have come in three sets), she has a MAJOR mental hangup on playing the Williams sisters, and she'll be entering Flushing with an injury preventing her from serving and hitting her forehand comfortably, her two biggest shots.

#6 Amelie Mauresmo-She's coming off an injury and it always takes her a while to get going. I can't really make an honest assessment of her since she hasn't played since RG, but she has the ability to beat Serena. I'm just not sure if she will.

#5 Lindsay Davenport-She has major issues mentally when it comes to playing the Williamses. Furthermore, I don't think she is really willing to dig deep and fight anymore. She basically tanked the last part of her match against Venus at Wimby. No chance for Lindsay.

#4 Venus Williams-Nope. No chance. She has the game to do it, but it's all mental now. She's injured as well.

#3 Justine Henin-If anyone is going to beat Serena, she will. She has all the ingredients to do so. If this were any other GS, I'd pick her over Rena. But Justine has never done well at the US Open. Furthermore, she HATES playing in NY. She's even said it herself. Furthermore, Serena will be pumped to play Justine for the rest of her career after what happened in Paris.

#2 Kim Clijsters Playing extremely well at the moment, but she's another player with a mental hangup against the sisters. She also plays absolutely beautifully UNTIL the semifinals and finals of a GS. She's another player who has never brought her best to Flushing. She'll lose in 3 to either Venus or Serena.

darrinbaker00
Aug 2nd, 2003, 01:03 AM
I'll have to disagree with you on two points, Bradshaw:

1. I think Venus has what it takes mentally to beat Serena. In fact, I'll go so far as to say Venus would have beaten Serena at Wimbledon if she didn't reinjure herself (Holy 20-20 hindsight, Batman!).

2. The only Grand Slam I would give Justine the nod over Serena is Roland Garros, because all three of Justine's wins against Serena have been on clay. I will agree, though, that the Big Babe Slayer isn't afraid of Serena (unlike her Flemish compatriot), and that counts for a lot. ;)