PDA

View Full Version : Serena withdraws from JP Morgan Chase......what does this mean?

maccardel
Jul 30th, 2003, 01:05 AM
Does this mean that she will lose the number one ranking to Kim ?

I need to know cos I want to send Kim some cards n flowers.......yeah right!!!!!!!!

Jericho
Jul 30th, 2003, 01:07 AM
where'd you hear this from?

Jericho
Jul 30th, 2003, 01:12 AM
oh i see, she's not on the commitment list

Serendy Willick
Jul 30th, 2003, 01:13 AM
Oh nooooo

Jericho
Jul 30th, 2003, 01:14 AM
Serena Williams Withdraws From Chase Open

CARLSBAD, Calif. - Top-ranked Serena Williams (news - web sites) withdrew from next week's J.P. Morgan Chase Open due to a strained left quadriceps, the third straight tournament she will miss due to injury.

Tuesday's announcement by the WTA Tour comes a day after Williams pulled out of the Acura Classic. She also withdrew from the Bank of the West Classic last week.

Williams, winner of five of the past six Grand Slam titles, had an MRI performed on her left leg Monday in Los Angeles and was advised not to play this week. The quadriceps injury was causing Williams considerable pain in her left knee.

Williams missed the Bank of the West Classic because of pain in her left knee not associated with her strained quadriceps.

Hawk
Jul 30th, 2003, 01:16 AM
She wasn't going to the JP Morgan in the first place...so to answer your question..yes in all likelihood Kim will take the #1 ranking. Although it is possible for her to get it this week..she probably won't.

Get those flowers ready :p j/k ;)

Cybelle Darkholme
Jul 30th, 2003, 01:19 AM
why wouldnt kim get it this week? Im sure she can come up with 200 or so points to take it if she wins.

Hawk
Jul 30th, 2003, 01:23 AM
why wouldnt kim get it this week? Im sure she can come up with 200 or so points to take it if she wins.

Cause she needs the seeds to hold up..in addition to winning the tournie she would have to collect a rather large amount of bonus points as well..she needs to beat Justine in the final..also she has to beat either Davenport or Rubin..if the draw collapses she won't have enough bonus points to overtake #1

tennischick
Jul 30th, 2003, 01:24 AM
from www.tennisone.com... here are the facts, no guesses...

San Diego - No Round In Particular
Serena Williams -- WITHDRAWN

This is it. The #1 ranking is on Kim Clijsters' racquet.

Well, just barely. It's going to be a very, very, very close thing.

First, the story of what happened. Serena, who last week withdrew from Stanford with a knee problem (believed to be tendonitis), has now withdrawn from San Diego as well. Since she didn't withdraw until after play began, seeds will not be promoted; Meilen Tu will take her place as a Lucky Loser. It has not been announced, but it appears that Serena will be fined for two consecutive late withdrawals.

But the real penalty is bigger: She might lose the top spot, at least for a week. Here is the situation: Serena leads Kim Clijsters by 264 points. However, Clijsters has 122 points in her seventeenth tournament, meaning that she has to earn 386 points to pass Serena.

Can she do it? Yes, barely -- if the seeds hold. This is a bonus Tier II, so it's worth 220 points. And, as the draw stands, Clijsters's path to the title is:

Second round: Virginia Ruano Pascual (8 quality points)
Third round: Meghann Shaughnessy (23 quality points)
Quarterfinal: Ai Sugiyama or Conchita Martinez (35 quality points)
Semifinal: Lindsay Davenport (50 quality points)
Final: Justine Henin-Hardenne (66 quality points)

Grand total: 402 points. That means Clijsters has a margin of error of 16 points. That means she can accept only one substitution: If she faces Chanda Rubin rather than Lindsay Davenport in the semifinal, she's still all right. (The withdrawal of Nathalie Dechy genuinely hurt her: Had Dechy been in the draw, she would have had a 31 point margin, and would not have needed to face Henin-Hardenne in the final.)

Even if Clijsters doesn't make it this week, she can all but guarantee herself the top spot at some future time by doing well here. It's going to be a very interesting week.

maccardel
Jul 30th, 2003, 01:27 AM

I think I see Kim in the back rumbling through the garbage looking for those extra points now that she heard Serena is not going to JP morgan chase.................

could it be that the Williamses have a protest against California? This Indian Wells thing is going too far........ :haha: :topic:

maccardel
Jul 30th, 2003, 01:28 AM
She wasn't going to the JP Morgan in the first place...so to answer your question..yes in all likelihood Kim will take the #1 ranking. Although it is possible for her to get it this week..she probably won't.

Get those flowers ready :p j/k ;)

Sorry I decided to send the flowers to Serena instead. She needs to get better.......sorry kim.

bandabou
Jul 30th, 2003, 01:29 AM
Hmm...this strain is getting a bit TOO serious! Come on, babygirl! Get well soon!

yukon145
Jul 30th, 2003, 01:30 AM
Doesn't this mean Serena isn't gonna play a match from the Wimbledon final to the first round of the US Open. Won't she want to re-enter in Canada or enter in New Haven?

ys
Jul 30th, 2003, 01:33 AM
All math doesn't matter anymore. If Kim wins Acura she WILL BECOME #1. Barring some incredible chain of upsets.

Hawk
Jul 30th, 2003, 01:34 AM
Doesn't this mean Serena isn't gonna play a match from the Wimbledon final to the first round of the US Open. Won't she want to re-enter in Canada or enter in New Haven?

I think that's exactly what it means..that quite a long break :eek: Can she re-enter Canada? Isn't she doing some movie thing that week? :confused:

btw I just got my Rogers Cup tickets today and the envelope they come in has Serena on the cover...just like last year :p..me thinks they're going to stop putting her on the cover :p

jenglisbe
Jul 30th, 2003, 01:40 AM
So what does Kim need to do between the 2 weeks? If she makes the SF or final this week, then a SF or final next week would be good enough...right??

Anyway, if Kim does well these next 2 weeks, which is likely, she should skip Toronto. 4 weeks straight is a lot of tennis, especially with her playing doubles at some of the events!

Better yet, she should drop L.A. so she has a week off, play Montreal, and then have a week off before the Open.

*JR*
Jul 30th, 2003, 01:43 AM
One individual who will clearly be celebrating regardless of why Serena may fall out of the top spot for the time being is the poster of what is quoted below (re. the RG hand dispute) from the board of GoTennis, which tolerates all forms of "code word racism":Rational Danny

Re: The Controversy

Serena Williams, a known School Yard Bully, got exactly what was coming to her. She's the one who forced Justine's hand. While Rational Danny doesn't condone those actions Justine fought fire with fire and came out the victor.

Hopefully Serena Williams learned a lesson from this. Lesson being What Goes Around Comes Around! (This is typical for Danny, a close buddy of a poster called TPlayer who occasionally "graces" this board). Congragulations to Danny can be addressed to: mulder_xf@webtv.net (quite an appropriate e-mail as the world is one big Williams-run conspiracy to him anyway). :p

Hawk
Jul 30th, 2003, 01:43 AM
So what does Kim need to do between the 2 weeks? If she makes the SF or final this week, then a SF or final next week would be good enough...right??

Anyway, if Kim does well these next 2 weeks, which is likely, she should skip Toronto. 4 weeks straight is a lot of tennis, especially with her playing doubles at some of the events!

Better yet, she should drop L.A. so she has a week off, play Montreal, and then have a week off before the Open.

No she should not skip Toronto!!

I'm going to Toronto :p

Sorry but to actually answer your question..a couple of semi final's would clinch it for sure..

the cat
Jul 30th, 2003, 01:48 AM
I've been watching tennis for a long time. Has a woman ever become #1 on the computer without winning a grand slam? I don't think so.

How is it that Clijsters who is built almost exactly the same as S. Williams can play so many tournaments year after year while Serena can play so few year after year? :confused:

Congrats to Kim on soon becoming #1 in the world! :D :worship: Kim Clijsters has taken over Monica Seles' role as the calliest act in tennis. :)

Sanneriet
Jul 30th, 2003, 01:56 AM
Injury problems continue for Serena
St. Petersburg, FL (Sports Network) - Serena Williams has withdrawn from her third event of the summer, as a quadriceps injury will force her to miss next week's JP Morgan Chase Open in Los Angeles.

Williams missed last week's Bank of the West Classic in Stanford because of a knee injury and also pulled out of this week's Acura Classic in San Diego. An MRI exam taken Monday revealed the left quadriceps strain, which she developed while practicing this past weekend.

The No. 1 ranked player in the world has not played since capturing the Wimbledon title earlier this month. She is not expected to play again until the U.S. Open, which begins August 25 in New York.

07/29 20:58:31 ET

Lisbeth
Jul 30th, 2003, 01:58 AM
I hope Serena is not badly hurt.

But I agree with the cat that it is curious that two similar (in many ways) top players can handle such different schedules. I said in another thread yesterday that I believe the manner of practice/training may affect a player's ability to avoid injury. Kim does a lot of general fitness and flexibility work and it seems to stand her in good stead (one bad injury last year aside). I don't know how Serena trains but I do wonder.

fammmmedspin
Jul 30th, 2003, 02:16 AM
How is it that Clijsters who is built almost exactly the same as S. Williams can play so many tournaments year after year while Serena can play so few year after year?

A: Bad Luck

B: I gave up physics at 16, but I think its pretty basic laws of force and momentum. If you move that fast and hit the ball that hard and serve that fast you are bound to wear yourself out faster than someone more normal like Jen (with Jen's serve too?) or Kim (Kim had trouble with her arm/shoulder too though) You play, you wear your body down. so you don't play much and then you give your body a shock playing. My theory is that Serena couldn't play 20 tournaments the way she does - at the moment she may not make much over 10.

treufreund
Jul 30th, 2003, 02:20 AM
Well this is sad for Serena but also a bit sad for Kim cuz some will not respect her but such is life. :sad:

As for Kim getting the #1 I think it will happen since the WTA is a vast conspiracy to stop the Williams. Chanda, Lindsay, Justine, Meghann will gladly lose to help Kim dislodge Serena. Even Jenn will do so with a big big smile on her face. Oh, and if you believe this I have a glacier for sale in Palm Springs for you. :rolleyes:

Oh and Btw, JUSTINE HENIN-HARDENNE leads ELENI DANIILIDOU 3-1. :D

Mase
Jul 30th, 2003, 02:24 AM
4-1 now, LOL

Hulet
Jul 30th, 2003, 02:27 AM
Oh, so the injury is more serious than I thought. :sad:

What is all this speculation about serena's injury? When was the last time she missed tournaments before this injury? I think it was last year at the canadian open. She doesn't get injured that often.

Hulet
Jul 30th, 2003, 02:28 AM
As for Kim getting the #1 I think it will happen since the WTA is a vast conspiracy to stop the Williams. Chanda, Lindsay, Justine, Meghann will gladly lose to help Kim dislodge Serena. Even Jenn will do so with a big big smile on her face. Oh, and if you believe this I have a glacier for sale in Palm Springs for you. :rolleyes:

huh? :confused: I know you are trying sarcasm but at what?

the cat
Jul 30th, 2003, 02:33 AM
I agree with Number1Kim that it's a matter of conditioning as to why Serena is so injury prone and Kim is so durable.

famm makes a good point, too, about force and momentum causing wear and tear on a tennis players. But Serena's injuries are always the nagging injuries to her incredible legs.

maccardel
Jul 30th, 2003, 02:35 AM
We are talking about this year but lets not forget that with all the tourneys that Kim is playing this year, then she has like a zillion points to defend next year. That leaves Serena and Venus with nada but Grand Slams to defend and therefore they will return to number one and two......the others are playing themselves to death but they have so many points to defend now.....I could see alot of injuries happening to alot of overworked top players next year.........oh well......

Vegetable
Jul 30th, 2003, 02:36 AM
Shocking news...just shocking :rolleyes:

Good for Kim if she wins. If not, whatever. Rankings ain't all that important anyway if you're in the top 4...

Hulet
Jul 30th, 2003, 02:45 AM
This is a bit offtopic but this whole "serena injury-kim rise to the top" kinds of matches with the novel I was reading now by a canadian author titled "Life of Pi" (very good book). In this book, when a ship carrying wild animals from Indian zoo to Canada starts sinking somewhere in the pacific, a bunch of animals including a monkey, a zebra, a hyena and a Bengal tiger, and a 16 year old boy jump on to a same lifeboat and survive. The tiger got immediately sea-sick and hide in one corner of the boat until it healed. The hyena waited for a while to make sure that Tiger wasn't threatening and started to attack the rest of the animals except for the boy and ofcourse the tiger. Ofcourse, when the tiger was able to get on its feet, the first thing it did was get rid of the hyena.

maccardel
Jul 30th, 2003, 02:49 AM
This is a bit offtopic but this whole "serena injury-kim rise to the top" kinds of matches with the novel I was reading now by a canadian author titled "Life of Pi" (very good book). In this book, when a ship carrying wild animals from Indian zoo to Canada starts sinking somewhere in the pacific, a bunch of animals including a monkey, a zebra, a hyena and a Bengal tiger, and a 16 year old boy jump on to a same lifeboat and survive. The tiger got immediately sea-sick and hide in one corner of the boat until it healed. The hyena waited for a while to make sure that Tiger wasn't threatening and started to attack the rest of the animals except for the boy and ofcourse the tiger. Ofcourse, when the tiger was able to get on its feet, the first thing it did was get rid of the hyena.

Let me guess the hyena was nice but caught up in the competition of nature.........

Hulet
Jul 30th, 2003, 03:01 AM
Let me guess the hyena was nice but caught up in the competition of nature.........
I am really going offtopic now but actually, it's in the nature of the hyena to attack the rest of animals when it sees some vaccum in the heirarchy of who rules whom. If the Tiger was well from the beginning, the hyena would have been satisfied with scavenging or other role. But, with the sickness of the Tiger, the hyena doesn't know what to do with the power vaccum and gets nervous, so ends up dispatching the rest of the animals one after the other rapidly.

Lisbeth
Jul 30th, 2003, 03:08 AM
Is that book good? I've got it but have been putting off reading it because it looked kind of serious and I've been too tired to get into anything too heavy!

gweeny
Jul 30th, 2003, 04:42 AM
Maybe Serena will not play the US open and Venus will have a better chance of winning. Serena is just so good right now, I think Venus and the other female athletes, need to play well or have a less than 100% Serena to win the US open

kyk710
Jul 30th, 2003, 05:48 AM
Some people are just injury prone. Like Ken Griffey Jr. in baseball (he's always injured, even though he's in great shape) I guess it's just luck that some people like Kim seem to never get injured while other, like Chanda and Serena always have nagging problems :sad:

"Topaz"
Jul 30th, 2003, 06:38 AM
Does this mean that she will lose the number one ranking to Kim ?
I need to know cos I want to send Kim some cards n flowers.......yeah right!!!!!!!!
Hold on a bit, it's not a done deal.
From Ys:
All math doesn't matter anymore. If Kim wins Acura she WILL BECOME #1. Barring some incredible chain of upsets.
Hold on folks, the party is not over.

Kim still has to earn it. Even though she defends no points till USOpen (and maybe nothing there either), she has some substantive 17th results to overtake each week. They are 122, 170 and 200, plus the current deficit of 265 (to be reduced to 200 next week as Serena will drop 65). So, Kim has to make semis pretty much in the next 3 tourneys just to maintain her current position behind Serena. Of course, one good Win plus a semi or a final will do it. The venue for Kim to consolidate the #1 with a sizeable margin is the Open.

It's definitely not a cake walk; she has to beat some very good players at the semis. As such, she has to earn the #1.

This ranking business is a bitch of a computation, isn't it?

disposablehero
Jul 30th, 2003, 07:10 AM
Is Serena still doing a movie shoot instead of playing Toronto? If so, Kim may not lose the #1 ranking in the foreseeable future.

hinquit
Jul 30th, 2003, 09:10 AM
The injury things remind me of Martina Hingis few years back. I Think
it was Venus who was injured and sidelined for six months and this
board was full of praises of Martiana's fitness and all that.
The williams could not take care of their own bodies and get injured
so easily, proclaimed one poster at the time. Not knowing Martina was
doing disservice to herself. She went off one year later, not just
injured for few weeks to come back but retired at such a young age.
I am seeing the same thing with Kim Clijsters. She and her fans want
the number #1 so badly that she is encouraged to play every tournament
since Wimbledom, forgetting to note that she is doing it at her own
peril.
Becoming world number #1 without winning a grandslam is a history
making, which I think has not been made before and Kim will be first
to accomplish that feest. She has already made one, the second
woman to reach the world number #2 since 1981 without winning a
grandslam.

Brαm
Jul 30th, 2003, 09:31 AM
The injury things remind me of Martina Hingis few years back. I Think
it was Venus who was injured and sidelined for six months and this
board was full of praises of Martiana's fitness and all that.
The williams could not take care of their own bodies and get injured
so easily, proclaimed one poster at the time.

Hey didn't you register just some months ago? :confused:

What? You're not telling me that you keep changing usernames, are you, Nuri(boy)? :eek: :wavey:

SJW
Jul 30th, 2003, 09:32 AM
it means babygirl is really hurt :(

Chance
Jul 30th, 2003, 09:52 AM
I didn't know Serena had withdrawn from JP Morgan... I just thought it was Acura.

Serena has been having problems with her knee since 2000... I hope Serena is ok for the USOPEN, I want a 100% RENA.

Rest that Knee Serena and be ready for the USOPEN(or Pilot Pen)

Damn this is a bit boring my top 3 players have yet to play a summer tournament... I hope at least Justine does well in the Acura tournament.

ChrisGermany
Jul 30th, 2003, 09:54 AM
As we know that Serena skips Canda for letting Venus play ;), Serena should be a WC at NewHaven, definetly. As to Kim, I think with Serena not playing, the WTA is kind of asking Kim to play both LA and Toronto, maybe sheīs asking Ai to rest in one event (LA) in doubles as a consequence.

I think Kim has to defend almost nothing in any of the PRE-US OPEN events and sheīs likely to overtake Serena this week and if not, then next week. If I would be Kim, I would skip Toronto, f.e., having won all 3 events (Stanford, SD and LA) but I wonder whatīs inside the WTA if thereīs no Lindsay, no Serena and probably no Venus in Canada.

Kim, nearer the top spot than anybody else apart from the Williams after the Capriati reign, now has to decide if she follows the business rules and becomes the headliner of the forthcoming events or if she listens to her body and controls her chances of winning the US Open carefully.

Personally, I think that playing 4 in a row, in spite of resting the NewHaven week is just too much having in mind that even hardcourt hotties like Lindsay or Monica would not do that and skip at least one !

SJW
Jul 30th, 2003, 09:58 AM
you see ive got accustomed with my players not playing more than 2 lower level tourneys in a row...Kim has to be (one of) the fittest player on tour right now, but 4 in a row is too much. shes gonna get burnt out (this has nothing to do with me trying to stop her getting to the top spot which im not trying to do :)). 4 in a row which lets face it, with no sisters, she will win all, yes she has 1 week off, but then 2 weeks of the USO....shes gonna be dying.

IMO her scheduling is really bad

gopher
Jul 30th, 2003, 09:59 AM
amazing these injuries seem to be Slam-resistant ???

gentenaire
Jul 30th, 2003, 10:00 AM
How is it that Clijsters who is built almost exactly the same as S. Williams can play so many tournaments year after year while Serena can play so few year after year?

A: Bad Luck

B: I gave up physics at 16, but I think its pretty basic laws of force and momentum. If you move that fast and hit the ball that hard and serve that fast you are bound to wear yourself out faster than someone more normal like Jen (with Jen's serve too?) or Kim (Kim had trouble with her arm/shoulder too though) You play, you wear your body down. so you don't play much and then you give your body a shock playing. My theory is that Serena couldn't play 20 tournaments the way she does - at the moment she may not make much over 10.

Kim had shoulder problems last year and cut down on her schedule. At the time they said they'd be happy if Kim would still be in the top 10 by the end of the year. Kim set a very low goal, changed her shoulder movement, got new physical trainer just to work on that shoulder to prevent further injury.
If Serene's knee is a recurring problem, maybe she too should consider trying to change a few of her movements in order to prevent further injury.

Kim's very lithe. I keep worrying Kim will hurt herself when she does those splits, but she never has. Those split come naturally. If you're not as lithe, I think the risk of injuries on your knees and legs are higher, it's easier to strain things.

hingis-seles
Jul 30th, 2003, 10:00 AM
Monica played BOTW, San Diego, L.A and Toronto in 2001 and burnt out at the US Open.

Hulet
Jul 30th, 2003, 10:19 AM
Is that book good? I've got it but have been putting off reading it because it looked kind of serious and I've been too tired to get into anything too heavy! It's an excellent book. I think it won some award but also there was some controversy about plagiarism related with the book. Anyways, depending on how you read it, it could be both serious with lots of meaning and also an entertaining adventure story with a nice twist at the end.

maccardel
Jul 30th, 2003, 10:44 AM
Once again this is all good for Kim but lets face it, she has alot of points to defend starting with the indoor season, I imagine she will be tired after the USopen cos she would have been playing like some months in a row by then.

great smash
Jul 30th, 2003, 10:47 AM
Once again this is all good for Kim but lets face it, she has alot of points to defend starting with the indoor season, I imagine she will be tired after the USopen cos she would have been playing like some months in a row by then.

Don't focus too much on the defending, she's likely to stay high up the ranking. If she decides not to play anymore this year, failing to defend her points from last year, she'd be at 4137, which at the moment is world a solid # 3 ranking, over 600 points clear of the present no. 4.

gentenaire
Jul 30th, 2003, 11:02 AM
Becoming world number #1 without winning a grandslam is a history
making, which I think has not been made before and Kim will be first
to accomplish that feest. She has already made one, the second
grandslam.

How come people keep on forgetting that Lindsay ended 2001 ranked #1 without winning a slam that year either. Since the rankings reflect the past year only, I don't see how Lindsay's #1 ranking should be any different than Kim's #1 ranking. Yet somehow, back then, there weren't nearly so many threads saying Lindsay didn't deserve it.

Who do you think is ranked #1 in cycling?

Juju_fan
Jul 30th, 2003, 11:16 AM
Yeah, what a shame, Lance Armstrong is not #1 in the world in cycling? whaaaaaaat? :haha: :haha: :haha:

Brαm
Jul 30th, 2003, 11:20 AM
How come people keep on forgetting that Lindsay ended 2001 ranked #1 without winning a slam that year either. Since the rankings reflect the past year only, I don't see how Lindsay's #1 ranking should be any different than Kim's #1 ranking. Yet somehow, back then, there weren't nearly so many threads saying Lindsay didn't deserve it.

So true, Martina & Lindsay were at some stages in their careers also ranked no.1 in the world, without having won a slam in the past 52 weeks.

If Kim gets to no.1, then she deserves it.

wateva
Jul 30th, 2003, 11:33 AM
"She has already made one, the second
grandslam."

who's the first??

disposablehero
Jul 30th, 2003, 12:57 PM
"She has already made one, the second
grandslam."

who's the first??

Andrea Jaeger

disposablehero
Jul 30th, 2003, 01:06 PM

Yes, Lindsay was a SO much more worthy #1 than Kim. I mean, sure, she hadn't actually been in a Grand Slam Final during those 52 weeks, or won the Tour Championships, and her only Tier I's were weak ones (Pan Pacific, Zurich). But hey, she won a Slam about 2 years previous to that, and that is what is really important when you are trying to determine the best current player, right?

disposablehero
Jul 30th, 2003, 01:10 PM
Yes, Lindsay was a SO much more worthy #1 than Kim. I mean, sure, she hadn't actually been in a Grand Slam Final during those 52 weeks, or won the Tour Championships, and her only Tier I's were weak ones (Pan Pacific, Zurich). But hey, she won a Slam about 2 years previous to that, and that is what is really important when you are trying to determine the best current player, right?

Oh, and buy the way, Lindsay held 7 titles at the time. When Kim takes over #1, she will be holding somewhere between 8 and 10.

Annarocks
Jul 30th, 2003, 01:11 PM
Sorry, but Neither CHANDA nor SERENA are more injury prone and have more nagging injuries than ANNA KOURNIKOVA.

ANNA....please, please, please come back!!

Cybelle Darkholme
Jul 30th, 2003, 01:16 PM
Well if kim does become number one people can shut up about the wta being a one woman show with no one challenging for the top. Obviously if the most dominant female althlete in the world loses her top spot then there must be serious contenders.

DA FOREHAND
Jul 30th, 2003, 01:23 PM
To answer the question the thread poses. It means she's injured and can't play.

spokenword73
Jul 30th, 2003, 02:30 PM
It means I bought tix, for Tuesday and Thursday, hoping to see 'Rena :( guess I'm ass-out!!

Go Chanda!

hinquit
Jul 30th, 2003, 03:56 PM

Had Justine been in the position of Kim, I have no problem with that
because she won the french open and it is a grandslam.
But kim becoming world no. #1 and her fans don't want people
to question its ligimacy is very stupid.
Davenport became number #1 without winning a slam that year is
different. She won slams before that happened. And if you look at
her records, she was qualified to be because she has been there
and titles won that year 2001 warrant the position.

Brαm
Jul 30th, 2003, 04:02 PM
"And if you look at
her records, she was qualified to be because she has been there
and titles won that year 2001 warrant the position."

Say what? :confused:

bandabou
Jul 30th, 2003, 04:08 PM
No one is saying Kim isnīt deserving, but itīs odd that the to be world no.1 hasnīt EVER won a slam! :eek: Thatīs the key world: She has NEVER won a slam! :eek: Lindsay had won a slam in the past and still when she become no.1 two years after she won her last one, people raised eye-brows. Imagine what they will do to one who hasnīt EVER won one?!

Brαm
Jul 30th, 2003, 04:15 PM
No one is saying Kim isnīt deserving, but itīs odd that the to be world no.1 hasnīt EVER won a slam! :eek: Thatīs the key world: She has NEVER won a slam! :eek: Lindsay had won a slam in the past and still when she become no.1 two years after she won her last one, people raised eye-brows. Imagine what they will do to one who hasnīt EVER won one?!
Nuriboy, please, you just keep repeating yourself. You post the same message over & over again :( Can't you just put it in your signature or something?

bandabou
Jul 30th, 2003, 04:18 PM
Nuriboy, please, you just keep repeating yourself. You post the same message over & over again :( Can't you just put it in your signature or something?

The truth is the truth, my friend!

ys
Jul 30th, 2003, 04:36 PM
Hold on a bit, it's not a done deal.

Hold on folks, the party is not over.

Kim still has to earn it. Even though she defends no points till USOpen (and maybe nothing there either), she has some substantive 17th results to overtake each week. They are 122, 170 and 200, plus the current deficit of 265 (to be reduced to 200 next week as Serena will drop 65). So, Kim has to make semis pretty much in the next 3 tourneys just to maintain her current position behind Serena. Of course, one good Win plus a semi or a final will do it.

What for? She wins Acura. In two weeks she is #1. Even if she does not play LA. But if Serena plays Toronto, Kim will almost certainly lose #1, unless she wins Toronto. But will Serens play Toronto?

It's definitely not a cake walk; she has to beat some very good players at the semis. As such, she has to earn the #1.

Definitely, she has to earn it at Acura. Mind you, she once _was_ closer to #1 than she is now. She was two matches away. All she had to do was to beat Capriati and Hingis. She could not. But those were the times when Capriati still knew how to beat a top player in three sets, and Hingis was still playing tennis, so maybe she'll succeed this time, or maybe not. But my opinion is that this tourney is her best chance ever. If she blows it, she might not get it at all.

Serendy Willick
Jul 30th, 2003, 04:38 PM
What for? She wins Acura. In two weeks she is #1. Even if she does not play LA. But if Serena plays Toronto, Kim will almost certainly lose #1, unless she wins Toronto. But will Serens play Toronto?

Definitely, she has to earn it at Acura. Mind you, she once _was_ closer to #1 than she is now. She was two matches away. All she had to do was to beat Capriati and Hingis. She could not. But those were the times when Capriati still knew how to beat a top player in three sets, and Hingis was still playing tennis, so maybe she'll succeed this time, or maybe not. But my opinion is that this tourney is her best chance ever. If she blows it, she might not get it at all.

Do you see the womans draw? ;) Noone is challengeing her. She will get the number one

maccardel
Jul 30th, 2003, 05:00 PM
I think it is remarkable that Kim can make it to number one without having to defeat venus (then #2) , Serena (#1) and Justine (not counting the retired match with the hand)........and not win a slam....if you ask me I think that Justine is more deserving of the top spot cos she did in fact win the French and she did defeat Serena more than once........she earned it.....this opens up a whole lot of conversation and should have the wta thinking about its system.....I think defeating the number one, two and three players should be worth more than they are right now..

ys
Jul 30th, 2003, 05:05 PM
I think it is remarkable that Kim can make it to number one without having to defeat venus (then #2) , Serena (#1) and Justine (not counting the retired match with the hand)........and not win a slam....if you ask me I think that Justine is more deserving of the top spot cos she did in fact win the French and she did defeat Serena more than once........she earned it.....this opens up a whole lot of conversation and should have the wta thinking about its system.....I think defeating the number one, two and three players should be worth more than they are right now..

Really. Win over Justine doesn't count, because of the hand. Win over Venus doesn't count, because she was injured. Win over Serena doesn't count because she was tired. Totally undeserving.

maccardel
Jul 30th, 2003, 06:05 PM
Really. Win over Justine doesn't count, because of the hand. Win over Venus doesn't count, because she was injured. Win over Serena doesn't count because she was tired. Totally undeserving.

damn Kim clijsters. I wish I was in the draw on those occasions.....damn.Maybe I would have been at number one now......damn.

I am referring to the year.....2003 not 2002...that is why I said to start the year off.